2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Stumbling into irons that are the "wrong" specs, but can't miss a shot with them?

jmck

Sorry, this came out novel sized.  There's a tl'dr half way down.

I picked up a set of irons (raw MP-32s--woohoo!) strictly for the heads.  The shafts were unlabeled, unmarked--knew nothing about them besides from that they were stepless, chrome, "felt stiff," and cut noticeably short.  Curiosity got the better of me and before taking them apart I hit a few balls in the back yard.  Couldn't miss.  So threw them in the bag and took them to the course.  54 holes later and I pretty much haven't missed a shot with them, and I mean that literally, without exaggeration.

Again curiosity got the better of me and I took the grip off the 3i.  They're PX 6.5 taper tips.  I have absolutely no business playing PX in 6.5 flex, in theory.  If I was going to fit myself into a PX shaft, it'd be maybe 5.0 in the original PX, or maybe 5.5 in an LZ/Flighted/IO version.  Driver swing speed is 100-105, and I'm not a big loader of the shaft, bit of an early releaser of the club.  That said, I'm a 2 handicap, never practicing, playing maybe once or twice a week at the most.  When I was younger and playing 5 or 6 days a week and practicing too I got down to +2 at my best.  Not trying to brag, just trying to say that I'm a fairly consistent ballstriker.  I'm also very consistent with my miss.  I'll get a little rushed/sloppy in transition and my miss is more of a plane/path one.  Basically I can still center the ball up, but I come over the top a bit and--depending on how much my subconscious tries to save it with my hands--hit either a pull hook or a wipe fade.  Granted, small sample size, but these poorly fit clubs have made that miss completely disappear.  Hard to describe it, but my transition with them feels very very tight, right on time, and easily repeatable.

Besides from the stiffness of the shafts, there's also the weight.  I've been playing stuff in the ~110g range forever.  I played Dynamic Gold a bit when I was younger and got along fine with them, but always preferred the old Apex shafts, then moved onto Dynalite Gold XPs.  For the past 4 years I've been playing KBS Tour 105 stiffs (110g) and I have absolutely no complaints with them.  And then there's the club length.  I'm a pretty standard dude--5'11" with somewhat long arms.  OTR stuff generally fits me pretty well.  Maybe I'll go 1/4" or 1/2" long and a degree or so flat, depending on factory specs.  But again, I have no business playing clubs that are somewhere between -1/2" and -1" short.  I'm measuring the 32s as standard factory lies.  With the heavy shafts cut short they swingweight at C8-C9 and static weight is maybe a little on the high side but nothing drastic.  I build my clubs on a mild swingweight slope.  Aim for D1 in the longest iron and let them drift to D3 in the PW.  Again, been doing it that way for years without complaint. 

So, tl;dr, compared to what SHOULD fit me, these clubs are clearly too short, swingweight too light, with shafts that are too heavy and too stiff.  Yet I can't miss.  Trajectory is maybe a little lower than I'd like to see in the longer irons, but it's certainly livable for the dispersion I'm getting here.  Like here are five 8 irons in a row in my backyard this morning.  You could throw a towel over them.  I'm not that good normally, but I am not kidding when I say I have yet to miss with these poorly fit clubs.  And normally it's my iron game that's my weakness and I make up for it in driving and short game.  Like I feel like I could stand there all day with my gamer KBS 105/Srixon z745s and not get a grouping that good.  I also don't feel like I've lost any distance, at least not any that isn't explained by the more traditional lofts of the 32s compared my usual z745s.

spacer.png

I'm really not sure whether it makes more sense to compare the 32 6i with the z745 6i or 7i--7i seems like a better match--so here they both are as I've measured them:

MP-32 6i z745 6i z745 7i
loft 31* 28* 32*
length 37" 38" 37.5"
lie 61* 60.5* 61*
swing weight C8.5 D2.5 D3
static weight 432.5g 420g 429g
raw shaft weight 125g 110g 110g
grip weight 55g 50g 50g
balance point 28" 28.75" 28"

So I guess my questions are, one, WHY does this build eliminate a miss I've struggled with for 30+ years?  And two, WHAT should I do next?  I could soft step the shafts in the 32s which would bring swingweight, flex, and length a little bit more in line with what "should" fit me.  Or I could take a club apart and figure out its MOI and build a set to match but with standard length, lighter shafts.  I'm really at a loss here, as I thought I had a pretty good grasp on what fit me--perhaps I've been totally wrong for years and years?

I mean I'm happy to keep these in the bag for now and see if the honeymoon ever wears off--no need to suggest that, that's obviously plan A--I'm hitting these so good I don't even want to regrip them.  (Even there though...these clubs are more or less the opposite of what I normally go for.  They came with Tour Wrap 2Gs on them, no wraps underneath.  I prefer as aggressive a full cord as I can find, with a 1-2 wraps under the left hand and 3-4 wraps under the right.  Maybe it's a change in grip pressure that's keyed everything else, I really have no idea).  Anyway it's the WHYs and the WHATs that are driving me nuts right now.

So I'm totally mystified at this point.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

I've said it forever - standardized fitting specs are absolute garbage. Like, literal trash. 

If you can't miss, keep them in the bag!

Edited by Hack Daddy
  • Like 2

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

2 minutes ago, Hack Daddy said:

I've said it forever - standardized fitting specs are absolute garbage. Like, literal trash. 

If you can't miss, keep them in the bag!

lol, I know right!  I'm not a total moron.  They're firmly in the bag for the foreseeable future.

Two more thoughts on this.  One, I'm positive the clubheads have nothing to do with it.  I had a set of 32s back when they first came out, with Nippon NS Pro 950 stiffs.  Again, that's a shaft that (theoretically!) fits my swing profile very well and is the polar opposite of a PX 6.5.  I did not hit those anywhere near as well as I hit these.

The other thing that's been kicking around my mind on these is Karsten Solheim's theory on iron builds: very stiff shafts with light swingweights.  I believe he also called for lighter shafts, though back then I think that just meant like 115 or 120g instead of 130g.  Maybe the old man was on to something, eh?

I’d give it a couple more tries and re-evaluate your findings. 

I had a pretty embarrassing thread on here last spring, when I lengthened my MP-33‘s and had a day for the ages on the range. Just 1/2“ longer and lies adjusted, and I hit them so much longer I couldn’t believe it. It was crazy, and I could prove it, too, as I was on a closed range (lockdown) and literally walked out and collected the balls- so I stood next to the distance markers. 

Whatever I was on that day, I wish I coulda preserved it. Of course, it evened itself out the next couple sessions and while I hit them better than before, it’s not ad monumental as it felt that day. I must have been so pumped that I just smashed them in that one magical range session. 

So, give it a couple more tries! If it’s consistent, screw the numbers and play them as they are. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Not necessarily always about the good days....it's how crooked you can hit them on the bad ones  😄

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Tell us how they work after hitting 500 balls with them. That is the true test, not the short term throw 20 things against the wall and see what sticks at that moment in time, which is the preferred fitting method these days. 

I hope they continue to work out for you but there is ofter a significant difference between how your body reacts to initial changes in equipment from what you're used to and what your body does with them after the "new" feel becomes the "standard" feel.

Fitting is a guide not a rule book. Any good fitter has u try all kinds of stuff. Anyone that does it differently is not worth it imo 

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Playing to a 2 hc speaks volumes. As for the shafts, lower ball flight is what to expect, tighter dispersion is reasonable with tip stronger shafts, I do not think you will see a loss of distance, but you may not load the shaft , but you may load well  depending on your swing. I would play them unless you start feeling tired or notice joint pain in wrists or elbows.  It would be a great personal study if you had your previous shafts in to compare. Unless you dislike what you see, play them.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

6 minutes ago, puttingmatt said:

Playing to a 2 hc speaks volumes. As for the shafts, lower ball flight is what to expect, tighter dispersion is reasonable with tip stronger shafts, I do not think you will see a loss of distance, but you may not load the shaft , but you may load well  depending on your swing. I would play them unless you start feeling tired or notice joint pain in wrists or elbows.  It would be a great personal study if you had your previous shafts in to compare. Unless you dislike what you see, play them.

Conversely, the stiffer and heaver the shaft, the higher I hit it. I can put a 3i over a California palm, no problem, lol. 

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

I forced myself to wait about two and a half weeks to post anything about it, trying no to make too big a fool out of myself haha, and I am probably somewhere right around 500 balls by now.  Results seem consistent thus far.  Three 18 hole rounds, plus hitting a few dozen balls out behind my place just about every day, over the course of 15 or 20 days. 

One of those rounds my swing was off for sure.  I can tell by how I'm hitting driver.  And like I described above when my swing is "off" it's the transition from backswing to downswing that feels awkward and wrong and leads to the struggles.  The day I was off with the driver I'd normally expect to be off with the irons just as bad if not worse.  It wasn't the case this time.  Something about these specs seems to force my transition to be exactly what it should be.  That's really what I'm finding interesting about it.

And I guess part of what's confusing me is instead of changing one variable at a time to gauge the effect I changed almost EVERY variable and stumbled into something that--at least thus far--works suspiciously well.

I mean here's what changed, and they're all fairly drastic changes at that:

Club length

Shaft weight

Shaft flex

Swing weight

Grip

Lie and static weight are about the only things that didn't drastically change.  Loft's a wash if you ignore the number on the bottom of the club.

I'm just curious as to WHY these drastically different specs are working out as well as they are.

5 hours ago, Hack Daddy said:

Conversely, the stiffer and heaver the shaft, the higher I hit it. I can put a 3i over a California palm, no problem, lol. 

I owned the MP 32's, they spun pretty good from what I remember, preferred the 33's, even the 67's. Long time Mizuno player, which also explains the tight dispersion, the 32's where a popular iron with its cut muscle cavity. Great feel.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

22 hours ago, jmck said:

I picked up a set of irons (raw MP-32s--woohoo!) strictly for the heads.  The shafts were unlabeled, unmarked--knew nothing about them besides from that they were stepless, chrome, "felt stiff," and cut noticeably short.  Curiosity got the better of me and before taking them apart I hit a few balls in the back yard.  Couldn't miss.  So threw them in the bag and took them to the course.  54 holes later and I pretty much haven't missed a shot with them, and I mean that literally, without exaggeration.

Again curiosity got the better of me and I took the grip off the 3i.  They're PX 6.5 taper tips.  I have absolutely no business playing PX in 6.5 flex, in theory.  If I was going to fit myself into a PX shaft, it'd be maybe 5.0 in the original PX, or maybe 5.5 in an LZ/Flighted/IO version.  Driver swing speed is 100-105, and I'm not a big loader of the shaft, bit of an early releaser of the club.  That said, I'm a 2 handicap, never practicing, playing maybe once or twice a week at the most.  When I was younger and playing 5 or 6 days a week and practicing too I got down to +2 at my best.  Not trying to brag, just trying to say that I'm a fairly consistent ballstriker.  I'm also very consistent with my miss.  I'll get a little rushed/sloppy in transition and my miss is more of a plane/path one.  Basically I can still center the ball up, but I come over the top a bit and--depending on how much my subconscious tries to save it with my hands--hit either a pull hook or a wipe fade.  Granted, small sample size, but these poorly fit clubs have made that miss completely disappear.  Hard to describe it, but my transition with them feels very very tight, right on time, and easily repeatable.

Besides from the stiffness of the shafts, there's also the weight.  I've been playing stuff in the ~110g range forever.  I played Dynamic Gold a bit when I was younger and got along fine with them, but always preferred the old Apex shafts, then moved onto Dynalite Gold XPs.  For the past 4 years I've been playing KBS Tour 105 stiffs (110g) and I have absolutely no complaints with them.  And then there's the club length.  I'm a pretty standard dude--5'11" with somewhat long arms.  OTR stuff generally fits me pretty well.  Maybe I'll go 1/4" or 1/2" long and a degree or so flat, depending on factory specs.  But again, I have no business playing clubs that are somewhere between -1/2" and -1" short.  I'm measuring the 32s as standard factory lies.  With the heavy shafts cut short they swingweight at C8-C9 and static weight is maybe a little on the high side but nothing drastic.  I build my clubs on a mild swingweight slope.  Aim for D1 in the longest iron and let them drift to D3 in the PW.  Again, been doing it that way for years without complaint. 

So, tl;dr, compared to what SHOULD fit me, these clubs are clearly too short, swingweight too light, with shafts that are too heavy and too stiff.  Yet I can't miss.  Trajectory is maybe a little lower than I'd like to see in the longer irons, but it's certainly livable for the dispersion I'm getting here.  Like here are five 8 irons in a row in my backyard this morning.  You could throw a towel over them.  I'm not that good normally, but I am not kidding when I say I have yet to miss with these poorly fit clubs.  And normally it's my iron game that's my weakness and I make up for it in driving and short game.  Like I feel like I could stand there all day with my gamer KBS 105/Srixon z745s and not get a grouping that good.  I also don't feel like I've lost any distance, at least not any that isn't explained by the more traditional lofts of the 32s compared my usual z745s.

spacer.png

I'm really not sure whether it makes more sense to compare the 32 6i with the z745 6i or 7i--7i seems like a better match--so here they both are as I've measured them:

MP-32 6i z745 6i z745 7i
loft 31* 28* 32*
length 37" 38" 37.5"
lie 61* 60.5* 61*
grip weight 55g 50g 50g

So I guess my questions are, one, WHY does this build eliminate a miss I've struggled with for 30+ years?  And two, WHAT should I do next?  I could soft step the shafts in the 32s which would bring swingweight, flex, and length a little bit more in line with what "should" fit me.  Or I could take a club apart and figure out its MOI and build a set to match but with standard length, lighter shafts.  I'm really at a loss here, as I thought I had a pretty good grasp on what fit me--perhaps I've been totally wrong for years and years?

I mean I'm happy to keep these in the bag for now and see if the honeymoon ever wears off--no need to suggest that, that's obviously plan A--I'm hitting these so good I don't even want to regrip them.  (Even there though...these clubs are more or less the opposite of what I normally go for.  They came with Tour Wrap 2Gs on them, no wraps underneath.  I prefer as aggressive a full cord as I can find, with a 1-2 wraps under the left hand and 3-4 wraps under the right.  Maybe it's a change in grip pressure that's keyed everything else, I really have no idea).  Anyway it's the WHYs and the WHATs that are driving me nuts right now.

This exact same thing happened to me with a vintage set of Nicklaus Muirfield 20th's. They had R-400's in them and were 1" over standard length. Lie was a smidge upright. 

Took them out to play one day and it was the most glorious ball striking day of my life. Decided to kick the gamers out of the bag for these, they were MP4's with PX6.5 Flighted @ standard length. Played well with them the next two rounds but it was a slow downhill after that...after about 10 rounds I went back to the MP4's and it was smooth sailing again.

Switched the shafts to DG TI S400's in the Muirfield 20th's and they are the smoothest things ever for a vintage set day. (Yes I know they aren't technically vintage).

23 hours ago, jmck said:

spacer.png

MP-32 6i z745 6i z745 7i
loft 31* 28* 32*
length 37" 38" 37.5"
lie 61* 60.5* 61*
grip weight 55g 50g 50g

Regardless of what you think, the MP32s fit you better than the Srixons. The length looks like the old standard lengths and the heavier shaft is obviously smoothing out your timing and helping with the miss. Now, the only question is......

Are you going to try a slightly heavier shaft in your driver and see if that helps with the miss also? Keep us in the loop.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize