2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Help me build a half set...

ajg223

Ok so I will preface this by saying my golf game has deteriorated as I have had kids and all that comes with it. It has reached a frustrating level, but I love the game too much to hate it as much as I have recently. If that makes any sense...

In an effort to bring back some joy and to focus a little less on score. I am thinking of playing this season with as close to a half set as I can. Will most likely be 8-9 clubs. I’m hoping this will alleviate some expectation and will make the game more “golf shots” as opposed to “golf swing”. 

So thinking about this I’ve come up with the following:

Driver

5 wood

23 deg hybrid

28 deg 

34-35 deg

40-41 deg

47-48 deg 

56 deg

this would leave roughly 20 yard gaps through the bag with the exception of the driver. 

My issue is choosing a manufacturer or even style of club to hit these numbers on lofts. National Custom is not a financial option and I’m not aware of any others of that vein. So my question is should I mix and match based on clubs that hit my lofts in their stock form (give or take a deg)? Or find a brand where all the clubs could have to be bent down or weak? Also, tempted to go to a more blade like head as hitting cuts to take something off, and rope draws to get a little extra will be necessary. 

if anyone has a suggestion or experience or just has an opinion I am open to it. Thank you for listening to me think out loud. 

Edited by ajg223
Grammar

Be a little careful about doing it all by lofts on the paper, real life gaps is what matters.
Today we often mix heads with solid head/face and "high COR" models, and ball speed is not the same from the same lofts then, so gaps want always be a flat line we can make by even loft gaps....

I suggest doing a bag like this based on WISHON components. They have a extra wgt port below the shaft tip, and woods/hybrids have both a hosel port and a extra sole port for wgt, so they are silly easy to adjust head weight right on so it fits the play lengths and MOI/SW targets we have.

I dont know anything about your preferences, but my own favorite Wishon model in Irons 565MC can fill those slots for irons.

28 deg  (#5 iron 2* weak or #6 2* strong)

34-35 deg (#7 iron std or 1* weak)

40-41 deg (#8 iron 2 weak or #9 1-2* strong)

47-48 deg (# PW 1-2* weak)

image.png.a37da583678b82170fccc5a4632be97b.png

https://wishongolf.com/designs/iron-sets/new-565mc-forged-irons/

Hybrids...
IF you want a Hybrid with 28* loft instead of a iron, it can be done using 775 HS hybrids
Wishon / Diamond Golf offers "hand picked heads" with TRUE LOFT and the same hosels can be adjusted like the head was a iron (special bending machine like Mitchell Signature)

23 deg hybrid ( H4 24* where face angle is set slightly open to make it 23*

28 deg Hybrid ( H5 27* set slightly closed to make it 28*)

image.png.b4b4b7a9e235d9cdba20d62439916c30.png

https://wishongolf.com/designs/hybrid-irons/775hs/

Woods 929 model
https://wishongolf.com/designs/fairway-woods/929hs/

Driver 919 Thi model
https://wishongolf.com/designs/designs-drivers/919thi/

Sand / Lob
https://wishongolf.com/designs/wedges/pcf-micro-pro-wedges/

Diamond Golf also offers TONS of shaft options, and they are a mega supplier of club making stuff in general.

• Like 3

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Really appreciate you taking the time to post this.  Gives me a lot to think about that I didn’t even consider.  How would you recommend doing the lengths? Start at 6 iron length then go incrementally until I get to PW length? Otherwise some will be 1/2 inch gaps and at least on full inch gap.  I am going to definitely consider those heads as well. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

You have TONS of options.

Play length 
Whats important is NOT going TOO SHORT in the short end of the set...what you do from the shortest full swing club, and the other direction is "all up to you"

The classic is 4/8" - 4.0* loft - 7 grams head wgt.
A "half set" made to classic specs would then be 1.0" - 8.0* - 14 grams

Many have discovered that we can improve our iron game if we shorten length progression to 3/8" and use MOI matching (progressive SW value), instead of the classic flat SW value. We can modify a classic set from 4/8" to 3/8" and use 0.5 SWP progression to get as close as possible to a real MOI match

For a half set, that give 6/8" between clubs -. 8.0* loft and about 15-16 grams ( a little more than standard 7 grams pr club head or 14 in a half set, so its easy to get head weight right, if we pick heads like #3 #5 #7 #9 - PW, they will have about 14 grams difference as a start. (reconsider your lofts to be like "standard" using those heads as starting point, then tweak after real life testing)

You can INCLUDE the hybrids to that slope of 6/8" and use the same head wgt progression, AND shaft, so Hybrids and Irons become a "combo set" with the same shaft and actual resistance.

This make it very easy to play, and the longer the club, the higher is this benefit.

This DIY set ups is meant to be used for those who wants to modify a existing iron set, but it tells you what options we got as DIY as options to using the classic 4/8" between clubs, or 1.0" inch as half sets.

Pay attention to THE DIFFERENCE (see butt cut chart), for the actual # depending on what slope we use between clubs. ALL clubs here is using a "standard" #9 iron as stating point. IF you play "plus 0.5", we just add 0.5" to all numbers.

We can even get a tad below 5/16" between clubs if we use the metric system, so we can get a #3 iron thats 1 2/16" shorter than standard by using the 5/16" between club options, in your half set, equal to 10/16" between clubs.

The options seen her can all be made using standard components since max needed adjustment on head weight is within 10 grams, but WISHON heads can take about 18 grams added if needed since they have a extra weight port below the shaft tip.

image.png.6f5b1c8cb07af3d208928012f59450fa.png

Edited by Howard_Jones

My suggestion.
Drop the 5W, and replace it with a 18* Hybrid like this:

Driver 11*-13*
4W / 16.5*
H2 /18*
H4 /24*
H6 /31*
#8 IRON - 38* (1* strong vs slope of 8*,but its NOT s high COR iron, the hybrids is HIGH COR)
PW IRON  - 46 * here we are back on track with 8.0*
SW/LW - 56*
Putter

H2 to PW as "a combo set" with 6/8" between clubs and 1.0 SWP (15-16 grams head wgt progression)

Add 2-3 SWP for the SW/LOB, depending on shaft choice, the 56* can use the same shaft as irons and hybrids

For the wood and driver, a lighter shaft is needed, but this set up will most likely work as you planned for, and it will be easy to adjust head weights to make it all as it should.

You have to start with the #9 and ask, how shall that club be?
(or the #8 / PW in your case)

The others will "feel like" that club when we do it like i suggest here, and they will be way easier to play than a classic set, be it full or half.sets, so this takes the benefit of making it easier a little further.

What do you play now?

Edited by Howard_Jones

Wow. So much great stuff here that I hadn’t thought about. 

I currently play a set of callaway Apex with px lz 6.0 shafts. I don’t dislike them other than their inability to “create” shots. In the chase for distance and a deteriorating set of skills I assumed more forgiveness would mean better scores. I love them if I have a stock, full bore, yardage. They go high and straight. 

I am going to take your advise except I would prefer an iron to the 31 deg hybrid. If I replaced that with a high core iron what loft would I be looking at to keep the progression?

Multiple ways to approach: 

7 clubs: 

10* D

20* 7wd

30* hybrid 

40*-48*-56* 

Putter

9 Clubs

10* D

18.5* 5wd

26* hybrid

34*-40*-46*-52*-58*

Putter

2 things always come into play when I choose which clubs I carry- Par 3 yardage & forced carries

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

43 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

Multiple ways to approach: 

7 clubs: 

10* D

20* 7wd

30* hybrid 

40*-48*-56* 

Putter

9 Clubs

10* D

18.5* 5wd

26* hybrid

34*-40*-46*-52*-58*

Putter

2 things always come into play when I choose which clubs I carry- Par 3 yardage & forced carries

Yeah, I am thinking the 9 club bag is what I am going with.  Can I ask what irons you are using to hit your lofts?

13 hours ago, ajg223 said:

Ok so I will preface this by saying my golf game has deteriorated as I have had kids and all that comes with it. It has reached a frustrating level, but I love the game too much to hate it as much as I have recently. If that makes any sense...

In an effort to bring back some joy and to focus a little less on score. I am thinking of playing this season with as close to a half set as I can. Will most likely be 8-9 clubs. I’m hoping this will alleviate some expectation and will make the game more “golf shots” as opposed to “golf swing”. 

So thinking about this I’ve come up with the following:

Driver

5 wood

23 deg hybrid

28 deg 

34-35 deg

40-41 deg

47-48 deg 

56 deg

this would leave roughly 20 yard gaps through the bag with the exception of the driver. 

My issue is choosing a manufacturer or even style of club to hit these numbers on lofts. National Custom is not a financial option and I’m not aware of any others of that vein. So my question is should I mix and match based on clubs that hit my lofts in their stock form (give or take a deg)? Or find a brand where all the clubs could have to be bent down or weak? Also, tempted to go to a more blade like head as hitting cuts to take something off, and rope draws to get a little extra will be necessary. 

if anyone has a suggestion or experience or just has an opinion I am open to it. Thank you for listening to me think out loud. 

Using my Tommy Armor 845s irons I built a short set. By bending some clubs 1° weak or strong I have a set with 6° gaps. 

3h - 20°

5i - 26°

6i - 32°

8i - 38°

9i - 44°

gw - 50°

sw - 56°

Add a driver and a putter and that's 9 clubs. Depending on the course sometimes I add a fairway (usually 5w) as well.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

2 hours ago, ajg223 said:

Yeah, I am thinking the 9 club bag is what I am going with.  Can I ask what irons you are using to hit your lofts?

About 30 years worth of Ping irons- for the most part i3+ blades and i500

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Think of it more in terms of what "shots" do you want to hit.  Pure gaps are nice but not critical when hitting shots.  

Is a driver important?

Long fairway shots?

Controlled driving irons?  

Low shots into the wind?

High shots

Certain yardages that give you confidence

Shots around the green, bunkers, lobs, pitches, chips, what clubs help you score, maybe having an extra wedge is more important than a iron for example

Putting

shots from rough

Draws vs. fades

Of course gapping needs to be somewhat logical and meet a certain range of yardages, but if you leave a club at home that is vital to your scoring needs for the sake of having perfect gaps you wont score as well.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Just now, dlygrisse said:

Think of it more in terms of what "shots" do you want to hit.  Pure gaps are nice but not critical when hitting shots.  

Is a driver important? Maybe it's the most important club, maybe it's your weakness and carrying a dual purpose strong fairway wood would be better.  

Long fairway shots?

Controlled driving irons?  

Low shots into the wind?

High shots

Certain yardages that give you confidence

Shots around the green, bunkers, lobs, pitches, chips, what clubs help you score, maybe having an extra wedge is more important than a iron for example

Putting

shots from rough

Draws vs. fades

Of course gapping needs to be somewhat logical and meet a certain range of yardages, but if you leave a club at home that is vital to your scoring needs for the sake of having perfect gaps you wont score as well.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Everyone has provide great advice.  I am a Maltby fan and here is my minimalist bag.

9 Degree Driver-- Ping G410 or Cobra F-8+

16 Degree-- Cobra Baffler F-6   MONEY CLUB

22 Degree-  KE 4 Tour Hybrid

6 Irion-  TS-2-  27 degree

8 iron-   ''      34 Degree

PW-  ""          44 Degree

SW   ""          54 Degree   Maltby TSW 

Putter

Learning to hit half shots- choke down etc.. has helped my game.   I always lean to MORE club and it has really worked well.   Good for my back when carrying and my game as well.

Enjoy your build...

Along with Wishon products, Maltby/GolfWorks offer an option. Quality iron "half sets" can be hard to find.

image.png.e51d768589b8e58165ca5334cb4eec57.png

Have iron shaft length increments of 1 inch due to skipping every other club.

image.png.bf86c5ff2170dfa6020426594c9d3cf8.pngAdd in a SW and

you're good to go. 

For long clubs: Driver, FW and hybrid, look in the used club rack at you local golf shop. Big shops have a lot of demos from 2019 offerings out for public now.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

29 minutes ago, HitaHouse said:

I also went the route of buying individual irons - Hogan Edge Pro 6(30)/8(38)/E(46) - then added a Maltby Ke4 23 deg, a driver, 5W (17), Hogan SW (54), and putter.  Not very scientific but I've got clubs to cover a lot of situations.

I thought of this but does hogan do individual irons anymore?

Ok so I picked up callaway apex mb 7 and 9 iron heads that will be bent to 33 and 40 degrees I have a 27 deg 5 iron and a 46 deg wedge that I’ll bend to 47. Add in a 22 hybrid 5 wood, driver, and a 56 deg. I’m going to do the progressive swing weighting with 0.75 inch increments between clubs described by Howard. Thank you to everyone who offered their thoughts.