My chipper is now riding the bench

theorangeman

Last week, I finally pulled the chipper (smart sole 2.0) out of my bag after 6 years or so.  I feel so bare now, it was a great club which I probably trusted more than any other club.  However, I ultimately decided that I will get more precision and accuracy using my Vokeys if I learn to use them a bit differently.  So far it has been an up and down transition, but I know it's the right thing to do for me to get better with my short game.  That said, I admit, I miss the ole chipper at times.  Moving on is hard some times.   😆  

Has anyone else ever taken the chipper out of their bag?  If so, was it an easy transition?  For me, the girth of the chipper just gave me confidence.  I've hit some fine shots off tree roots with that club.  However, the chunky size also takes away from it being a finesse type club, such as my Vokey SM8's.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, theorangeman said:

Last week, I finally pulled the chipper (smart sole 2.0) out of my bag after 6 years or so.  I feel so bare now, it was a great club which I probably trusted more than any other club.  However, I ultimately decided that I will get more precision and accuracy using my Vokeys if I learn to use them a bit differently.  So far it has been an up and down transition, but I know it's the right thing to do for me to get better with my short game.  That said, I admit, I miss the ole chipper at times.  Moving on is hard some times.   😆  

Has anyone else ever taken the chipper out of their bag?  If so, was it an easy transition?  For me, the girth of the chipper just gave me confidence.  I've hit some fine shots off tree roots with that club.  However, the chunky size also takes away from it being a finesse type club, such as my Vokey SM8's.  

So much depends on how much practice time you have or are willing to dedicate. Focus on improving the worst aspect of your game. If I could buy a driver that would help me find fairways 50% more even though I gave up 10 yards, I'm doing it. My driver costs me 5 strokes a round. If your chipper gets you on the green the vast majority of the time, don't feel guilty as long as there are other things you desperately need to focus on.

All that being said, chipping is probably the one thing most can do at home that still closely mimics the course so....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pktaske said:

So much depends on how much practice time you have or are willing to dedicate. Focus on improving the worst aspect of your game. If I could buy a driver that would help me find fairways 50% more even though I gave up 10 yards, I'm doing it. My driver costs me 5 strokes a round easy. EASY. If your chipper gets you on the green the vast majority of the time, don't feel guilty as long as there are other things you desperately need to focus on.

All that being said, chipping is probably the one thing most can do at home that still closely mimics the course so....

You mean a chipper that is only for chipping, not a full swing club? If so, I have never been able to figure out why someone would want to take a perfectly good full swing club outta the bag. The pro at the course I played at as a kid was really impressed that I said that to him. Of course he taught us kids how to chip as the pros do.

Learn to chip with a 6, 7, 8 iron.

• Like 3

Yeah, I let go of my chipper this season also and it was a rough transition...can relate 100%! That thing was my crutch and used it for almost everything within 15 ft of the green. Truthfully I used it for shots I had no business using it for, but it was just so reliable and consistent that it was my go-to. To me getting rid of it was the best move long-term, but it basically forces you to re-learn how to chip. I figured out that my 8-iron has the same loft as my chipper had though, so use that for bump & runs just off the green, and learning how to use the wedges in my bag properly and manage around the greens effectively.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

7 hours ago, theorangeman said:

Last week, I finally pulled the chipper (smart sole 2.0) out of my bag after 6 years or so

WITB: I have

(a) 42* Cleveland 'C' smart sole

(b) Cleveland 49* 'D' Niblick

(c) 58* 'S' Smart Sole!

...and sometimes interchanged with

(d) Prodyn (JDM) 45* and 55* chippers 😅
http://prodyn.jp/sp/chipper.html

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SugarLandGolfer said:

I think chippers are an underrated club for a large number of golfers. Most golfers agree that improving short game is one of the quickest ways to lower scores, yet we don’t always use clubs that will make it easier for us. Chippers have a specific use, and they make the game easier for those that do find they hit it fat too often. A lot of mid to high handicaps could probably use a chipper more than a lob wedge in an average round and get better scores for it.

You shouldn't be fatting a 9 iron chip and run. IMO you're just wasting a spot in the bag.  You already have all of the tools at your disposal. I agree, far too many ams grab their most lofted club and either blade it over the green or chunk it. Stats say better golfers use a variety of lofts around the green. If there is one area where it is easy to make measurable improvement without making drastic physical changes (like trying to add speed), it's short game. A basic mid or short iron bump and run is one of the easiest shots in golf IMO. I taught my non-golfer fiance how to do it effectively in about 5 minutes with a 7 iron. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Loki said:

You mean a chipper that is only for chipping, not a full swing club? If so, I have never been able to figure out why someone would want to take a perfectly good full swing club outta the bag. The pro at the course I played at as a kid was really impressed that I said that to him. Of course he taught us kids how to chip as the pros do.

Learn to chip with a 6, 7, 8 iron.

I think this is the answer.  Removing the chipper that you love is one thing; hitting those same shots with a lofted wedge is something else entirely. 

The reason a chipper works is because it's just a lot easier to predict and control roll than carry, which is why we putt on a green instead of chipping, right?  So if you look at the loft of a chipper, which is probably comparable to a 7 iron, that's a pretty easy conversion without giving up a full swing club.  There are a LOT of really, really good players playing the same shots that you're playing with your chipper; they're just doing it with a 7, 8, or 9 iron, and sometimes even hybrids.

• Like 2

I purchased a chipper probably 10 years ago and only had it in my bag sporatically. I could never get the line or distance I wanted, so it sits in my 'spare club' bag in the basement. Although, if I felt I could get the distance/line consistantly, I could see keeping it in the bag. It really boils down to which club works the best for you, but a little practice usually results in consistancey with lofted irons/wedges.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

37 minutes ago, bluedot said:

I think this is the answer.  Removing the chipper that you love is one thing; hitting those same shots with a lofted wedge is something else entirely. 

The reason a chipper works is because it's just a lot easier to predict and control roll than carry, which is why we putt on a green instead of chipping, right?  So if you look at the loft of a chipper, which is probably comparable to a 7 iron, that's a pretty easy conversion without giving up a full swing club.  There are a LOT of really, really good players playing the same shots that you're playing with your chipper; they're just doing it with a 7, 8, or 9 iron, and sometimes even hybrids.

There’s some fun videos on YouTube with a few of the big golf reviewers that have the same mindset as you. It’s a worthless club that could be better replaced with another club. MrShortGame is one that comes to mind immediately. His initial hypothesis is that it’s a gimmick, but by the end, he does see some value in it. Not enough to knock a club out of his bag, but it’s more versatile than he thought.

there’s also a video with Sheils where he randomly gives it to some older guys he meets on the course and doesn’t let them practice at all with it. They sucked. It’s not a miracle worker club, but with limited practice, it makes chipping easier for some people which leads to lower scores.

• Like 1

I posted this question on another old thread (that was started ~2016 so might not get a reply) w.r.t. chippers & USGA rules, but would welcome comments from knowledgeable GolfWRXers!

•  
   On 12/1/2016 at 3:23 PM,  John L.said: 

The USGA on chippers:

4-1/3

Status of a Chipper

Q.What Rules apply to "chippers"?

A.A "chipper" is an iron club designed primarily for use off the putting green, generally with a loft greater than ten degrees. As most players adopt a "putting stroke" when using a chipper, there can be a tendency to design the club as if it was a putter. To eliminate confusion, the Rules which apply to "chippers" include:

• The shaft must be attached to the clubhead at the heel (Appendix II, 2c);
  • The grip must be circular in cross-section (Appendix II, 3(i)) and only one grip is permitted (Appendix II, 3(v));
  • The clubhead must be generally plain in shape (Appendix II, 4a) and have only one striking face (Appendix II, 4d); and
  • The face of the club must conform to specifications with regard to hardness, surface roughness, material and markings in the impact area (Appendix II, 5).

@John L. (or other knowledgeable GolfWRX members):
Would you know if the Rule on circular grips (2nd bullet-point in your list above) = still in-force? (presumably 'Yes'?)
i.e. A super-stroke putter grip (with square front) on my chipper = technically still non-conforming to the Rules of Golf?

Saw a youtube video (Link below, "Mr Short Game" experimenting with a SuperStroke grip on all manner of non-putter clubs: Driver, Irons, etc) circa Sept2020,
in which the YouTuber also complained the "circular grip" rule = "stupid",
given that you can also use your super-stroked putter from fairway/bunker/anywhere off the green...
but other clubs still have to have a circular grip?

14 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

I posted this question on another old thread (that was started ~2016 so might not get a reply) w.r.t. chippers & USGA rules, but would welcome comments from knowledgeable GolfWRXers!

•  

The USGA on chippers:

4-1/3

Status of a Chipper

A.A "chipper" is an iron club designed primarily for use off the putting green, generally with a loft greater than ten degrees. As most players adopt a "putting stroke" when using a chipper, there can be a tendency to design the club as if it was a putter. To eliminate confusion, the Rules which apply to "chippers" include:

• The grip must be circular in cross-section (Appendix II, 3(i)) and only one grip is permitted (Appendix II, 3(v));
  • The clubhead must be generally plain in shape (Appendix II, 4a) and have only one striking face (Appendix II, 4d); and
  • The face of the club must conform to specifications with regard to hardness, surface roughness, material and markings in the impact area (Appendix II, 5).

Would you know if the Rule on circular grips (2nd bullet-point in your list above) = still in-force? (presumably 'Yes'?)
i.e. A super-stroke putter grip (with square front) on my chipper = technically still non-conforming to the Rules of Golf?

Saw a youtube video (Link below, "Mr Short Game" experimenting with a SuperStroke grip on all manner of non-putter clubs: Driver, Irons, etc) circa Sept2020,
given that you can also use your super-stroked putter from fairway/bunker/anywhere off the green...

•  

I liked that video and agree it’s a stupid rule. You can use a putter off the tee if you want. I can use a 7 iron to put all day long if I want. Why the heck is there a weird limit on what a grip can be.

of course this gets me into the same frustration I have with the anchor ban. Both of these rules are rules for rules sake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

•  

The USGA on chippers:

4-1/3

Status of a Chipper

•  

Would love to put a Lamkin deep etched grip on my chipper. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 2:17 AM, JungleJimbo said:

WITB: I have

(a) 42* Cleveland 'C' smart sole

(b) Cleveland 49* 'D' Niblick

(c) 58* 'S' Smart Sole!

...and sometimes interchanged with

(d) Prodyn (JDM) 45* and 55* chippers 😅
http://prodyn.jp/sp/chipper.html

Awesome setup! 

How are the Prodyn chippers, are they worth the money and effort to order from Japan? How do they compare to the Clevelands? 

• Like 1

For me, the chipper doesn't waste a spot and it's definitely not the same as using a 9i. My 9i is 37" and 64* lie. My cleveland smart sole chipper is 34" and 66* lie... Way easier to put a putting stroke on and way easier sole to chip with. 

My current bag :

Driver 

4w, 16.5*

3h, 20*

Irons: 23*,26*,30*,35*,40*,45*,50*

SW vokey 56*

Smart sole S 58*

Smart sole C 42*

My Scotty Putter 

So what spot is wasted? 

If I really wanted, I could take out the Vokey SW and put in another club but I wouldn't even know what to put in? Maybe another fairway finding driver at 43.5" at 12* or a strong 3w?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

Awesome setup! 

How are the Prodyn chippers, are they worth the money and effort to order from Japan? How do they compare to the Clevelands? 

Prodyn= Awesome (and function as a Swiss Army knife... can even get backspin on well struck pitch shots )

Consider also PRGR. 
..https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r35.html

..https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r45.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Prodyn= Awesome (and function as a Swiss Army knife... can even get backspin on well struck pitch shots )

Consider also PRGR. 
..https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r35.html

..https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r45.html

I didn't realize PRGR made them too!

Seems like the JDM world is filled with many cool chipper and easier to hit wedges.

I may have to order some of these in the spring is compare and contrast to my Cleveland smart soles.

I'm a 7 HC and I love these clubs. I play with many 12-20 HCers that absolutely need this type of wedge set because they can't hit a traditional wedge for beans. Once they try these they are hooked. My brother is a 20 HC and last season bought Smart Sole 4 50* wedge and he's hooked. If you aren't spending time around the practice green every week, these designs are a God send for the average golfer. Personally, at my age, I would rather play the game than spend time practicing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

didn't realize PRGR made them too!

Seems like the JDM world is filled with many cool chipper and easier to hit wedges

One more...the PRGR r55 is a great wedge, and its topline has a good alignment feature. 

https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r55.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

One more...the PRGR r55 is a great wedge, and its topline has a good alignment feature. 

https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r55.html

What intrigues me is the 67.5* lie angle. I play my PW and GW at 36 5/8 with 65* lie so the shorter length would go perfect with the more upright lie, as my forward bend and hand position would not change a great deal (I swing single plane). I find upright wedges a lot easier to play, the strikes are more solid.

• Like 2

Here's another PRGR , a Super Egg Running Wedge at 35°

For reference only; https://shop.golfdigest.co.jp/used/f/dmg_5000518651

It looks more like a putter and was solely purchased based on looks; definitely the prettiest club in the closet.  Very cool, but I should probably move it on as I never use a chipper.

• Thanks 1

I said this in another thread and will say it again here! The chipper is awesome on full swings if you want to hit 20 foot high bullets with no spin!

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, mootrail said:

Here's another PRGR , a Super Egg Running Wedge at 35°

For reference only; https://shop.golfdigest.co.jp/used/f/dmg_5000518651

It looks more like a putter and was solely purchased based on looks; definitely the prettiest club in the closet.  Very cool, but I should probably move it on as I never use a chipper.

I find the 42-45* chippers to be a little more versatile than the lower lofted ones. I'm even tempted to try a 49* niblick if I can find one. 

I didn't realize people still used chippers!  Can't say I've ever seen one in a bag except for once at a scramble and it was a guy who golfed once a year in scrambles!

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour