Swing Weight off?? DIY full bag

Hello Everyone!

i have finally built my gamer set that took about 2 years to get the right parts testing and shafts. I have a question on my specs. Ive done all the weight measurements needed. My math (and 3 different sw calculators) seem somewhat right except for my driver. 

3 W and 3 Rescue are still at D4-4.5 

Irons are D2 4-8 and 9 is D3 PW D4. 
Wedges are D6 in 52 and D8 in 56 60.

my question is The Stock SIM driver is 45.75 my KuroKage I installed plays it at 45.625 which theoretically should have dropped it to D4.5 area. But I think the head itself is too light possibly. Ill attach my sheet that took me a few hours. Any help would be great l!!! 

78FD5634-09BD-40D7-9E87-DF3ABC20A4F3.jpeg

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9* Set at 7.5* KuroKage XT60 TX

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM 14* Rocket set 15.25* Fujikura Speeder Pro TS X 74 

Hybrid: Taylormade SIM Max 3 19* Fujikura Atmos Blue 8 TS X 

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Tour Modus 3 120TX 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 52F 56D 60D DG S400 TI 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Studio Style

Ball: Taylormade TP5 Pix

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chasing swing weight on paper is never going to get you anywhere. If you think the driver feels too light, then add some lead tape and try it again. Anything else is pure theory and of zero value with

Two of the bigger things which can cause errors using calculators or spread sheets from component values: 1) For adjustable heads, the adapter weight should be included in the head weight, not th

I build clubs at home without a swingweight scale.  I have exclusively used the leaderboard.com calculator for years and I have found it to be extremely accurate when double-checked against a scale.

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, brandon_warrenn said:

Hello Everyone!

i have finally built my gamer set that took about 2 years to get the right parts testing and shafts. I have a question on my specs. Ive done all the weight measurements needed. My math (and 3 different sw calculators) seem somewhat right except for my driver. 

3 W and 3 Rescue are still at D4-4.5 

Irons are D2 4-8 and 9 is D3 PW D4. 
Wedges are D6 in 52 and D8 in 56 60.

my question is The Stock SIM driver is 45.75 my KuroKage I installed plays it at 45.625 which theoretically should have dropped it to D4.5 area. But I think the head itself is too light possibly. Ill attach my sheet that took me a few hours. Any help would be great l!!! 

Two of the bigger things which can cause errors using calculators or spread sheets from component values:

1) For adjustable heads, the adapter weight should be included in the head weight, not the shaft weight.

2) If you're using any calculator that doesn't take into account the shaft balance point, forget it and find another one.   Shaft balance point can have as much, if not more of an effect on the swing weight than the shaft weight.

3) a coralary of the above two.  If you need the shaft balance point, it needs to be measured without the adapter or grip.

So basically means if you can't manage #3 above because the adapter is glued on and the grip has been installed already, then forget the component based calcs and move to a club based calc where you measure the total club static weight and the built club balance point.   e.g.  like the one on leaderboard.com

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

Thank you for the info!!! @Stuart_G

they feel all good so far my game has been better since I made this bag. Ill see if I can go to a local guy for swing weight. But just based of the sheet I made does it seem close enough weightage wise? It seems to increase correctly from Driver to Wedges

14 minutes ago, brandon_warrenn said:

Thank you for the info!!! @Stuart_G

they feel all good so far my game has been better since I made this bag. Ill see if I can go to a local guy for swing weight. But just based of the sheet I made does it seem close enough weightage wise? It seems to increase correctly from Driver to Wedges

Close enough to what?  

If the question is with respect to setting up the clubs then the value doesn't matter, only the results.   The best fit for swing weight is only something you can figure out on the range, not in the shop with a swing weight scale.  And considering the wide range of shaft weights, grip weights, and lengths - you shouldn't be targeting the same value for all 3 driver set-ups.  Head weight for each should be adjusted independently.

If it's just with respect to documenting what you already know is a good fit, then just wait until you can get access to a scale.

Edited by Stuart_G

I appreciate the help! Ill be looking for a swing weight bench local. I just tried to do numbers based off stock listing and then changing things up. Either way I'm pretty happy with all the info I was able to do since I've never really looked into weights and stuff. Once I get to a scale Ill notify everyone! Thanks again @Stuart_G @adam C

2 minutes ago, brandon_warrenn said:

I appreciate the help! Ill be looking for a swing weight bench local. I just tried to do numbers based off stock listing and then changing things up. Either way I'm pretty happy with all the info I was able to do since I've never really looked into weights and stuff. Once I get to a scale Ill notify everyone! Thanks again @Stuart_G @adam C

If this is your first venture into adjusting the club (self fitting), then this is a must read:

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

Two of the bigger things which can cause errors using calculators or spread sheets from component values:

1) For adjustable heads, the adapter weight should be included in the head weight, not the shaft weight.

2) If you're using any calculator that doesn't take into account the shaft balance point, forget it and find another one.   Shaft balance point can have as much, if not more of an effect on the swing weight than the shaft weight.

3) a coralary of the above two.  If you need the shaft balance point, it needs to be measured without the adapter or grip.

So basically means if you can't manage #3 above because the adapter is glued on and the grip has been installed already, then forget the component based calcs and move to a club based calc where you measure the total club static weight and the built club balance point.   e.g.  like the one on leaderboard.com

I build clubs at home without a swingweight scale.  I have exclusively used the leaderboard.com calculator for years and I have found it to be extremely accurate when double-checked against a scale.

• Thanks 1

What's in the Sunday Bag?

Persimmons, Forged Irons, Rusty Wedges and knit headcovers.

@joelco thanks man! I was using http://golf.okrasa.eu/clubs/swingweight-en/sw-plan-en/ and http://golf.okrasa.eu/clubs/swingweight-en/sw-measurement/ ill use yours as well to see if it matches. Ive been building my own/families clubs for a while. I just wanted to know the exact weight of everything and SW since this was my dream build that took me forever to get correct. 

So far after re weighing today and using the 3rd option you gave' here is what I have after adding all swing weights then dividing them by 3 for each site and this is what I got. 

Driver: D4.6

3W: D4.3

3R: D4.4

4: D3

5: D3

6: D3.5

7: D3.3

8: D3.5

9: D3.45

P: D4.25

52: D6

56: D7

60: D7

Being only 22 with no formal experience and just using basic math/equations I feel like these are pretty accurate. 

16 hours ago, joelco said:

Yes.  Most of the full club online estimators are good (assuming accurate measurements are put in).   It's only really the component based ones that you have to be careful about.  Those are the ones that try and help a builder determine swing weight before the parts are assembled together into a club.

Edited by Stuart_G