Putting Help (yea I am going to be one of those guys)

Looking for some help picking a putter (ie. toe hang, shape, offset). I know getting fit is the answer and without all info the answers you guys can give is limited but I dont live close to a qualified fitter + covid has really made it very difficult for me to get in person fit. Also, I know some of you have a wealth of knowledge on these topics so I was like what the heck.

I play off of 11-13 cap. Putting is by far the worst part of my game. I have tried many different styles over the past couple of seasons. I have since got myself a Puttout matt, trainer and have a mirror.

I'm right handed. Pretty big time right eye dominant. My miss is 90% a bad push to the right. I have a tendency to come very much to the inside on my take back when my putting gets real out of sync. My distance control is decent but not great. I three-putt probably 3-4 times for a round of 82-85. I currently switched to a CS Odyssey #7 to try but again i'm open to your suggestions. 

I have some stats. my face does close a bit at impact. Keep my hands very neutral at set up. My arc goes from slight to severe (when my stroke gets the most off) 

Thank you 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure what your puttout mat is, but I used to stink at putting. I bought a sklz accelerator may and taped a sheet of paper over the larger hole with a smaller ~2-inch diameter hole cut out of it. I

Not sure how your face can close at impact and you miss right 90% of the time unless your aim is atrocious. But that's something that is hard to tell without actually seeing putts or being fit. 

I might suggest for you something with toe hang either a flow neck or plumbers neck and with full offset. This should help get the ball in a position where it's not back in your stance but being right eye dominant it looks over the eye. Alignment this I'm not sure about but probably safe to just go with a flange line. As for what exactly there is a ton out there with this setup so maybe get on eBay, buy a few used ones cheap, get on the putting mat and test.   

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

Not sure how your face can close at impact and you miss right 90% of the time unless your aim is atrocious. But that's something that is hard to tell without actually seeing putts or being fit. 

I might suggest for you something with toe hang either a flow neck or plumbers neck and with full offset. This should help get the ball in a position where it's not back in your stance but being right eye dominant it looks over the eye. Alignment this I'm not sure about but probably safe to just go with a flange line. As for what exactly there is a ton out there with this setup so maybe get on eBay, buy a few used ones cheap, get on the putting mat and test.   

Thank you! I will say that a few of my best putting rounds the past two seasons have come with a traditional plumbers neck anser style. BUT it seems like I always go real south after awhile with the plumbers neck. 

I picked up the game in 2015 and was bought a putter fitting that summer. I was fit into a TM ghost tour indy..flow neck pretty big toe hang. However, after that first season I felt as if my putting got much much worse with that set up. 

I did decide to switch to left hand low this winter and in practice I am starting to love the feel. I should have also said that my push miss increases the closer i get to the hole (which is probably mental). 

16 minutes ago, williaza said:

Thank you! I will say that a few of my best putting rounds the past two seasons have come with a traditional plumbers neck anser style. BUT it seems like I always go real south after awhile with the plumbers neck. 

I picked up the game in 2015 and was bought a putter fitting that summer. I was fit into a TM ghost tour indy..flow neck pretty big toe hang. However, after that first season I felt as if my putting got much much worse with that set up. 

I did decide to switch to left hand low this winter and in practice I am starting to love the feel. I should have also said that my push miss increases the closer i get to the hole (which is probably mental). 

If you have some really good putting results with a plumbers neck or flow neck then it goes pretty bad I'd definitely work on your putting more and maybe invest into some lessons to keep those putter issues from popping up as bad as they do. 

Lefty WITB

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

Not sure what your puttout mat is, but I used to stink at putting. I bought a sklz accelerator may and taped a sheet of paper over the larger hole with a smaller ~2-inch diameter hole cut out of it. I took hundreds of putts a day, eventually getting to the point where I could make hundreds in a row from different distances. I since have bought a perfect practice mat with the smaller and larger hole in it.

Point being, I now know that if I line the ball up and read a green properly, I know my 3- to 8-ft putt will go in the direction I aimed it because I practiced those distances so much. I dropped my handicap by 2 strokes last season all because of putting (definitely wasn’t my driving accuracy...haha). I now actually make 8-ft putts fairly often, whereas I used to never make them.

I have a bunch of different quality milled putters with different weights and toe hangs. The putter differences don’t seem to matter as much to me as an amateur golfer as practicing a ton.

Just an amateur’s 2 cents with a handicap that is now a little bit lower because of incessant indoor putting practice....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

If you have some really good putting results with a plumbers neck or flow neck then it goes pretty bad I'd definitely work on your putting more and maybe invest into some lessons to keep those putter issues from popping up as bad as they do. 

I 100% accept that I think some of the issues are my tinkering with the putter. I have taken a few putting lessons working on ball position and set up etc. I fully accept a new putter wont change my issues. I guess my reason for asking here is the past few winter/covid months I have done so much reading into different putting fitting theories and ideas which I guess i've neglected before and it has my brain working on can I find the most correct set up for myself with that information. 

40 minutes ago, williaza said:

I 100% accept that I think some of the issues are my tinkering with the putter. I have taken a few putting lessons working on ball position and set up etc. I fully accept a new putter wont change my issues. I guess my reason for asking here is the past few winter/covid months I have done so much reading into different putting fitting theories and ideas which I guess i've neglected before and it has my brain working on can I find the most correct set up for myself with that information. 

So even if you don't have a perfect setup and stroke as long as you know your flaws you can work with it. Looks at some pros, I believe Tiger aims a little extra outside and he's one of the best putters ever. Koepka sets the ball up more on the heel of his putter but hits it in the middle, he's won plenty of majors. So even if you have issues in your stroke and you put in the reps over the winter and don't have the perfect stroke if you can get the ball in or near the hole that works. 

I don't have the best stroke but I just did reps upon reps during the winter and it really improved my putting game.

Lefty WITB

Putting through gates about a foot or two away, on your target line, really helped me get rid of a slight pull. I also rigged up a cheap laser pointer (using a rubber shaft grip I had for club repair, cut off a piece and glued a laser pointer to it - snap it on the putter shaft to see where the face is actually aiming - worked a treat!). I went for a putter fitting that ended up being a putting lesson that was really informative - I thought my issue was one thing, and it totally wasn’t.  If you have the chance to get a putting lesson, I would put this above a fitting (unless you want to get fit for a weird grip/stroke/aim or whatever you struggle with)

I had a SeeMore M5 that was a centre shaft putter that was ok. They are face balanced to the path. If you like the 7 maybe try a 7s with some offset.  Putting is more about speed than line.  Just 2-3 feet from the hole coming back is good. The hole plays bigger if the speed is right too. Those 8 footers that we always expect to make....pga pros are only 50% from there....so you probably are better than you think you are