Tiger update - another surgery

10 hours ago, A.Princey said:

Here we go again, with the prognosticators, therapists and keyboard docs...crabs reaching at the top of the barrel, if only to pull him back down again. Ridiculous talk if I've ever heard any. Saying that he should be done is basic admission that you'd LIKE him to be done, and is nothing sincere from a well-wisher's perspective... 

I disagree.  

1.  I'm not a T-Dizzle hater 
  2. I'll be sad whenever Tiger hangs it up 

For me I'm just getting to the point where I don't want Tiger to cripple his quality of life from here on out.  Dubs is what?  42?  That means he's only on hole 8 or 9 in the game of life.  There's a long way to go and I don't want to see Tiger walking with a cane when he's 50

• Like 3

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Backs usually don't improve with age.  I'm living proof.

TW is one tough sob playing with that.    

"Welcome part-time, online course accredited WRX doctors!"   -- says the full-time Phil Mickelson journalist.  

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, ebrasmus21 said:

I disagree.  

For me I'm just getting to the point where I don't want Tiger to cripple his quality of life from here on out.  Dubs is what?  42?  That means he's only on hole 8 or 9 in the game of life.  There's a long way to go and I don't want to see Tiger walking with a cane when he's 50

Precisely.  Also if someone has ever experienced "nerve pain" especially from a disc, they'd know that it can severely inhibit the quality of all aspects of your life.  A pain that is unrelenting to which there is little to no escape.

• Like 3

I will say this, no one knows anything more than what the statement says. I remember having lunch with our teaching pro who was fairly well known in the golf world, and I said I’m so excited for Tiger to be back. He wiped his mouth put down his fork and said that “Tigers done, he’ll never win again let alone compete” this was before he came back again 2017-2018ish? My point is it’s all speculation... no more no less. And for those that have had similar operations I’m gunna wager that his doctors might be better than yours... he may also have access to better rehab and treatments, not saying there’s a wonder drug he’s taking but that’s how the world works sometimes. So I guess what I’m saying is let’s just wait see how things go, and when/if he comes back just let him play. Everyone wants to be first regardless of being right and it sucks!

• Like 2
17 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

It looks Tiger will have to catch lightning in a bottle to win again. And catch 2 ⚡️ bolts to win a major.

The only way he got honed enough to win the Masters was to push himself insanely forward that year and a half, ignoring all the pain, and play and practice enough to get as good or better than all the young wolves out there practicing and playing and gunning hard for the same wins.

He did it because his drive and desire pushed him to do what should not have been possible to do.

But now that he did it, I doubt he takes the same risks or pushes his pain/exhaustion threshold like that again. 

If by some miracle, his back gives him a solid year of comfort and relatively pain free play, he can practice and play enough to get his game in shape to win for sure. 

But otherwise, I imagine limited practice and playing time, difficulty getting momentum going, and having to rely on just playing his best at just the right time.

It could happen. Who knows?

Jack did it after all ; )

I agree with everything here except the Jack comment. Jack was not recovering from his 4th back surgery. He was just motivated to win one more time after basically moving on from golf as a career. Jack was in some financial trouble because of some bad investments and the win revived his course design business as much as anything.  

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

The mere fact that Notah said that Tiger was already hitting some balls yesterday when he talked to him, tells us that he's not done yet.  Whether he can win again is up to good fortune and a little help from the putter.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

26 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

I agree with everything here except the Jack comment. Jack was not recovering from his 4th back surgery. He was just motivated to win one more time after basically moving on from golf as a career. Jack was in some financial trouble because of some bad investments and the win revived his course design business as much as anything.  

Yes, by 1986, Jack was playing much less (but still about 15 events a year). His game was completely substandard for him and he had won only once in the past 3 seasons. 

Then, totally out of the blue, he wins the Masters.

It wasn’t like TWs last Masters win where TW had been playing well, moving up fast in the OWGR, and won just a few months earlier. 

That’s more so the analogy I was making. That just as Jack was playing limited schedule and not getting any momentum going, if TWs health can’t allow him to focus on practicing and playing much, his only shot is for the stars to line up and it all just happen to come together at the right time. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

I'm surprised Notah's own back hasn't blown out by now given how much water he's been carrying for Tiger for lo these many years. 😉

At least Tiger trusts him to eke out some information beyond the official posts.  It's not much, but better him than Steiny.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Yes, by 1986, Jack was playing much less (but still about 15 events a year). His game was completely substandard for him and he had won only once in the past 3 seasons. 

Then, totally out of the blue, he wins the Masters.

It wasn’t like TWs last Masters win where TW had been playing well, moving up fast in the OWGR, and won just a few months earlier. 

That’s more so the analogy I was making. That just as Jack was playing limited schedule and not getting any momentum going, if TWs health can’t allow him to focus on practicing and playing much, his only shot is for the stars to line up and it all just happen to come together at the right time. 

Gottcha. 

If Tiger is going to compete again it seems he’s going to have to rely on past experiences more than hard work. Unlike Tiger, Jack pretty much had the same swing fundamentals his entire career, it all clicked that one week. I mean sure I could see Tiger clicking for one week at Augusta or St. Andrews for example. 

time will tell....

• Like 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

I wish Tiger a speedy recovery and a safe return to training and competition. Not that he needs my wishes at all.

He probably had the best surgeon ever perform the operation. He has unlimited money to try the latest and greatest available recovery techniques, released to the general public or still under development, covered by insurance or not. He will have a recovery team waiting on him 24/7, could sleep in a hyperbaric chamber every night, have water from the polar cap glaciers delivered to him by helicopter every morning if it would contribute to a better/faster/longer lasting recovery. He will recover better than anyone else ever has who had the same condition, and probably better than anyone else with the same condition in the next decade.

When he is cleared by the lab coats, he will work harder than anyone because that is what he does. He has the mentality, desire, talent, work ethic, and access to the best equipment/courses/trainers/etc. to have a legitimate shot at any tour event, especially majors. If he wants it, he will go for it.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

Gottcha. 

If Tiger is going to compete again it seems he’s going to have to rely on past experiences more than hard work. Unlike Tiger, Jack pretty much had the same swing fundamentals his entire career, it all clicked that one week. I mean sure I could see Tiger clicking for one week at Augusta or St. Andrews for example. 

time will tell....

Yup, and the courses and other players won’t be getting any shorter. But he will. 

Be a miracle but....maybe...

One tiiiiiiiime!!

6 hours ago, ebrasmus21 said:

I disagree.  

He's 45

also lol @ Michael Schumacher returning to F1. The guy hasn't been seen in public in like eight years. 

The fact he's hitting balls now makes this whole re-hash documentary and "back-surgery" fall in-line much too coincidentally. I sure wouldn't mind skipping a few events after being dragged through the mud....

"Hmmmm, maybe chalk it up to another back pain, or better yet, micro-surgery. Yeah, that'll smooth it over 'til the Masters and resurrect my image a little in the time being. Torrey, Players, API??? Eh, 19 is the number and those won't get to me that...."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

1 hour ago, A.Princey said:

The fact he's hitting balls now makes this whole re-hash documentary and "back-surgery" fall in-line much too coincidentally. I sure wouldn't mind skipping a few events after being dragged through the mud....

"Hmmmm, maybe chalk it up to another back pain, or better yet, micro-surgery. Yeah, that'll smooth it over 'til the Masters and resurrect my image a little in the time being. Torrey, Players, API??? Eh, 19 is the number and those won't get to me that...."

A.P like ; )

A7F393B7-3D54-4086-B943-7292C0DC2056.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, A.Princey said:

Admittedly thinking the same thing myself. I don't doubt he needed the surgery, but a few sympathy points to boot couldn't hurt at this point.

51 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

As a physician I have a hard time believing he is hitting full swings less than a month after a microdiscectomy.  Chipping, half wedges maybe. 

But I’ve been wrong in my career before. More than once or twice unfortunately. 

Yeah but, doc, TW won US Open

With a broken leg!

Hey doc, you think it’s possible that Tiger has an extra vertebrae?

5 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

As a physician I have a hard time believing he is hitting full swings less than a month after a microdiscectomy.  Chipping, half wedges maybe. 

As someone who had the same procedure, twice, I too find it hard to believe he is hitting full shots. And if he is, he is headed down a path to a 6th surgery. 

even at that, if he is just chipping and putting this closely removed from surgery, he is going to be practicing a very handsy yippy chipping motion. 

Edited by bigred90gt
2 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Friend of a friend had his appendix "accidentally" removed.  Come to find out he had been on the SLIMFAST powder diet and had developed a blockage unrelated to the appendix.  He wasn't getting enough water.  Three weeks after recovering "they" told him, the appendix was for lack of better term, "defective" and that he didn't need an appendix to live.    

My answer to that - the appendix is in there for a reason. 

How can something"non-essential" be "defective?" 

As someone who had this surgery once, it completely blows my mind what he is trying to do.  Keep in mind a SUCCESSFUL microdiscectomy procedure only fixes about 50% of back pain and 90% of nerve pain radiating down a leg.  And range of motion is obviously affected every time you have a procedure.  For those who have never been down this road, Tiger is living with some serious day to day pain without trying to play golf.

• Like 1