Job offer in PHX ... looking for suggestions for a good family-friendly country club and community?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do all of you have so much money ?

Ugh. I don't do crypto, GME, or SPACs. I guess sticking with Vanguard index funds is why I will be stuck playing Cave Creek and Aguila for the rest of my life. 🙄

Topic cleaned up. Offending member on vacation in Scottsdale for a while.    Carry on and report any further violations for review. 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Damn, 300K house is a tear down in Phoenix now?!  Guess I’m never moving back. OP, enjoy Phoenix, I can’t offer you any advice but I can certainly say I’m envious!

Yes depending on the area. If you can find one for 300k. The tare downs in the area OP is looking at range from 400-1mil, depending on how big the lot is. 

It's really worth a trip to the valley to get the lay of the land before you make any decisions. We did this about 18 months ago and ended up finding temporary housing in Scottsdale for about 10 weeks. Had all of our stuff packed and sent to PHX and stored waiting for our final destination. That gave us time to get a feel for things.  Find a good realtor...probably more realtors than golf holes in the valley. They'll know the places to steer clear of as well as anyone. Give them your specifications and let them do the work. Good luck.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, AZ_JHWK said:

It's really worth a trip to the valley to get the lay of the land before you make any decisions. We did this about 18 months ago and ended up finding temporary housing in Scottsdale for about 10 weeks. Had all of our stuff packed and sent to PHX and stored waiting for our final destination. That gave us time to get a feel for things.  Find a good realtor...probably more realtors than golf holes in the valley. They'll know the places to steer clear of as well as anyone. Give them your specifications and let them do the work. Good luck.

thank you -- good advice, we are working with a realtor.  And we do plan to get out there.  The problem is the market seems to be white hot as CA residents (and others) migrate east due to remote work arrangements.  It seems like if you find a good home -- you have to strike immediately or its gone. 

TM Sim 8* Tour Issue w/ Diamana BF 60TX

TM Sim 15* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Cobra F7 2-3hy w/ Matrix Ozik Red Tie 85s

Srixon ZX5 w/ KBS C-Taper Light 115g

Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50/54/58 w/ Nippon Modus 3 105S

Bettinardi Tour Issue DASS Kuchar Model 1 ("KM1") Armlock or

PXG One and Done Armlock

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, Qwiklap said:

thank you -- good advice, we are working with a realtor.  And we do plan to get out there.  The problem is the market seems to be white hot as CA residents (and others) migrate east due to remote work arrangements.  It seems like if you find a good home -- you have to strike immediately or its gone. 

This is exactly right.  People are lined up by the dozens to buy houses.  Inventory is very low and demand is very high.  Most houses that are reasonably priced based on value are under contract in 72 hours or less.

7 hours ago, Qwiklap said:

My cousin and her husband are realtors there and just messaged my parents saying this. My parents luckily bought a place in December with their help but already since then comps in their 55+ community are going for mid to upper 400s compared to theirs at low 400s.  

Market was tough then and it’s gotten even worse. Less homes on the market and more people wanting to move. 

But at your budget may be different. 

5 hours ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

My cousin and her husband are realtors there and just messaged my parents saying this. My parents luckily bought a place in December with their help but already since then comps in their 55+ community are going for mid to upper 400s compared to theirs at low 400s.  

Market was tough then and it’s gotten even worse. Less homes on the market and more people wanting to move. 

But at your budget may be different. 

Don't think it is too different.  We put our deposit down on a new build in a master planned community in May 2019.  At that time the house base price, no land, no upgrades, no changes was $1.48M (we upgraded everything and completely changed several elements of design, to the point where they threatened to pull our contract if we didn't finish).  Now the same house plan is $1.936M with cheap crap and no changes.  2 acre lots have gone from $350k on average to $500k on average and there's exactly one lot left in the entire community for similarly sized homes.  They put the smaller homes up for sale a few weeks ago and the ones starting at $930K sold 9 lots in the first 3 days.  The ones starting at $728K sold 4 lots in the first 3 days and they are tiny homes on tiny lots.  We're shocked at how quickly things are selling and had an unsolicited offer for ~$400k more than we paid for our home already.  It is of no interest to me as we plan to live in this house for the next 10-15 years but It was fascinating that people were so aggressive in asking.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, azmx said:

Oh, I have no doubt that this is true.  I'm talking about getting in now.  That didn't used to be the case.

The guys I know have been members from the beginning or pretty close to the beginning. Yeah they definitely want the part timers. I think it started when Parsons bought Scottsdale National and said the guys that live here full time and use the course the most donate the least! Guys at the rock caught on. 

Hey all — this is the OP. Thought I would provide a quick update.

We have a house under contract in the Windgate Ranch neighborhood in Scottsdale.  We toured it virtually and offers came in the night of the coming soon preview, including from us.  We ultimately got the contract, and my wife flew out to actually see the house and the area.  She was happy — so I am happy.  All is moving toward a close in May.  Which works great for us.  I don’t think it will be a forever house, but it seemed like a can’t miss as a 2-3 house for us.

We are currently about to accept a contract on our house in Northern VA - where it is also white hot.  So I overpaid in AZ — and am probably getting overpaid in VA.  

But DC Ranch is the local club - once I get out there, I will check it out.  It does seem to be a bit speedy (high initiation and high dues - but does offer some equity, so there is that). Silver Leaf is actually closer — but I would want a family club.  

I may just play Gray Hawk and some of the local public/semi-privates for a while until I get settled.

Anyone here a member at DC Ranch?  Or play Gray Hawk?   

Off Topic:  Anyone have any suggestions on a Scottsdale/PHX bathroom remodeler/designer and perhaps an AV installer (I want to convert a room to a dedicated media room)?

PXG One and Done Armlock

18 hours ago, Qwiklap said:

Hey all — this is the OP. Thought I would provide a quick update.

We have a house under contract in the Windgate Ranch neighborhood in Scottsdale.  We toured it virtually and offers came in the night of the coming soon preview, including from us.  We ultimately got the contract, and my wife flew out to actually see the house and the area.  She was happy — so I am happy.  All is moving toward a close in May.  Which works great for us.  I don’t think it will be a forever house, but it seemed like a can’t miss as a 2-3 house for us.

We are currently about to accept a contract on our house in Northern VA - where it is also white hot.  So I overpaid in AZ — and am probably getting overpaid in VA.  

But DC Ranch is the local club - once I get out there, I will check it out.  It does seem to be a bit speedy (high initiation and high dues - but does offer some equity, so there is that). Silver Leaf is actually closer — but I would want a family club.  

I may just play Gray Hawk and some of the local public/semi-privates for a while until I get settled.

Anyone here a member at DC Ranch?  Or play Gray Hawk?   

Off Topic:  Anyone have any suggestions on a Scottsdale/PHX bathroom remodeler/designer and perhaps an AV installer (I want to convert a room to a dedicated media room)?

Congrats! I tried to buy one of the last good lots in Wingate a few years ago and was going to build there. It is a nice neighborhood. Not sure what DC Ranch membership costs but I would think that it is less than Silverleaf but I may be wrong. I have played Grayhawk a lot over the years(I worked there when I was in college actually) but haven't played there much lately. I dont know for sure but I think the closest decent priced CC would be Tatum Ranch or Ancala CC. Good luck

• 4 months later...

Hey all -- I thought I would check in with everyone.

I am officially an Arizona resident. We moved in about month ago.

It's been hot, but nice so far.  We like the house - and especially where it is located.  I played golf for the first time out here a week ago at TPC Champions which was reasonably nice (for $80 including cart) - and we even had great weather (it was right after the recent storms).

I toured two local clubs recently.  Pinnacle Peak and DC Ranch.  Pinnacle Peak's new clubhouse is really beautiful on the inside, and the folks seem super nice.  We were invited to attend their family fun night - which our kids really enjoyed.  And I really like meeting the couple of families that I spoke with.  But on the downside it also seems like an older club (their avg member age is 10 years higher than DC Ranch).  That said, they are trying to get younger.  The course is closed now for a bunker renovation - but it looks nice (with lots of water as it sits on some natural wells).  All that said -- generally in terms of facilities, family probably would not use the club very much (it would just be me golfing).

DC Ranch is a spectacular facility!  The clubhouse, pool and fitness facilities are absolutely pristine, and gorgeous.  And they are renovating the Men's grill and locker room presently.  That said, the initiation and fees are also substantially higher than Pinnacle Peak -- but it is appreciably nicer in terms of facilities.  I did not play the course (yet), but it also looks to be in pristine condition.  It's also a 5 min drive from home - versus 10+ min for Pinnacle.  And if I wanted to -- I could drop my gym membership at Village and just use the gym at DC Ranch it is so nice. 

I am still pondering, but in the end, I think I may pursue membership at DC Ranch.  That said ... both clubs have a 18-24 month wait list for membership.  WTF?  Five months ago when I started this thread the DC Ranch wait was like 3 months (I called out there).  

I know it's like that everywhere now.  The club we left in VA has like a 30 month wait list now (and 500 golf memberships). 

BTW -- anyone want to get out for some rounds?  I would love to play more of the local courses!

Edited by Qwiklap
  • Like 1

PXG One and Done Armlock