+1 or stock length irons at 6'4"?

lefthack

24 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Also my wedge game is different. Having started with a 9i and SW, I got used to using my SW for anything inside of about 30'. Now I use my 56 and it isn't a full swing club. I use my PW for anything from 110 yards to 30 feet.

When I first refreshed my bag, I got an AW, the 56 and a 60 because I thought I might be missing something. I took the AW and 60 out since I didn't use them after a few weeks.

That being said, I don't seem to have any issues with my 56 or PW at stock length, so I won't sweat it.

Sounds like you need to do a WITB and/or update your signature...definitely curious to see the setup you have going!

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

21 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Sounds like you need to do a WITB and/or update your signature...definitely curious to see the setup you have going!

There is one somewhere. It's basic, I went all Nike because they are local and make sexy hardware.

Driver, 3W, and 5W are Sasquatch

3H CPR hybrid

4H VR 2 hybrid

3, 5-PW Vapor Pro Combos 

Sasquatch AW (was going to go that route for my irons but decided the combos were more appropriate)

SV 56 and 60 wedge

$6 putter with milled face and graphite shaft because why not.

<edit> I think my whole setup is less than $300. The driver was $45, the 3i head was $40.

I spent the most on my Concept Helix grips. They did give me 2 free, though.

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Looking to replace the hybrids with the irons. Still thinking bout a 2i utility or 2H.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Why not split the different and go +1/2. The other issue here is you adapt to what you have and things change based on how your body feels. I'm also 6'4" and have played +.5 to +2 just because of how my body was at that time. I will say I tend to go to long over to short because you can always choke down, but you can't make clubs longer on the course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

And I thought I was crazy moving up to a combo iron set, damn. That seems like a lot of thought and effort went into that set.

I bought a cheap shaft and ferrules of eBay and called it good. The flex is rated the same as my others. I would have gotten the same shaft if I had shopped a little more.

Trial and error... Lots of error, too. Lmao!

I've never played better. My ball striking is exponentially better. I've realized the golf swing is more about comfort than traditional fit. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

7 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

Why not split the different and go +1/2. The other issue here is you adapt to what you have and things change based on how your body feels. I'm also 6'4" and have played +.5 to +2 just because of how my body was at that time. I will say I tend to go to long over to short because you can always choke down, but you can't make clubs longer on the course.

Yeah, the only reason I was thinking was the set of bare heads that are for sale. Not like my clubs were causing issues or anything. Also thought "why not graphite" just because while you are in there. 

But I think that money would be better spent on a set of VR Combos. Seems there is some folks who think the VR's are better than the Vapor Pros.

I love my Vapor Pros, but the VR's do look incredible. But how do they play? 

I'm also not one to have multiple sets of clubs, so I will just figure out what I like best and roll with it.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

9 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Yeah, the only reason I was thinking was the set of bare heads that are for sale. Not like my clubs were causing issues or anything. Also thought "why not graphite" just because while you are in there. 

But I think that money would be better spent on a set of VR Combos. Seems there is some folks who think the VR's are better than the Vapor Pros.

I love my Vapor Pros, but the VR's do look incredible. But how do they play? 

I'm also not one to have multiple sets of clubs, so I will just figure out what I like best and roll with it.

Combos were one of the best sets of irons I ever owned. Got rid of them to move to blades and regretted it. Been debating about trying to track down a set recently but it's hard to find ones with the blade heads. 

• Like 1

There is one somewhere. It's basic, I went all Nike because they are local and make sexy hardware.

Driver, 3W, and 5W are Sasquatch

3H CPR hybrid

4H VR 2 hybrid

3, 5-PW Vapor Pro Combos 

Sasquatch AW (was going to go that route for my irons but decided the combos were more appropriate)

SV 56 and 60 wedge

$6 putter with milled face and graphite shaft because why not.

<edit> I think my whole setup is less than $300. The driver was $45, the 3i head was $40.

I spent the most on my Concept Helix grips. They did give me 2 free, though.

Nice set up, very cool! The VR Pros are beauties for sure! Yeah, I tried to upgrade my set on a budget too this year, but still ended up spending about $2K, Lol! I bought my Driver, 3W, irons, 1 wedge, and putter used, but still surprising when you add up how much it all costs. Congrats on staying at $300 total for a sweet setup! 👏

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, Hack Daddy said:

Not only +2" but I have 14g brass ferrules and JumboMax tour XL grips, on 130g X flex shafts...

Holy sledgehammers, Batman!

Hey, whatever works for ya. We all have our own sweet spots when it comes to club specs.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

Great thread. I was going to post something similar as I'm 6'4" and iron length is something I have always struggled with. 

Like others, I have tried standard length, +.5", + .75" and +1". I have also come to the conclusion that unifom increased length throughout the set is not the answer as the long irons become too long. The point about having longer short irons and standard length longer irons is spot on. In that sense it would be a graduated increase in length as the irons get shorter. 

The other big issue is ridiculous swingweights you get as you increase in length. 

On that note, what methods has everyone used to keep swingweights in lengthened irons at sensible levels? As far as I can tell counterweighting, either through heavier grips and actual counterweights is the way to go? 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Great thread. I was going to post something similar as I'm 6'4" and iron length is something I have always struggled with. 

Like others, I have tried standard length, +.5", + .75" and +1". I have also come to the conclusion that unifom increased length throughout the set is not the answer as the long irons become too long. The point about having longer short irons and standard length longer irons is spot on. In that sense it would be a graduated increase in length as the irons get shorter. 

The other big issue is ridiculous swingweights you get as you increase in length. 

On that note, what methods has everyone used to keep swingweights in lengthened irons at sensible levels? As far as I can tell counterweighting, either through heavier grips and actual counterweights is the way to go? 

Yes you are correct on the swing weight for sure!  I have recently gone +1/2 inch with high quality graphite stiff and am glad I did  Dispersion is excellent and wear and tear on my body is less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jc0 said:

Combos were one of the best sets of irons I ever owned. Got rid of them to move to blades and regretted it. Been debating about trying to track down a set recently but it's hard to find ones with the blade heads. 

Yeah, we'll try finding them in lefty. 🤣

Oddly enough I am right handed. I was a switch hitter in baseball and decided I liked left better. When it came time to order my set from Sears for my golf class in junior college, I picked left having NO IDEA how hard it would be down the road.

I got a metal 5 wood, my old SW and a legit putter and that was my set for a decade.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I’m not as tall as the OP and recently tried a 3/8” increment build after reading about it here on WRX.  Used the 5 iron as the base.  I made it 1/4” longer than standard and then did the 3/8” increments from there.  I really like it.  The OP may want to consider this as a way to get some nice lengths.  

• Like 4

TaylorMade r5 Dual TP 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 83 R
TaylorMade R7 TP 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 80 S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 19* w/ Fujikura Motore F3 80 HB S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 22* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana H S
Titleist 735 CM 4 - PW with UST ProForce 115 RV2 Gold Tour R 
MacGregor MT Pro Gunmetal DW design 54* and 58* w/ DG S300
MacGregor Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings w/ BeCu insert

34 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Nice set up, very cool! The VR Pros are beauties for sure! Yeah, I tried to upgrade my set on a budget too this year, but still ended up spending about $2K, Lol! I bought my Driver, 3W, irons, 1 wedge, and putter used, but still surprising when you add up how much it all costs. Congrats on staying at $300 total for a sweet setup! 👏

One thing about lefty hardware is it can be pretty cheap because the limited market, but if bidding on eBay against 2 or more and it can get expensive.

My wedges were $5 each but paid $15 each for shipping. At $20, I am damn happy, though.

The VR Combos will likely cost me. There is a 3-7 for $250 right now, but I know finishing that set will double that price.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

9 minutes ago, lefthack said:

One thing about lefty hardware is it can be pretty cheap because the limited market, but if bidding on eBay against 2 or more and it can get expensive.

My wedges were $5 each but paid $15 each for shipping. At $20, I am damn happy, though.

The VR Combos will likely cost me. There is a 3-7 for $250 right now, but I know finishing that set will double that price.

Makes sense, didn’t think about lefty equipment being cheaper. I’m assuming you’re in the US, which is also way cheaper than here in Canada. VR Pros in my area cost $250-750 it looks like, depending on condition, so I guess it’s not that much more expensive in this case, but usually is.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

34 minutes ago, Lobber said:

Yes you are correct on the swing weight for sure!  I have recently gone +1/2 inch with high quality graphite stiff and am glad I did  Dispersion is excellent and wear and tear on my body is less. 

Out of interest what shafts did you go with and what weight are they? I'm considering some flighted SteelFibers for similar reasons. 

I said this in another recent thread: talk to your fitter about how going longer will impact swing weight and shaft flex. 

I was fit using a 1" stiff flex but we built it at 2" stiff.  When I got them, the shaft was wicked wobbly and the club felt heavy.  I have since reduced it to just 1" beyond stock and it's made a huge difference.   If going 1" or longer, I'd consider maybe going with a more stiff shaft to compensate.

Edited by cschweitzer29
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Makes sense, didn’t think about lefty equipment being cheaper. I’m assuming you’re in the US, which is also way cheaper than here in Canada. VR Pros in my area cost $250-750 it looks like, depending on condition, so I guess it’s not that much more expensive in this case, but usually is.

I got my Vapors from 2nd swing. The PO had pulled the badges off the backs and started to take the black off the PW. They also had white grips, so they really looked bad. They wanted $150 and it's $25 off your first purchase. Also free shipping over $100. I regripped with the new Golf Pride Concept Helix and took all the black off MMPROTO style and they look good. They play amazing.

I was looking for any of the Nike combos and these just fell in my lap.

Edited by lefthack
Spellers
  • Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

57 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Yeah, we'll try finding them in lefty. 🤣

Oddly enough I am right handed. I was a switch hitter in baseball and decided I liked left better. When it came time to order my set from Sears for my golf class in junior college, I picked left having NO IDEA how hard it would be down the road.

I got a metal 5 wood, my old SW and a legit putter and that was my set for a decade.

Just keep your eyes peeled, they're out there, lol!

20200329_171827.jpg

IMG_20200810_190604_Bokeh.jpg

• Thanks 1

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

1 hour ago, uglande said:

Holy sledgehammers, Batman!

Hey, whatever works for ya. We all have our own sweet spots when it comes to club specs.

Sometimes you get frustrated enough with the status quo to try radical things. 😂

• Like 2

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

I still don't know if they will play any better than my Vapors, but damn those are some sexy sticks. 🤣

And I've only been looking a couple months at the most. I didn't even know they existed until the end of September. 

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

1 minute ago, lefthack said:

I still don't know if they will play any better than my Vapors, but damn those are some sexy sticks. 🤣

By far, I had vapors. They don't even compare to the vr pros/combos. Night amd day. 

• Like 1

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Seriously, it was just before my birthday last September when I chose to replace skateboarding with golf. I haven't taken my game seriously since college and that was '90. I was pretty good then and it hasn't taken me long to get pretty good again.

The Vapor Combo was exactly what I needed in my irons. I have never had issues with my 3i, but a little help is appreciated. But the ability to shape my 8's has been awesome. Even if I get the VR's, the Vapors will stick around.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

4 hours ago, lefthack said:

I don't know, I've never had an actual fitting. My old irons were custom to my height measurements, nothing more. 

So I have ZERO fitting experience, only hear stories of being pushed into a set they hate.

Again, I have no idea where to find "a good fitter". And what is a "good fitter"? Someone with a 4+ on Google?

Where are you? I like to research good fitters and have had some success finding them... 

in terms of being cheap, I get the sentiment but disagree with your conclusion... I just spent $500 on a new putter. $150 for the fitting and $350 for a custom built putter. 

I’ve had 2 putters in the last twenty years, and will play this one for at least 10... getting fit for irons and getting the right set custom built (especially when you aren’t an average height) can save you a ton of headaches. I’d rather spend the money once and get everything built correctly. 

To do this, you need to find a good fitter. One who you trust and wants to work with you. Personally I think it’s worth the time and effort to find the right one, but maybe that doesn’t interest you. 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I spent $6 on my putter and will put it up against any putter at any price. I would have easily paid $20 for it.

If I have $500 burning a hole in my pocket, a putter is way down on my list of things to get with it. But that's me.

I paid $14k for my Corvette. Could I have paid more? Of course I could have. But my needs were basic (01-04, less than 75k miles, 6 speed, targa). My putter is the same, only smaller scale.

<edit> did I mention my putter has a graphite shaft? 🤣

Edited by lefthack
  • Confused 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

And I mean no offense of any kind, but the idea of a putter fitting is hilarious to me. It's a putter.

<edit> I mean, if a putter isn't 90% player, 10% club, then I must be doing it wrong (or right?) If you need to spend $500 to get that 10%, maybe golf isn't your game.

The further you get from the hole, the more help is needed. But once I'm on the green, it's Putt Putt without the windmill in the way. And you do that with a bright red blade.

Edited by lefthack
  • Confused 2

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

8 hours ago, uglande said:

I'm 6'5" and have been working on different setups for years. Here is where I'm at: +3/4 in the wedges, +1/2 in the irons, standard length in the utility irons and woods.

Anything more than an inch is not only overkill but will send your swing weights skyrocketing. And here's the thing: tall golfers only really need extra length in the wedges/bottom of the bag. I bet when you pick up your stock 4 iron it feels natural but when you pick up your PW it feels a little short.

Tall golfers don't need much extra length in most of the irons, and certainly not at the top end of the bag. It's just adding weight and increasing the likelihood of off-center strikes.

Hack Daddy says he plays irons +2. That is crazy to me. That means his 7 iron is the length of a standard 3 iron and is 12 swing weights higher than standard (before any weight adjustments like heavier grip, etc.).

My advice is go with what you've got, if it works. And if you add any length, try just the wedges first. Those are clubs where the added weight won't be a problem and it's the only spot in the bag where you might really need the extra length.

6'7"here been playing 30 yrs

i believe this 100% also believe that if you play a lot you will adapt learn how to hit your clubs

ive lost plenty of moolah to guys w old clubs that werent playing $1500 fitteds

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lefthack said:

And I mean no offense of any kind, but the idea of a putter fitting is hilarious to me. It's a putter.

<edit> I mean, if a putter isn't 90% player, 10% club, then I must be doing it wrong (or right?) If you need to spend $500 to get that 10%, maybe golf isn't your game.

The further you get from the hole, the more help is needed. But once I'm on the green, it's Putt Putt without the windmill in the way. And you do that with a bright red blade.

I don't take any offense... We all have different priorities with our money, and what to spend it on...

My putting was bad... I played a round over the summer where I hit the first 10 greens, and was +2 with 2 three putts.. It's 100% me, but my first step in getting better was making sure I had the right tool in my hand. I had the resources and the time, so it made sense to invest into my golf game. 

At the end of the day, I have a limited amount of time, money and energy... I could absolutely find a $9 putter and learn to putt with it... but it would take me a lot of time and energy. For $500, I eliminated the need to adjust myself to a putter, and got an amazing putting lesson in the process. Now I can focus on the basics of putting and have a tool that performs consistently and doesn't need any manipulation.

In 2004, I was a 4 handicap playing clubs I had bought used 10 years ago. They had the wrong shafts and hadn't ever been adjusted for length or lie... I was perfectly comfortable hitting them, and by putting in the time on the course, I was a decent golfer... (still a terrible putter, but that's a different story). I was playing them up until last year, when I bought a set of heads here of irons from 2012 (because they were cheap and my favorite heads of all time). I got them shafted with shafts we had lying around the shop... They are great. I'm a good ball striker, and can adjust. 

You absolutely don't need a fitting, and you can learn to play anything with enough time and energy... That doesn't mean you won't play better with things actually built to your specs... I love golf, I love playing golf and talking about golf... Getting to spend 2 hours talking putters with a guy who knew his stuff was an awesome experience... getting to see my putting tendencies and mistakes was awesome... That was $150... and $350 to a putter built to my specs that will last me as long as I want it to... I'd happily do it again, it was worth every penny.

It's just money, I'll make more.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

True story. I know folks that spend way more than I do on a lot of stuff. My issue is I like nice stuff, I just have a tough time justifying it.

But I also know that sometimes it's well worth the money, regardless of the total bill.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

True story. I know folks that spend way more than I do on a lot of stuff. My issue is I like nice stuff, I just have a tough time justifying it.

But I also know that sometimes it's well worth the money, regardless of the total bill.

I get it... I don't spend money on many things... Golf is one of them, but I spend it consciously and specifically target what I want (and research it endlessly before buying anything)... 

I'm pretty particular with how I spend my money, but when I do spend it, I get exactly what I want. I'd much rather spend the time and energy sourcing a quality cut of meat and cooking a steak at home than I would going to a nice steakhouse... 

My goal this season is to become a good putter... I don't think getting fit for a putter HAD to happen, but I do believe it will help me achieve my goal... I can't give you a "if it saves me 3 strokes it was worth it" metric, but I've already spent more time practicing with my new putter than I ever did with my old putter! Sometimes investing in things is a good way to make yourself focus better... at least for me it is (also why I'm currently paying a nutritionist!)

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58