Tiger vs. Jack

csh19792001

In every major sport, it's probably unfair to compare athletes from different eras. From era to era, there are so many things to consider that are different from then to now. Although the OP makes some very good points, Jack and Tiger are both greatest of all time. 

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

38 minutes ago, hybrid25 said:

In every major sport, it's probably unfair to compare athletes from different eras. From era to era, there are so many things to consider that are different from then to now. Although the OP makes some very good points, Jack and Tiger are both greatest of all time. 

Ben Hogan may have been greater than either. Talent and skill wise? He has a VERY strong case. 

Edited by csh19792001

1 hour ago, csh19792001 said:

Ben Hogan may have been greater than either. Talent and skill wise? He has a VERY strong case. 

Hogan didn’t win a solo tournament until after his 27th birthday.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone ever claim he was more talented than Nelson or Snead, let alone Tiger and Jack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdnglf said:

Hogan didn’t win a solo tournament until after his 27th birthday.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone ever claim he was more talented than Nelson or Snead, let alone Tiger and Jack.

For starters...

Between June 1948 and July of 1953, Hogan played in 11 Majors.  He won 8 of them. 

Prior to getting hit head on by a bus 2/2/49, Hogan played 80 events (from 1946-the accident). He won 32 of them.

Does anyone know the final round scoring averages in Majors for Tiger and Nicklaus' playing partners?

I ask because nobody ever really beat Tiger besides Y.E. Yang, no? And how many people went out and beat Nicklaus? Many. 

Tiger's closest competitors always seemed to wilt and fade under the pressure. 

17 hours ago, jomatty said:

To say it was Jack is a great insult to Tiger, and golf in general.  Sports evolve and to pretend that they don’t is silly.  Imagine what mike trout would have done in Babe Ruth’s era.  Imagine Max Sherzer pitching in 1930.  Imagine tiger competing in 1965.  All of those greats, and great they were, including Jack, would be in big trouble. 

Are you talking about time-machining players between eras? Because that method doesn't work. It isn't fair at all.  Of course Babe Ruth would struggle mightily today, time-machined into 2020 MLB.

Mike Trout would struggle mightily for different reasons in Honus Wagner's Era, also....consider ONE home run was hit over the fence in 10 years from 1900-mid 1909 in Wagner's home park. Trout relies on walks and home runs for most of his offensive value...(as does almost everyone in the 21st century.)

"Transposing" superstars (e.g., making Babe Ruth born and raised in 1991 (ala Mike Trout) instead of 1895 doesn't really "work" either)..

Imagine Babe Ruth on steroids and PED's? Imagine him with sophisticated weight training and strength and fitness coaches for 22 years? Imagine him with a coterie of trainers and nutritionists and hitting coaches and experts behind him? Imagine Babe playing in today's (total) bandbox parks, which are 40 feet shorter to the power alleys and 60 feet shorter to center, on average? Imagine Babe growing up with all the kinks worked out of his swing and approach? Imagine him in an era where athletes were entirely discouraged from drinking, smoking, cavorting, and carousing? 

The list goes on.

All we can do is speculate and assess skills and relative dominance.

Tiger and Jack didn't miss each other by that much, in fact, they played together a few times, and played against the same players, extensively (Norman, Kite, etc. etc. including contention in many Majors).

To me, this makes the comparison fairly valid and worthy of discussion. 

2 hours ago, ebk said:

There is no answer...

However, I truly believe that no one will beat 37 top two’s in majors.  JWN owns that.  

Similar to Cy Young’s (511-315) W-L record...

Nicklaus' 48 top 3's in Majors is arguably the greatest record in the entire history of s ports. 

It's like Wilt Chamberlain's records. Impossible. I don't care if the fields weren't as deep in Jack's era versus Tiger's. Jack has TWICE as many top 3's as Mickelson and Tiger, COMBINED. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 5.38.27 AM.png

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 9:59 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

Did anyone ever throw up a 64 or 65 against Tiger in the final round?  

How many players playing with Woods, or right there with him, played like this? 

How many players who played with Nicklaus, or right there with him, played lights out in the final round? 

On 1/19/2021 at 8:33 PM, bscinstnct said:

Jack won the 1966 Open

90% of the players were from the UK. And 4 amateurs finished in the top-30

Tigers first Open win was in 2000

The field reflected a far higher percentage of US players as well as international participation.
No amateurs even made the cut. 

Can you please cite your source re: "90% of the players were from the UK in 1966"? 

Thanks!

15 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

I was thinking the same thing...different eras. Though I give the nod to Jack if pressed. He also had 19 runner up finishes in majors. 

1 hour ago, csh19792001 said:

Nicklaus' 48 top 3's in Majors is arguably the greatest record in the entire history of s ports. 

It's like Wilt Chamberlain's records. Impossible. I don't care if the fields weren't as deep in Jack's era versus Tiger's. Jack has TWICE as many top 3's as Mickelson and Tiger, COMBINED. 

Love both Jack and Tiger, but would like to offer a different perspective on the TOP THREE argument for "greatness." 

Contending doesn't mean anything.  All golfers that tee it up on Thursday have the ability to "contend."  

Down the stretch, I would argue Jack left 12 wins on the table for not "outplaying" his opponents and that Tiger left fewer than 6. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csh19792001 said:

The chart you share is impressive. Does this factor in how many majors one has played? I think Tiger played many less than Jack.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

2 hours ago, csh19792001 said:

You're pretty much talking to yourself here, and you've covered this top 3 part at least a couple of times with the claim of 48, so please tell yourself that Nicklaus had 9 third place finishes in Majors.  18+19+9 = 46 top 3 finishes. 

Need to be accurate.

And thanks for the reminder that Tiger also failed to conquer one of Wilt Chamberlain's records, but gave it a good try. 😉

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

You're pretty much talking to yourself here, and you've covered this top 3 part at least a couple of times with the claim of 48, so please tell yourself that Nicklaus had 9 third place finishes in Majors.  18+19+9 = 46 top 3 finishes. 

Need to be accurate.

And thanks for the reminder that Tiger also failed to conquer one of Wilt Chamberlain's records, but gave it a good try. 😉

Tiger played in more threesomes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

Tiger played in more threesomes.

Fair point, but i've seen some old footage....Let's just say this, Wilt went 1 on 5 a lot.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, Frostfield said:

Can I kill this thread?  What we think really doesn’t matter.  What the greats think does.  They have said Tiger is the greatest.  Jack, Tom, Trevino (said he had to bite his lip), Palmer.  Look it up.  They said Tiger is the greatest.  That’s enough for me.  I agree with them.

You just said what you think doesn't matter!

Pick 1 or the other, pick both, any side of it is defensible, IMO.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, csh19792001 said:

Are you talking about time-machining players between eras? Because that method doesn't work. It isn't fair at all.  Of course Babe Ruth would struggle mightily today, time-machined into 2020 MLB.

Mike Trout would struggle mightily for different reasons in Honus Wagner's Era, also....consider ONE home run was hit over the fence in 10 years from 1900-mid 1909 in Wagner's home park. Trout relies on walks and home runs for most of his offensive value...(as does almost everyone in the 21st century.)

"Transposing" superstars (e.g., making Babe Ruth born and raised in 1991 (ala Mike Trout) instead of 1895 doesn't really "work" either)..

Imagine Babe Ruth on steroids and PED's? Imagine him with sophisticated weight training and strength and fitness coaches for 22 years? Imagine him with a coterie of trainers and nutritionists and hitting coaches and experts behind him? Imagine Babe playing in today's (total) bandbox parks, which are 40 feet shorter to the power alleys and 60 feet shorter to center, on average? Imagine Babe growing up with all the kinks worked out of his swing and approach? Imagine him in an era where athletes were entirely discouraged from drinking, smoking, cavorting, and carousing? 

The list goes on.

All we can do is speculate and assess skills and relative dominance.

Tiger and Jack didn't miss each other by that much, in fact, they played together a few times, and played against the same players, extensively (Norman, Kite, etc. etc. including contention in many Majors).

To me, this makes the comparison fairly valid and worthy of discussion. 

My point was kind of that time machine-I got players doesn’t work. Because the modern player would always win.  I agree that their eras were close enough that it is worthy of discussion, but that’s all it is, people giving their opinions based on their biases. While they were close enough to be worth discussion they also were very different fields of competition. It would be interesting to ask players that actually played against both of them who they would be more afraid of in their prime. The only one I’ve ever heard weigh in on this that played a lot with both of them was Mark O’meara and he came down on the side of Tiger. I’d be interested to see what others thought. My guess is that if tiger played in the 60s and 70s that he would have been so much more dominant than he was. The equipment advances hurt him a lot.  But it’s all just opinions and guesswork...

for what it’s worth I strongly disagree that Mike Trout or any other high-level player modern player would struggle in the dead ball era.  They would not rely on walks and homeruns the way they do now but they would change their game and still be dominant. Bigger, stronger and faster wins in sports whether we like it or not...

Edited by jomatty