PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters

pga43

Was told Gen 5 is in the pipeline and that’s why everything is being moved so low.  Interested to see when it drops.  Would guess 2022, but w/ Bob who knows.

• Like 2

GAMER SETUP:

Titleist TSi3 9* | GD Tour AD GP7x 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 5W | Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black (Tip'd 1")

PXG Gen2 0341X 7W | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Yellow(Tip'd 1")

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P | DG X100 +1"

PXG Gen3 0311T G | KBS CTaper Lite X +1"

Titleist 54* RAW Vokey SM8 | KBS Tour X +1"

PING 58* Glide 3.0 | Nippon Z-Z115 +3/4"

TM MySpiderX | 36" - 71* - 3*

1 hour ago, N2N2 said:

Thank you.  I have the Proto X in 9. It's pretty good, but must admit I've thought about a new driver.  I don't like left either. If I purchased a new X would go 10.5 and open the face.  XF and 0211 had me thinking.  PXG price is great right now, but don't need either. Ha. Thanks again. 

If you are dialed with the Proto X its as good as any out there. If you want the new look the G4X is the one I suspect for you.  The XF is nice but really has to be dialed to take the draw bias (more like pull start line) at set up but can be done.  If it had the Proto toe weight port would be pretty perfect or 5 grams hot melt out in the toe in my opinion. I am going to game this Proto+ until the carbon crown falls off, and then goto my back up Proto+ shines new in the golf locker when that happens. Looking forward to Gen5 to see if they evolve the cosmetics again and also the weighting scheme to see if that will be a viable test dummy in probably 2022.  

10.5 X with open loft sleeve, would be for sure a Darth Fader.  Good luck my man

• Like 2

TM SIM2 MAX 10.5/ACCRA TZ6 65 M4/GP TW BLK 

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-7/PX IO 6.0/GP TW BLK

PXG GEN3 0311T 8-GW/PX IO 6.0/GP TW BLK

PXG 0311 FORGED 56/10 & 60/09/PX IO 6.0/GP TW BLK

TM SPIDER X CHALK CS/PX 6.5 BLK OUT/SS PS 1.0 BLK/WHT

TM TP5X 2021

I am contemplating a look at the Gen 4 irons - not because they are Gen 4, but because I am thinking the shafts in my Gen 3 P irons is causing me accuracy grief.  I had the Modus Pro 105 shafts in my Gen 2 irons and had a fitting for Gen 3 and they changed me to 1º flat, +½" and went with the Elevate 95 shaft - I can fade these irons (lifelong hooker) and I love the feel of the clubs.

My forged wedges have the Elevate Tour shafts - 117g from 102g in the irons. The thing that has been an issue the whole time with these irons is the transition between the wedges and the Pitching Wedge.  The distance and control of my W is not nearly to the level of the wedges.  All of my irons are not as consistent as the wedges. I put in a session with various wedges and could tell when I went from the wedges to the irons with the lighter shaft, everything was harder to hit and dial in - I think I need the Elevate Tour weight.  The Modus 105s in my previous wedges caused golfing spasm shots - once I had the extra weight, everything calmed down in my head and swing.

Anyone else have a change in shaft weight like this between your wedges and irons?  Also anyone have experience with the Gen 4's.  Not expecting mystical things from the Gen 4, just want weights that work with my brain/swing.

• Like 1

PXG Gen 4 0811X 10.5º, GD Tour AD TP

PXG 0341x Gen4 15º  & 18º, GD Tour AD TP

PXG 0317x Gen4 22º  4h, Tensei CK Pro Blue 

PXG 0311P Gen4 Black  5-W, Elevate 95 

PXG 0311 Black Milled Wedges - 50º, 54º, 60º, Elevate Tour

PXG BlackBird

Lots of Bench Warmers 🤣

My last three rounds have been the best driving rounds I have ever had.  Guys at the club are noticing and ordering PXG drivers.  The thing that confuses me though is the PXG Tour players seem to play other drivers?  I have no clue why.  The Gen4 is just as good or better than any other driver on the market.  

My sons Proto X will be here tomorrow and he is stoked.

• Like 1

PXG Gen4 0811 X Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Srixon ZX 15* Ventus Blue Velocore7 X
Callaway Super Hybrid 20* Tensei Orange X

PXG Gen 3 0311P Elevate Tour X100
PXG Sugar Daddy 56* and 60^/07
Evnroll ER8 Midlock
ProV1X

8 minutes ago, GFish said:

I was going to buy two more Sugar Daddy’s, a 54 and 60.  Love my GW (50) so far.  Great feel and easy to hit.  Has anyone heard if those will be updated soon?  Seems like not a lot that they could make better though.  Thanks!

They were released in Jan 2020 so its getting on the longer end of the cycle. I'd imagine we'll see new items early next year along with some Gen5 designs since Bob always asks when the next Gen will be ready before they release the current Gen. I also want to pick some up, but trying to wait it out a bit as I have a plethora of wedges including my Artisan which are very good and perform outstanding.  

wrong thread response 

Edited by evoviiiyou
error
  • Haha 1

TM TP5X 2021

32 minutes ago, CFH said:

Got my gen 4 xf yesterday, it replaces my proto x+. Playd 18 holes last night and it's a keeper. According to my shotscope data it my p-avg with the gen 4 is 14 yards longer.

I hit 86% of fairways in regulation as well.

Very impressed

Wow impressive.  Spin and launch must have been put in check my friend.  Whats your loft sleeve and weight set up?

TM TP5X 2021

44 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

Wow impressive.  Spin and launch must have been put in check my friend.  Whats your loft sleeve and weight set up?

10.5 head set to small + so 11.5

7.5g in rear,5g in front and 2.5g in heel

Shaft is 50g regular flex evenflow

My proto had regular shaft helum black 59g

15g in front and 2.5 in the other ports.

Going to give the helium a try to tomorrow and see how that goes.

As expected the even flow seemed to launch a big higher than the helium which seemed to give me more carry. 

I did notice the extra forgiveness my first couple of drives were not the best,  it still, went a decent distance for me and were still in the fairway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CFH said:

I did notice the extra forgiveness my first couple of drives were not the best,  it still, went a decent distance for me and were still in the fairway.

Haha on this comment - get used to having to explain to your playing partners that the strike was not that good when the ball flies pretty normal.  It is amazing how well the balls near the perimeter of the face fly.  They do not have tons of sidespin and still get out there.

• Like 2

PXG BlackBird

Lots of Bench Warmers 🤣

44 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Haha on this comment - get used to having to explain to your playing partners that the strike was not that good when the ball flies pretty normal.  It is amazing how well the balls near the perimeter of the face fly.  They do not have tons of sidespin and still get out there.

That is the main reason I switched from the proto, I struggle with the driver for the first few holes and the gen 4 looks like it will keep me in play until I get the driver working.

I got a few groans last night when I hit the ball and complained I hit it poor only for it to soar down the middle of the fairway.

I have a full bag of PXG now and my target was to get from 23 to 20 this year and I am now off 19. So need a new goal. Another target was to break 90 this year and I have done so 5 times already . 

• Like 3

What’s the verdict on the gen4 xt?

I loved the low profile of last years TM sim and have read that they are comparable with a slight edge to the xt in forgiveness. Does it fly lower than the standard X or the same?

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

37 minutes ago, MizunoMade said:

What’s the verdict on the gen4 xt?

I loved the low profile of last years TM sim and have read that they are comparable with a slight edge to the xt in forgiveness. Does it fly lower than the standard X or the same?

Lower, penetrating flight pattern. Need to be a good ball striker and higher end club head speed to maximize. I recommend getting fit for this driver, actually any driver, to those interested in it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Lower, penetrating flight pattern. Need to be a good ball striker and higher end club head speed to maximize. I recommend getting fit for this driver, actually any driver, to those interested in it. 

Okay, so it is that much more demanding than the X?

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

Just now, MizunoMade said:

Okay, so it is that much more demanding than the X?

For me when I tested it up at Scottsdale, the X was a little lower spin than the the XT.  Launch were similar and the XT was very similar in every way to my former Tour Issue OG Sim driver (except the XT sounded better). If you have a pretty tight strike pattern its not much more to handle just a shallower face (less deep). 

TM TP5X 2021

27 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

For me when I tested it up at Scottsdale, the X was a little lower spin than the the XT.  Launch were similar and the XT was very similar in every way to my former Tour Issue OG Sim driver (except the XT sounded better). If you have a pretty tight strike pattern its not much more to handle just a shallower face (less deep). 

My favorite thing about the og sim was the shallow face. My strike varies depending on form. I am kind of sweet spot or extreme miss kind of guy.

• Like 1

Gen4 looks nice for sure!  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Still madly in love with my Gen2 hybee

• Like 1

TM TP5X 2021

3 hours ago, MizunoMade said:

My favorite thing about the og sim was the shallow face. My strike varies depending on form. I am kind of sweet spot or extreme miss kind of guy.

Many golfers have a strike pattern with a driver that goes from low heel to high toe, and I always wondered why that was.  I thought it was me, and it ultimately is me because I am swinging the club but why is the club reacting that way when I swing it?

I now believe that it is because the shaft is not working with the head/player/shaft combo.  When the club comes into the ball, they all droop down (meaning the toe is lower than it was at address in relation to the shaft.  The shaft also is either leading, neutral or trailing in relation to the shaft as well.  That strike pattern is really telling you what the shaft did on that shot.

I first noticed this on the GC Quad as an incredibly high dynamic loft.  I did not put it all together until I got fit for the GD Tour AD TP shaft with my Gen 4 driver and everything locked in.  That shaft has allowed me to swing with a smooth controlled swing to going after it with everything I have and results are super consistent.  If I went after it with the Riptide CB shaft I would get some wild shots - again I thought that was due to a bad swing and it was due to the shaft not hanging with my swing on that shot.

I think the fit on the shaft is huge.  During any fitting I would swing as hard as you can, easy and somewhere in between and see what the shaft does.  Pick one that is the best of all of those swings, because you are not a robot and will vary in the swing you put on the ball and you do NOT want to hit a Sh&t ball at a crucial time (or at any time).  If you can find the right shaft like I did, that extra worry baggage in between your ears goes away and you play golf instead of playing golf in fear.

I think a fitting with a high speed camera would really show you what is going on but you can tell by dynamic loft, strike location and ball flight.  Okay around and see what you find out - I would love to hear feedback and your results with this.  I can say that GD Tour AD TP shaft is not going anywhere for me 🙂 

• Like 3

PXG BlackBird

Lots of Bench Warmers 🤣

1 hour ago, evoviiiyou said:

Gen4 looks nice for sure!  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Still madly in love with my Gen2 hybee

So am I, but I figured I'd grab the Gen4 and give them a test. At first glance, Gen4 has a slightly larger footprint which might take some getting use to.  But in the end, Its all about performance. We'll get to work on that later today!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Gen2 vs Gen4 0317 X

20210723_140450.jpg

20210723_140628.jpg

20210723_140848.jpg

Love the Gen4. I like the white lines in the Gen4 line. That thing will be money!

• Like 1

TM Sim2 Max 10.5 GD HD 6s
TM Sim Max 15* Tensei Blue 65S

TM M2 19* Hybrid Fuji Pro S
PXG 0311 Gen3 P 4-GW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 54* Elevate Tour S 
TM MG3 60* HB DG S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour

Titleist ProV1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:14 PM, ajlacombe said:

Many golfers have a strike pattern with a driver that goes from low heel to high toe, and I always wondered why that was.  I thought it was me, and it ultimately is me because I am swinging the club but why is the club reacting that way when I swing it?

I now believe that it is because the shaft is not working with the head/player/shaft combo.  When the club comes into the ball, they all droop down (meaning the toe is lower than it was at address in relation to the shaft.  The shaft also is either leading, neutral or trailing in relation to the shaft as well.  That strike pattern is really telling you what the shaft did on that shot.

I first noticed this on the GC Quad as an incredibly high dynamic loft.  I did not put it all together until I got fit for the GD Tour AD TP shaft with my Gen 4 driver and everything locked in.  That shaft has allowed me to swing with a smooth controlled swing to going after it with everything I have and results are super consistent.  If I went after it with the Riptide CB shaft I would get some wild shots - again I thought that was due to a bad swing and it was due to the shaft not hanging with my swing on that shot.

I think the fit on the shaft is huge.  During any fitting I would swing as hard as you can, easy and somewhere in between and see what the shaft does.  Pick one that is the best of all of those swings, because you are not a robot and will vary in the swing you put on the ball and you do NOT want to hit a Sh&t ball at a crucial time (or at any time).  If you can find the right shaft like I did, that extra worry baggage in between your ears goes away and you play golf instead of playing golf in fear.

I think a fitting with a high speed camera would really show you what is going on but you can tell by dynamic loft, strike location and ball flight.  Okay around and see what you find out - I would love to hear feedback and your results with this.  I can say that GD Tour AD TP shaft is not going anywhere for me 🙂 

I hear you. The thing for me is that I have many injuries from my sporting life so sometimes my body can prevent me from making my “move”. On a day when my body is feeling fine I strike it in the middle 9/10. But when I miss the strike is so poor that no driver can help me. 

I enjoy a shallower and a bit more compact look as it gives me a feeling of less face to miss on. 😂

Got fitted today. Not a big hitter. Currently playing a TM M6 with Fuji 2.0 S flex. I used to hit it better but lost some weight mountain biking and subsequently lost some speed. Got fitted before and was fitted into a Sim2 Max D and made for Ventus Blue 5R. The Ventus didn’t do much when they put it into my M6. Stubbornly I believed it was just an odd day so I bought the Ventus aftermarket. But today was the first day I hit it. Same result. The M6 and VB doesn’t work. Lol. 

not a long hitter but best results were with an Aldila NVS NXT and XF G4 9 degree. My swing with a regular shaft launches too high apparently. But gained around 30 yards total.  

I wanted to try the protos because I did not like the silver crown. So I purposely kept that on top of mind but once I went into my swing, I never once saw the top. I just knew it was going to bother me but it doesn’t. I mean I’ve played TM since M2 so maybe it’s conditioning. 

Edited by JDIL
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 2:19 PM, evoviiiyou said:

Gave the Gen4 22 opened to 20.5 a weekend bag spot to see what its got...Well, its got a lot to offer, aim and fire...Its weighted perfectly for me, feels so good to hit and is longer and straighter compared to my Gen2 opened to 20.5...Now I'm not hitting apples to apples as far as shafts go...I've got the Aldila NV Green NXT in the Gen4 compared to the Fujikura Pro 2.0...I'm going to give the NV a spin in Gen2 at some point to confirm, but the Gen4 is making the tournament trip with me to Vegas next weekend...

Also, the Gen4 X with GP AD BB-6 is replacing the Proto X for the trip as well...Took the Gen4 with the BB out today and it performed so well, I decided to give it along with the Gen4 22, spots in the bag for next weekend to see how they hold up under tournament conditions...

I was hoping to have my two bags sorted out by this late in the year, but since we had two months of biblical rains in the Texas during May/June, I still need to get more course work in on the Gen4 3&5 fairways, the 0211 ST and X driver to make sure I have the right head/shaft combos...Will say one thing about the 0211 ST, they're very good and probably the most underrated club PXG makes...Easy to hit and feel great...My Gen3 T might be in trouble...

Edited by snagy2000
  • Like 2

I had a $79 credit I had to use by Friday so decided to pick up a Gen4 9* XF.

Ive been using the 7.5* Gen4 X and overall its definitely an upgrade over the Proto. My first 5 rounds with the 7.5* were amazing..... the last 3 ive been everywhere but straight. Ive been spraying the 7.5* all over, mainly awful swings and not the clubs fault, but I wanna see if the XF will keep some of those shots in play more. Obviously the 7.5* will give me better ball speed and lower spin but I plan to lower the loft on the XF. 

Not blaming the club at all but ive taken 8 penalties off the tee in my last 3 rounds. I dont have the time to practice like I used to and with some awful swings I figured its worth trying something more forgiving

TM Stealth + 9*... Fujikura Ventus TR 6x

TM 300 Mini 13.5*... VA Composites Raijin 74x ---- TM Stealth+ 15*... Fujikura Ventus TR 7x

TM Stealth Rescue 19*... Accra FX300 90x

Mizuno 223 4 - PW... KBS $-Taper 125 ---- Srixon ZX7 4 - PW... Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 115tx ---- New Level PF-1 Black 4-P ... Accra iSteel 125

Mizuno T22 50*, 55*, 59*... KBS $-Taper 125 ---- Corey Paul wedges 52 , 56 , 60 ... Accra iSteel 125

Scotty Phantom x9.5 Triple Black ---- Scotty Newport 2 Champions Choice ... LAGP TPZ USA Ryder cup edition

Vessel Players Stand 2.0

Bridgestone Tour B XS

On 7/21/2021 at 8:18 PM, getitdaily said:

Anyone want to spill the beans on how the gen4 3wood performs. I'm testing 3woods and haven't given pxg a look yet...

I think some will disagree with me, but personally I found the 3wood to simply be....ok. It spins less than the Proto (which was super high spin in every combo and weight setting I tried). Ive tried each of the 0211 , Proto, and Gen4 drivers fairways and hybrids. All 3 fairways I found to be subpar. Drivers and hybrids are absolutely amazing

Compared to last year's SIM, the Gen4 3w is not even close in speed, distance, and spin.

I went to a fitting 3 weeks ago trying to find some combo of shaft and weight configuration to make the Gen4 work and it never came close to anything else the fitter gave me. I hit the SIM2, Tour Edge c721, Titleist TSi3. All 3 of those gave me better speed, distance, launch, and spin

TM Stealth + 9*... Fujikura Ventus TR 6x

TM 300 Mini 13.5*... VA Composites Raijin 74x ---- TM Stealth+ 15*... Fujikura Ventus TR 7x

TM Stealth Rescue 19*... Accra FX300 90x

Mizuno 223 4 - PW... KBS $-Taper 125 ---- Srixon ZX7 4 - PW... Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 115tx ---- New Level PF-1 Black 4-P ... Accra iSteel 125

Mizuno T22 50*, 55*, 59*... KBS $-Taper 125 ---- Corey Paul wedges 52 , 56 , 60 ... Accra iSteel 125

Scotty Phantom x9.5 Triple Black ---- Scotty Newport 2 Champions Choice ... LAGP TPZ USA Ryder cup edition

Vessel Players Stand 2.0

Bridgestone Tour B XS

2 hours ago, JoeFrigo said:

I think some will disagree with me, but personally I found the 3wood to simply be....ok. It spins less than the Proto (which was super high spin in every combo and weight setting I tried). Ive tried each of the 0211 , Proto, and Gen4 drivers fairways and hybrids. All 3 fairways I found to be subpar. Drivers and hybrids are absolutely amazing

Compared to last year's SIM, the Gen4 3w is not even close in speed, distance, and spin.

I went to a fitting 3 weeks ago trying to find some combo of shaft and weight configuration to make the Gen4 work and it never came close to anything else the fitter gave me. I hit the SIM2, Tour Edge c721, Titleist TSi3. All 3 of those gave me better speed, distance, launch, and spin

Thanks joe. I was considering putting pxg in the running to replace my gamer. Guess I'll stay away from them.for now. In the next couple of weeks I really hope to have a new gamer. Have a stz that is good. Have a tsi3 and sim2 max on the way. One of those 3 should be my next gamer.