This may sound silly but my first attempt at winter golf this past Sunday was a failure. I’ve been playing golf for 20 years but never in the winter. However 2020 was good to my golf game and I didn’t want it to end. So I spent a good amount of money on some winter golf gear and some of it worked and some of it didn’t. Don’t get me wrong... I was warm, but my choices in layers up top made my swing feel very restricted and I couldn’t get comfortable all day. All full shots were a mess but short game was fine. I really feel like it affected my swing. 

I guess my questions is what is your go to method of staying warm up top without feeling restricted? Lower half with tights/pants was fine. Thought about untucking everything but I definitely didn’t want a breeze up my shirt in my follow through. I read on here someone suggested a loose windproof jacket with just a base layer under. 

For reference I wore:

-UA Coldgear Infrafred Long Sleeve Golf Mock (designed for golf)

-UA Playoff Polo 2.0

-UA Storm Daytona Golf Vest

Sorry if this post seems stupid  just looking toward the hardcore winter guys for their go to advice on feeling unrestricted but staying warm. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get some merino wool, forget that UA

Some restriction is unavoidable.  I prefer a much tighter baselayer than that long sleeve UA mock.  Played today and it was 38°F with a good breeze.  Wore the TSLA mock from Amazon.  It's tight but stretchy and moves well.  On top of that I could go with a 1/4 zip or Windlite and Adidas FrostGuard jacket or packable down vest. I'm always taking off something or putting something on while I play to try and get that perfect level of comfort.  I'll typically start off with the baselayer, 1/4 zip, and Frostguard and after walking 5 or 6 holes be down to just the baselayer and 1/4 zip.  

Add in golf mittens, a snood, and a toboggan and I'm all set.  

As long as I have an insulated vest (ZR, North Face Thermoball are my currents), I am good all winter long. My arms just don't get cold, so I am fine with a LS compression shirt, whatever 1/4 zip I would wear when its 55 and the vest.  Up top:  a gaiter/buff and a touque.  My issues are my hands.  I bought a bunch of disposable handwarmers at COSTCO and am thinking about one of those handwarmers that football players use (https://www.titleist.com/golf-gear/accessories/winter-gear/hand-warmer).

M5
Epic Flash SZ
Baffler
Apex Pro Smoke '19
SM7 52
Cobra King 58*
Spider Tour CS

I think a closer/tighter fitting base layer would be better. Maybe skip the polo unless the course requires a collar. A vest, maybe even a heated vest, and a windproof shell. 

When I play in the cold, my hands and feet are usually the ones that suffer the most. I also have a rechargeable hand warmer for the hands. My feet are usually good after the 3rd/4th hole walking.

First off, mark me down as being jealous that of your three layers only one of them was long sleeved and that was enough to keep you warm. That sounds like summer conditions here!

I hear what people are saying about the tighter fitting base layer. They have their positives and negatives depending on how you swing it. I have quite a wide shoulder turn, well in excess of 90 degrees and I find that the tighter fits really restrict my ability to do that and it sounds like that is something you are struggling with. That said, the tighter base layers do seem to help keep you a little warmer.

My suggestion would be to check out the FJ baselayers. They are not the tight but neither are they loose. They strike a good happy medium for my money. Then, I would ditch the polo and go with a nice merino wool jumper. They might look lightweight but the tight weave of most merino jumpers helps trap the heat in. Plus, I find that the merino on top of the base layer which will be polyester actually glides quite well which should help you swing back the way you are used to. Then I would go with your vest that you have.

If you are not used to it, it will never be ideal. I know it will be cold, but hit some balls before you head out if you can. With it being colder you will almost definitely be tighter than you are used to be being and that will not help if you feel you are unable to complete your backswing as well.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

14 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

This may sound silly but my first attempt at winter golf this past Sunday was a failure. I’ve been playing golf for 20 years but never in the winter. However 2020 was good to my golf game and I didn’t want it to end. So I spent a good amount of money on some winter golf gear and some of it worked and some of it didn’t. Don’t get me wrong... I was warm, but my choices in layers up top made my swing feel very restricted and I couldn’t get comfortable all day. All full shots were a mess but short game was fine. I really feel like it affected my swing. 

I guess my questions is what is your go to method of staying warm up top without feeling restricted? Lower half with tights/pants was fine. Thought about untucking everything but I definitely didn’t want a breeze up my shirt in my follow through. I read on here someone suggested a loose windproof jacket with just a base layer under. 

For reference I wore:

-UA Coldgear Infrafred Long Sleeve Golf Mock (designed for golf)

-UA Playoff Polo 2.0

-UA Storm Daytona Golf Vest

Sorry if this post seems stupid  just looking toward the hardcore winter guys for their go to advice on feeling unrestricted but staying warm. 

If you felt restricted with those layers, try figuring out which layer is causing the restriction.

The long sleeve Mock counts a collared shirt, so, you don't really need the polo shirt. You might just need to get use to wearing more stuff. 

Fwiw, on top, I wear a base layer, an insulating layer (different thickness depending on the temperatures), and, a rain jacket or wind breaker. 

long sleeve base layer - heavyweight, non compression.

merino sweater, weight dependent on the temperature. 

FJ Hydrolite jacket. completely windproof and holds in the heat.

either heavyweight pants or rain pants layered over.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Titleist 917F3
Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
Wilson DynaPowered SW
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
it works