Rules that ever kids needs to know and watch out for.

We played a lot tournaments so sometimes things are obvious  It would be good to have a thread on things that you see like this and how to address them.  No one wants to spend a weekend with kids and parents arguing.  When you see things like this there really is a right way of dealing with it and wrong way. 

I came up with a list of things I seen over and over again.  Most of the kids doing these things probably don't even know they're breaking any rules.

The kid who presses his club behind the ball and basically fluffs the lie.  

I think a lot kids get in a Bad habit and in some cases just don't know this is basically cheating. It's hard to catch but some kids don't have a clue. Others do it on purpose.  You will see this on pretty much on any given weekend.   Move up on higher tournaments your going to get caught and they are not going to be able to hit lies they need to learn.

Tapping down spike marks

Since 2019 you can repair the green the question is how much is too much.  So it is often overlooked which is why you need to be vigilant.  Some kids will basically repair so many imperfections they are improving there line when they putt which is certainly not ok under the rules.  Lots of kids are innocent and maybe even seen a cheater pat down their line of putt and make putts and with the rule change do it as well.  

Dropping a in wrong place of hazard

It is important to know where your ball entered. When in doubt call a rules official.  You need to drop it where it entered into the penalty area not beside where it landed.

Patrick Reed sand Bunkers

Needless to say this isn't legal no touching with the club during your practice swing.

Ball Marks on the green

Make sure you mark your ball the same way every time. No in front and in the back.  Some kids will move the marker a lot.  A lot kids rush to the green which I think is good but you don't want to make a habit of being on a green and marking your balls without your playing partners being able to see you in clear site especially if your have a good shot.  I have not seen it but the rumor is some kids will move there marker way closer to hole that does that. 

Lost Balls 

Everyone has heard of the lost ball to suddenly turn up with a perfect lie.  My kids have played hundreds of tournaments I can only recall maybe 2 times I seen what I thought was a dropped ball. Both times they happened so quick it was hard to say anything.  But I also seen far more kids and parents blamed that didn't.  Word of advice if your looking for a ball try to scan 10-15 feet ahead.  The best lost balls are found from a distance.  Never walk up to a ball the two times I almost certain I seen a dad rush up to the side of the fairway turn a cart away and then suddenly a ball appeared when there was none.  

I am sure there a lot more than this list.  Like I said I don't think most kids are doing these things intentional. I always have found a warning is more than enough to correct problems. Over the years though unfortunately there are few out there that don't care and will try and cause you problems and kind of a pain to deal with.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

We played a lot tournaments so sometimes things are obvious  It would be good to have a thread on things that you see like this and how to address them.  No one wants to spend a weekend with kids and parents arguing.  When you see things like this there really is a right way of dealing with it and wrong way. 

I came up with a list of things I seen over and over again.  Most of the kids doing these things probably don't even know they're breaking any rules.

The kid who presses his club behind the ball and basically fluffs the lie.  

I think a lot kids get in a Bad habit and in some cases just don't know this is basically cheating. It's hard to catch but some kids don't have a clue. Others do it on purpose.  You will see this on pretty much on any given weekend.   Move up on higher tournaments your going to get caught and they are not going to be able to hit lies they need to learn.

Tapping down spike marks

Since 2019 you can repair the green the question is how much is too much.  So it is often overlooked which is why you need to be vigilant.  Some kids will basically repair so many imperfections they are improving there line when they putt which is certainly not ok under the rules.  Lots of kids are innocent and maybe even seen a cheater pat down their line of putt and make putts and with the rule change do it as well.  

Dropping a in wrong place of hazard

It is important to know where your ball entered. When in doubt call a rules official.  You need to drop it where it entered into the penalty area not beside where it landed.

Patrick Reed sand Bunkers

Needless to say this isn't legal no touching with the club during your practice swing.

Ball Marks on the green

Make sure you mark your ball the same way every time. No in front and in the back.  Some kids will move the marker a lot.  A lot kids rush to the green which I think is good but you don't want to make a habit of being on a green and marking your balls without your playing partners being able to see you in clear site especially if your have a good shot.  I have not seen it but the rumor is some kids will move there marker way closer to hole that does that. 

Lost Balls 

Everyone has heard of the lost ball to suddenly turn up with a perfect lie.  My kids have played hundreds of tournaments I can only recall maybe 2 times I seen what I thought was a dropped ball. Both times they happened so quick it was hard to say anything.  But I also seen far more kids and parents blamed that didn't.  Word of advice if your looking for a ball try to scan 10-15 feet ahead.  The best lost balls are found from a distance.  Never walk up to a ball the two times I almost certain I seen a dad rush up to the side of the fairway turn a cart away and then suddenly a ball appeared when there was none.  

I am sure there a lot more than this list.  Like I said I don't think most kids are doing these things intentional. I always have found a warning is more than enough to correct problems. Over the years though unfortunately there are few out there that don't care and will try and cause you problems and kind of a pain to deal with.  

Issue 1:  You should have something else to worry about.  

Issue 2:  I couldn't care less how many spike marks someone taps down as long as pace of play is good.

Issue 3:  This is for the players in the group to worry about.  An official can't tell someone where to drop.  At the end of the day the other players in the group can't either.  It is the players responsibility to know where it crossed and the other players are there to help.  If player A sees one thing, player B another, and player C yet another it is on the Players eyes to determine where he/she drops.

Issue 4:  Grounding the club in a hazard.Gone, too, is the penalty for grounding your club or removing loose impediments in a hazard. Whether you're facing a shot from the dry bank of a lake or trying to hit it back into play from the edge of the water, you can ground your club just like you would in the middle of the fairway.

Issue 5:  I couldn't care less about this as long as it isn't 6" away.

Issue 6:  I have seen this.

At the end of the day I can only control my kid.  I couldn't care less what the other kids are doing unless it is blatantly shaving strokes.  Only thing I am concerned about is my kid getting better.  I suggest that same philosophy for other parents.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

How about worry about what your child is doing and let the tournament director and rules officials worry about what others are doing? If something is egregious, let your child address it with the group and if needed the tournament director and move on. You can't let what others are doing dictate your game and tournaments. Most of what you are saying is either wrong or a personal gripe. Who gives a crap if a kid fixes issues on the green as long as they are playing ready golf and not slowing up the game? The lost ball/phantom ball thing sucks but guess what you can't be out there acting like a Wild West Sheriff. Play the game and move on.  

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess some people on here don't care if other fluff there lies or trench there putts.  Come on all the stuff I talked about is not legal in golf.  First off you don't want to get a penalty for not a good reason.

Tournaments do and should penalize people if not there not a very good tournament.

If you think this stuff is okay then it obvious you cheat.

I suppose this is the daily tiger1873 "b*tch and moan about kids other than his/her own cheating" thread.

In all seriousness, you spend more time complaining to internet strangers than you should be spending addressing the problems...either directly with your kid and/or their playing partners.

Address the problems and stop b*tching about them.

Teach your kid to tactfully address a rules violation so they can have the wherewithal to address an issue without you.

It seems like you don't get along with several of these families anyway, so, get on with it...be an adult...and address the issue.

Complaining daily, here, does absolutely nothing.  It's a passive way to skirt around the issues at hand.  Some would say it's chicken-sh** to constantly call it out here, and have it still happen on the regular.  Address the issue.

This should be a teaching and learning moment for you and your kid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tiger1873 said:

I guess some people on here don't care if other fluff there lies or trench there putts.  Come on all the stuff I talked about is not legal in golf.  First off you don't want to get a penalty for not a good reason.

Tournaments do and should penalize people if not there not a very good tournament.

If you think this stuff is okay then it obvious you cheat.

Those things are on the other players, not the spectators/parents.  I honestly don't pay attention to what the other players are doing and simply don't care.  I only care about what my kid does on the course and planning/preparing for them to get better.

1 minute ago, heavy_hitter said:

Those things are on the other players, not the spectators/parents.  I honestly don't pay attention to what the other players are doing and simply don't care.  I only care about what my kid does on the course and planning/preparing for them to get better.

I never said I should be watching this what kids need to be paying attention to and make sure they are not getting cheated. 

3 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I never said I should be watching this what kids need to be paying attention to and make sure they are not getting cheated. 

Teach your kid to worry about the things she can control and that's it. You know how long I talk to my son about rules in a given year? A 10 minute reminder at the beginning of the year before his first tournament or a refresher if HE does something wrong. I am sure every time your sports teams lose its because of the officials as well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

99.9% of the kids are not cheating.  Not being aware or breaking rules is also not cheating unless it is intentionally done.  

Just now, BloctonGolf11 said:

Teach your kid to worry about the things she can control and that's it. You know how long I talk to my son about rules in a given year? A 10 minute reminder at the beginning of the year before his first tournament or a refresher if HE does something wrong. I am sure every time your sports teams lose its because of the officials as well. 

Kids who do this don't get better. Don't believe me have your kid go to the rough and hit a ball with a bad lie. Then hit the same ball with a fluffed lie. Guess what the fluffed lie looks great. The truth is they use that as an excuse to not get better.

Play higher up and better run tournaments and kids and officials don't allow things like this. 

• Like 1

Kids who do this don't get better. Don't believe me have your kid go to the rough and hit a ball with a bad lie. Then hit the same ball with a fluffed lie. Guess what the fluffed lie looks great. The truth is they use that as an excuse to not get better.

Play higher up and better run tournaments and kids and officials don't allow things like this. 

Then let those kids not get better, what does that matter to you? Why are you so focused on what THEY are doing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

You should put the energy to what your kid is doing, not the other kids.  Why do you care if they are getting better or not?    

I have watched years and years of Junior Golf.  I have NEVER seen someone fluff their lie in a Junior Tournament.  We are talking watching my daughter for 5 years of HS and Tournament golf.  Watching my son another 8 years and have never seen it.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

To me there is only one thing that should be worried about.  That is making sure that each kid counts their strokes correctly. 

Ever play a saturday money game???  I seen guys run off the course kicked out clubs for fluffing lies. Common hustler technique. Same thing with pretending to fix the green and improve your putting line.

Not everything is counting strokes.

If you haven't seen  kid take a club lean up to the ball and put pressure on his club a few times right behind the ball in a the rough then you have not being watching very close.    some kids only do it in the rough. Is it something you call out and complain in a lot cases not much you can say.  I do take note though because those great shots those kids are doing from bad lies is not real and I can't compare them to a other kids

Some tournaments are not worth your time and full of BS. Other are just fine I only care because it how you gauge a tournament and if it's even worth playing.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Ever play a saturday money game???  I seen guys run off the course kicked out clubs for fluffing lies. Common hustler technique. Same thing with pretending to fix the green and improve your putting line.

Not everything is counting strokes.

If you haven't seen  kid take a club lean up to the ball and put pressure on his club a few times right behind the ball in a the rough then you have not being watching very close.    some kids only do it in the rough. Is it something you call out and complain in a lot cases not much you can say.  I do take note though because those great shots those kids are doing from bad lies is not real and I can't compare them to a other kids

Some tournaments are not worth your time and full of BS. Other are just fine I only care because it how you gauge a tournament and if it's even worth playing.

You are worried about the wrong things.  

I don't care about a Saturday morning money game.  That and a Junior Golf Tournament are a night and day difference.

It has nothing to do with the Tour or the Rules officials.  There has never been a tour where I have said "I won't play that one again."  

You should be walking away from a tournament looking at what YOUR kid needs to work on to improve.  It has nothing to do with how the tour is run or rampant cheating that doesn't exist. 

Tiger...Part of the reason these rules threads get under my skin is b/c what others are doing have zero/zilch/nada/nothing to do with how you or your kid plays.

If you (me) or my kid has a crappy day...assess the round...and ask the hard questions.  What am I doing differently?  What am I not doing?  Am I putting in the work?  What could I be doing?  Is there someone out there in the competition field putting in the work to be the best they can be? (the answer is always yes).

I'll give you an example.  My kid played last Saturday and clanked hole #1 tee shot OB.  Took a triple on the hole.  He lost the Tournament on the first shot.  After the round I asked him all of the questions above.  Putting in the work?  Nope.  What is he not doing?  Practicing.  Is someone else putting in the work?  Absolutely.

So...you can't expect to just show up and win.  Sort of a life lesson for all of us.  The bottom line is that the other 2 kids in his group had ZERO to do with him clanking the 1st shot on the 1st hole.  Nothing.  Everything was on him. 

Same applies to your kid.  Stop making bullsh*t weekly rules excuses as to why your kid is somehow getting cheated...ask the questions...and get better.  There's really nobody to blame.  Either they've put in the time or they haven't.  It's binary...and it applies to everything we do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

What's the limit in the ROG for number of spike marks you can repair?

Here is the rule since a lot people have never read it. Notice this part

But if the player improves the putting green by taking actions that exceed what is reasonable to restore the putting green to its original condition (such as by creating a pathway to the hole or by using an object that is not allowed), the player gets the general penalty for breach of Rule 8.1a.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rule-13.html

c. Improvements Allowed on Putting Green

During a round and while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, a player may take these two actions on the putting green, no matter whether the ball is on or off the putting green:

(1) Removal of Sand and Loose Soil. Sand and loose soil on the putting green (but not anywhere else on the course) may be removed without penalty.

(2) Repair of Damage. A player may repair damage on the putting green without penalty by taking reasonable actions to restore the putting green as nearly as possible to its original condition, but only:

• By using his or her hand, foot or other part of the body or a normal ball-mark repair tool, tee, club or similar item of normal equipment, and

• Without unreasonably delaying play (see Rule 5.6a).

But if the player improves the putting green by taking actions that exceed what is reasonable to restore the putting green to its original condition (such as by creating a pathway to the hole or by using an object that is not allowed), the player gets the general penalty for breach of Rule 8.1a.

“Damage on the putting green ” means any damage caused by a person or outside influence, such as:

• Ball marks, shoe damage (such as spike marks) and scrapes or indentations caused by equipment or a flagstick,

• Old hole plugs, turf plugs, seams of cut turf and scrapes or indentations from maintenance tools or vehicles,

• Animal tracks or hoof indentations, and

• Embedded objects (such as a stone, acorn or tee).

441_1.0.svg

But “damage on the putting green ” does not include any damage or conditions that result from:

• Normal practices for maintaining the overall condition of the putting green (such as aeration holes and grooves from vertical mowing),

• Irrigation or rain or other natural forces,

• Natural surface imperfections (such as weeds or areas of bare, diseased or uneven growth), or

• Natural wear of the hole.

12 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Here is the rule since a lot people have never read it. Notice this part

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rule-13.html

c. Improvements Allowed on Putting Green

During a round and while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, a player may take these two actions on the putting green, no matter whether the ball is on or off the putting green:

(1) Removal of Sand and Loose Soil. Sand and loose soil on the putting green (but not anywhere else on the course) may be removed without penalty.

(2) Repair of Damage. A player may repair damage on the putting green without penalty by taking reasonable actions to restore the putting green as nearly as possible to its original condition, but only:

• By using his or her hand, foot or other part of the body or a normal ball-mark repair tool, tee, club or similar item of normal equipment, and

• Without unreasonably delaying play (see Rule 5.6a).

“Damage on the putting green ” means any damage caused by a person or outside influence, such as:

• Ball marks, shoe damage (such as spike marks) and scrapes or indentations caused by equipment or a flagstick,

• Old hole plugs, turf plugs, seams of cut turf and scrapes or indentations from maintenance tools or vehicles,

• Animal tracks or hoof indentations, and

• Embedded objects (such as a stone, acorn or tee).

441_1.0.svg

But “damage on the putting green ” does not include any damage or conditions that result from:

• Normal practices for maintaining the overall condition of the putting green (such as aeration holes and grooves from vertical mowing),

• Irrigation or rain or other natural forces,

• Natural surface imperfections (such as weeds or areas of bare, diseased or uneven growth), or

• Natural wear of the hole.

I have NEVER seen someone do this in my 13 combined years of watching my son and daughter play high level junior tournament golf.  Not saying it doesn't happen, but it has never effected my kids winning or losing a tournament.  It also has no effect on them and whether they can shoot under a two day total of 150.  It has never made them shoot an 85 and has never stopped them from shooting a 70.

Edited by heavy_hitter

This is not a rules thread Tiger. This is you looking for support for excuses and conspiracy theories as to why you are not getting the results you want. You are trying to bring up hustlers on a Saturday morning in conjunction with juniors at a golf tournament. Get a grip, stop putting your focus on isolated incidents of other kids that has zero to do with your child and focus on your kid. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, heavy_hitter said:

I have NEVER seen someone do this in my 13 combined years of watching my son and daughter play high level junior tournament golf.  Not saying it doesn't happen, but it has never effected my kids winning or losing a tournament.  It also has no effect on them and whether they can shoot under a two day total of 150.  It has never made them shoot an 85 and has never stopped them from shooting a 70.

You used to never see this until this year or at least I never noticed. But I noticed that some kids repair what I call a lot on the green tend to making putts.  This is from observance and I was thinking maybe my daughter was not repairing her line like she should.

She reminded me of this rule. I told her not to worry but also started to watch playing partners more and sure enough you see them repair and tap down down a strait line and see the putts roll in.

Did an experiment during a practice session and sure enough if you repair the green every foot  on your line you will almost certainly make more putts.

Looking at the rules there is a grey area here.  You should be repairing your line but it also not legal to repair too much. 

• Sad 1

Just now, tiger1873 said:

You used to never see this until this year or at least I never noticed. But I noticed that some kids repair what I call a lot on the green tend to making putts.  This is from observance and I was thinking maybe my daughter was not repairing her line like she should.

She reminded me of this rule. I told her not to worry but also started to watch playing partners more and sure enough you see them repair and tap down down a strait line and see the putts roll in.

Did an experiment during a practice session and sure enough if you repair the green every foot  on your line you will almost certainly make more putts.

Looking at the rules there is a grey area here.  You should be repairing your line but it also not legal to repair too much. 

Ever think that maybe the kids repairing more are more methodical with their putting and spend more time analyzing the putt? Ever think that maybe its not some crazy conspiracy theory? Ever think that your anecdotal evidence is equal to absolutely nothing and draining a lot of putts when you are looking for confirmation bias is complete and utter crap? Draining a putt on a practice green is shoddy evidence. 

• Like 1

Just now, BloctonGolf11 said:

Ever think that maybe the kids repairing more are more methodical with their putting and spend more time analyzing the putt? Ever think that maybe its not some crazy conspiracy theory? Ever think that your anecdotal evidence is equal to absolutely nothing and draining a lot of putts when you are looking for confirmation bias is complete and utter crap? Draining a putt on a practice green is shoddy evidence. 

I didn't say it was a practice green just a regular practice round on a normal course we play.  

So what your saying is okay to basically impress a line strait to the hole and that doesn't help putts go in???   There is a big difference between just repairing divots and spike marks vs basically creating a line for your ball to roll on.  

I didn't say it was a practice green just a regular practice round on a normal course we play.  

So what your saying is okay to basically impress a line strait to the hole and that doesn't help putts go in???   There is a big difference between just repairing divots and spike marks vs basically creating a line for your ball to roll on.  

It is not OK.  I also have never seen a kid do this, EVER!!  

I don't have these discussions with my kid either.  I feel it is making excuses.  The ultimate goal is to have solutions for your kid to improve their score.  Worrying about rules, pin placements, fluffing lies, green tunneling and these types of issues takes away from what they are supposed to do which is play good golf.  It is detrimental, in my opinion, to the mental game.  When the mindset is "Someone is always cheating" how does the junior grow and get better?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

No I am saying you are seeing what you want to see. For a kid to do that to produce the result you are saying would be so blatant and time consuming it would be ridiculous and obvious and I am telling you it is not happening. Your anecdotal "evidence" is nothing.  Look up confirmation bias, everything you are saying is a prime definition. You see what you want to see because you don't want to face facts Tiger. This all goes back to an obsession you have with other kids actions. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

Tiger as always full of excuses to why. Sometimes you have to work harder, sometimes the kid will never be any good no matter what. But you sure find a way to blame the course, the setup, the other players, the caddies, the equipment am I missing something? The only thing you don't take ownership of is you and your kid ability. If your not getting the results you look for its not other people cheating. and if they do oh well let them they get theirs eventually. Focus on what you can control not what you can't

• Like 2

I liked the title of this thread. I was hoping this would be a collection of experiences on things to watch out for regarding your own kid. 

For example, I wasn’t aware until last week that the player can’t put his/her palm on the putting green. We’ve played tournaments for 2 years and almost every time my kid marks his ball with his right hand, his left hand/palm is touching the green to balance himself. Now I see why most players stick their putter on the ground to balance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kcct82 said:

I liked the title of this thread. I was hoping this would be a collection of experiences on things to watch out for regarding your own kid. 

For example, I wasn’t aware until last week that the player can’t put his/her palm on the putting green. We’ve played tournaments for 2 years and almost every time my kid marks his ball with his right hand, his left hand/palm is touching the green to balance himself. Now I see why most players stick their putter on the ground to balance.

I was hoping for the same thing.  It's not about always calling people out but understanding the rules. 

Seeing this thread and responses make me cringe. It's actually what is is wrong and drives people away from golf.  A kid doesn't understand the rules but everyone thinks it is okay for them to keep doing what they are doing. 

If my kid did something that broke the rules she deserves a penalty or at least a warning.  I don't expect any different from any competitor. Doesn't matter if you know about them or not that is how things work in golf.

Those who say I am blaming other kids have no clue.  If you break the rules of golf you will fail at getting better and tricking yourself that you are better than you are.  The players that get better are honest about themselves and figure out how to score better.  

A lot people lie to themselves  both kids and adults. I see a ton people including kids who can't hit a fairway. Honest opinion if you seen their swing it is all over the place. They  hit the rough 80% of the time have horrible course management.  They complain that it all mental and can never hit the green or the correct shot.  Instead of fixing their swing they resort to quick fixes that slide by and look for cheap tricks to get an edge. 

Everyone has bad lies and it takes time to learn how to hit them.  The first sign a golfer is full of hot air is that every shot is perfect and they can hit it.

The short answer is that kid you think is great may not playing correctly so there never going to improve. Also the lower the tournaments are the less rules matter and you find out quickly that that kid could never play in other tournaments.  When you see rules been broken and no one cares it a sign that you are not playing the correct tournament anymore. 

Edited by tiger1873