2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Feherty is toast.

jobin

16 hours ago, grm24 said:

For those that didn't take the time to read the article he will still be on the NBC and GC golf coverage.

Darn, I was hoping they'd bring back Johnny 😂

I definitely enjoy his inside the ropes commentary, the show was solid for a golf channel production. 

Edited by shoot4par

18 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Yep, discussed on here since it happened.  Along with all the fluff which goes along with the nature of the show and what's expected, I guess, if you bother to watch there are some incredible moments and some fascinating interviews.  He was prepared and had an ear for his guests.  His show with Bill Russell is  absolutely exceptional, and pretty much nothing to do with golf - find a another great interview with Russell anywhere.  Some moments with Watson were moments nobody else got from Tom, same with Trevino and especially Miller.  Harmon was pretty good, Casper, Venturi, Sergio, Wie, Kerr, Annika, Clinton, Bush, Alliss, Nicklaus, Weiskopf, Condi ------ plenty of others, some were duds, but some were pure gold for this kind of show.  I watched the one with Woosie the other day, it's great.

He doesn't get enough credit for some of the work he did with the show, IMO.

He was really good.. He had a very disarming way to get them to open up. This is all just sabotage to get rid of the golf channel. NBC just wants their sports channel and thats it. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I didn't watch the show much because I found his trying-too-hard-to-be-funny persona quite off-putting, right from the opening titles to the various desk or audience segments in-between the interview pieces. Which is a shame, because his interviews were often quite good. The difference being, I think, that the set pieces were either him or someone who wrote for him trying to be funny, whereas what came across in the interviews was his natural wit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The fact that the program was on for a decade and performed at a rather high level from episode to episode is a feat in and of itself. Yes, certainly not all wonderful, but I can reflect on many that I felt were excellent; Tom Watson, Johnny Miller, Jason Day, Henrik Stenson and Suzanne Peterson to name a few. It is unfortunate he didn’t have the opportunity to have Tiger on the show.

I felt overall there was depth, insight, and humour, regardless if at times the shtick didn’t work every moment.

With the corporate move North and the open slot, it will be interesting to see what content takes its place. 

Edited by Draw Driver
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, getitdaily said:

The golf channel we all knew is about to be drastically different. The homey feel it used to have is now replaced with a stuffy corporate feel. The move from Orlando to Connecticut will mean a shift in content. Expect to see more politics and other social justice stuff creep into programming more and more. 

There will soon be no escape from the politics in sports...except to stop watching the "shows" and just watch the live stuff.

Yup. It's already been creeping into Golf Digest and Golf Magazine. People hate it, want to escape it, but they keep shoving it down our throats. Almost as if it's "programming."

As for Feherty, I'd like when he interviewed golfers, but didn't care to watch the episode of anyone else. He had some good episodes. Keegan Bradley's episode was pretty good and I'm not the biggest fan of him.

• Like 4

All the shows I watched of his seemed a bit canned.  It's as if his guests almost didn't care to be there.  Many of them were guided by Feherty as he reminded them and the TV viewers of his unworthiness, which got old.

The only interview remark that comes to mind and still makes me laugh, was when he interviewed Tiger in the 4-wheeler while Tiger was playing in the opening round of Payne's Valley.  As Tiger got into the 4-wheeler, Feherty looked at Tigers spindly lower-legs and said what the heck are those pins, or something like that.  LOL Tiger looked at him and said nothing.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

18 hours ago, iBanesto said:

I think a lot of people forgot how good a player Feherty was in his prime. He had a career I would call better than a journeyman pro.

• 5 European Tour wins
  • 3 Sunshine Tour wins
  • Highest OWGR of 33
  • 1 Ryder Cup team
  • 3 top 10 finishes in majors

Amazing how humble he is re. his own career (best OWGR of 33) compared to Chamblee (best OWGR of 58). Chamblee was obviously also a very accomplished golfer, but listening to them talk about themselves you would think that Feherty was a 5 handicap and Chamblee had won 8 majors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TobesSC said:

Always enjoyed the show but the amount of commercial breaks became unbearable to me.  To make things worse the way they edited the sections going into breaks/coming out of breaks were all previews/summaries so the 1 hour show turns out to be maybe 25 minutes max.

This is 100% false.  It had the same runtime as every other one hour GC show.  It also had the same break structure.  

T Bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Taylormade Stealth 2+ - MCA Kai'li Blue 60s

Callaway Epic Speed 3w & 5w - Project X HZRDUS Smoke im10 70s 

Taylormade '21 P790 4-gw - MCA MMT 105s

Taylormade Hi Toe 2 Raw 54, 58 - Aldila NV Black 105s

Wilson Staff Infitinte Buckingham

Srixon Z Star 🔷

32 minutes ago, weezel514 said:

This is 100% false.  It had the same runtime as every other one hour GC show.  It also had the same break structure.  

I'm not being literal...I'm saying in a 1 hour runtime show that the actual content is 25 minutes max where the rest is commercials or giving you a preview of something later in the interview or a recap of something from previously in the interview coming in/out of commercials.

• Like 2

TSR3 10.0 D1 HZRDUS Black 60 
TSR2 16.5 HZRDUS Black 70
TSR2 21 Hybrid HZRDUS Black 90
T200 4 iron bent weak PX LZ
T100 5-9 PX LZ
SM9 46, 50, 56, 60 PX LZ
Scotty NP2

I have always enjoyed Feherty’s humor and talents, both on his show and in his columns and books. He is, and will optimistically continue to be, a proverbial “breath of fresh air” in this sport we love. 

I admire Feherty’s fortitude in the battle he has waged with his personal demons.  It has been a struggle for him. And I admire and appreciate his love for, and support of, our true heroes- the men and women serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. 

• Like 4

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

5 minutes ago, DLBTide7 said:

I have always enjoyed Feherty’s humor and talents, both on his show and in his columns and books. He is, and will optimistically continue to be, a proverbial “breath of fresh air” in this sport we love. 

I admire Feherty’s fortitude in the battle he has waged with his personal demons.  It has been a struggle for him. And I admire and appreciate his love for, and support of, our true heroes- the men and women serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. 

Amen. Puts his time where his mouth is!

5 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Amazing how humble he is re. his own career (best OWGR of 33) compared to Chamblee (best OWGR of 58). Chamblee was obviously also a very accomplished golfer, but listening to them talk about themselves you would think that Feherty was a 5 handicap and Chamblee had won 8 majors.

You're right. The way Feherty portrays himself on tv, most people would think he was one of those journeyman pros who never won anything.

Just found out Feherty was ranked in the world top 100 for 6 consecutive years from 1989 to 1994.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, getitdaily said:

The golf channel we all knew is about to be drastically different. The homey feel it used to have is now replaced with a stuffy corporate feel. The move from Orlando to Connecticut will mean a shift in content. Expect to see more politics and other social justice stuff creep into programming more and more. 

There will soon be no escape from the politics in sports...except to stop watching the "shows" and just watch the live stuff.

Yep, the programming is already suffering. I will miss watching Feherty though even though all the shows weren't great. 

19 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I've noticed this too.  I tune in to watch golf related topics, not politics.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jecarnl said:

Yep, the programming is already suffering. I will miss watching Feherty though even though all the shows weren't great. 

There's a big part of me that is glad Golf Channel is headed down the route of political and social discussion throughout their programming. It's enabled me to easily turn it off like I've done everything else. I have been reading more and spending less time watching TV. I cant tell you the last time I watched sports center on espn or anything on espn that wasn't a college football game or golf tournament. Golf channel is trending the same way. This may lead to me cutting cable altogether and just getting pgatourlive for me and disney+ for my rugrats. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

some people (read TV execs) just don't get Feherty's self deprecating dry wit. He has tremendous respect for the game while making fun of himself, it was never about him, He might rub people the wrong way, but there are very few announcers or TV personalities that everyone likes..I personally love his style and I get his humor, he was a world class player and has played in the biggest venues and in the heat of the biggest battles ( War by the Shore/ Ryder Cup) which qualifies him like almost no other golf commentator... The GC will be a shell of itself by year's end and when the TW era ends they will have no content except to show his career highlights 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, woodriff said:

I could never figure out why exactly he did that! 

Probably his own arrogance and overinflated sense of his importance to golf, which as it turns out was pretty minor.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

30 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

There's a big part of me that is glad Golf Channel is headed down the route of political and social discussion throughout their programming. It's enabled me to easily turn it off like I've done everything else. I have been reading more and spending less time watching TV. I cant tell you the last time I watched sports center on espn or anything on espn that wasn't a college football game or golf tournament. Golf channel is trending the same way. This may lead to me cutting cable altogether and just getting pgatourlive for me and disney+ for my rugrats. 

Agree 100%.

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

There's a big part of me that is glad Golf Channel is headed down the route of political and social discussion throughout their programming. It's enabled me to easily turn it off like I've done everything else. ding the same way.

I'm not glad. I want to watch, but what they are doing is worrying. Our media is propagandizing every show in their family of networks.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2021 at 10:37 PM, bladehunter said:

I strongly disagree. David is the very definition of genuine.  Flawed. But genuine. And he has a natural knack for pulling the best out of people.  Watch his Matthew mcconaughey interview.  If you don’t want to play a round with those two , it’s you.  

On 1/19/2021 at 12:02 PM, cgasucks said:

Great interviewer but I prefer Peter Kessler back in the day since Kessler doesn't try to make a fool out of himself for a cheap laugh from us.

Too bad Arnold fired him.

David was solid interviewer.   

Kessler is a d-bag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

David was solid interviewer.   

Kessler is a d-bag. 

While Peter knew his golf history, rest assured no one thought more of Peter, than Peter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly