Maltby Iron Suggestions

Will be going in for an iron fitting in a few weeks. Already spoke with the fitter regarding budget. What he offers is way over that, so he won't be building me any clubs. But he's still cool with doing the fitting to get me length, lie, shaft flex, grip size, etc. squared away so I can use that information to order my own clubs. I'm 6'8", so I know I'm going to be well outside the standard specs. Pretty set on ordering from Maltby and am curious what iron heads any of you have had experience with, good or bad. I'm leaning towards the DBM's or TE's. I like the idea of a more forged blade profile versus a clunky cast cavity back. 

On the Maltby site the maximum lie adjustments they do is 2 degrees upright for custom clubs. I may need a lie adjustment more than 2 degrees upright. Does anyone know if they do more than this? Also, they don't offer all options with their shafts and grips. For instance if I wanted the Pro FST 90 (which they offer for sale individually), you can only build them with the regular FST 90. And I like Golf Pride Tour Wraps in midsize, but you can only build them with black when they have all colors available. Just curious if they work with you on things like this.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Maltby head summaries....only the M890 comes off as a clunky cavity back, so pass on that one. I've owned all the ones below.   KE4+ Tours are nice heads, but really have been surpassed b

The two degrees is CYA for them.  Their heads are nicely bendable, more than two degrees.  But you have to find someone to do it.

You will be happy with Maltby, and you won't sink thousands into it...and I am 6'4 (not quite 6'8) and just went through what you are asking about   I was ready to buy a new set of irons so

Posted Images

I have several Maltby heads but their shop would not bend anything past two degrees up or down; I play three degrees upright.

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 w/Ping CB Alta S
Ping G410 5 Wood set to 16* w/Ping Alta R

Ping G410 5-U, Steelfiber I95R  
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 54* w/AWT 115
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 58* w/KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Odyssey  330M Black 

Does anyone else think the TE/DBM launch being high maybe has become more a legend than reality?

I've hit a few different irons using the original Mevo not that far apart time wise and I'm not seeing it.

TE forged w/taper tip DG R300

STi2 w/Maltby MPF S

MP4 w/XP 105 R300

0211 w/MMT 80S

TE 5 iron (bent to 28*) vs STi2 6 iron (28*): TE 1.2 degrees lower, TE 1.9 mph more ball speed

TE 6 iron (bent to 32*) vs 0211 7 iron (31* stock): TE 1.5 degrees lower, 0211 1.8 mph more ball speed

TE 7 iron (bent to 36*) vs MP4 7 iron (34* stock): TE 1.2 degrees lower, TE 0.2 mph more ball speed

I'm sure part of it is the DG, but I'm not a late release guy.  The TE is easy to launch there's no doubt about that.  I'm not finding a balloon type flight or anything like that though.  My eyes aren't the greatest, but visually I can't see anything in it either.  

Dave

• Like 1
6 hours ago, BogeyParBogey said:

Does anyone else think the TE/DBM launch being high maybe has become more a legend than reality?

I've hit a few different irons using the original Mevo not that far apart time wise and I'm not seeing it.

TE forged w/taper tip DG R300

STi2 w/Maltby MPF S

MP4 w/XP 105 R300

0211 w/MMT 80S

TE 5 iron (bent to 28*) vs STi2 6 iron (28*): TE 1.2 degrees lower, TE 1.9 mph more ball speed

TE 6 iron (bent to 32*) vs 0211 7 iron (31* stock): TE 1.5 degrees lower, 0211 1.8 mph more ball speed

TE 7 iron (bent to 36*) vs MP4 7 iron (34* stock): TE 1.2 degrees lower, TE 0.2 mph more ball speed

I'm sure part of it is the DG, but I'm not a late release guy.  The TE is easy to launch there's no doubt about that.  I'm not finding a balloon type flight or anything like that though.  My eyes aren't the greatest, but visually I can't see anything in it either.  

Dave

Really interesting numbers!

You’re right in that it is almost a knee-jerk statement whenever these irons are mentioned. 

I’ve had the DBM Forged for 2 years now (stock lofts) and they are launching high for me with X100‘s. It’s mostly a beautiful high ballflight that I enjoy for it‘s stopping power, but not so much in high winds. It’s really noticeable for me. And I came from MP-33 w/S300‘s, which are 1-2 degrees weaker (but have a higher VCOG).

I think part of the „problem“ is my flippy swing, and for others, the low bounce and pretty sharp leading edge- even if you’re able to de-loft them at impact, they start digging. 

But to be clear: these are great irons! I first had a 6i of the TE Forged and yes, it feels softer, but the DBM finish looks so good, I had to have those. 

Maybe @Popeye64 can chime in, he’s a Maltby expert and raved about the ST-2. 

• Like 2

@BigTerp1524 From another thread, I know you're going through a swing change.  Between that and your height, I would steer clear of the DBM and any Maltby wedges with a DBM finish.

Seeing your video on the other thread, I am surprised by the mention of the FST 90.   If that's a good weight for you, you may wish to consider graphite, maybe the Maltby MPF Pro Graphite.  In stiff, they run 86g.  I've tried the driver in regular flex and it plays stiffer than some stiff shafts I've swung, and comments suggest the iron shafts play stiff to flex as well.  It's not a custom option on their site.

At your height and specs, you might want to have your fitter assemble a test club for you first, and tweak length and lie on that club before ordering the full set.      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, games said:

@BigTerp1524 From another thread, I know you're going through a swing change.  Between that and your height, I would steer clear of the DBM and any Maltby wedges with a DBM finish.

Seeing your video on the other thread, I am surprised by the mention of the FST 90.   If that's a good weight for you, you may wish to consider graphite, maybe the Maltby MPF Pro Graphite.  In stiff, they run 86g.  I've tried the driver in regular flex and it plays stiffer than some stiff shafts I've swung, and comments suggest the iron shafts play stiff to flex as well.  It's not a custom option on their site.

At your height and specs, you might want to have your fitter assemble a test club for you first, and tweak length and lie on that club before ordering the full set.      

Thanks!! What specifically makes you suggest I stay away from the DBM finish? 

The FST 90 was probably a bad example, it was just the first one that popped up under the custom build tab when I was messing around. Not only weight, but it looks like it doesn't come in stiff flex. Depending on the length I end up with I MAY even need X-stiff. Just a bad example on my part. I just wanted to figure out if Maltby limited their custom options. 

Swing changes are coming along. I've got another 6 weeks to work through them. Spoke further with my fitter last night and he's fully on board with what I'm wanting to do and understanding that I'll be ordering clubs elsewhere. Pretty excited to go in and see what he will come up with. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and will be looking for further advice after my fitting. This forum has been GREAT, so I'm sure you guys will steer me in the right direction.

The black DBM finish makes the head more brittle than a regular chrome finish.  Lots of breakage during bending on the early rollout of heads with that finish.  If you decide to go forged cavity back the TE would be a safer bet.  Realize though that the design is low bounce.  Not ideal if you take big divots.  

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

1 hour ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Thanks!! What specifically makes you suggest I stay away from the DBM finish? 

@Nessism nailed it.  The DBM finish limits ability to bend lie angles, which you're probably going to need.  The DBM irons are the TE Forged model with DBM coating.

If I were you, I would WANT a local fitter to customize them for you.  I think you may have problems getting Maltby to bend more than 2* although don't be bashful about asking them!  (Telling them about your height might help.) 

I love new clubs.  But, one piece of equipment you might want to consider before clubs is a Fiberbuilt impact mat for indoor practice.  The Fiberbuilt will allow you to keep a "natural" swing and not condition you to be overly shallow, "pick" the ball, or otherwise get "alligator arms" to avoid impact to elbows and shoulders. 

Finally, for a lot of players, I think swing improvements usually (not always) result in changing angle of attack and de-lofting the clubface.  You might want to ingrain the changes, then go shopping!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, games said:

@Nessism nailed it.  The DBM finish limits ability to bend lie angles, which you're probably going to need.  The DBM irons are the TE Forged model with DBM coating.

If I were you, I would WANT a local fitter to customize them for you.  I think you may have problems getting Maltby to bend more than 2* although don't be bashful about asking them!  (Telling them about your height might help.) 

I love new clubs.  But, one piece of equipment you might want to consider before clubs is a Fiberbuilt impact mat for indoor practice.  The Fiberbuilt will allow you to keep a "natural" swing and not condition you to be overly shallow, "pick" the ball, or otherwise get "alligator arms" to avoid impact to elbows and shoulders. 

Finally, for a lot of players, I think swing improvements usually (not always) result in changing angle of attack and de-lofting the clubface.  You might want to ingrain the changes, then go shopping!

Thanks!!

Yeah, the polan is to continue working on my swing for the next 6 weeks. Hopefully I'll have something fairly consistent by then which will only help with my fitting. I'll also discuss Maltby with my fitter. I would imagine he's educated on them and can provide some advice. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, BogeyParBogey said:

It depends on where we tend to strike the ball vertically on the face.  Think of the COG as the precise point of the sweet-spot.  Someone who tends to have an impact pattern that is a groove or so higher on the face, will drive the COG further under the center of the ball, which all else equal will produce higher launch and spin.

For someone who doesn't hit it higher on the face and/or can tend to miss a little "thin" or lower on the strike (most players from normal lies), a lower Actual Vertical COG design will be easier to hit and feel more solid...and produce a good flight

• Like 1

As others have stated the DBM will not be able to be bent to your needs. The TE should be able to bent easily to 3°. But you have to understand that bending any iron to that extent can cause damage to the chrome. Its why GW limits bending to 2°. The current DBM head is a finish that soaks into the metal bonding on a molecular level making it much more wear resistant but also brittle. 

There are new variations of the DBM process that is being released this year that will allow the latest heads to be bent.. huge plus. They have also been experimenting with different combinations of forged steel as not all types of steel act the same way. They have found some accept the DBM process yet stay pliable enough to bend. 

As for my thoughts on the TE/DBM launching higher. The extremely low COG does help to a good extent at launching the ball. This low COG helps a player with a sweeping swing. A digger on the other hand usually finds that low COG and (TE), its sharp leading edge a draw back. Leaving them with an iron head that may launch too high. Myself included. 

Maltbys latest designs have done away with the sharp leading edge and now have a 4 way radiused sole that is super turf friendly. 

To the OP... enjoy your fitting and go with an open mind. You may be quite surprised at a head that works for you that you had not considered.

GW now has the "Custom Shop" which is exactly that.. They will build any combination you want. Plus their fees are shockingly low for what they offer.

As a side note. Britt says they now sell more built sets than loose components for the first time ever. He also said he could hire 5 club builders tomorrow and they would all be swamped with work. 

• Like 3

@Popeye64 I know you're a fitter/builder that regularly works with Maltby components.

@BigTerp1524, the OP, is 6'8".  Given his specs, do you have any thoughts on how the OP should approach ordering irons from Maltby?  Should he just get fit and buy a full set built by Maltby?  Order a test club first?

Edited by games
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, games said:

@Popeye64 I know you're a fitter/builder that regularly works with Maltby components.

The OP is 6'8".  Given his specs, do you have any thoughts on how the OP should approach ordering irons from Maltby?  Should he just get fit and buy a full set built by Maltby?  Order a test club first?

The super tall golfer is always the hardest to fit. With out counterbalanced clubs swing weights can get extremely high. It's always some sort of compromise. 

A demo club would certainly be in order along with patience as it may take some tinkering to get him comfortable.

If he was going to do the Custom Shop at Golfworks I would probably call Jim Y first and see what he says. 

If he has a local fitter hopefully he can sort him out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@games and @Popeye64 thanks for all the information!!

I do have a local fitter that I'll be working with in a few weeks. He fully understands my plan, so we'll see what I come away with after the fitting. 

I have several concerns/questions on ordering custom clubs, especially considering my height. @Popeye64 hit on one of those, which is ridiculous swing weights. Another is length across the set. If I come away comfortable with say +1.5" in a 7 iron, am I really going to want a 40.5" 4 iron? Seems like I'll run into the swingweight issue, but could also end up with clubs that are unwieldly, especially in the long irons. I've been doing a bit of reading on graduating the + length increase. Something like 1/2" in the long irons, 1" in the mid and the full 1.5" in the short. This is just for discussion, as I need to get fitted to find what's comfortable. But is something like that recommended when the length is getting pretty long compared to standard?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

@games and @Popeye64 thanks for all the information!!

I do have a local fitter that I'll be working with in a few weeks. He fully understands my plan, so we'll see what I come away with after the fitting. 

I have several concerns/questions on ordering custom clubs, especially considering my height. @Popeye64 hit on one of those, which is ridiculous swing weights. Another is length across the set. If I come away comfortable with say +1.5" in a 7 iron, am I really going to want a 40.5" 4 iron? Seems like I'll run into the swingweight issue, but could also end up with clubs that are unwieldly, especially in the long irons. I've been doing a bit of reading on graduating the + length increase. Something like 1/2" in the long irons, 1" in the mid and the full 1.5" in the short. This is just for discussion, as I need to get fitted to find what's comfortable. But is something like that recommended when the length is getting pretty long compared to standard?

That is part of the trial and error that is needed for a golfer as yourself. Let's just see what works. 

I came across a very tall young golfer at the range and I immediately noticed how long his iron were. A 'fitter' had him 2" over with his 4 iron from standard. He ofcourse was struggling with consistency. I handed him a 4 iron that was a half inch over. He was immediately striping it. 

You may certainly like your short irons on the long side. That seems to be a trend with taller golfers that I have seen. Keeping them from being hunched over, with the short irons. Keeping longer lengths. Adjusting lie as needed.  

Another set I built for a customer, 6'-3", at customers request they all be built 1/2" longer than standard, graphite shafts. He came back a week later and we shortened the 4-6 iron to standard graphite length. He was quite happy where everything else was.  So yes I have seen a trend on the long irons to be not as long. But every player is different. You have to keep an open mind and it may be a process. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One shaft alternative ($$) might be to work with something like a True Temper AMT where the shaft weights decrease as lengths increase.  A set of AMT shafts will include "subsets" where the long iron subset of shafts will have a slightly lower kickpoint to promote a higher trajectory.  At the other end, the short-iron/wedge shaft subset will have a higher kickpoint to produce a lower flight in the wedges.  If you think you might want to vary lengths within subsets, a shaft set like the AMT might benefit you from both length and weight perspectives. 

Adding:  I always say that someday when I get good, I'm going to pull my set of Maltby MMB Black with AMT shafts out of the closet!  Best looking head Maltby has ever made.

Edited by games
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, games said:

One shaft alternative ($$) might be to work with something like a True Temper AMT where the shaft weights decrease as lengths increase.  A set of AMT shafts will include "subsets" where the long iron subset of shafts will have a slightly lower kickpoint to promote a higher trajectory.  At the other end, the short-iron/wedge shaft subset will have a higher kickpoint to produce a lower flight in the wedges.  If you think you might want to vary lengths within subsets, a shaft set like the AMT might benefit you from both length and weight perspectives. 

Adding:  I always say that someday when I get good, I'm going to pull my set of Maltby MMB Black with AMT shafts out of the closet!  Best looking head Maltby has ever 

A side track... If Maltby made an MMB Black with the new 4 way sole ill never swing another club. The sharper leading edge of the MMBs was tough on me but I was obsessed with those irons. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

That is part of the trial and error that is needed for a golfer as yourself. Let's just see what works. 

I came across a very tall young golfer at the range and I immediately noticed how long his iron were. A 'fitter' had him 2" over with his 4 iron from standard. He ofcourse was struggling with consistency. I handed him a 4 iron that was a half inch over. He was immediately striping it. 

You may certainly like your short irons on the long side. That seems to be a trend with taller golfers that I have seen. Keeping them from being hunched over, with the short irons. Keeping longer lengths. Adjusting lie as needed.  

Another set I built for a customer, 6'-3", at customers request they all be built 1/2" longer than standard, graphite shafts. He came back a week later and we shortened the 4-6 iron to standard graphite length. He was quite happy where everything else was.  So yes I have seen a trend on the long irons to be not as long. But every player is different. You have to keep an open mind and it may be a process. 

Thanks!! Just now realized that having different lengths as described, would effect the lie adjustments needed. Something I'll have to keep in mind. 

FWIW, the attached picture is of me at address with a standard length 7i. I'm totally comfortable here, but I've also only ever played with standard length and have been working on my swing a LOT the last few weeks with mostly the 7i. Repetition equaling comfort, I presume. I'll definitely have to see how it feels with some extra length there, which is where the fitting will come in. But to my eyes, I'm for sure a bit hunched over, and with 8i, 9i, etc., obviously gets more drastic.

Screenshot_20210125-125727.png

• Like 1

Yup, you're too hunched over.  The ultimate way to judge this is with a wedge in your hands since it's the shortest club in the bag.

I'd give +1/2" a try.

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

A side track... If Maltby made an MMB Black with the new 4 way sole ill never swing another club. The sharper leading edge of the MMBs was tough on me but I was obsessed with those irons. 

How about a MMB with LESS (or zero) offset and a shorter blade length!! I couldn't understand why the MMB has more offset than the TE and is the same size as the TS-1. 

Edited by mgoblue83