2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Graphite Design shaft comparison to Diamana Whiteboard?

hagimihale

Question for WRXers who have gamed both WB shafts and Graphite Design.  What in the GD family would you say is the closest version to a Whiteboard?

I have a DF and an old-school 'ahina, both in 60X.  I am happy gaming either one.

If I had to describe my perception of how they feel, it would be tip-stiff, relatively linear load with a hint of hinge just below the grip. 

Looking to try out some similar profiles within GD and wondering what others have found are close to the Diamana WB?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Good question since GD Tour AD shafts are generally based on the blueboard profile. M9003, XC, HD maybe closest. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

@noodle3872 I have read that before.  Its my understanding that the DI is very similar to a blueboard, as is the IZ.  

I could never "time" the blueboard correctly.  Though I do have an Aldila Tour Blue that works (I think they are similar profiles).

@Shupe, I'll check out the TP.  Thanks.

Just from personal feel and experience I would say the AD- GP.  But I don't have anything scientific to back that up.  Just a really good shaft for me.

Edited by FOOTJOY16
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

TP for sure. Stiffer and slightly lower launching version of the DI. I’m a D+ gamer and the TP 8X tipped 1/2” in my 3 wood is a bomber 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 (8*) w/ AD-DI 6x

Titleist TSi3 (15*) w/ AD-DI 8x

Titleist TSR3 (19*) w/ AD-DI Hybird 85x 

Titleist TS3 (21*) w/ AD-DI Hybrid 85x

T100S 5-PW w/ PX LZ 6.0 Blackout

Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks 50F-54D-60T w/ TT DG S400

Toulon First Run San Diego w/ KBS TourGPS

2 hours ago, hagimihale said:

Question for WRXers who have gamed both WB shafts and Graphite Design.  What in the GD family would you say is the closest version to a Whiteboard?

I have a DF and an old-school 'ahina, both in 60X.  I am happy gaming either one.

If I had to describe my perception of how they feel, it would be tip-stiff, relatively linear load with a hint of hinge just below the grip. 

Looking to try out some similar profiles within GD and wondering what others have found are close to the Diamana WB?

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1687782-ventus-black-vs-gd-xc/?do=findComment&comment=22510258

@hagimihale: +1 i.e. was also curious w.r.t. same question, so found these on the Forum. 

Might like to ask @Johnny Wundertoo, as he recently hosted a podcast discussing 4 Graphite Design shafts? 
Quote: "On this episode of TGD brought to you by Titleist, Johnny goes in on Graphite Design IZ, XC, TP, and the new HD."
https://www.golfwrx.com/643099/the-gear-dive-what-is-the-holy-grail-of-golf-clubs-and-a-deep-dive-into-4-graphite-design-shafts/

---

@bfizzy shared a description of the "XC", which sounds like a Whiteboard?

Quote: "The XC has a really soft handle but really firm mid and tip sections, very unique feeling. I haven't been on a monitor with the XC, but just visually it seems to launch in a similar window as the Ventus and I generate a tad more spin which is something I need. I've really only hit the DI and AD TP and to me the AD TP is more closely related to the Ventus Black in terms of overall feel. XC is very unique because the handle is pretty soft feeling, but everything else feels pretty firm"

@JClev02 also mentioned the similarity between the XC and Whiteboard:
"XC is very smooth. You can feel the shaft load but it still has a very stable tip. The XC is supposedly the new version of the AD BB. I can swing as hard as i want and it never goes left. As for similar shafts, I’m not sure I’ve played anything like it. The only thing coming to my mind is an original whiteboard.

---
The comparison chart shown below = via @Diamana_Stinger

GraphiteDesign_comparison_Tip-Mid-Butt.jpg

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@JungleJimbo appreciate all of the info. 

@JClev02's comment is very interesting.  That's what I love about the 'ahina.  I can be aggressive with it and it will hold its line or give me a slight fade.  

Definitely need to check out the XC.

I play a DF in my backup driver (always loved the feel of Diamana). Ive had WB before in various generations.

Ive also played a lot of GD shafts in various flavors.

I dont know that Ive played a shaft that felt similar to the WB from GD line, but one that gave me similar flight and feel would have to be the BB line. I think the BB felt bit more loose in the mid section (much closer to Blue Board) but felt bit more tip firm than the Blue Board, which made me think of WB profile. EI Bend profile might contradict me, but that was from my experiment. The GT line felt like it was a cross between Blue Board and White Board, especially at the 70 gram range. GP line felt closer to the Red Board profile with similar flight.

I understand the XC line is supposed to be the most stable line out of the GD family, but I have not experimented with it yet.

I say if you want a shaft that performs like the White Board, then you should prob get a White Board. Its what kept them in the biz for so long after all this time and many generations later, its still a household name.

• Thanks 1

@Gohigh, I like both the DF and 'ahina (the W-series feels different).  The ho in me likes trying other shafts.  I just recognize that the WB profile works for me, so why not use that as a starting point? Other than a YS6 back in the day, I have no experience playing GD shafts.   

4 hours ago, FOOTJOY16 said:

Just from personal feel and experience I would say the AD- GP.  But I don't have anything scientific to back that up.  Just a really good shaft for me.

From experience, I would have to agree with the GP also.

I believe its their tip-stiffest shaft in their lineup.

524311632_tourad.jpg.7639bd7b98024e149e4a1d7a82c2fdc3.jpg

• Like 2

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

The XC is definitely the closest shaft to the WB- it’s pretty darn butt soft, fairly stiff in the middle, and tip stiff.  Great shaft.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

4 hours ago, hagimihale said:

@JungleJimbo appreciate all of the info. 

@JClev02's comment is very interesting.  That's what I love about the 'ahina.  I can be aggressive with it and it will hold its line or give me a slight fade.  

Definitely need to check out the XC.

@hagimihale: More info on the XC

..https://www.golfwrx.com/568896/forum-thread-of-the-day-new-graphite-design-tour-ad-xc-shafts/

..https://pluggedingolf.com/graphite-design-tour-ad-xc-shaft-review/

👆Good review of the XC in PluggedInGolf, and the Q&A = should provide further useful considerations/ get you more ‘itchy’ to try/ go further down the ‘rabbit hole’ 🐰😀

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Thanks 1

You may find something you enjoy in the GD line, but they pretty much have nothing in the current lineup that is like a whiteboard style profile. The 9003 shafts are going to the closest in terms of linearity, but still not the same design. Literally every other Tour AD shaft is noticeably softer in the midsection by design, and a stiffer midsection is a core element to your typical whiteboard profile. This includes shafts they describe as softer handled, stiffer mid shafts like the BB and XC. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

@JungleJimbo I owe you a beer (or maybe a box of ProVs?) for all the research you are doing, thanks!

@Valtiel that's what I'm starting to wonder, as I read up in detail about GD shafts.  The BB, XC, GP and TP are on the short list to test drive.  But at the end of the day, I may be better off just hoarding WBs, as @Gohigh suggested.

• Like 1

As stated the xc is both softer in the handle and has a lower bend point than a whiteboard.  To me this was the only GD shaft I couldn’t play in my driver.  Just didn’t like the feel.  The gp or bb will feel probably feel the closest but has one has slightly firmer handle and both have a lower bend point.

Edited by mokedaddy
  • Like 1

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

So I have a TP in 60X on the way.  Going to pair it with a TS3 head (10.5*).  Will update this post after I have some feedback to give.

Still looking around for a BB and/or GP to check out.  'cuz I'm a ho, yeah yeah yeah... 

I used to play Diamana shafts (and Scotty putters) mostly because Tiger made it popular but I began to realize that there are other shafts (and putters) better suited for my personal taste... 

Went to Graphite Design (GD) and never turned back. The biggest difference between Diamana and GD is that there are so many different choices that you can dial into exactly what you are looking for. In the beginning I was really confused but once I read through GD website and shaft descriptions, there is no other shaft manufacturer where you can really dial in to the dot with the profile you are looking for.

I really like Japanese shafts like Fujikura, Mitsubishi, GD, Nippon etc and tried all of them but when it comes to wood shafts nothing beats the variety of GD. Iron shafts will be Nippon. Can't really go wrong with the quality of the shaft that each of these manufacturers build BUT it can go wrong if it doesn't suit your personal swing type. 

Another thing I really like about GD shafts is that they continuously innovate new shafts every year or so but also keep their older line of products. Finally GD performance is outstanding in terms of looks, feel and accuracy. 

Imitation is the best form of flattery. I have not seen so many counterfeit shafts like GD and there is a reason for this. 

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

On 1/19/2021 at 3:22 AM, Valtiel said:

You may find something you enjoy in the GD line, but they pretty much have nothing in the current lineup that is like a whiteboard style profile. The 9003 shafts are going to the closest in terms of linearity, but still not the same design. Literally every other Tour AD shaft is noticeably softer in the midsection by design, and a stiffer midsection is a core element to your typical whiteboard profile. This includes shafts they describe as softer handled, stiffer mid shafts like the BB and XC. 

Agreed. Most of the AD line are very similar and fall into the “stiffer tipped Blueboard” realm from a profile standpoint.

Always played the OG WB for years until I got in to GD shafts. Played almost all of the line. Thinking about trying a Diamana ZF to see. Also might go back from my current TP back to an IZ for a little more launch.... questions.. questions.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

53 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Always played the OG WB for years until I got in to GD shafts. ... Thinking about trying a Diamana ZF to see. Also might go back from my current TP back to an IZ for a little more launch.... questions.. questions.

@OspreyCI How would you compare the TP you are gaming now to the OG WB?

50 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

@OspreyCI How would you compare the TP you are gaming now to the OG WB?

The TP is not as soft in the handle and does not kick as much as the WB. It is higher launching and guessing the spin is around the same. I don’t ever get on monitors. So far the TP is as close to perfect for me as there is. It was fit for it at PXG. Close second in my fitting was the Ventus Blue. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Came to say GP, as others have said. Great shaft, love the color schemes available both black and the tiffany blue. 

Shaft felt good, lower launch and spin. Just a touch soft in the handle for me, but very whiteboard ish.  Also, just to post it, Oban Devotion is like this too. Maybe a bit tighter feel than the GP, so "less smooth" but also maybe just a touch tighter dispersion.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

16 hours ago, hagimihale said:

So I have a TP in 60X on the way.  Going to pair it with a TS3 head (10.5*).  Will update this post after I have some feedback to give.

Still looking around for a BB and/or GP to check out.  'cuz I'm a ho, yeah yeah yeah... 

I have this exact set up on 9.5* TS3 head. Penetrating mid low ball flight that will go miles. You will love the TP and TS3 combo.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

3 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

The TP is not as soft in the handle and does not kick as much as the WB. It is higher launching and guessing the spin is around the same. 

This is what I was looking for.  Something that felt as stable as the WB but launched higher, but without the kick that you get from a Blueboard profile (I find I don't always "time" that kick well).   What I liked in the 'ahina is that I can aim down the left side of the fairway and it will hold that line. And if I take a bit off the swing, it will fade a bit to the right.  No worries about it turning over.  Give me that, but with a bit higher launch, and I'll be a happy camper...

• Like 1

@desaille I always wonder why Tiger chose the D+ Ltd over the DF.   The DF was supposed to be the Diamana flagship shaft, but Tiger (and Justin Rose, Shane Lowry and Paul Casey) all chose the D+ over the DF.  

9 hours ago, hagimihale said:

@desaille I always wonder why Tiger chose the D+ Ltd over the DF.   The DF was supposed to be the Diamana flagship shaft, but Tiger (and Justin Rose, Shane Lowry and Paul Casey) all chose the D+ over the DF.  

The D+ LTD in the TX flex they are using is the same premium product as the DF, and the DF seems to be a hybrid between a White and Blue profile so it's likely a matter of them preferring a true "White" shaft. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

@Valtiel, that makes sense.  The DF specs show torque values higher than what I would associate with a true whiteboard.  

Of course, that begs the question of why they made the ZF, if they were going to make the DF a mix of White and Blue.  

I game the 'ahina over the DF b/c the OG feels more stable and less prone to the miss left.

Edited by hagimihale
  • Like 1