2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters

pga43

58 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Opened up the 3f 1.5 degrees and it's a penetrating bomber. Not spinny at all! These Gen4 drivers, fairways and hybrids feel so good and go straight as an arrow when we'll struck. Finding the proper head weighting and shaft is key. Still have a few things I want to try on 5f and hybrids, but the overhaul of my gamer bag is coming along nicely. 

Gamer Bag:

Gen4 0811X 

Gen4 0341 3f 

Ping G400 5f 

Gen4 0317 

Gen2 0317

Gen3 T irons

Artisan & Titlest wedges

Artisan Putter

On Call Bag:

Proto 0811X

Ping LST 3f

Gen4 0341 5f

Gen2 0317

Gen4 0317

0211 ST & Gen2 P irons 

Artisan & Titleist wedges

Gen2 Mustang

I have been kind of shocked at how easy the 3W is to hit - I have it in small minus and can still hit it off the deck with good height. My bag is hopefully having a darkening by next weekend 🙂 

IMG_4097D.jpeg

• Like 4

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Loft sleeve magic snagy! Nice work cutting the spin with the loft sleeve open up magic move. I like both bags 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

1 hour ago, ajlacombe said:

I have been kind of shocked at how easy the 3W is to hit - I have it in small minus and can still hit it off the deck with good height. My bag is hopefully having a darkening by next weekend 🙂 

IMG_4097D.jpeg

Purty set up right there and it’s only getting prettier every time you post! 

4 hours ago, Lefty87 said:

Anyone have the Blackbird putter? I’m pretty intrigued by the shape. Wondering if the stability is as good as advertised. 

Haha - yes I do, and let me say that for me, it is the best putter I have ever used.  Not saying it is the best putter, but for me it is the best putter.

• Alignment line is very prominent and easy for me to line up
  • Fitter went 2º flat which has been perfect for me - keeps toe down with my low hands
  • Weight distribution is awesome - allows me to have calm hands during the stroke

Its hard to describe a putter since half the equation is whats between the grip and the ground, but my aiming has gotten way better and I make a good deal of 15-20 footers and I am close more times than not.  The big thing is the stability for short putt accuracy

I laugh when I see people say - oh man, I hate that thing.  My immediate thought is - what if you made way more putts, how would it look to you then?

I have been a putter switcher and the Blackbird has been in the bag since I got it and it is not coming out of the bag my time soon. Club Ho disclaimers apply 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Checking back in as its been a little bit since I've chimed in...but the Gen4 0811x is just so fun to hit.  Played another round yesterday & hit some really long ones again & even some that went further then expected on slight miss-hits.  My 14 yr old son is even wanting to sell his driver that fits him well because he thinks my Gen4 is that much longer then his & not just his old man swinging it better then him 😉 .  He had a few really good drives and when I stepped on one or two I was a legit 20+ yards ahead.  The best one was 40 yds in front of him (310 vs 270).  I will say this club is a little longer then the Proto I had, but the shaft is also different so not apples to apples comparison, but it is more forgiving too.  Now I can't wait for the next round 🙂

• Like 2

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (11.5d) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Project X Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO MP 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

On 8/9/2021 at 11:32 AM, eddiebigeddie said:

Checking back in as its been a little bit since I've chimed in...but the Gen4 0811x is just so fun to hit.  Played another round yesterday & hit some really long ones again & even some that went further then expected on slight miss-hits.  My 14 yr old son is even wanting to sell his driver that fits him well because he thinks my Gen4 is that much longer then his & not just his old man swinging it better then him 😉 .  He had a few really good drives and when I stepped on one or two I was a legit 20+ yards ahead.  The best one was 40 yds in front of him (310 vs 270).  I will say this club is a little longer then the Proto I had, but the shaft is also different so not apples to apples comparison, but it is more forgiving too.  Now I can't wait for the next round 🙂

I am with you. Every round with my Gen4 gets better and better. Loving my Gen3 irons for sure. Softest purest irons I have been owned. They just go high and straight. Had my best two rounds of the year with these irons. Taking some skins is fun with my bag setup the way it is. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Something new has landed on the PXG website 🙂  

They are on quite a roll...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajlacombe said:

Something new has landed on the PXG website 🙂  

They are on quite a roll...

Interesting…. But I will pass. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I just saw this putter.  I am not sure if it is the one that Lydia Ko uses or not, but it looks similar.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

I just saw this putter.  I am not sure if it is the one that Lydia Ko uses or not, but it looks similar.

It is the one she uses.. except hers is center shafted. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

8 hours ago, GFish said:

Annoying.  Wish PXG would just stick with their high end clubs.  Really are diluting their brand.

Same here. I like that they have a good better best price point scenario like most brands. It makes sense and should do well for the general player participation.  Anytime companies make investments to offer new product at whatever price point, for us its great as a consumer to have those additional choices. I cant wait to see what Gen 5 has in store for us...I know we are probably a year or two out but you never know...lately they are just launching new stuff seemingly each quarter. I also would like the center shaft hosel option on the range, some pom pom sock style head covers that PPerez has had in his bag for a while, and lastly would love a 14 way full length divider, tour style stand bag. 🙂 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Someone has a bid on it currently.  That scratch would drive me nuts looking down at it. 

Smh, setting market on stupidity...

1 hour ago, Shakespeare said:

Forgive me...is this putter different somehow? A one off for a tour pro?

Lydia Ko uses center shafted version and no one else we know of plays it. We believe it's a one-off tour putter  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Well something new arrived today - I have to say that I know the dark finish makes them look smaller, but I think that the Gen 4 P irons are significantly smaller than the Gen 3 P irons.  I can not wait to put them in play tomorrow morning 🙂 Will see if I can get some time to hit balls this afternoon

The fitter suggested I do a comparison set of photos from chrome to black 🙂 

Gen3_Irons.jpeg

Gen4_Irons1.jpg

Gen4_Irons3.jpg

The Black look really good. Congrats!…now send me those Gen3’s 😬

19 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Well something new arrived today - I have to say that I know the dark finish makes them look smaller, but I think that the Gen 4 P irons are significantly smaller than the Gen 3 P irons.  I can not wait to put them in play tomorrow morning 🙂 Will see if I can get some time to hit balls this afternoon

Gen3_Irons.jpeg

Gen4_Irons1.jpg

Gen4_Irons3.jpg

Wow 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

Wow 

Yea….. WOW!!! Love the setup and those wedges too. 

Can’t wait to hear the comparisons on the course. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I forgot to mention we did a slight change  All of my irons have been +½".  The Gen 2s were standard lie with the Module 105 shaft, the Gen 3s were 1º flat with the Elevate 95 shaft.  For the Gen 4s I tried the elevate Tours but could not "feel" the club so we went back to the Elevate 95s with 2g more in the head for feel and back to standard lie.

I did not realize how much smaller the Gen 4s look than the Gen 3s - I like that a lot - very similar looking in size to my Titleist AP3s.  I got 1 extra layer of tape on the standard Lamkin Z5 grips and they feel a tab small - I will try to figure out where to go with that one.  I have MCC standard grips and more Z5s if I decide to mess with them.

The wedges are amazing - messed around with them a bit and centered all the strikes.  Changed from 58º to 60º and went from 9º bounce to 7º since the lob wedge is more of a specialty club than a full swinger.  For being a dumbWord not allowed with purchasing this set I did not come out too far behind the full bag deal, but I did not get a hat or a bag 🙂 

Not sure if any of you follow PXG_express on eBay, but they dumped a G4 X driver with a Ventus Blue 6S shaft for $316 last week - I was too late to snag it.  I also saw a G4 FW with the Ventus Blue in it for a good price as well - but others are obviously on to that game as well

I will try and do a side by side with the Gen 4 irons versus the Gen 3s to see how they compared, but my main goal was feel to increase my strike consistency and I absolutely love black irons and these are very cool.  Someone said they wished the weights were black too, but I am not sure since they are on the back.

• Like 2

So was out shopping today for my lil girls Bday and stopped by a Golf Galaxy to kill some time while the wife and daughter ran into a clothing store…walk over to the used clubs bin area and see a set of Gen3 P’s 6-Gw with Elevate Tour stiffs. Of course you can guess what happened next, straight to the hitting bay with several of the clubs 😬🤤🤤🤤.  These irons are so FREAKING SWEET.  Almost every shot was dead straight or a slight turn of maybe 5 yds max.  I can say without a shadow of a doubt, my next set of clubs will be the Gen3’s. I was also surprised by the size of the P’s. A little larger then I was thinking they would be, but still small enough to not be a distraction. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, eddiebigeddie said:

So was out shopping today for my lil girls Bday and stopped by a Golf Galaxy to kill some time while the wife and daughter ran into a clothing store…walk over to the used clubs bin area and see a set of Gen3 P’s 6-Gw with Elevate Tour stiffs. Of course you can guess what happened next, straight to the hitting bay with several of the clubs 😬🤤🤤🤤.  These irons are so FREAKING SWEET.  Almost every shot was dead straight or a slight turn of maybe 5 yds max.  I can say without a shadow of a doubt, my next set of clubs will be the Gen3’s. I was also surprised by the size of the P’s. A little larger then I was thinking they would be, but still small enough to not be a distraction. 

I have to agree with you here. I got a round in with my custom new Gen3 P4-7 & T8-GW (second round) since taking ownership, as I was just very resistant to changing out the Mizuno 921F/T combo set I’ve been gaming for over a year with great results. 

I am glad I did today at Dove Valley Ranch. Something about the Gen3 irons that’s a perfect blend of solid and feel. I can only imagine the Gen4’s being even more pleasant. For sure gaming the Gen3 combo set for the foreseeable future at this point and the only club in my bag that’s not PXG is the putter. As soon as they launch a center shaft putter, that will certainly change as well. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

I have to agree with you here. I got a round in with my custom new Gen3 P4-7 & T8-GW (second round) since taking ownership, as I was just very resistant to changing out the Mizuno 921F/T combo set I’ve been gaming for over a year with great results. 

I am glad I did today at Dove Valley Ranch. Something about the Gen3 irons that’s a perfect blend of solid and feel. I can only imagine the Gen4’s being even more pleasant. For sure gaming the Gen3 combo set for the foreseeable future at this point and the only club in my bag that’s not PXG is the putter. As soon as they launch a center shaft putter, that will certainly change as well. 

I had toyed with doing a combo set because I did not really like the look of the more lofted irons.  The problem is you do not see the whole set until you own them and they are in your hands. I think one change to their fitting process I would do is to make sure you have one set of heads for the entire club line at each location so you could at least see what they looked like, because how can you make that call if you do not see the club.

For me the look of a club is huge.  When researching the Gen 4 irons prior to my fitting I looked at the specs and in the Gen 3 irons they have a 1º loft difference between T and P models.  In Gen 4 that difference is now 2º which means if you do a combo set you are facing a 6º difference or you are going to change the bounce if you loft adjust them - and I did not like my options with that.

The good ending to the story is that the Gen 4s  seem a touch smaller to my eye - and I am sure the black is helping with that.

A quick review from round 1 with the Gen 4 irons - it was mixed. It was raining and the Lamkin Z5 is not a great rain grip.  It was a lighter rain so I started with only 1 glove on and that lead to some loose shots with no right hand grip on the club.

I hit some great shots with them, but they are clearly different than the Gen 3s.  The thing I did not get a feel for was relative length.  I can do that in the simulator, but the on course distances is what I want to see.  The looks are stellar to my eye,  Now I need a day where I am not hitting from the tall stuff as I was on Sunday.

• Like 2

Played yesterday in my normal Sunday money game and my buddy brought his friend who is the store manager of the PXG Mesa, AZ store. Great guy and great player. Of course, as an employee, he had a full bag of Gen4 stuff. They look great. He was pounding his Gen4 X 7.5 TPW TX flex driver. 

Such a good dude. He wants to bring me in for a driver shaft fitting. He saw that I needed something lower spinning and something more fit for me. 

Will say that I am still loving the Gen3 P’s. They are pure for me. Did cut my Gen4 driver down to 44.75” and it did help some. Just need my 20 gram weight to show up to bring the SW up a little more. Can’t wait to go do a driver shaft fitting. 

Oh yea, the black Sugar Dady wedges he had look amazing and he was spinning them like crazy. Fun to watch. 

• Like 4

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 8/14/2021 at 3:46 PM, ajlacombe said:

Gen3_Irons.jpeg

Gen4_Irons1.jpg

Gen4_Irons3.jpg

Those are awesome. Any chance you could take a picture of the G3 vs G4 from a side view looking straight on at the toe? Curious to see if the body of the iron is any slimmer. 

34 minutes ago, Lefty87 said:

Those are awesome. Any chance you could take a picture of the G3 vs G4 from a side view looking straight on at the toe? Curious to see if the body of the iron is any slimmer. 

Tough Assignment 🙂  I added in the Gen 2 as well - all 3 in the 7iron.  It is very hard to show it, and what you inspect in the pictures versus seeing it at address do not look the same from my perspective.  Gen 3 is in the middle with GC Quad dots

The first 4 pics are pairs that change the camera angle a bit to give you better perspective

Iron_Compare5.jpg

Iron_Compare4.jpg

Iron_Compare3.jpg

Iron_Compare2.jpg

Iron_Compare1.jpg

Edited by ajlacombe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not much difference in the size from the length, top line and offset being the same while the sole is only 0.005" thicker in the G3P.

677332029_G3PvsG4P.jpg.016a3416f8a115b05fd3360cacbb38d7.jpg

845718085_G3PvsG4Ptoe.jpg.36056e6450afc767659a289d047a43e8.jpg

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 2

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope