2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Traditional lofted irons - how many Wrx gearheads still playing ?

cardoustie

2009 TOURSTAGE X-Blade 701 - semi traditional lofts I believe.  Traditional length PW is 35.25" and 5i is 37.75".

PW- 46

9 - 42

8 - 38

7 - 34

6 - 30

5 - 26

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Honma TR21 16* 3 Wood
Honma TR21 Hybrid 19* and 23*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

1 hour ago, Dan Drake said:

I actually think that there is something to be gained by going this way.  While I am 100% an advocate of hitting your driver as far as possible within whatever your "playing" speed is, hitting your irons as far as possible just isn't a recipe for success.  Yes, we want to hit them higher and farther and with more spin to make approach shots easier, but not by swinging out of our shoes/out of balance.  I can honestly say that the chase for distance with irons has led me down this path, so I know that it has done the same to others as well.  

Intentionally playing irons with "traditional" lofts, after a small period of adjustment I'm sure, is a great way to overcome this mindset.  So what if your buddies are now hitting the same club into greens as you?  Big deal, you are going to hit it closer and last time I checked, lowest score still wins.  

Oh, and added bounce and less offset never hurt (for me anyways) either!

There isn't a club in my bag that makes me swing out of my shoes. Lofts, traditional or otherwise, make no difference in how hard I swing the club for a shot. Last I checked, a club hasn't been able to talk me into anything, mainly because it can't talk.

• Like 2

5-26 6-30 7-34 8-38 9-42 PW-46 "Stenson" Legacy Blacks - those are the specs from when I had them re-shafted and lofts/lies set back in 2016. I remember toying with having them bent a couple degrees stronger, but discussion about bounce with the guy doing the work and gap with my next wedge kept me from making what I think would have been a mistake.

Based on irons friends have bought the past several years my lofts are weak, but they aren't like the Staff Tour Blades from 1980 I wish I still had. 

Actually dumped the 5i late season out after finally getting an additional hybrid.  I can hit the 6-PW no problem, like the spin, the distances are consistent for me, but I'm no scratch player.  

@cardoustieWent from Eye2+ to Eye3+ back in the day. From the Eye3+ to the ‘14 AP2s.  To this day I can’t say I really had a good reason to change, but the Titleists were shiny and “forged”. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, agolf1 said:

You are really playing with a "jacked" PW too (at least a real PW).  But keep telling yourself that you are a TRADITIONALIST.  Some people are smart enough to know it only matters that all of your irons fly the right distance and match with your fairways/hybrids and wedges.  Could be a 680 PW bent weak or a T400 W2.

Haha its all good, I know a 47 is strong compared to old school. I don’t get bent out of shape over it my post was mostly made in jest. 

But it is worth making the point that those who make the argument about the numbers just being different is wrong because of the different shaft lengths. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

6 minutes ago, Chadwickog said:

Haha its all good, I know a 47 is strong compared to old school. I don’t get bent out of shape over it my post was mostly made in jest. 

But it is worth making the point that those who make the argument about the numbers just being different is wrong because of the different shaft lengths. 

Well...In addition to having stronger lofts, iron lengths have also gotten longer. When I started golfing my 5 iron was 30° and 37.5". In the KE4S set its 25° and 38". The 6 iron is 28° and 37.5" Thats built to standard specs of the day.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Yep see my signature based off a 48* PW. I do carry a 52* but not from a distance standpoint thing but for some shots I can hit with this paticular wedge.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I love my 23 and 26 OG apex hybrids, there is not a “long iron” invented that could displace these ... so that changes where my irons need to start .. I know the 4i won’t ever see gamer time ... but I will practice with it

the other aside is I love the old gray finish for the eye2 and i3+ etc. ... looks, anti-glare and most of all bullet proof durability 

gotta sort wedges out ... love my SM2 TVD m grinds in 56 and 60.  My 2 go to clubs around greens though I do carry a 64 at times

I do have a 50 glide and 50 iwedge I could make 51* > perhaps just bend the 56 to 55 and the 60 to 59

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

19 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

I love my 23 and 26 OG apex hybrids, there is not a “long iron” invented that could displace these ... so that changes where my irons need to start .. I know the 4i won’t ever see gamer time ... but I will practice with it

the other aside is I love the old gray finish for the eye2 and i3+ etc. ... looks, anti-glare and most of all bullet proof durability 

gotta sort wedges out ... love my SM2 TVD m grinds in 56 and 60.  My 2 go to clubs around greens though I do carry a 64 at times

I do have a 50 glide and 50 iwedge I could make 51* > perhaps just bend the 56 to 55 and the 60 to 59

I have learned especially since my back injury we do not have the SS anymore to elevate those long irons like we used to. Lately I am up to two hybrids a 20* and a 22*. Right now I do have a 25* on the bench deciding what shaft I want to try. I can still basically hit the 3 and 4 irons but at this stage of life it takes a lot of effort for me. Right now I am experimenting with a set of TP CBs with Steelfiber 95 shafts to help the shock on my back. According to specs  ( and I checked them myself) they are about 2* or so stronger than my old VIPs but I do not see any distance changes. According to the published spec sheets they have some odd ball half degree lofts like Ping does But like I said it does not seem to make any difference for me ball flite or distance wise

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

I would love to see a “critical mass” develop  of “seasoned guys playing irons they grew up with” that would compel OEMs to deliver the ‘player’ type hybrids in higher lofts - say 26/27.  I use, and am a huge fan of, hybrids but I tend to overspin the traditional designs once loft gets greater than about 23 and I can handle the ‘players’ model down to about 21 deg.  That would allow continuing to use clubs I’m used to looking at for another decade or so at 28+ degrees while affording proper flight profile between 6i and my first fairway wood.

Hopeful but not holding my breath...

• Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

4 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

I actually think that there is something to be gained by going this way.  While I am 100% an advocate of hitting your driver as far as possible within whatever your "playing" speed is, hitting your irons as far as possible just isn't a recipe for success.  Yes, we want to hit them higher and farther and with more spin to make approach shots easier, but not by swinging out of our shoes/out of balance.  I can honestly say that the chase for distance with irons has led me down this path, so I know that it has done the same to others as well.  

Intentionally playing irons with "traditional" lofts, after a small period of adjustment I'm sure, is a great way to overcome this mindset.  So what if your buddies are now hitting the same club into greens as you?  Big deal, you are going to hit it closer and last time I checked, lowest score still wins.  

Oh, and added bounce and less offset never hurt (for me anyways) either!

Reading “The Complete Golfer” by Harry Vardon (1905) right now. He says, “Always use the club that takes the least out of you.”  

But he also says, “Do not be tempted to invest in a sample of each new golfing invention as soon as it makes his appearance.” So what the h does he know, lol. 

• Like 4

Posted earlier but I’ve literally spent thousands to no avail, my FG17s with the traditional lofts just flat out work! Nothing has ever unseated them. I NEED to stop looking but as king as I can afford to tinker I’m sure I will. I’m going to work extra hard this year to stick to them thoroughly for the year and get to lower single digit HC. 

• Like 1

It’s when the numbered irons start getting so off that you need to have W1 and W2 to fill in the gap left at the bottom of the set that annoys me, all the crap about better flight windows become just marketing spiel. They’ve just delofted them to make it seem like you’re hitting your irons further. Which is basically an unnecessary pissing match anyway. Hit the club that gets the ball into the hole.

Last set I bought was the Titleist 718 CB as they were the closest I could find that still had “normalized” lofts. Loved the design of the TaylorMade P7MC, but can’t see bending them back 1-2 degrees to get them normal and throwing the bounces out of whack too. Oh well, I’ve got enough clubs anyway!

-VS

B2EE1AA9-71D6-410B-B849-1E5BB453A5A1.png

BD51C540-334A-40C2-8416-30511934824C.jpeg

• Like 1

MAIN SET
Driver - TaylorMade 2009 Burner TP 8.5° | Alidila Rogue 125 MSI Tour I/O 60 X Flex
3-Wood - TaylorMade 2007 Burner TP 14.5° | Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73X X Flex
2-9 Irons - Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50°/08F, 56°/14F, 60°/10S | Dynamic Gold X100 Flex
Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 1.5 | Golf Pride Tour Tradition Grip
Balls - Titleist Pro V1x

Grips - Golf Pride MCC | Black/Grey Plus4 ALIGN Midsize

40 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

I would love to see a “critical mass” develop  of “seasoned guys playing irons they grew up with” that would compel OEMs to deliver the ‘player’ type hybrids in higher lofts - say 26/27.  I use, and am a huge fan of, hybrids but I tend to overspin the traditional designs once loft gets greater than about 23 and I can handle the ‘players’ model down to about 21 deg.  That would allow continuing to use clubs I’m used to looking at for another decade or so at 28+ degrees while affording proper flight profile between 6i and my first fairway wood.

I actually have a tour issue adams a12 proto in 28* that may see bag time this summer, I have assorted sole weights as well, need to find the right shaft from my selection to optimize performance ... maybe my 97g hb6 PX

its a solid 190 club and my 5h is my stock 200 stick

• Like 3

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Traditional lofts don’t exist, it’s an ever evolving group of numbers 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

The sets I'll be reshafting with graphite for primary use in 2021 have a 51* or 49* PW.  For what it's worth.  🙂

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Love the Mizuno MP-20 blades with traditional (1970s) lofts. I want buttery feel, control and consistency with my irons. I also play softer shafts in my irons than my woods.

I went down the P790 road but will never go back. Feel sucks. Inconsistent. Awful turf interaction. No feedback. And with my blades, the thin topline and sole, and low offset, is such a beautiful look. I just want to hit iron shots all day long. And while I don't work the ball a lot with my irons, I CAN. So if I need to bend one or flight it, it's no problem. 

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

Yep - Miura CB-801 are standard... 

PW - 47

9 - 42

8 - 38

7 - 34

6 - 30

5 - 27

4 - 24

Edited by tdelam

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Reading “The Complete Golfer” by Harry Vardon (1905) right now. He says, “Always use the club that takes the least out of you.”  

But he also says, “Do not be tempted to invest in a sample of each new golfing invention as soon as it makes his appearance.” So what the h does he know, lol. 

Harry clearly wasn’t a WRX’er!! 😂🤣😂🤣

• Like 3

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

47 here. I go 47, 51.5, 56, 60. JPX 921 Sel a degree weak throughout. 

• Like 1

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Ok ignoring the number stamped on the club I'll just compare the lofts of my 3 - GW (21° - 51°) compared to a modern 5 - GW ( also 21° - 51°). 

21°/ 21°

24°/ 24°

27°/ 27°

31°/ 31.5°

35°/ 36°

39°/ 41°

43°/ 46°

47°/ 51°

51°/ - 

Not exactly the same is it? 

However what I like about the modern setup is that it is much easier to hit a 21° club. We were throwing out our 'hard to hit' 21° 3 irons and replacing them with hybrids but nobody would find a 5 iron hard to hit would they? 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

1 hour ago, kiwihacker said:

Ok ignoring the number stamped on the club I'll just compare the lofts of my 3 - GW (21° - 51°) compared to a modern 5 - GW ( also 21° - 51°). 

21°/ 21°

24°/ 24°

27°/ 27°

31°/ 31.5°

35°/ 36°

39°/ 41°

43°/ 46°

47°/ 51°

51°/ - 

Not exactly the same is it? 

However what I like about the modern setup is that it is much easier to hit a 21° club. We were throwing out our 'hard to hit' 21° 3 irons and replacing them with hybrids but nobody would find a 5 iron hard to hit would they? 

Do you really have a 21 degree 5i?  I know some sets are stronger than others (and I don’t give a rip what folks choose to play) but 5i @ 21 - Yowzer...

• Haha 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Lofts on my '21 Apex Pro irons
3i: 21.5

4i: 24
5i: 27
Lofts on my '20 Apex MB irons
6i: 31

7i: 35

8i: 39

9i: 43
PW: 47

I also have a set of '13 X Forged that I like to play occasionally and their lofts are almost identical.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I don't understand why they are called modern and traditional lofts. Isn't it the CG that has moved down (and back)? The loft change is just the compensation for it in my opinion.

How strong lofts you need comes down to how far you need to hit your mid-irons for the course you play.

6 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

I know where you are coming from here---- I have just started tinkering with hybrids so there is a little conjecture here. To begin with they are designed with hot faces for those of us with slower SS but then again so are some of the newer irons with 2 piece welded faces. I think in a lot of cases shaft selection will make a difference. Another thing I think that would tone down the faces some is the addition of like Speed Foam. I do have a aftermarket clone 28* head I have been experimenting with and like you said I get a lot of spin with it. In fact it tends to balloon with me. I also do not get the distance I need with it because it goes so high. From what little I have experimented I can see this may be a long road to get them where I want to

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I actually have a tour issue adams a12 proto in 28* that may see bag time this summer, I have assorted sole weights as well, need to find the right shaft from my selection to optimize performance ... maybe my 97g hb6 PX

its a solid 190 club and my 5h is my stock 200 stick

I have that Adams a12 in 22* and for me it is around a 170 club---- My Adams Boxer 19* I get about 185 out of. My Adams Tight Lies 4 wood as I call it at 16* I can get 200 out of. Of course this is with me being 63 years old and at sea level. Lately when I can I have been experimenting with a ( GASP) M-6 Driver with a 45 gram shaft. Been getting around 230 or so carry which is impressive for me in my current health condition. I know the M-5 and M-6 can be border line conforming and I wonder if mine may be non conforming not that I care

Edited by BIG STU