Graphite Design shaft comparison to Diamana Whiteboard?

Question for WRXers who have gamed both WB shafts and Graphite Design.  What in the GD family would you say is the closest version to a Whiteboard?

I have a DF and an old-school 'ahina, both in 60X.  I am happy gaming either one.

If I had to describe my perception of how they feel, it would be tip-stiff, relatively linear load with a hint of hinge just below the grip. 

Looking to try out some similar profiles within GD and wondering what others have found are close to the Diamana WB?

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to play Diamana shafts (and Scotty putters) mostly because Tiger made it popular but I began to realize that there are other shafts (and putters) better suited for my personal taste...   

Just from personal feel and experience I would say the AD- GP.  But I don't have anything scientific to back that up.  Just a really good shaft for me.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1687782-ventus-black-vs-gd-xc/?do=findComment&comment=22510258 @hagimihale: +1 i.e. was also curious w.r.t. same question, so found these on the Forum.  Might

Posted Images

Good question since GD Tour AD shafts are generally based on the blueboard profile. M9003, XC, HD maybe closest. 

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 70S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 23° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 80 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft X

@noodle3872 I have read that before.  Its my understanding that the DI is very similar to a blueboard, as is the IZ.  

I could never "time" the blueboard correctly.  Though I do have an Aldila Tour Blue that works (I think they are similar profiles).

@Shupe, I'll check out the TP.  Thanks.

Just from personal feel and experience I would say the AD- GP.  But I don't have anything scientific to back that up.  Just a really good shaft for me.

Edited by FOOTJOY16
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 8.0 Smoke Blue RDX  60TX
Titleist TSi3 13.5 Tensei AV Raw white 75x
Mizuno MP20mb 4-pw Project X LZ
Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport

TP for sure. Stiffer and slightly lower launching version of the DI. I’m a D+ gamer and the TP 8X tipped 1/2” in my 3 wood is a bomber 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 (8*) w/ Ventus Black VeloCore 6x

Titleist TS3 (15*) w/ Ventus Blue VeloCore 8x

Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid (17*) w/ Ventus Blue VeloCore HB 9x

Titleist TS3 Hybrid (21*) w/ Atmos Black 9x

Titleist 718 AP2 5-GW w/ Modus3 120x

Titleist Vokey SM8 54M-58D

Toulon Garage San Diego

2 hours ago, hagimihale said:

Question for WRXers who have gamed both WB shafts and Graphite Design.  What in the GD family would you say is the closest version to a Whiteboard?

I have a DF and an old-school 'ahina, both in 60X.  I am happy gaming either one.

If I had to describe my perception of how they feel, it would be tip-stiff, relatively linear load with a hint of hinge just below the grip. 

Looking to try out some similar profiles within GD and wondering what others have found are close to the Diamana WB?

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1687782-ventus-black-vs-gd-xc/?do=findComment&comment=22510258

@hagimihale: +1 i.e. was also curious w.r.t. same question, so found these on the Forum. 

Might like to ask @Johnny Wundertoo, as he recently hosted a podcast discussing 4 Graphite Design shafts? 
Quote: "On this episode of TGD brought to you by Titleist, Johnny goes in on Graphite Design IZ, XC, TP, and the new HD."
https://www.golfwrx.com/643099/the-gear-dive-what-is-the-holy-grail-of-golf-clubs-and-a-deep-dive-into-4-graphite-design-shafts/

---

@bfizzy shared a description of the "XC", which sounds like a Whiteboard?

Quote: "The XC has a really soft handle but really firm mid and tip sections, very unique feeling. I haven't been on a monitor with the XC, but just visually it seems to launch in a similar window as the Ventus and I generate a tad more spin which is something I need. I've really only hit the DI and AD TP and to me the AD TP is more closely related to the Ventus Black in terms of overall feel. XC is very unique because the handle is pretty soft feeling, but everything else feels pretty firm"

@JClev02 also mentioned the similarity between the XC and Whiteboard:
"XC is very smooth. You can feel the shaft load but it still has a very stable tip. The XC is supposedly the new version of the AD BB. I can swing as hard as i want and it never goes left. As for similar shafts, I’m not sure I’ve played anything like it. The only thing coming to my mind is an original whiteboard.

---
The comparison chart shown below = via @Diamana_Stinger

GraphiteDesign_comparison_Tip-Mid-Butt.jpg

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Thanks 2

I play a DF in my backup driver (always loved the feel of Diamana). Ive had WB before in various generations.

Ive also played a lot of GD shafts in various flavors.

I dont know that Ive played a shaft that felt similar to the WB from GD line, but one that gave me similar flight and feel would have to be the BB line. I think the BB felt bit more loose in the mid section (much closer to Blue Board) but felt bit more tip firm than the Blue Board, which made me think of WB profile. EI Bend profile might contradict me, but that was from my experiment. The GT line felt like it was a cross between Blue Board and White Board, especially at the 70 gram range. GP line felt closer to the Red Board profile with similar flight.

I understand the XC line is supposed to be the most stable line out of the GD family, but I have not experimented with it yet.

I say if you want a shaft that performs like the White Board, then you should prob get a White Board. Its what kept them in the biz for so long after all this time and many generations later, its still a household name.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, FOOTJOY16 said:

From experience, I would have to agree with the GP also.

I believe its their tip-stiffest shaft in their lineup.

524311632_tourad.jpg.7639bd7b98024e149e4a1d7a82c2fdc3.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 10* Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 7x

Titleist 915F 15* Kurokage Proto 7s

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19* Kurokage 9x

Callaway Apex Pro '14 (4-Pw) DG 120 Tour Iss. x100

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*

Vokey SM7 56*S Black

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

The XC is definitely the closest shaft to the WB- it’s pretty darn butt soft, fairly stiff in the middle, and tip stiff.  Great shaft.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
TItleist TS2 16.5* (set to 15.75*) FW Tensei AV Blue 75X
PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* Hybrid Evenflow Riptide 85H 6.5
PXG 0311X 4 Utility Iron Nippon Pro Modus 3 105S

Titleist T100-S 5-W(48*)Nippon Pro Modus 3 130S
Cobra King Black 52* Nippon Pro Modus 3 130S

Cobra King Black 58* Nippon Modus Wedge 115
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12 Custom 34.5”

4 hours ago, hagimihale said:

@JungleJimbo appreciate all of the info. 

@JClev02's comment is very interesting.  That's what I love about the 'ahina.  I can be aggressive with it and it will hold its line or give me a slight fade.  

Definitely need to check out the XC.

@hagimihale: More info on the XC

..https://www.golfwrx.com/568896/forum-thread-of-the-day-new-graphite-design-tour-ad-xc-shafts/

..https://pluggedingolf.com/graphite-design-tour-ad-xc-shaft-review/

👆Good review of the XC in PluggedInGolf, and the Q&A = should provide further useful considerations/ get you more ‘itchy’ to try/ go further down the ‘rabbit hole’ 🐰😀

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Thanks 1

You may find something you enjoy in the GD line, but they pretty much have nothing in the current lineup that is like a whiteboard style profile. The 9003 shafts are going to the closest in terms of linearity, but still not the same design. Literally every other Tour AD shaft is noticeably softer in the midsection by design, and a stiffer midsection is a core element to your typical whiteboard profile. This includes shafts they describe as softer handled, stiffer mid shafts like the BB and XC. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

@JungleJimbo I owe you a beer (or maybe a box of ProVs?) for all the research you are doing, thanks!

@Valtiel that's what I'm starting to wonder, as I read up in detail about GD shafts.  The BB, XC, GP and TP are on the short list to test drive.  But at the end of the day, I may be better off just hoarding WBs, as @Gohigh suggested.

• Like 1

As stated the xc is both softer in the handle and has a lower bend point than a whiteboard.  To me this was the only GD shaft I couldn’t play in my driver.  Just didn’t like the feel.  The gp or bb will feel probably feel the closest but has one has slightly firmer handle and both have a lower bend point.

Edited by mokedaddy
  • Like 1

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
Ping I200, IBlade 4-P power spec Nippon SPO
Ping Glide 2.0 - 49ss, 55ws heel grind, 60ss wrx grind Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

I used to play Diamana shafts (and Scotty putters) mostly because Tiger made it popular but I began to realize that there are other shafts (and putters) better suited for my personal taste... 

Went to Graphite Design (GD) and never turned back. The biggest difference between Diamana and GD is that there are so many different choices that you can dial into exactly what you are looking for. In the beginning I was really confused but once I read through GD website and shaft descriptions, there is no other shaft manufacturer where you can really dial in to the dot with the profile you are looking for.

I really like Japanese shafts like Fujikura, Mitsubishi, GD, Nippon etc and tried all of them but when it comes to wood shafts nothing beats the variety of GD. Iron shafts will be Nippon. Can't really go wrong with the quality of the shaft that each of these manufacturers build BUT it can go wrong if it doesn't suit your personal swing type. 

Another thing I really like about GD shafts is that they continuously innovate new shafts every year or so but also keep their older line of products. Finally GD performance is outstanding in terms of looks, feel and accuracy. 

Imitation is the best form of flattery. I have not seen so many counterfeit shafts like GD and there is a reason for this. 

• Like 2
On 1/19/2021 at 3:22 AM, Valtiel said:

You may find something you enjoy in the GD line, but they pretty much have nothing in the current lineup that is like a whiteboard style profile. The 9003 shafts are going to the closest in terms of linearity, but still not the same design. Literally every other Tour AD shaft is noticeably softer in the midsection by design, and a stiffer midsection is a core element to your typical whiteboard profile. This includes shafts they describe as softer handled, stiffer mid shafts like the BB and XC. 

Agreed. Most of the AD line are very similar and fall into the “stiffer tipped Blueboard” realm from a profile standpoint.

Always played the OG WB for years until I got in to GD shafts. Played almost all of the line. Thinking about trying a Diamana ZF to see. Also might go back from my current TP back to an IZ for a little more launch.... questions.. questions.

• Like 1

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S 
PXG 0341x Proto 15* Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0341x Proto 18* Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0211 4-PW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 50*/54* Elevate Tour S
TM HT 60* (it’s scared) 
PXG One and Done 34”

53 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Always played the OG WB for years until I got in to GD shafts. ... Thinking about trying a Diamana ZF to see. Also might go back from my current TP back to an IZ for a little more launch.... questions.. questions.

@OspreyCI How would you compare the TP you are gaming now to the OG WB?

50 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

@OspreyCI How would you compare the TP you are gaming now to the OG WB?

The TP is not as soft in the handle and does not kick as much as the WB. It is higher launching and guessing the spin is around the same. I don’t ever get on monitors. So far the TP is as close to perfect for me as there is. It was fit for it at PXG. Close second in my fitting was the Ventus Blue. 

• Like 1

PXG 0811X+ Proto GD AD TP 5S 
PXG 0341x Proto 15* Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0341x Proto 18* Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0211 4-PW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 50*/54* Elevate Tour S
TM HT 60* (it’s scared) 
PXG One and Done 34”

Came to say GP, as others have said. Great shaft, love the color schemes available both black and the tiffany blue. 

Shaft felt good, lower launch and spin. Just a touch soft in the handle for me, but very whiteboard ish.  Also, just to post it, Oban Devotion is like this too. Maybe a bit tighter feel than the GP, so "less smooth" but also maybe just a touch tighter dispersion.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 85 6.5
TaylorMade '08 Burner 5W 17.5° w/ p9003TX

TaylorMade '08 Burner Tour Only 7W 19° w/ Matrix RUL 80X
Srixon Z745 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter and Rosemark Thorn grip

16 hours ago, hagimihale said:

So I have a TP in 60X on the way.  Going to pair it with a TS3 head (10.5*).  Will update this post after I have some feedback to give.

Still looking around for a BB and/or GP to check out.  'cuz I'm a ho, yeah yeah yeah... 

I have this exact set up on 9.5* TS3 head. Penetrating mid low ball flight that will go miles. You will love the TP and TS3 combo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

The TP is not as soft in the handle and does not kick as much as the WB. It is higher launching and guessing the spin is around the same. 

This is what I was looking for.  Something that felt as stable as the WB but launched higher, but without the kick that you get from a Blueboard profile (I find I don't always "time" that kick well).   What I liked in the 'ahina is that I can aim down the left side of the fairway and it will hold that line. And if I take a bit off the swing, it will fade a bit to the right.  No worries about it turning over.  Give me that, but with a bit higher launch, and I'll be a happy camper...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, hagimihale said:

@desaille I always wonder why Tiger chose the D+ Ltd over the DF.   The DF was supposed to be the Diamana flagship shaft, but Tiger (and Justin Rose, Shane Lowry and Paul Casey) all chose the D+ over the DF.  

The D+ LTD in the TX flex they are using is the same premium product as the DF, and the DF seems to be a hybrid between a White and Blue profile so it's likely a matter of them preferring a true "White" shaft. 

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

@Valtiel, that makes sense.  The DF specs show torque values higher than what I would associate with a true whiteboard.  

Of course, that begs the question of why they made the ZF, if they were going to make the DF a mix of White and Blue.  

I game the 'ahina over the DF b/c the OG feels more stable and less prone to the miss left.

Edited by hagimihale
  • Like 1