Jump to content

The biggest reasons ams don’t get better. Butch Harmon...


Recommended Posts

Monte,


This discussion really hits home considering the struggles I have experienced past 4 years.We live in an age where information is available at the push of a button. With golf there are millions of you tube videos on every aspect of the golf swing.  Once you look at a few google recognizes your a golfer and it starts suggesting other videos. Its the same for anything you search fitness, automobiles, etc etc.  It’s fascinating how they are able to control the content you see and ultimately your purchases.  My example is I had a lesson with you I was flexing my right knee in the BS You gave me 3-4 different feels to get more hip turn and load on my right side. If I remember correctly  you  stood down the line from me and had me turn my chest towards you and within 2 swings my motion  was better.  However instead of building on this I remember looking at another video on lack of hip turn then another and pretty soon my brain is cluttered with a whole bunch of swing thoughts and I get back to struggling with contact.  Some can look at different videos and incorporate information from multiple instructors but for me I think it’s a recipe for disease 

 

Just curious your experiences and any feedback. Below is Instagram you posted 
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Rm1yVlnDp/?igshid=1ut97oy2aw5s1

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I say this 20 times a day if I say it once.  Not close to linear.  All you can ask is for an upward trend over months and years.    The better the golfer, the bigger the time frame they measure

It’s not lack of flexibility, athleticism or skill in the vast majority of cases.     https://www.instagram.com/p/CKRsk8jlMyP/?igshid=lkobtkda2y7e

Discussions on the swing always devolve into someone saying they have seen people play good from position/movement X.  Then another party shows a current tour player and another from the 60’s and say,

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, glk said:

Which backswing swing looks more like this?
 

8AB947C4-10C5-416C-ADDF-012F537EFC86.jpeg.7d7a2fa30ffc580253e1bb584fc5a2ac.jpeg

I don't know if this is a trick question, or I really am missing something.  It looks like the after to me (picture on the right).  Lead arm covering trail shoulder, 90 degrees-ish trail elbow, hands high, not excessively dipped down.  Am I missing something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bonvivantva said:

I don't know if this is a trick question, or I really am missing something.  It looks like the after to me (picture on the right).  Lead arm covering trail shoulder, 90 degrees-ish trail elbow, hands high, not excessively dipped down.  Am I missing something?

Duh.   Your after is way, way better.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Enjoy every sandwich

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, milesgiles said:

 

 

Ive seen a lot of good golf played from the before swing.

 

none at all from the after swing..

 

Wow. Either you're off base or I am. The after swing is much better.

  • Like 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

  • Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - TTitleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YMark said:

 

Wow. Either you're off base or I am. The after swing is much better.

 

 

I may be off base. Just a statement of fact though, I can go to any county event and I’ll find you at least half a dozen players better than scratch with a backswing very similar to his ‘before’ position. The ‘after’ doesn’t look like anyone good I’ve ever played with, sorry 

current swing coached by wrxers..

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, must disagree with belief that 'practice makes perfect', or is a certain path to perfection.

 

Incorrect or non-functional practice reinforces wrong technique and a continual march along this direction will lead to a much harder time getting off of it. 

 

The more data points along a regression line result in a stronger correlation.  Keep doing the wrong thing, for years on end, and learn how difficult to change this habit.

 

Yes, doing the correct thing over and over will help and with that i agree.  Perfect practice will yield a good result.  But in all cases, 'practice makes preferred'.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, YMark said:

 

Wow. Either you're off base or I am. The after swing is much better.

You are not at all off base, the after is way better.  Miles is a troll who likes to post contradictory stuff just for the fun of it. Far more tour pros are similar in structure to that than the before. I would not listen to anyone who legitimately thinks the left side is better. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

You are not at all off base, the after is way better.  Miles is a troll who likes to post contradictory stuff just for the fun of it. Far more tour pros are similar in structure to that than the before. I would not listen to anyone who legitimately thinks the left side is better. 

 

Im not a troll, post a good player with the ‘after’ backswing 

  • Like 1

current swing coached by wrxers..

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jobin said:

Sorry, must disagree with belief that 'practice makes perfect', or is a certain path to perfection.

 

Incorrect or non-functional practice reinforces wrong technique and a continual march along this direction will lead to a much harder time getting off of it. 

 

The more data points along a regression line result in a stronger correlation.  Keep doing the wrong thing, for years on end, and learn how difficult to change this habit.

 

Yes, doing the correct thing over and over will help and with that i agree.  Perfect practice will yield a good result.  But in all cases, 'practice makes preferred'.  

That's another good point.  I more or less balked at the idea of being lost for 4-6 weeks, but in reality, it's possible to spend that time either reinforcing existing bad habits, or learning new ones...

 

21 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

I believe the biggest deterrent to improvement is having the access to facilities. If you aren’t a member of a country club, don’t live on a golf course, or aren’t a junior golfer HS and below, it’s VERY difficult to get better. 

Tell me about it.  I saw some middle school, or maybe early high school kids on the range one time (pre covid), and I don't know if I've ever been so jealous.  Not only did they have great swings, a coach kept walking up and down the row giving them advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

I believe the biggest deterrent to improvement is having the access to facilities. If you aren’t a member of a country club, don’t live on a golf course, or aren’t a junior golfer HS and below, it’s VERY difficult to get better. 

Having that access doesn't mean anything if you aren't working on the right things. We all have flaws that inherently limit our potential to score, playing a lot just means you find that limit a bit faster, but if you want to break through and lower that limit it's more than just reps. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking for this quote from Geoff Jones (Slicefixer) when I posted earlier in the thread.

 

A lesson a week is GROSS overkill.......UNLESS your working on long game one
week.....pitching/chipping another.......then putting.....then back to the long game,
etc.
This is a lil' pearl of wisdom that Chuck Hogan (author of Rethinking Golf) taught me during my playing days in
regards to ingraining a change.....
- 60 reps per day
- EVERY rep has a specific intention
- EVERY rep has your FULL attention
- For 21 days........
So, on the average, it will take you THREE WEEKS to ingrain even the simplest
things involving the golf swing......PATIENCE is the single greatest attribute you can
possess IF you REALLY want to be a good player.......both in building your golf
swing and in actually playing the game.....

  • Like 3

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 21* 7WD                    Fujikura Ventus Red 9X
MIURA CB57 5-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tournament Blade 8-P      MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Krt22 said:

You are not at all off base, the after is way better.  Miles is a troll who likes to post contradictory stuff just for the fun of it. Far more tour pros are similar in structure to that than the before. I would not listen to anyone who legitimately thinks the left side is better. 

I don't know Miles and am not taking up for him, just expounding on my prior post where I said that I went in with more of the swing in the "after" pic and the teaching pro worked to get me more like the "before" pic ......

 

The red flag came out in lesson #1 when Pro said that "all of the best players on tour" tuck their right elbows in tight to their sides as they take the club behind them on a flat plane.  I didn't know a lot, but I knew enough to know that was wrong and should have bailed.  But I had already paid for a series of lessons, so I decided to stick it out -- after all, what harm could there be?  Oh, boy.

 

Moral of the story redux:  Before you work long and hard at making a change (as Butch and Monte say needs to be done), be sure that the instructor knows what he is talking about.  IMO some of them simply don't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SPIF said:

 

https://www.pgatour.com/players.html  - Kuchar being the single exception.

 

I've always thought you were a troll.  Perhaps you just suffer from the Dunning-Krueger effect?

 

 

Yep and he's possibly the pound for pound, inch for inch shortest hitter on tour. He is on tour, thus has the skill to make it work despite getting into that position, not the other way around

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Yep and he's possibly the pound for pound, inch for inch shortest hitter on tour. He is on tour, thus has the skill to make it work despite getting into that position, not the other way around

Kuchar is not in op before position.  

Enjoy every sandwich

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, SouthLand said:

Welp.  Here’s the top of one of my backwswings recently, and my full swing game is a total mess at the moment.  Not definitive, of course, but I’d much rather have his ‘after’ swing than mine at the moment.

 

 

3C24DC99-AF5D-43D0-AFF8-FB5E909A37FC.jpeg

I'm not qualified to say if there is anything wrong with your swing, but it does look kind of like my before.  If you are trying to get more of my after look, the alignment rod behind you might be worth trying.  It's not fool-proof, but it may keep you from sucking the club inside (if you do).  I also think that because I often came over the top, I tried to get my hands/club as deep as possible.  That only exacerbated the problem.  The FEEL of the after swing to me, is that my hands and club are kind of out in front of me.  From pictures, I can see that they're not, but compared to being back super low and deep, it feels that way.  I wish I could help.  Your picture reminds me of my pre-lesson concept.  I was basically trying to get as far back and away from the ball as possible (away from 1st base) to swing to to first.  No matter how long I continued down that path I don't think I would have ever improved.  Good luck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, back to the OP’s point, I’d be really confident with these as the reasons I’m not getting better:

 

1) 4 young kids (all under 10) and a full time job
2) crappy sleep

3) Inconsistent, and insufficient, practice stemming from reason numero uno

 

I had consistent lessons over the winter of 19 and spring of 20.  I certainly improved in a number of areas (ball striking, distance, consistency) ultimately leading to my low round (88).  Quarantine pretty much killed my practice routine and ability to sneak in golf on the way home from work.  I’ve lost all that progress from the lessons, and their cost is somewhat prohibitive ‘cause CV19 has also put a decent crimp in the commission side of my income.

 

Those are *my* reasons for losing the feels and technique that lessons gave me.  It certainly wasn’t the instructor’s fault.  It wasn’t because I couldn’t handle something weird or different.  That bridge was successfully crossed in lesson 1 when he changed up my grip and lessons 2-6 when he got me swinging with a better AOA and path. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Discussions on the swing always devolve into someone saying they have seen people play good from position/movement X.  Then another party shows a current tour player and another from the 60’s and say, “It worked out pretty well for them.”  
 

These are straw man arguments and boorish.  There are people who smoke 2 packs a day and live to be 100.  Does that make it OK for all of us?

 

Individuals can make about anything work, but there are easier, more efficient ways to do it.  The original conversation is always golfer Y is struggling and position/movement X is the main root cause, not that position/movement X can’t work and is universally bad.

How dare you come in here and spew true facts!!!! 😂

$$$$

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SouthLand said:

Well, back to the OP’s point, I’d be really confident with these as the reasons I’m not getting better:

 

1) 4 young kids (all under 10) and a full time job
2) crappy sleep

3) Inconsistent, and insufficient, practice stemming from reason numero uno

 

I had consistent lessons over the winter of 19 and spring of 20.  I certainly improved in a number of areas (ball striking, distance, consistency) ultimately leading to my low round (88).  Quarantine pretty much killed my practice routine and ability to sneak in golf on the way home from work.  I’ve lost all that progress from the lessons, and their cost is somewhat prohibitive ‘cause CV19 has also put a decent crimp in the commission side of my income.

 

Those are *my* reasons for losing the feels and technique that lessons gave me.  It certainly wasn’t the instructor’s fault.  It wasn’t because I couldn’t handle something weird or different.  That bridge was successfully crossed in lesson 1 when he changed up my grip and lessons 2-6 when he got me swinging with a better AOA and path. 

Yea, that doesn’t help....lol.  In 2019 when I qualified for the US Senior Open, the month before I spent packing up my house and family as I had to move.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SPIF said:

 

https://www.pgatour.com/players.html  - Kuchar being the single exception.

 

I've always thought you were a troll.  Perhaps you just suffer from the Dunning-Krueger effect?

 

 

 

It was pretty simple, all you had to do was find one photo of one player at the top of the backswing..

 

I don't approve of derailing threads, I was answering someone else with my experience of playing with good amateurs and pro's. This chap is quite good, and one of the longest..

Jon-Rahm-356x220.jpg

  • Like 1

current swing coached by wrxers..

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, glk said:

I could post lots of pro’s in a similar position to the after but I think this post from Scott Hamilton says a lot more


7AABD85B-154D-4C76-B976-2A51DBFB2BE2.jpeg.96ea9c1b6dfa04bdda3cb1e0b41f0e4d.jpeg

 

 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHOHVuxgPBu/

Only my opinion, but I've not seen the amateur that can get the club on the ball from anything like that position. Enough of the derail, I won't comment again ITT

current swing coached by wrxers..

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 WGC Workday Championship @ The Concession Photos- Links & Discussion (UpDaTeD)
      Please post any questions or comments here.
       
      Links...
       
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #6
      Cameron Smith's Cameron 11.5 putter - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Cameron putter 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      2021 Ping putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Rory wearing new Nike Tour Victory II shoes - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
       
      • 65 replies
    • 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - discussion
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #1
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #2
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #4
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #7
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #9

      Ryan Moore with Axis 1 putter @ 2021 AT&T PB
       
       
       
      Please post any questions and comments here
      • 59 replies
    • 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Discussion
      General galleries
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #4
      Monday Qualifier for Waste Management Open 
      Special galleries
       
      Ping PLD putters - 2021 WMPO Scott Brown with MMT graphite shafts in his ProTo Concept irons - 2021 WMPO TaylorMade putter cover from 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open New Srixon golf balls - 2021 WMPO Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Piretti putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron mallets - 2021 WMPO Odyssey 2-ball Ten - 2021 WMPO  
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Jason Day's Bag...
        • Like
      • 21 replies
    • 2021 FARMERS WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the 2021 Farmers PGA Tour event. Please add you comments in this thread. Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Special galleries:
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #1
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #2
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #3
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #4
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #7
       
      Cameron putters - Farmers 2021
       
      Odyssey 2-ball Ten - Farmers 2021
       
      Project X Even Flow RipTide MX & LX proto shafts - Framers 2021
       
      TaylorMade putter cover for Torrey Pines - Farmers 2021
       
      Sling Shot training aid - Farmers 2021
       
       
      • 47 replies
    • 2021 American Express WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the American Express PGA event.
       
      Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 American Express
      PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters
      UST Maymiya LinQ shafts - American Express 2021
      Mitsubishi Kaili & MMT shafts - American Express 2021
      Titleist TSi 2 & TSi 3 hybrids - American Express 2021
      TaylorMade putter cover for Palm Springs/Palm Desert - American Express
      New Aldila Synergy, Ascent & prototype shafts - American Express 2021
      Callaway Apex Pro iron, Epic Driver and fairway, Apex iron & hybrid - American Express 2021
      New Perfect Practice training aids - American Express 2021
      New KBS prototype shafts - American Express 2021
       
        • Like
      • 18 replies

×
×
  • Create New...