Can the Golf Channel get any more BORING?

BenSeattle

5 hours ago, TheIncelGolfer said:

Poster above mentioned NBC tanking GC so they could put them behind a pay way wall. It would suck for people that watch other channels but for me it would be great since the only reason I pay for Sling is for Euro Tour and PGA stuff on GC. Wish they'd make a la carte tv already. 

I’m not sure NBC is allowed to put Golf Channel behind a paywall. I would imagine that would go against their contract.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

11 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

Shane Bacon is something like a +2 handicap.

According to Arizona GHIN, there are two Shane Bacon's registered.  One is at Dobson Ranch Golf Club and the other is at Phoenix Country Club and are showing a +4.2 index.

Being a good golfer doesn't always equate to a good TV personality.

31 minutes ago, jimbonecrusher said:

According to Arizona GHIN, there are two Shane Bacon's registered.  One is at Dobson Ranch Golf Club and the other is at Phoenix Country Club and are showing a +4.2 index.

Being a good golfer doesn't always equate to a good TV personality.

Right, but he’s not a hacker

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

5 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Yah but we want to hear golf commentary from guys who played on tour. Otherwise it's no differrnt than talking to your normal 4some partners. 

Hate to be so hard on Bacon and Hack but man they truly sound like they should be on the air after 12am on your local am radio trucker station.

41 minutes ago, nikeblades00 said:

Yah but we want to hear golf commentary from guys who played on tour. Otherwise it's no differrnt than talking to your normal 4some partners. 

Hate to be so hard on Bacon and Hack but man they truly sound like they should be on the air after 12am on your local am radio trucker station.

Well you need a host.  Someone who can actually "run" a show.  So while yes you want tour players, you want a broadcaster hosting.  Why Hack *and* Bacon are on there, can be the question asked.  OR whether Bacon or Hack should be the guy, but you don't want a Tour player "running" things if they aren't good at it.

13 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Well you need a host.  Someone who can actually "run" a show.  So while yes you want tour players, you want a broadcaster hosting.  Why Hack *and* Bacon are on there, can be the question asked.  OR whether Bacon or Hack should be the guy, but you don't want a Tour player "running" things if they aren't good at it.

I agree with you that you need a professional host for the panel. The problem is they have a show where it is just Hack and Bacon spewing jibberish for an hour back and forth.

23 minutes ago, nikeblades00 said:

I agree with you that you need a professional host for the panel. The problem is they have a show where it is just Hack and Bacon spewing jibberish for an hour back and forth.

Which is really the issue.  Not to mention, producers may be actually wanting this type of thing.

I've posted this several times, but Michael Crichton(Jurassic Park author) said once that TV people are among the dumbest he has ever dealt with.  When someone pointed him having a Ph. D. would make everyone seem dumb, he said, "you don't understand, I mean 2+2=5 dumb."  Have to admit, on the whole, the decision making over the years on most networks has proven him to be correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nikeblades00 said:

The problem is Damon Hack--not Shane Bacon.

From a playing perspective, Shane is much more qualified to host a show than Gary Williams or Matt Adams, who are pretty much the people he's replacing. The problem is that he should be paired with a former PGA Tour pro and he's stuck with Damon Hack, who brings absolutely nothing to the table.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

While the person I found has a +4, the rounds usually are on courses with a course rating over 74.0.  Scores ranged between 77 and 66. 

The guy can play if it is the same guy, but his entertainment value on the TV is minimal.

2 hours ago, jimbonecrusher said:

While the person I found has a +4, the rounds usually are on courses with a course rating over 74.0.  Scores ranged between 77 and 66. 

The guy can play if it is the same guy, but his entertainment value on the TV is minimal.

Pretty sure it is.  Didn't Bacon make sectional qualifying for the US Open a couple years ago?

I think it's time for the GolfWRX Golf Channel Host Auditions (GGCHA).

Get those audition videos going! 

The Golf Channel should have amateur guest hosts (AGH's - TV people like abbreviations like that) every other day from GolfWRX since they're obviously far more entertaining and more qualified. Zoom them in from everywhere.

"Today's AGH is Bubba Wilson from Wyoming. He doesn't have a handicap but says he can shoot 90 on a good day when he isn't too drunk. He's going to share his thoughts on how blaring heavy metal music from his cart has helped his game and how you should try it too. Hey Bubba, welcome!"

"Howdy, can y'all see me? Is this thing on? I ain't very good at this computer stuff. Heck, my VCR is still blinking 12:00..."

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Meanwhile I just learned that GC is doing a "Betcast" alternative broadcast on Peacock, with Orlando GC refugees Steve Burkowski, George Savaricas and Matt Ginella, all of whom I thought were left behind during the move north. That must really gall Lisa Cornwell given her past Twitter war with Ginella.

Edited by Greg_B

On 2/4/2021 at 10:30 PM, FOOTJOY16 said:

I posted this on the old morning drive thread after it ended.. after a month of the shows.. which are terrible.. I'll post this again..

Totally turned off to the new show.  I agree with most.. let's have some people that played for a living talking about golf.  Never been a Damon Hack fan. .and now he is even worse by trying to add his political views to everything (no surprise since NBC is calling the shots).. but the more I watch the more they are acting like a news channel and not a sports channel.. very disappointing to me...

I didn't watch MD and don't watch GT. As you know, Rory took the USGA and R&A to task regarding the distance issue. During Golf Central the other day, one talking head said that if Rory sat down with both organizations he would certainly change his mind and all in for a roll back. I mean, where do they find these guys? 

• Like 1

Charlie Rymer, RDD, Chris DiMarco, John Cook had all been on tour, and a few could be a little goofy, but they knew what they were talking about, and were entertaining. Gary Williams worked in pro shops, and Matt Adams owned courses, and worked in the equipment business, so they had experience at the grass roots level. To me, all that added up to a better Morning Drive vs Golf Today. Mabye it's due to the pandemic, but the overall content on the GC is way down.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 4

That new guy bacon? or something.. I don't watch much at all, but last week when I tuned in he dropped some mentions that points to GWRX posts.. most specifically, he mentioned something along the lines of "who's got the most clutch shortgame since Tiger.." and one of the posts regarding PReed..

IMO, he should give proper credits to this board...😄🖖🏼

• Like 1

Titleist....

You know, there's nothing that says you have to broadcast all day.  I'd rather watch the good old test pattern than pretty much any "regular programming" they have. 

Listening to Steve Sands as I write this.  Peter Allis he ain't....

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

Here’s one example of what wrong with golf channel now.  It’s Monday morning, 8am, the day after a great ending to the Phoenix Open.  I turn on TGC expecting to hear some commentary and analysis on the weekend, and hear some takes.   Nope, just another replay of yesterday’s round.... all morning.....  

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

Many here have commented on the fact that Damon Hack just isn't "TV worthy" and they're right.  He's a former NY Times and Sports Illustrated golf writer who somehow lucked into a on-air position at the late Morning Drive.  But let's face it....having skill at the written word in no way guarantees a successful transition to On-Air Personality.  Sorry, but Damon just doesn't have "it."  That somewhat intangible quality of personality, looks, voice, brains and wit that not only makes valid points but manages to be both likeable and entertaining.  Between the somewhat competent Shane Bacon and his desperately under-talented sidekick, the appropriately-named Hack, this show is little more than a time-filling throwaway.

As long as I'm trashing former writers, there's the sad case of Jaime Diaz, also formerly with Sports Illustrated before taking over at Golf World magazine as it was quickly disappearing into publishing quicksand.  Sadly, never has a transition from print to broadcasting been so feeble, so embarrassingly sad to watch. Diaz comes across on-air as a rank beginner who is scared out of his wits.  Every appearance seems like its his very first; uncertain, halting and laced with uncomfortable stumbles.  And this from the man who was once so trusted that for years he was the sole invitee to Tiger Woods' annual year-in-review each December.  That is, until he teamed with Hank Haney to write "The Big Miss."  Now persona non grata, you can take it to the bank that Tiger and Jaime haven't spoken one word since.   A sorry unraveling to a once admirable career.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

OK, you need to fill in for the rest of us who didn't catch it.  Who are you referring to?

I posted the first time I saw it, which seems to be after the fact. Don't change my first reaction. What do they put in those vegemite sandwiches????

Edited by junkfry