2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

T-MB 2 iron Modus 105 vs Graphite?

Drivingrangehero

I hit the Titleist U500 3 iron with a HZRDUS smoke 6.0 and loved it. I own a T-MB 2 iron with a shaft from a past set. I want to recreate the U500 with the T-MB, but I can’t find a HZRDUS in .355 and none of the club builders will fit a .370 to .355 and install.  Since I don’t have the tools,time, or knowledge to do this. I’m looking for other options. I have Modus 105s in my irons and love them, but I really liked the HZRDUS U500 combo. 

Are there any .355 shafts that would be a close fit to the U500 HZRDUS combo, or even a graphite shaft that is like the Modus 105s around 75-85 grams? I’ve seen some Catalyst 80 gram graphite shafts that are .355, and ZERO Hzrdus pulls online at .355

I have a moderate tempo, easy transition, mid-late release. I swing my 7 iron at 94mph and my Driver around 113mph. I prefer the Modus 105s over the X, because the X feels too stiff. So, I’m looking for a graphite shaft that will be similar to HZRDUS smoke or the Modus 105s steel profile, only lighter and .355

I appreciate any input! 

That's odd a club builder won't trim the .370 tip to fit it to taper tip hosel, trimming is quite common.  Maybe you need to find a more skilled builder - that may cost more?  Finding a .355 tip shaft for T-MB 2 iron should be no problem.  Least I haven't had any problems and only play taper tip in all irons. 

I suspect 716 T-MB was the inspiration for U500 heads but that's another topic.  Anyway, I sold my 716 T-MB 17* 2i, now have the 718 T-MB 17* 2 iron and Steelfiber i110cw "S" shaft that works really nice.   You might consider Steelfiber i95cw it comes in taper tip .355.  I have one for 3i.  It's a really nice shaft too, only the bend profile doesn't fit my quick tempo.

Can't help with 75-85gr shafts as those are a bit too light for me and tend not to have the HIGH bend stiff tip profile.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

1 hour ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I hit the Titleist U500 3 iron with a HZRDUS smoke 6.0 and loved it. I own a T-MB 2 iron with a shaft from a past set. I want to recreate the U500 with the T-MB, but I can’t find a HZRDUS in .355 and none of the club builders will fit a .370 to .355 and install.  Since I don’t have the tools,time, or knowledge to do this. I’m looking for other options. I have Modus 105s in my irons and love them, but I really liked the HZRDUS U500 combo. 

Are there any .355 shafts that would be a close fit to the U500 HZRDUS combo, or even a graphite shaft that is like the Modus 105s around 75-85 grams? I’ve seen some Catalyst 80 gram graphite shafts that are .355, and ZERO Hzrdus pulls online at .355

I have a moderate tempo, easy transition, mid-late release. I swing my 7 iron at 94mph and my Driver around 113mph. I prefer the Modus 105s over the X, because the X feels too stiff. So, I’m looking for a graphite shaft that will be similar to HZRDUS smoke or the Modus 105s steel profile, only lighter and .355

I appreciate any input! 

Graphite Design makes a .355 taper tip utility iron shaft that comes in 85/95 stiff. Accra makes a constant weight .355 taper tip (iCWT 2.0) in a 95 stiff. Mitsubishi offers its new MMT iron shafts as either a specialized utility shaft... but that might be a little heavy for you as 106g stiff; it's also offered in as a .355 taper tip (set); so you could play a 75, 95, or 95 stiff. 

I want to echo what Pepper said though. Fitting .370 hybrid shafts to fit .355 driving iron heads is easy. Any reputable builder can easily complete this retrofit. Virtually every pro on tour playing a utility iron is playing it with a hybrid shaft that started as a .370 OD tip. 

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

That's odd a club builder won't trim the .370 tip to fit it to taper tip hosel, trimming is quite common.  Maybe you need to find a more skilled builder - that may cost more?  Finding a .355 tip shaft for T-MB 2 iron should be no problem.  Least I haven't had any problems and only play taper tip in all irons. 

I suspect 716 T-MB was the inspiration for U500 heads but that's another topic.  Anyway, I sold my 716 T-MB 17* 2i, now have the 718 T-MB 17* 2 iron and Steelfiber i110cw "S" shaft that works really nice.   You might consider Steelfiber i95cw it comes in taper tip .355.  I have one for 3i.  It's a really nice shaft too, only the bend profile doesn't fit my quick tempo.

Can't help with 75-85gr shafts as those are a bit too light for me and tend not to have the HIGH bend stiff tip profile.

Golfers Warehouse and PGA superstore said NO. I’m sure if I sanded the tip myself, they would install it, but I don’t have tools or knowledge on how to trim, so I’d need a shaft pull from a .370 hybrid I suppose. 

I just noticed the U500 had a 92gram shaft...... I made the mistake of thinking it was 80gram, since I saw many online at that weight..... must be a Titleist made for shaft. 

Looks like 80+ grams will be just right. I’d like to play it at standard 2 iron length and add led tape till it feels right, which may be 8-10 grams. 

I’ll look for some of the aforementioned recommendations around 80+ grams

I like to play my clubs at D4+ 

I’ve seen it mentioned that the steelfibers have a high balance  point and swingweight low, if true, the 95 might not work 

• Confused 1

I bought a 718 T-MB from EBay a while back that came with an AMT Red shaft.  Head looked virtually unhit and price was good so I thought I’d simply change the shaft out when it arrived.  Still in there, feels great, performs great.  My iron shafts rotate between a couple sets in the ~110ish gram range.  The AMT Red for long irons is around 95-98 uncut.

BL - an inexpensive experiment might be AMT in either Red or Black.

Edited by Aviador Naval

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

13 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Golfers Warehouse and PGA superstore said NO. I’m sure if I sanded the tip myself, they would install it, but I don’t have tools or knowledge on how to trim, so I’d need a shaft pull from a .370 hybrid I suppose. 

I just noticed the U500 had a 92gram shaft...... I made the mistake of thinking it was 80gram, since I saw many online at that weight..... must be a Titleist made for shaft. 

Looks like 80+ grams will be just right. I’d like to play it at standard 2 iron length and add led tape till it feels right, which may be 8-10 grams. 

I’ll look for some of the aforementioned recommendations around 80+ grams

I like to play my clubs at D4+ 

I’ve seen it mentioned that the steelfibers have a high balance  point and swingweight low, if true, the 95 might not work 

I am surprised PGA Store said no. 

I had the i95cw in my 3i, and it was long.  So, I bought another and put it in 2 iron.  Though it went the distance nearly every shot had a bit of a tail on it, which I don't like cause it made it more difficult for me to move the ball when I wanted.  I expect to hit everything straight, and move it left or right as needed.  Anyway, I pulled it after a few rounds and put Steelfiber i110cw "S" in and all was back to straight.  Mine irons are between D1-D4.

That told me, i95cw bend point is not quite high enough for me, whereas i110 is high and tip section is just right.  But you heard correctly, Steelfiber does have a higher bend point compared to most other graphite iron shafts.  They tend to play stiffer, reason they are so popular on tours.  

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

2 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I had the i95cw in my 3i, and it was long.  So, I bought another and put it in 2 iron.  Though it went the distance nearly every shot had a bit of a tail on it, which I don't like cause it made it more difficult for me to move the ball when I wanted. 

I expect to hit everything straight, and move it left or right as needed.  Anyway, I pulled it after a few rounds and put Steelfiber i110cw "S" in and all was back to straight.  Mine irons are between D1-D4.

That told me, i95cw bend point is not quite high enough for me, whereas i110 is high and tip section is just right.  But you heard correctly, Steelfiber does have a higher bend point compared to most other graphite iron shafts.  They tend to play stiffer, reason they are so popular on tours.  

I snagged a TMB 2i (718) recently and have been looking at those i110's... Might've just sold me on it as I am a big fan of high kick point- the dream would be a ventus black HB but that's way too much $$$

Left Handed

Driver: Titleist 917D3 [SureFit:C2=9.5*@11*] (Diamana W70x) {Golfpride mcc-black}

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti [15*@ 15.75*] (Diamana ltd. 75x) {TM z grip}

3 hybrid: Titleist 818H2 [SureFit:B3=19*@18*] (GD tour AD-DI 85x) {Golfpride mcc-white}

2 Iron: Titleist 718 T-MB [17* std. loft + lie] (X100) {Golfpride Z-cord}

3 Iron: Titleist 712u [21* std. loft + lie] (X100 XP95) {Golfpride tour wrap 2G}

Irons 4-5: Titleist T200 [2* weak, 1*up] (PX6.0) {Golfpride Z-cord align}

Irons 6-Pw: Titleist T100 [std. lofts, 1*up] (PX6.0) {Golfpride Z-cord align}

Wedges: Titleist SM4 [52*, 56*, 60*] (wedge flex) {Golf Pride mcc white & blue}

Putter: 2021 Bettinardi QB6 (coming soon) 

1 minute ago, Goon Golf said:

I snagged a TMB 2i (718) recently and have been looking at those i110's... Might've just sold me on it as I am a big fan of high kick point- the dream would be a ventus black HB but that's way too much $$$

I confirm, Steelfiber i110cw's stiff handle and stiff tip made my 718 2 iron a reliable point and shoot club.  I have a rather aggressive hitter style swing that seldom hits the top, and it holds up well for me.  If I recall it cost $75 or $80 installed.  Aerotech says it's high-mid bend.  I suppose that means bend depends on the users' mechanics. 

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

3 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

How does the steelfiber I 95 compare to the Modus 105? 

I tend to gravitate towards the mid stiff butt/ mid/ and tip. 

The PX LZ / Modus 120 bend do not fit me so well

On the other end of the spectrum, I am OK with a C taper type shaft

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Missing info

I have a Kuro Kage Black Hybrid that came out of an 2016 Apex 2 hybrid. I tipped it 1/4 inch at on point. I suppose I could sand it down from .370 to .355 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

i remember I liked the feel, but not sure how that would compare to a Modus 105 🤔 Anyone know it’s bend profile? 

Steelfiber i95 even in "R" feels stiffer, tends to lower spin, as opposed to Modus 105 profile, which has mid-bend, mid-spin tip for smoother tip action.  

Steelfiber is similar to C-Taper lite but C-Taper lite is not similar to Modus.  Nippon Modus 105 is a popular shaft designed IMO for people that have to the top, smooth full swings. 

@Drivingrangehero - Kuro Kage Black hybrid is very light weight with a mid-low bend, mid-high trajectory.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

51 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

... as opposed to Modus 105 profile, which has mid-bend, mid-spin tip for smoother tip action.  

Steelfiber is similar to C-Taper lite but C-Taper lite is not similar to Modus.  Nippon Modus 105 is a popular shaft designed IMO for people that have to the top, smooth full swings. 

My experience mirrors the bolded statement above but if you look at the full shaft EI data Modus 105 most closely follows the Project X profile - original PX, not PX LZ.  I believe most would say PX is a ‘hitters’ shaft vice a ‘swingers’ shaft.  Ultimately that disconnect throws another log on my personal pyre that says weight is far and away the most important aspect of any shaft.

Edited by Aviador Naval

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

51 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Steelfiber i95 even in "R" feels stiffer, tends to lower spin, as opposed to Modus 105 profile, which has mid-bend, mid-spin tip for smoother tip action.  

The Kuro Kage black Gen 2 is 82 grams. 

I have a slower tempo, a moderate transition and mid-late release

if I remember the shaft optimizer with a 7 iron had me at 94mph

4 tempo, 5 kick angle and 4 release. 

I just was fit for a set of clubs and Modus 105s went in them to get the spin up.  I remeber my launch on my HMB’s with the Modus 105s was 18.5 and the spin was 6900 . The C-Taper 130x which I started with were 19.2 launch at 6200rpm with similar ball speeds 

Typo

33 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

My experience mirrors the bolded statement above but if you look at the full shaft EI data Modus 105 most closely follows the Project X profile - original PX, not PX LZ.  I believe most would say PX is a ‘hitters’ shaft vice a ‘swingers’ shaft.  Ultimately that disconnect throws another log on my personal pyre that says weight is far and away the most important aspect of any shaft.

I had a set of MP 32’s that had the precision rifle 6.0 hard stepped and loved the feel, but got rid of them because I was told they were 6.5’s..... I thought they flew too high, but I just didn’t know any better almost 15 years ago. 

I could definitely game C-Taper 120’s or PX 6.0’s  I like the Modus 105 for the  spin and it helps they feel great too! 

I may give the Kuro Kage a go. I can sand it down to .355 I hope.......... I’ll have to read up on the best method on how.  It’s cheap and easy, if i can get the sanding right, and if it doesn’t work out, I’ll just get a HZRDUS and sand it down ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, Aviador Naval said:

Not to argue, but I played PX 6.0 for 17+/- years till a few years back, and PX 5.5 (115g) for the last year.  What you say regarding EI data is the express reason I tend to ignore it; it misleads people that don't understand it shows factions that in the hands of a golfer isn't detectable let alone measurable. 

I did not experience Modus 105 or 120 "S" and PX 5.5 or 6.0 to be similar.  Even the Modus 120 "S" whose 114g weight is closer to PX 6.0 120g, requires a more deliberate tempo to match it's mid-spin and mid-trajectory.  Maybe that's tied to what I see as a disconnect between the two shafts.  Modus "R" to "TX" flex are all mid-high bend, meant to fit a lot of people, which it does, based on popularity.  PX demands a fast tempo and transition to match it's non-stepped stiff butt, unique mid-section and demanding low-spin tip section; said by many to feel like rebar... LOL Clearly, it's not designed for the masses.   

I do agree with you, to an extent, weight or maybe just as important swing weight plays an important role in whether someone makes a given shaft work properly.   Recently, I tested a mid-high bend 95g "S" golf shaft set at C9 SW, and didn't like it, felt like a soft tip.  Tested another 92g shaft with high bend, stiff tip section and swing weight on cusp of D1/D2, and suddenly it had plenty of pop and distance.  Dang, there's lots to learn about...

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

52 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Not to argue, but I played PX 6.0 for 17+/- years till a few years back, and PX 5.5 (115g) for the last year.  What you say regarding EI data is the express reason I tend to ignore it; it misleads people that don't understand it shows factions that in the hands of a golfer isn't detectable let alone measurable. 

I did not experience Modus 105 or 120 "S" and PX 5.5 or 6.0 to be similar.  Even the Modus 120 "S" whose 114g weight is closer to PX 6.0 120g, requires a more deliberate tempo to match it's mid-spin and mid-trajectory.  Maybe that's tied to what I see as a disconnect between the two shafts.  Modus "R" to "TX" flex are all mid-high bend, meant to fit a lot of people, which it does, based on popularity.  PX demands a fast tempo and transition to match it's non-stepped stiff butt, unique mid-section and demanding low-spin tip section; said by many to feel like rebar... LOL Clearly, it's not designed for the masses.   

I do agree with you, to an extent, weight or maybe just as important swing weight plays an important role in whether someone makes a given shaft work properly.   Recently, I tested a mid-high bend 95g "S" golf shaft set at C9 SW, and didn't like it, felt like a soft tip.  Tested another 92g shaft with high bend, stiff tip section and swing weight on cusp of D1/D2, and suddenly it had plenty of pop and distance.  Dang, there's lots to learn about...

Agreed on weight. My best dispersion on testing was

1. Modus 105s

2.DG X105

3. TT Elevate Tour/

4. C-Taper 130x

All pretty close, but the Modus 105 best, it was better on launch and spin!

5. Modus 120x distant 5th

6. PX LZ 6.5/ Modus 120s not very good results. When I did find the center of the face, they felt smooth, but I was sporadic. 

I was playing TT XP 115 at the time

The C-Taper 130x were pretty straight, but I felt like I had to work too hard, and the spin was lowish. 

there comes a point where a bad profile is worse that a too heavy weight for me I suppose.  I bet I’d get along with the KBS Tour V 110

Missing info

After going through some shafts I had from past hybrids that I’ve pulled I’ve found a fewpossibilities, but really it’s down to 2 of the 4

1. Kuro Kage stiff Black HY Next Gen 82g

2. Fujikura EXS Blue stiff 75g

3. Grafalloy Supercharged blue stiff 75g

4. Tensei white x-stiff 90g

3 of the 4 shafts came out 2hybrids

Tensei White came out of a Titleist 4 hybrid . I remember trying to put it in a 2 hybrid, and it was awful. I made what I felt like was good swings and I would hit high toe on the hybrid every time. I think it was far too stiff. Like an X-stiff Hard stepped x/2. 

Kuro Kage 82 grams I remember liking when it was in my Apex, and the only reason I took it out was to put in some thing that was lower lunch and longer length (Aldila 2KXV 85g x-stiff.) Hindsight, I probably could’ve just extended the butt A half inch and got the same results. From a weight perspective, this seems the best. I plan on playing it at standard 2 iron length for graphite which was 39.75”

So if I play the Kuro Kage at the same length, I “may” get somewhere around D-2 and adding lead tape may get the overall weight to be the same as the U500. The added weight in the head will increase the SW as well, which I like anyways! 

Fujikura EXS 75gram (not much info on these  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) it was fine in my TEE CBX119, but I wanted to replicate the feel of the TEE EXS Pro that I hit, which had a Tensei silver, so I ended up throwing a Tensei Blue in it instead, because the Silver AV was out of stock ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  

Grafalloy Supercharged 75gram was intended irons from what I read (not much info on these either) feels pretty smooth and had a decent flight on the Hybrid I had it in (Adams super 9031 proto 4hybrid) but I wanted my hybrid to be more iron like, so I put in a Modus 105s 1/2” over hs/x1. 

My goal is to make it a versatile gamer that will gap between my 16* and 20* hybrid since I’m thinking of eliminating a wedge. So instead of going 51* 55* 61* , I’ll go 52* 57*  and at the top  Driver

16*hybrid

17*2 iron

20* hybrid

23* hybrid 

5-PW 

My other option would be to get a 4-5wood that I have been eyeing (Cobra King LTD) but my consistency and dispersion is not nearly as good as it is with an iron or hybrid. 

843E472E-D599-4704-8629-A1D7E424B644.jpeg

On 1/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, Drivingrangehero said:

Agreed on weight. My best dispersion on testing was

1. Modus 105s

2.DG X105

3. TT Elevate Tour/

4. C-Taper 130x

All pretty close, but the Modus 105 best, it was better on launch and spin!

5. Modus 120x distant 5th

6. PX LZ 6.5/ Modus 120s not very good results. When I did find the center of the face, they felt smooth, but I was sporadic. 

I was playing TT XP 115 at the time

The C-Taper 130x were pretty straight, but I felt like I had to work too hard, and the spin was lowish. 

there comes a point where a bad profile is worse that a too heavy weight for me I suppose.  I bet I’d get along with the KBS Tour V 110

My favorite iron shafts ever are Modus 130/Tour V- basically the exact same profile- stiff butt, very stiff mid, medium-soft tip. Those are followed by Modus 105- really like those as well. I absolutely dislike Modus 120 and PX LZ- Dispersion is all over the place.

Maybe just throw a Modus 105 in your utility iron.  I have Modus 105 in my Utility iron and Modus 130 in my 5-52* Wedge and find they pair well together.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

1 hour ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

My favorite iron shafts ever are Modus 130/Tour V- basically the exact same profile- stiff butt, very stiff mid, medium-soft tip. Those are followed by Modus 105- really like those as well. I absolutely dislike Modus 120 and PX LZ- Dispersion is all over the place.

Maybe just throw a Modus 105 in your utility iron.  I have Modus 105 in my Utility iron and Modus 130 in my 5-52* Wedge and find they pair well together.

I traded an older hybrid with a friend for his 1/2” over 3 iron shaft, which is a   Project X Catalyst 80 6.0 graphite shaft that weighs 85 grams.  If that doesn’t work out, then the Modus 105s will most likely go in it. I have them in my 3,4 hybrid and my 5-GW. I’ve never hit the Modus 130. I’m getting olde and have lower back arthritis, so I’m liking the lighter shafts. I played either S400/X100 for the past 20+ years.