Has your advice (solicited or un-) ever helped a golf buddy?

bonvivantva

I was thinking about this while hitting some balls the other day.  My father gave me some solicited and some unsolicited advice over the years which has maybe helped me get through a round, but hasn't really changed my swing in any long term way.  My dad started getting serious about golf when he retired, which was about the same time I got into golf, which was in college.  He dropped down to a single handicap pretty quickly as he was playing a lot of golf.  I was more of a once every two months type of player for the first 10 years which held me back.  His advice has always been stuff like 'don't swing so hard', 'shorten your backswing', stuff like that.  Things that will get you through a round, but won't really address your faults.  That's probably a safe way to dole out advice.  My buddies, and even my buddies' dads, love to offer unsolicited advice.  'You're lifting your heel', 'maybe weaken your grip', 'you need to follow through', 'swing to first base', stuff like that.  These are mostly people with 20+ handicaps.

The only time I can think of that someone's advice helped me out was on my first golf trip ever which was in Myrtle Beach.  I shared a cart with a guy I barely knew.  He saw me struggling to get out of the sand, and he showed me how to open the face of the club and change my stance to give myself a shot at escape.  I was more of a true beginner then, but he saw a clear issue and helped me fix it.

I personally try to avoid unsolicited advice.  If a buddy is playing ok, they don't need it.  If they're struggling, they're usually not in the mood to hear it.  I can think of one friend that used to turn away in the backswing.  Not rotate, but turn away so that his head was out behind his trail heel, and then try to find his way back to the ball.  I suggested some videos he might want to watch one time, but I doubt he ever did.  Then one spring he said his realtor had given him a couple lessons over the winter and sure enough, he'd stopped turning back and was rotating better.  His explanation was that the realtor had fixed his grip.

I generally don't offer people advice. First and foremost, because I'm not qualified lol. But also, because my view is that any advice offered on-course to make a swing change is likely going to screw someone up. I'm working on changing my swing, but I do that work on the range. What I bring to the course is what it is that day. 

But I had a good one a few weeks ago. I was a single matched up with another single and two buddies. It was after some heavy rains, and the two buddies were in carts and the course was cart path only that day. I and the other single were walking (for me because I prefer it, but the fact that it was cart path only made the decision even easier).

I was having one of my worst rounds--almost met my handicap on the front nine. One of the two buddies was a pretty solid golfer, though, and was playing pretty decently. 

He was a lefty, and played a fade off the tee, and generally found himself on the left side most of the day. The cart paths, as many courses are designed, were down the right sides of the holes most of the time. So he was doing a lot of walking.

So, after I'd spent most of the front nine embarrassing myself with poor play, by the time we got to about the ninth tee I decided to open up...

Me: "Hey man... I don't normally like to give people golf advice, but I think I see something that could really help you today..."

Him (skeptically): "Really?"

Me: "Yeah... It's cart path only today. You need to be hitting to the other side of the fairways!"

I'm not sure it helped him or anyone... Except to have a laugh. 

• Like 3

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Yeah I have successfully told some to move their lower thumb off the center of shaft and more across it.  So many wanna control the shaft with that lower thumb cause feels natural BUT it will take over causing too much movement of the head when you dont want its input...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

I was playing the other day with a random guy and his GF; we paired up on the 1st tee of the 6-hole pitch and put. The poor guy was really struggling: he was skulling every chip 20 yards past the hole, meaning he was 20 yards past the hole on while lying one, lying 2, lying 3....

I showed him (on the 3rd hole) that he didn't need to take his club back to 10:00 and then decelerate to chip the ball 20 feet.  He proceeded to pull it back to 7:00, nice and easy like I showed him, and chipped to within 3 feet!  

Of course, it all went out the window on hole 4 (back to the 10:30 backswing for a chip) and he ended up picking up his ball on 4/5/6 as there is a 6 stroke limit on that course with people waiting.  Still, he thanked me as we parted and said he was going over to the practice area to work on chipping; my tip really helped and it was the only decent shot he hit all day!  

that is a little different than a swing change though.  Modulating how far to bring the club back on a chip is something that can be done manually w/o screwing up the rest of the swing

I once got a tip from a very good player: he noted that I was bowing my trail arm on the downswing as I had been fighting hooks all day.  It was about a month after I had started playing. Sure enough, I thought about it the rest of the day and made par on 4 of the last 6 holes (from the tips).  Hanging out here though, I am starting to learn to self-diagnose but subtle feedback is always welcome.  

Edited by RoyalMustang
  • Like 2

I normally don't give advice, if I am asked I just talk about what I think constitutes a good swing, so I now will just send them the efficient swing series and let them decide.

Oddly enough I was asked recently for advice from a regular playing partner. At times I hit it miles past him so he asked me my thoughts, he told me why was trying to increase distance by turning more. The issue was his shoulder turn was super flat with his arms pinned to his chest, so club got way behind him. No choice but to have a big OTT move, at times taking a divot with his driver, very low ball flight. I told him its a pivot not a turn, and how the shoulders/spine should work to prevent the arms from getting so stuck. Next drive he hit twice as high with solid distance. Now if only I could follow my own advice lol

• Like 1

Don’t give it.  Might discuss theories or feels if the other guy initiates.  

I have a couple buddies who this happens with regularly. But we each know each other’s deals inside and out.  So kind of like talking to yourself.  

now I have 2 buddies ( maybe 3 how ) who have given me a lot of help over the years.  And to no shock.  99..% of it is a small feel idea wrapped inside a mental lesson.  It basically boils down to you either “can or can’t “.  You can only polish things that are solid enough to take it. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I generally don't tell people things, everybody's swing and level of ability is different and I don't think I'm any guru that can properly see things and diagnose problems on the fly, especially on the course. But a few years back I went to the range and as I was working through my bucket I could hear a guy about my age in the practice bunker nearby getting angry at himself for his inability to get out. From a distance I watched, and it was clear after two swings that he had no idea the proper setup and technique to do it right, he was trying to hit a straight faced full swing shot and was either leaving it in the bunker or hitting it 50 yards. So I walked over, told him I'd heard and seen him struggling and simply showed him how to open the face. He hit 2 shots nearly perfectly and had a huge smile on his face.

• Like 1

I suppose that I have a bit of checkered past on this one.  I have worked with friends in the past on the their swings and I have advised them on the course at times usually with little to no effect.  I try not to give any advice now days other than to a friend who I golf with often and sometimes can spot something.  If I do feel overcome by the urge to give someone advice I will say that I see something and ask if they want to hear it?  LOL if the answer is is 'no' I am quite happy to shut it.  Strangers, no chance unless they ask.

Hmmm, there is one thing though that I have used with great success which is the shank cure that I have seen several pros advise.  When someone is shanking a lot of shots in a casual round I will have them take their stance normally and swing 3 times missing the ball on the inside and then go ahead and swing through hitting the ball.  I have never seen this drill fail to cure chronic shanks.

• Like 1

Actual swing advice? I try to avoid it like the plague. I'm not a professional. I might point out to my closest golf buddies "Oh hey man I noticed you were aimed way over there on that last shot" if they are struggling but thats about it.

I know for a fact I have cut 5-10 shots off my wife and best buddies caps the last season or two by teaching them basic course management. My wife went from a 27 or so handicap 2 years ago to a legit 14 cap that can beat a bunch of my buddies.

Teaching them about A/B/C windows for punch outs and chip outs. "A" being safest and most conservative, C being risky and low probability etc. "Look for your 3 windows" etc.

If the trouble is short, take an extra club. Teaching them to have a fairway finder or "safe" type of tee shot if driver is hurting them. Hitting more high percentage shots to limit damage. Hammering it in them to putt if at all possible to minimize disaster. Easy things like Rule #1 is get the ball out of the bunker.

• Like 2

Many of my friends are mid-hi caps.  If I see a problem that can be adjusted within reason, I first ask if he/she wants my input on something I noticed.  Because of my attention to details and being self-taught, I tend to notice what others may overlook.  Like there's a difference between someone's idiosyncrasies and minor errors.  Such as the ball sliding back in someone's stance without them noticing that is causing them a problem.  What I won't do is play instructor, especially with my wife.  NEVER instruct your wife, even if she asks for guidance.  It's better to get her a teacher. 

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I don't give advice since my swing is one plane anyway and everyone else is 2 planes. However, I was asked once by a foursome guy why his driver shots were going right. I just gave me a tip to bow the left wrist at the top of the backswing and wallah, his release was back & fixed his slice.

He was so over the moon I scored a nice cold large Coors Lite after at the 19th👍

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I don't sense anyone responding would ever be this guy, not even close, but don't be this guy, lol:  I remember the first time I saw Monte in person.  Visiting folks in Palm Desert, my daughter and I drove over to Irvine for a good session on the range and short game.  Next morning before my dad, daughter and I played I went over to the range early and was at the chipping green trying to hit little pitches of about 10 -20 yards and working on a totally new technique. I'm hitting it terrible, but not frustrated, just trying to work it out.  I hear "you're doing that all wrong", it doesn't really register until I hear it again and look up and around kind of behind me and some random guy is doing kind of an "air wedge" thing with his club angled back to his right foot, tons of shaft lean and just looking at me.  I basically just said "working on something new, thanks" and was happy that he just looked disgusted with my technique and wandered off for his prune juice.  LOL. I'm almost positive this is the day I went out and shot about 110 and airmailed 5 of the gated community "pueblos" right and left of some fairways. Day after that, almost 30 strokes better!

I liked this guy:  Memory has faded, so could have been the day after the above, may have been later than that --- I'm at the same practice green, early morning before playing and I think I'm getting it!  Hitting some really nice little shots and really enjoying myself. Heck, was probably doing it wrong, lol.  Another random but sawed off and thoughtful gentleman comes over and says, "I'd give you $100 if you could show my how to do that."  I was so dumbstruck I know I said something about not being an instructor, but I can give you the name of the guy who's teaching me and thanks, etc., and he was actually serious about it, but no, I didn't even try. I'm sure just mentioned trying to release the club and blubbered whatever I could verbalize about my intent.   Now that was kind of fun.  Never happened before, never happened since, haha.

• Like 3

I have one buddy who is better than me (he doesn't keep a handicap, but I'm a 6 handicap) but he asks me for advice. An example is he wanted to increase his swing speed and I told him to speed up his backswing -- he picked up 5 mph with his driver immediately.  That was an exception, though. Most of the time, he tells me what he wants to fix and I'll send him a couple videos that address that problem. I don't try to fix it for him.

But I have another friend who only plays occasionally. The first time I played with him, he was hitting these gigantic banana slices that kept going OB and shot over 100. So the next time we played, I told him to show up early so we could practice on the range. Fixed his grip, setup and path where he was actually hitting draws (and hooks). He was able to take that onto course and shot in the 90's. He was thrilled. 

I don't pretend to know a lot about the swing and wouldn't try to help an avid golfer. But there's a big segment of the population who are absolutely terrible and they have no idea why. Like my buddy was totally clueless on what causes a slice. He's not going to go to an instructor or even watch youtube videos because he's not that serious about it -- he wants to just go hang out and drink some beers. If I don't help him, then no one will. 

That said, I only offer advice when asked. I was paired with a couple of guys this week who probably shot over 110 and I didn't say a thing to them. 

When I was in my teens and early twenties, a lot of my friends decided to take up golf. I’d already been playing for 10 years and had already shot in the sixties a few times so they all came to me for advice. I was pretty good at teaching the fundamentals. Once they got to the point of breaking 100 into the low 90’s, I stopped giving advice unless it was asked for. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krt22 said:

I normally don't give advice, if I am asked I just talk about what I think constitutes a good swing, so I now will just send them the efficient swing series and let them decide.

Oddly enough I was asked recently for advice from a regular playing partner. At times I hit it miles past him so he asked me my thoughts, he told me why was trying to increase distance by turning more. The issue was his shoulder turn was super flat with his arms pinned to his chest, so club got way behind him. No choice but to have a big OTT move, at times taking a divot with his driver, very low ball flight. I told him its a pivot not a turn, and how the shoulders/spine should work to prevent the arms from getting so stuck. Next drive he hit twice as high with solid distance. Now if only I could follow my own advice lol

It sounds like you're describing my swing, or at least the natural swing I've been fighting since I started golf.

24 minutes ago, acekun said:

I have one buddy who is better than me (he doesn't keep a handicap, but I'm a 6 handicap) but he asks me for advice. An example is he wanted to increase his swing speed and I told him to speed up his backswing -- he picked up 5 mph with his driver immediately.  That was an exception, though. Most of the time, he tells me what he wants to fix and I'll send him a couple videos that address that problem. I don't try to fix it for him.

But I have another friend who only plays occasionally. The first time I played with him, he was hitting these gigantic banana slices that kept going OB and shot over 100. So the next time we played, I told him to show up early so we could practice on the range. Fixed his grip, setup and path where he was actually hitting draws (and hooks). He was able to take that onto course and shot in the 90's. He was thrilled. 

I don't pretend to know a lot about the swing and wouldn't try to help an avid golfer. But there's a big segment of the population who are absolutely terrible and they have no idea why. Like my buddy was totally clueless on what causes a slice. He's not going to go to an instructor or even watch youtube videos because he's not that serious about it -- he wants to just go hang out and drink some beers. If I don't help him, then no one will. 

That said, I only offer advice when asked. I was paired with a couple of guys this week who probably shot over 110 and I didn't say a thing to them. 

This reminds me of one of my best friend's dad.  We're pretty close ourselves and often ride in the cart together.  He has about the most epic slice you can imagine that is still playable.  By that I mean he aims out about 45 degrees left and slices the ball into the fairway (usually).  

We were all talking to him one day after a round and someone (thankfully not I), said something about his, "slice."  You'd think we'd insulted his mother.  He totally objected to the idea that he had a slice despite the rest of the foursome eventually and under duress siding with the accuser.  This guy shoots in the mid 80s to mid 90s.  He plays a couple times a week, and is definitely working on his game, but he refuses to believe he has a slice.  I've never tried to give him any advice, but when that new Big Bertha driver came out that they were marketing as the slice killer, I did send it to that guy's son and suggest it as an xmas prezzie.  

• Like 1

I play in a group with quite a few higher handicappers. I generally don't offer advice unless they ask an opinion or ask me to watch to see if they are doing something they are trying to correct. I have had a couple of the guys ask me to meet them on the range and help them out, which I gladly do. I'm no swing guru, but kind of golf nerd and student of the game... (lot's of great discussions in this forum).

I play with one guy that I have known for many years, and have helped in the past. I will occasionally give him tips on the course, but nothing major. He always complains that I only give him enough help in small bits so he still owes me money in out betting games...

Tough topic to broach. I see guys on the range helping people that have no business doing so. It's especially tough watching guys teach their wives/girlfriends. I left that to the pros (although I do help her now that she is under a 18 handicap)

• Like 1

Years ago I played in a evening golf league with a super nice guy with a wicked bad slice who no one wanted to get paired up with most nights.

We're talking barely keeping it in play and not breaking 50 for 9 holes easily.

So one night we're warming up next to each other on the range and he says to me " how do I hit the ball straighter ? " ..... I'm thinking this may not go well for either of us, gulp.....

Got him to close his stance, take the club more outside and reroute it inside and actually square up the club. So of course we end up on the same team that night, he keeps it in play and is really happy when I call his now "slice" a "pro fade." lol

Fortunately my wife and son are naturally athletic and I was smart enough to send em to a club pro who worked well with them. I have some friends who are former mini-tour players, they would provide an occasional range session too.

Don't get me started on some ex-jock trying to teach his girlfriend to play golf when he himself is a 20+ handicap. yikes