2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Club Fitting for Beginner

Jester959

So I’ve been playing for almost 4 months. I bought a starter set just to make sure I was committed for 150$. Love the clubs so far honest - all name brand too. That said..  I’m thinking about replacing some of these clubs as I go since they are about 13-15 years old. And on that note I cracked my 6 iron shaft (mizuno mx900 - reg flex, graphite) yesterday and thought it might be time to go ahead and replace these? I’m practicing at least twice a week and always working on my swing. Im fairly athletic (played tennis for 20 years) and also 29 with a fairly fast swing speed. I’m thinking I probably won’t be needing reg flex either. 

So the question is.. should I get fitted or should I buy a nicer used set? Or even get fit then buying barely used if not new on eBay. Thoughts? Budget is about 7-800. 

A fitting will be useful if you have developed a consistent swing. If you haven’t trouble getting the same swing each time, the fitter won’t be able to do a whole lot. Lessons and the correct training equipment will be a better use of money.

if you do decide to go ahead with a fitting, focus on these things, I’d focus on these things first.

-length and lie angle

-shaft weight and flex

then use that information to go get some used clubs based on that. At a few months, your swing will likely still be changing and you may need new clubs again in a year, so don’t go overboard on expensive stuff.

Appreciate the advice. This is quality. What I may do is just replace that 6 iron on eBay and get a lesson or two. Swing is consistent as that and putting is 98% of what I’ve worked on at this point (watching Rick Shiels golf show and others) I’d say but I think a lesson is likely going to tweak it some. Especially how I address the ball and lie angle in a fitting would be affected by that. 

Thanks! 

11 hours ago, Jester959 said:

So I’ve been playing for almost 4 months. I bought a starter set just to make sure I was committed for 150$. Love the clubs so far honest - all name brand too. That said..  I’m thinking about replacing some of these clubs as I go since they are about 13-15 years old. And on that note I cracked my 6 iron shaft (mizuno mx900 - reg flex, graphite) yesterday and thought it might be time to go ahead and replace these? I’m practicing at least twice a week and always working on my swing. Im fairly athletic (played tennis for 20 years) and also 29 with a fairly fast swing speed. I’m thinking I probably won’t be needing reg flex either. 

So the question is.. should I get fitted or should I buy a nicer used set? Or even get fit then buying barely used if not new on eBay. Thoughts? Budget is about 7-800. 

That's always a tough question.  First of all, forget all that nonsense about needing a consistent swing.   If you don't have to worry too much about missing the ball when you swing, that's consistent enough.   Inconsistent ball flight does not mean you have an inconsistent swing.  

Fitting for a beginner or high handicap is different than fitting for a better player but that is far from saying it's not as important.  In fact the mid to high handicappers have the potential to benefit more from a proper fitting than the high handicap players.  Better players tend to have learned from experience what works for them and what doesn't and naturally gravitate to decent fitting equipment.  Fitting for them tends to be more fine tuning.

For mid and higher handicappers, a proper fitting (which usually does not include what most retail outlets call a fitting), is all about finding equipment that does not get in the way, or make things harder than they need to be, or even to help minimize the severity of the misses.  It's really about:

• Best grip size for the least amount of grip pressure
  • making sure the club lengths are correct - irons not too short at the short end.  Longer clubs not too long. 
    • Stock driver/fairway/hybrid lengths generally are way too long for beginners and make it harder to get consistent face impact than it really needs to be.
  • Shaft weight and swing weight are a  good fit for the players natural tendencies for tempo and rhythm
  • Lie angle for irons not too far off
  • Best face angle for drivers and woods to help minimize any severe left/right miss tendencies.
  • Lastly, lofts for managing distance gaps.

But that also means that the benefits from a fitting will really be more dependent on how bad a fit your current clubs are.  It's certainly possible a beginner can stumble into a decent fitting set of clubs.   It also means it's not always easy to find someone actually knowledgable and able to do a good fitting for beginners.  Unfortunately, anyone who wants to can call themselves a fitter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

That's always a tough question.  First of all, forget all that nonsense about needing a consistent swing.   If you don't have to worry too much about missing the ball when you swing, that's consistent enough.   Inconsistent ball flight does not mean you have an inconsistent swing.  

Fitting for a beginner or high handicap is different than fitting for a better player but that is far from saying it's not as important.  In fact the mid to high handicappers have the potential to benefit more from a proper fitting than the high handicap players.  Better players tend to have learned from experience what works for them and what doesn't and naturally gravitate to decent fitting equipment.  Fitting for them tends to be more fine tuning.

For mid and higher handicappers, a proper fitting (which usually does not include what most retail outlets call a fitting), is all about finding equipment that does not get in the way, or make things harder than they need to be, or even to help minimize the severity of the misses.  It's really about:

• Best grip size for the least amount of grip pressure
  • making sure the club lengths are correct - irons not too short at the short end.  Longer clubs not too long. 
    • Stock driver/fairway/hybrid lengths generally are way too long for beginners and make it harder to get consistent face impact than it really needs to be.
  • Shaft weight and swing weight are a  good fit for the players natural tendencies for tempo and rhythm
  • Lie angle for irons not too far off
  • Best face angle for drivers and woods to help minimize any severe left/right miss tendencies.
  • Lastly, lofts for managing distance gaps.

But that also means that the benefits from a fitting will really be more dependent on how bad a fit your current clubs are.  It's certainly possible a beginner can stumble into a decent fitting set of clubs.   It also means it's not always easy to find someone actually knowledgable and able to do a good fitting for beginners.  Unfortunately, anyone who wants to can call themselves a fitter.

Stuart's suggestions are all really good. Based on your comment about your age & athleticism; I'd wager that you'd benefit from heavier & stiffer shafts. The suggestion at going shorter in your woods is also valid. Most OEMs stock length have been creeping longer for years and now are 45.5" - 46.0". Again, if I were you, 45.0" would be the longest I would play to start.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eth4and said:

Stuart's suggestions are all really good. Based on your comment about your age & athleticism; I'd wager that you'd benefit from heavier & stiffer shafts. The suggestion at going shorter in your woods is also valid. Most OEMs stock length have been creeping longer for years and now are 45.5" - 46.0". Again, if I were you, 45.0" would be the longest I would play to start.

The point about weight is a good one.  

Howard's tutorial for self fitting help is a great read for anyone.   Although the title targets drivers, the methods he describes to figure out best playing length, shaft weight and swing weight are valid for all the longer clubs (hybrids, fairways, as well as driver).  And if you ignore the length issue,  the same tests for shaft weight and swing weight can be used for irons.

For a beginner, if the focus on the results is limited to consistency of the ball flight and face impact, they should be able to get pretty close to a good fit w/o needing a launch monitor.  Then the only thing left is to figure out what might be needed with lofts to optimize the distance gaps.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

The point about weight is a good one.  

Howard's tutorial for self fitting help is a great read for anyone.   Although the title targets drivers, the methods he describes to figure out best playing length, shaft weight and swing weight are valid for all the longer clubs (hybrids, fairways, as well as driver).  And if you ignore the length issue,  the same tests for shaft weight and swing weight can be used for irons.

For a beginner, if the focus on the results is limited to consistency of the ball flight and face impact, they should be able to get pretty close to a good fit w/o needing a launch monitor.  Then the only thing left is to figure out what might be needed with lofts to optimize the distance gaps.

Would you recommend getting fitted for clubs in then buy some in the 800-900$ range (budget) vs buying a more premium set barely used and get fitted for the right shafts and lie angle etc.? 

Edited by Jester959

3 minutes ago, Jester959 said:

Would you recommend getting fitted for clubs in then buy some in the 800-900$ range (budget) vs buying a more premium set barely used and get fitted for the right shafts and lie angle etc.? 

If you get shaft, length and lie, you can work with one of the direct to consumer companies to buy clubs at a slightly cheaper price. I’ve had a wonderful experience with Sub70. The owner actually has his phone number and email on the site, and if you give him what you were fit into, he will find the equivalent in what he has. Great experience, customer service and good value. 

11 hours ago, Jester959 said:

To me, it's how well the specs fit the player that's important, not the price.   If you want to save some money than sure go ahead and buy used if you can find the right combination of head, shaft and specs.

Just realize that buying used and modifying the length can be problematic because of the head weight management.  Lie angle and lofts, even grips are ok to tweak on a used set.   Shafts can be changed but that can end up costing more in the long run than buying new with the right shaft.

• Like 1