2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Blades to PXG 0311T??

BCULAW

Curious if any blade players have made the switch to the PXG 0311Ts. I am a Long time blade player in search of a new set to replace my MIzuno MPs.  I have a strong preference for small profile irons with great feel. The idea of the 0311Ts offering great feel with a bit of added distance and forgiveness is intriguing.

For those that made the switch, how did it go?  What are the trade offs? What are the positives?

• Haha 1

LOL.....   Hunting GIF by memecandy

• Haha 2

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

LOL....I moved from the 0311T G3 to Tiger Blades.  Much prefer the "hammer/nail" feel instead of the "spongebob-squarepants" feel.  But yes of course 0311T a bit better in the forgiveness dept.  I use a combo set of P770/P7MC/P7MB for normal play...the Tiger blades are for pure enjoyment of striking a blade.

😁

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

24 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

LOL....I moved from the 0311T G3 to Tiger Blades.  Much prefer the "hammer/nail" feel instead of the "spongebob-squarepants" feel.  But yes of course 0311T a bit better in the forgiveness dept.  I use a combo set of P770/P7MC/P7MB for normal play...the Tiger blades are for pure enjoyment of striking a blade.

😁

Thanks for the insight. Out of curiosity, how is the profile of the PXG in comparison to the p7TWs?  Small profile is the number one characteristic I look for in an iron. Is the 0311T similar in size to a blade, or is it more along the lines of an AP2/Z785, etc?

19 hours ago, BCULAW said:

Thanks for the insight. Out of curiosity, how is the profile of the PXG in comparison to the p7TWs?  Small profile is the number one characteristic I look for in an iron. Is the 0311T similar in size to a blade, or is it more along the lines of an AP2/Z785, etc?

I find the P7TW to be a larger blade and by comparison fairly similar in size to the 0311T.  I never made measurements of both but I did have them at the same time last Spring, so it has been some time.

Would never say either is a baby blade or small in size.

Pic of the G3 T...P...XP left to right...not much help.

Someone else that currently has them can chime in with better info on size.

Comparison pics link here:

PXG 0311 GEN3 Golf Club Iron Sets - PXG

413688423_pxgbladelength.jpg.9b1915e406d4a8c316f62edf7c8da6d2.jpg

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Thanks. I’m currently playing an older set of MP32s, and honestly don’t want to go any bigger. IBlade/AP2 is about as large as I would want to go, though I honestly prefer smaller. 

The 0311Ps were surprisingly big when I saw them. I have not seen the Ts in person. Any idea what iron they would best compare to in terms of size and playability.?

19 minutes ago, BCULAW said:

Thanks. I’m currently playing an older set of MP32s, and honestly don’t want to go any bigger. IBlade/AP2 is about as large as I would want to go, though I honestly prefer smaller. 

The 0311Ps were surprisingly big when I saw them. I have not seen the Ts in person. Any idea what iron they would best compare to in terms of size and playability.?

They are a modern version of the Ping s55. When I got my Gen3 T last year, I compared my two sets and they're exactly the same size. I posted the pics in one of the PXG threads as well. s55 are not very big and have been a staple in a lot of Ping players bags in the past. You will not go wrong with Gen3 0311T. Just call the local fitter and go hit some and decide whether or not you like them.

• Like 1

I had a set of 0311Ts a couple years ago - part of my irons exploration and was coming out of some Callaway Apex blades at the time. 

My primary issue with them - and this extends to evidently any irons with the whole "injection" of whatever - was I found distance control to be inconsistent. Sometimes an 8 would go 140, sometimes 150, sometimes 160. I'm obviously not a pro so I'm not hitting the sweet spot every time but I'm AROUND it pretty respectably. 

In terms of look at address - which is huge to me as I'm a child of the 80s that grew up playing MacGregor Nicklaus blades - is ... they're not BAD. Definitely a bit thicker on the top but not so much as to be offensive to mine eyes. 

My biggest issue with PXG is I could never just naturally square them at address. I felt like I had to manipulate the balance in a way. My fitter that put me on my P7MCs noted this when I was doing said fitting with the 0211's I had at the time - and I expressed I felt the same way with the 0311s. 

They're great irons for sure - they just simply didn't work for me. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2021 at 2:37 PM, BCULAW said:

Curious if any blade players have made the switch to the PXG 0311Ts. I am a Long time blade player in search of a new set to replace my MIzuno MPs.  I have a strong preference for small profile irons with great feel. The idea of the 0311Ts offering great feel with a bit of added distance and forgiveness is intriguing.

For those that made the switch, how did it go?  What are the trade offs? What are the positives?

Left to right MP-32, MP-64, 0311T. Just got the 0311Ts but on the Sim they were more consistent because they punish slight mishits less. Lofts slightly stronger (32 deg 7-iron) but with the tungsten screws down low, spin & descent angle were comparable. Size is almost identical.

I tried two sets looking for more forgiveness (MP-20 HMB and Mavrik Pro) but just couldn't get along with them. Hope these are a keeper - I played those two Mizuno sets for 15 years and have now bought three sets in a year looking for a suitable replacement. 

33EBE3F0-C224-424C-B85B-23346911DC44.jpeg

48125A02-32E5-4E67-8C5A-14A436111CE7.jpeg

• Like 2

I don’t want to sound like a broken record here, but if you haven’t hit them or looked at them, give the T100 a look. Smaller and compact than any of the previous AP2s, great turf interaction and way more forgiving than they look like. 

• Like 3

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I went from MP-64's to the Gen1 0311T's a few years ago and the size didn't bother me.  I think the Gen3's are a little slimmer still.  I really loved them actually and my strokes gained with mid and long irons improved.  The problem for me was the same as above.  They were a full club longer and created a very difficult situation in the bottom of my bag.  I needed a traditional pitching wedge bent a degree weak as a kind of extra gap wedge.  I didn't want to drop anything from the top, because I was doing so well with it.  I ended up selling them and getting some mint S55's.  90% of the forgiveness, 30% of the sexy, and 100% of the correct gapping I needed to feel comfortable.

I have to say, they were incredible feeling and looking irons to my eye.  Barely any offset and tons of forgiveness and great distance for clubs that didn't have super-jacked lofts.

If I was a 2 wedge player after my PW and needed a little extra distance I may still be in those clubs.  I really liked them.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:37 AM, B.Easy said:

I went from MP-64's to the Gen1 0311T's a few years ago and the size didn't bother me.  I think the Gen3's are a little slimmer still.  I really loved them actually and my strokes gained with mid and long irons improved.  The problem for me was the same as above.  They were a full club longer and created a very difficult situation in the bottom of my bag.  I needed a traditional pitching wedge bent a degree weak as a kind of extra gap wedge.  I didn't want to drop anything from the top, because I was doing so well with it.  I ended up selling them and getting some mint S55's.  90% of the forgiveness, 30% of the sexy, and 100% of the correct gapping I needed to feel comfortable.

I have to say, they were incredible feeling and looking irons to my eye.  Barely any offset and tons of forgiveness and great distance for clubs that didn't have super-jacked lofts.

If I was a 2 wedge player after my PW and needed a little extra distance I may still be in those clubs.  I really liked them.

The wedge is 46 degrees and I don't hit it much farther than I hit my MP-64. Five yards, tops. I have 6 & 5 in the "P" model, bent weak because they're much hotter. I think the Gen 3 short irons are closer to blades than previous generations were.

I played Mavrik Pro for a little while as I've been going full club ho & that 43-degree PW was stupid long.

Caveat is that I'm not a high swing speed player, at least with my irons because I'm trying to keep them straight. Only 82mph SS on a 7-iron.

I came from the reverse as was gaming ‘19 Apex combo and switched to 0311T Gen 3. I find them just as forgiving (even more so on thin strikes) and longer as well. Feel is great and I think they look great. 

If you’re coming from blades I’m sure the forgiveness and tech gains will be even more pronounced. 

• Like 1

I went from 0311T's to Miura MB101's.  The PXG's are larger at address although they have thinned the topline with the current generation.  Like a previous post, distance control with the PXG's was very difficult.  I hit my 0311T 7-iron between 190-205.  I can't tell you why the difference but it cost me a few tournaments last year (nothing worse than flagging one only to be off the back).  My new Miura 7-iron goes 180 the majority of the time.  I'll take that.

To be fair, the forgiveness in the 0311T's is remarkable.  Miura...better hit the center....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rugbydave said:

I went from 0311T's to Miura MB101's.  The PXG's are larger at address although they have thinned the topline with the current generation.  Like a previous post, distance control with the PXG's was very difficult.  I hit my 0311T 7-iron between 190-205.  I can't tell you why the difference but it cost me a few tournaments last year (nothing worse than flagging one only to be off the back).  My new Miura 7-iron goes 180 the majority of the time.  I'll take that.

To be fair, the forgiveness in the 0311T's is remarkable.  Miura...better hit the center....

Exactly. I think every generation has gotten a little better and changing the core material in the club has helped IMO.  They're still longer than what the lofts should suggest, but you don't get that 2 groove high low spin bomber any more. The feel and forgiveness is what is truly remarkable about those clubs.