PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters

pga43

46 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Just returned from messing around on a few driver holes at my club. The Gen4 X is a beast with 15g front, 2.5g in back/side and VA Drago as the engine. The ball explodes off the face with a nice penetrating flight. Same as it has on my gamer fairways over the last few years. I was seeing considerable improvement in distance as compared to my Proto X with the EF T1100. Not sure why I waited so long to install it into a driver. Going to give the Proto X and XT each a chance to dance with the Drago before making a permanent change in the leadoff position.

Also have Drago in my Gen4 3 & 5, launching rockets as well, but I need to fine tune a few weight settings with each to get the same swing feels. For instance, I have Drago 85 in my Ping G400 5f, but not in my Gen4. I went lighter in the Gen4 and it just doesn't feel the same. With my gamer, I can swing as hard as I want and it just goes straight no questions asked. Right now I don't have the same confidence in the Gen4 with a lighter shaft. I'll probably break down and get the same shaft for the Gen4, but I'm trying to configure the feel weight-wise before doing so. 

I was in the same boat and really once you get through a couple buckets and a round or two, you just know. Looking forward to the finally snaggy. Have fun in the journey too. 

• Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

14 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

So, come to report my weekend tourney…hit driver very very well, but had some really bad breaks. Because I hit it too long 🤦🏻‍♂️.  I love my driver and the set up but this course played really weird from its typical playing. Fairways hard and fast, like literally running out 60-70 yds which puts you into thick rough or ob. And the course had 15-20 mph winds that played havoc on the course. Didn’t place but def wasn’t drivers fault. More of bad luck, bare fairways and no luck. Literally had 7 lipped putts for par or bogey 

We’ve all been there and I always look back at great shots that didn’t allow for scoring to its just not my day. Doesn’t mean same shot different day on a different course or hole, that it’s not going to allow me to score. You know how well the shot was you hit. Thanks for the update! 

• Thanks 2

I want to follow up, my playing partners today were really impressed with how far some of my drives were going into the wind, despite the strong  winds in our face. On a shorter par 4, without wind I’m normally in the 50-40 yd from green range, today even with the dead in face wind I was only 55 yds away the next closest guy was 100+ out. 

• Like 3

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (11.5d) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Project X Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO MP 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

10 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

We’ve all been there and I always look back at great shots that didn’t allow for scoring to its just not my day. Doesn’t mean same shot different day on a different course or hole, that it’s not going to allow me to score. You know how well the shot was you hit. Thanks for the update! 

You’re exactly right, despite the score I actually played well, obviously a few holes each day hurt, but the overall weekend went how I wanted striking the ball and felt I was in control of 95% of my shots. 

• Like 2

These last few posts show that the Gen4 is really good and the Proto is as well. You guys are awesome and enjoy fellas. The journey is fun my friends. Great rounds by everyone. 

I can add that I do have my Gen2 Gunboat putter also dialed in and that attributed to my good score. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I ended up ordering a Gen4 X 9* with a Ventus Blue 6X tipped half an inch at 45".  I bought some additional weights to mess around with it when it gets here.  I have never hit a Ventus shaft and normally go with a 70+ weight shaft.  I hope I didn't make a mistake with the shaft.  

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

6 minutes ago, Hstead said:

I ended up ordering a Gen4 X 9* with a Ventus Blue 6X tipped half an inch at 45".  I bought some additional weights to mess around with it when it gets here.  I have never hit a Ventus shaft and normally go with a 70+ weight shaft.  I hope I didn't make a mistake with the shaft.  

Ventus is a great shaft and very sturdy. I don’t think you’ll have a problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hstead said:

Will be an amazing setup for sure. 

• Like 3

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, dmossu said:

Man reading all your comments about the Gen4 driver and the Proto is getting me excited for my fitting in a few weeks. 

I only wish I could hit the Sim2 / Epic Speed to compare. Maybe I'll make a trip to Dick's to see if they'll let me hit them with their simulator a few days before PXG fitting to compare 😂

Thats a great idea. Owning SIM2MAX Proto+ and G4XF, I can tell you they are all very similar on good strikes. Really it comes down to shaft and how much you like the address position and look. The weighting can be dialed after all that easily for all three. Good luck 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

Thats a great idea. Owning SIM2MAX Proto+ and G4XF, I can tell you they are all very similar on good strikes. Really it comes down to shaft and how much you like the address position and look. The weighting can be dialed after all that easily for all three. Good luck 

How do they compare on bad strikes? 

1 hour ago, dmossu said:

How do they compare on bad strikes? 

I would say low center XF with heavy weight forward is best…Proto is best on the toe strike with heavier weight toe port, and SIM2MAX wins for sure high heel and low heel. Like I said earlier center or center high all are so good 

• Like 1

I'm looking to buy a Gen4 x driver blind as have no local fitters. 

I'm someone who plays a Ping G410 plus in 9 degrees, has played the LST version in 10.5 and hates drivers that looks closed. Sounds like i should be shooting for the 10.5 over the 9 and with the ability to dial it down / open it up?

9 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

I'm looking to buy a Gen4 x driver blind as have no local fitters. 

I'm someone who plays a Ping G410 plus in 9 degrees, has played the LST version in 10.5 and hates drivers that looks closed. Sounds like i should be shooting for the 10.5 over the 9 and with the ability to dial it down / open it up?

I think either a 9 set in standard or a 10.5 loft sleeve on big minus will fit the bill nicely. The G4X is definitely square in standard set up. Where the G4XF is a degree closed in neutral to my eye. Good luck 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

Wanted to add a few things after a fitting I just got back from.

Blackbird putter - this thing is way smaller than the pictures would indicate - I really liked it.  The fitter also noticed that in my setup the toe was up - that explains a lot as to why my short putt miss is left 😞  Feel is great to me - very soft - heavy feeling

Gen 4 FWs - I struggled to be consistent with Gen 2 FWs and tried the Proto FWs - they definitely spun more than the G2s, but I lost distance due to spin - I tried a lot of adjusting to eliminate the spin issue and strike consistency - could not do it.  The fitting was perfect - I was hitting baseline shots with my 5W off a tee to eliminate the tight lie of the range.  I was kind of all over the place (normally on the course I am way more consistent with these).  Then he gave me a G4 5W and I striped 5 in a row.  Same with the G4 3W.

IMO the spin of the G4 FWs is like the driver - it just feels right and centering the strike is a no brainer.  I can not wait to get them on the course.

The G4 driver continues to be a rock star - many shots I hit that are not quite centered but still get out there - it has really changed things for me - once you are confident in the big stick you can swing more freely with it, and for me the rest of the game follows suit.  GD Tour AD TP shaft and G4 hybrid are due to arrive today - looking forward to it

Good stuff man. I like what you are seeing with the Gen4 FW's. I have an iron fitting tomorrow and also want to compare my Proto 3 an 3 woods againt the Gen4's. I am seeing what you are saying about the Proto's spnning too much. 

Will say I hope I get fit into the Gen3 P's, but we shall see.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

56 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Have a feeling my XT is gonna get Wally Pipped...Between the Gen4 X and Proto X, it may never play out of my bag again...They're both just really good...

I can’t shake the Proto+ from my bag. I have tried and failed now with three different drivers. I’m gaming Proto+
till the end of time I suspect 

• Haha 1

Man - PXG is cruel 🙂  I had a Gen 4 hybrid and GD Tour AD TP shaft in transit for 8 days (15 total), and it arrived today - well part of it did.  They shipped the hybrid and no driver shaft 😞  I have a golf trip starting on the 16th - trying to see if they can fast turn the driver shaft and send it out by tomorrow so it might get up here in time.

They have screwed up the last two orders on me.  An FYI on credits back to your credit card - they take forever to even get done and who knows how long to post - been waiting 3 weeks on a credit.

• Sad 2

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Tried the Gen4 3 wood during my iron fitting yesterday against my Proto 3 wood and 5 wood. The fitter did not have a fitting after me so we went another 30 minutes trying to dial in fairways. Told him I was not elevating the Proto's like I should. Tried several shafts and head tweaking (and a little swing tweak) and the Proto out performed the Gen4 for me. I was spinning the Gen4 too much. Got my Proto's to launch about 6* more and gained about 15 yds on both clubs. Stayed with the shaft I have in them which is the stock Diamana S+. The Proto 5 wood was the standout for sure. Carrying it 215 yds and higher and spinning around 3300. 

Another great fitting by PXG. By the way, ordered Gen3 P's 4-GW Elevate Tour S. Can say the OG 0211's were still really good. Awesome irons that I thought I would not let go.

• Like 4

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

2 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Tried the Gen4 3 wood during my iron fitting yesterday against my Proto 3 wood and 5 wood. The fitter did not have a fitting after me so we went another 30 minutes trying to dial in fairways. Told him I was not elevating the Proto's like I should. Tried several shafts and head tweaking (and a little swing tweak) and the Proto out performed the Gen4 for me. I was spinning the Gen4 too much. Got my Proto's to launch about 6* more and gained about 15 yds on both clubs. Stayed with the shaft I have in them which is the stock Diamana S+. The Proto 5 wood was the standout for sure. Carrying it 215 yds and higher and spinning around 3300. 

Another great fitting by PXG. By the way, ordered Gen3 P's 4-GW Elevate Tour S. Can say the OG 0211's were still really good. Awesome irons that I thought I would not let go.

Very cool - glad things worked out.  Interesting that the Gen 4s spun more than the Protos, but the shaft is a big factor in that one.  Dialing in the clubs is really cool and the PXG heads have the ability to line up with you if you have the tie and weights 🙂 

I was expecting to spend a lot time dialing in the Gen 4s but they just worked for me - they were exactly what I thought they would be with respect to strike and feel off the face.  The Protos feel/sound like there is more spring, from the face and a touch more hollow sounding to me.  It would seem that that makes sense with the smaller TPE insert in the Protos.

Now if the right  clubs ever arrive 🙂  The Gen3 Ps should be awesome - let us know how they work out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

14 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Very cool - glad things worked out.  Interesting that the Gen 4s spun more than the Protos, but the shaft is a big factor in that one.  Dialing in the clubs is really cool and the PXG heads have the ability to line up with you if you have the tie and weights 🙂 

I was expecting to spend a lot time dialing in the Gen 4s but they just worked for me - they were exactly what I thought they would be with respect to strike and feel off the face.  The Protos feel/sound like there is more spring, from the face and a touch more hollow sounding to me.  It would seem that that makes sense with the smaller TPE insert in the Protos.

Now if the right  clubs ever arrive 🙂  The Gen3 Ps should be awesome - let us know how they work out.

Thanks man. I will say I like the more rounded shape of the Gen4 fairway and they felt great. The Gen4 fairway definitely sounded more muted and I like that. Honestly, did not want them to work out. LOL. Spent my lot on the irons and was hoping the Proto's were good enough. 

Hoping to get the irons next week.

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I really wish I had the funds to order me a set of the Gen3 irons, but for about $400 less I ordered some Mizuno irons with shaft & grip of choice and specs to fill the void, plus they look really good too. 

on vaca this week and played a course with cheap & old rental clubs 🥴, man did I miss my Gen4 driver. Can’t wait to get back home and hit it again. Sunday will be 2 weeks without hitting it 😢.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Quick follow up, if I had my driver I would have most likely shot my best round ever…shot an 81 yesterday, but a big BUT, the Ping G5 with regular flex shaft I had to use caused me 5 OB balls with a big ol draw that isn’t in my arsenal.  My PXG wouldn’t have done me like that 😬😜 and would have shot a 73-74 most likely. 

1 hour ago, eddiebigeddie said:

I really wish I had the funds to order me a set of the Gen3 irons, but for about $400 less I ordered some Mizuno irons with shaft & grip of choice and specs to fill the void, plus they look really good too. 

on vaca this week and played a course with cheap & old rental clubs 🥴, man did I miss my Gen4 driver. Can’t wait to get back home and hit it again. Sunday will be 2 weeks without hitting it 😢.

Nothing wrong with Mizuno irons. I still play my 921F 4-PW and they perfect. Almost interchangeable with the Gen3 P/T combos. I do like the first groove white line on the PXG’s a lot. 

I feel your pain. I just got back from vacation but I brought my sticks and glad I did. I played with a walk-on and his caddy that missed USOPEN qualifier by 2 shots. His longest drive I GPS/walked off was 356yards. Was awesome to see that ball speed on a normal resort track. FWIW he also played Mizuno irons. 

Travel safe brother 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

Nothing wrong with Mizuno irons. I still play my 921F 4-PW and they perfect. Almost interchangeable with the Gen3 P/T combos. I do like the first groove white line on the PXG’s a lot. 

I feel your pain. I just got back from vacation but I brought my sticks and glad I did. I played with a walk-on and his caddy that missed USOPEN qualifier by 2 shots. His longest drive I GPS/walked off was 356yards. Was awesome to see that ball speed on a normal resort track. FWIW he also played Mizuno irons. 

Travel safe brother 

Thanks Evo!  Yeah I’ve had several sets of Mizunos, great clubs. Finally decided to get a set that “hopefully” will be around a Long time. Currently playing Z565 irons and while I love them, just something missing in the 5 & 6.  So going with 921 Hot Metals this go around with Black Lz 6.0 shafts and Z-grip align grips. 

I played three rounds with the PXG Gen4 0811X.  I assume I have become accustomed to the Velocore 6X because when I had my shoot out tonight with the TSi3, Blue Bullet AD BB 7x, the Titleist combo felt heavy, harsh, and more work to swing.  I hooked the first few TSi3's, low and left.  I also am used to looking at the Gen4 too, and the TSi3 looks like it has so much less loft even though they are both 9* and it sits more closed to me.  I really thought it would be a close shoot out, but where I have gotten comfortable with the Gen4 X, it was no contest.  The TSi3 will be for sale shortly along with a few Titleist shafts.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

1 hour ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Thanks Evo!  Yeah I’ve had several sets of Mizunos, great clubs. Finally decided to get a set that “hopefully” will be around a Long time. Currently playing Z565 irons and while I love them, just something missing in the 5 & 6.  So going with 921 Hot Metals this go around with Black Lz 6.0 shafts and Z-grip align grips. 

Great choices. A man of similar tastes blackout LZ 5.5 HS1x for my Mizzies 

CFA86E6F-91C7-4E48-ABD8-A06812BC8ECE.jpeg

CC342970-90AA-4F71-B518-D8030939F67D.jpeg

695F3E49-60DC-4D08-8594-38EEDBD49EA8.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Glad to hear the woods work for you!

None of the 3 fairways have worked for me at all. 0211 lacked ball speed, Proto had way too much spin, Gen4 is just ok

Driver and hybrid on the other hand have been clear cut winners for me. The 7.5* loft has a little to do with it but the Gen4 driver has given me 10 yards more than the Proto (and Proto was best driver id ever played). The Proto hybrid was giving me the same distance as the Proto 3w and currently the Gen4 17* 2h is about 5 yards longer than the Gen4 3w after getting some numbers from a fitting

Decided im dropping the 3w and lofting down the 2h to 16*. Added a 19* utility ......but 3w is a spot in the bag I never use anyway so no loss there

• Like 4

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Its so telling how much fitting for clubs are needed. For my fits at PXG and with my custom builder, 0211 3 wood was always tops in ball speed and lower spin compared to Proto (with TM SIM2MAX 3wood a touch faster BS). Albeit I tested Accra TZ6, 3 different Speeders, all the Ventus, Diamana BF/ZF/RF, and a couple Hand Crafted PX shafts before deciding along with some serious hot melt and custom weighting, low and face side (head is at basically a 5wood weight at 221grams) playing D2 at 42.25". Love her when I get her nicely off the deck with a negative 1-2 attack...sublime feeling.

My Proto 5wood and 3 SIM DHY (driving iron) are interchangeable distance and spin with he 3SIM DHY getting bagged due to better tee control (has never let me down for a nice high towering 240yard shot with a hint of fade (like feet not yards of left to right). Again dialed...sound is a little "clicky", but performance trumps this for sure.

Before this, I was a Atmos TS 9S PXG Gen2 2HY guy and loved her, but with out question off the deck I can get 15-20 yards more with the 0211 3weird with much better launch conditions than with the Gen2 2HY, also tested the SIM 2 Hybrid (tour sized head with adj neck sleeve) and  Diamana Thump 90 with lots of HM (12 grams I think) for my playing length at D2 and it was really easy to hit...just a bit too long compared to the 3SIM DHY gap with the 0211 3 wood.

Lesson here, everyone needs to try and try again until you get that gap filled to play your course(s) and never discount ball and heads for spin optimization or desire, and the correct shafts for marrying up strike location and feel.

Edited by evoviiiyou
spell
  • Like 2