Srixon ZX5 to ZX7

ndisanti24

For those lucky enough to have hit both, is it worth splitting the set at 8i? e.g. 4-7 in 5x and 8-W in 7x? I am mostly worried about the stronger lofts in the 8-P 5x blending with a 50 degree wedge. I love and need the help of the 5's but with ball speed and stronger lofts will they leave a gap? I need the help of the 5's but am  hoping I can manage the 7's at the very bottom. Thoughts?

M5 CK Orange

Epic Flash Sub0 CK Blue

M6 Rescue 19 degree

Srixon ZX5 Modus 105x

Zipcore T 50-56-60

44 minutes ago, ndisanti24 said:

For those lucky enough to have hit both, is it worth splitting the set at 8i? e.g. 4-7 in 5x and 8-W in 7x? I am mostly worried about the stronger lofts in the 8-P 5x blending with a 50 degree wedge. I love and need the help of the 5's but with ball speed and stronger lofts will they leave a gap? I need the help of the 5's but am  hoping I can manage the 7's at the very bottom. Thoughts?

is your handicap going up/down/stable?

if you are an improving ball striker, i'd go zx7 8-w. You aren't giving up as much forgiveness as you think in those lofts, and the feel and consistency is improved.  

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

You can order ZX5 according to the specs you want. For example you can custom order ZX5s in ZX7's lofts for the whole set if you want the help of ZX5.

If you want to split, you can adjust the loft of ZX5 accordingly.

I would personally split 4-6 ZX5 and 7-PW ZX7.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

2 hours ago, bombs said:

Play a full set of ZX7's. Ridiculously forgiving. 

The long irons in the ZX5's also look pretty bad at address with the massive cavity sticking out.

Currently gaming Mp18 MMC and really looking for help in the longer irons which is inspiring the change. Playing off 13 but I’m a decent ball striker I lose strokes on and near the green. I need something to help me get the longer irons to launch higher and a few more yards. Also working on swing speed so hopefully it will all come together.

M5 CK Orange

Epic Flash Sub0 CK Blue

M6 Rescue 19 degree

Srixon ZX5 Modus 105x

Zipcore T 50-56-60

6 hours ago, mikewohlwend said:

I know this doesn't relate since they are older models. But I tried a mixed set like you are talking about the the 565/765. I could hit my 4-7 in the 765's better than the 565's

I have read this several times now. Was it the wide soles of the 565's that gave you problems? Or just the look and feel of the 765's that appealed more? 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

If there is any difference in ‘forgiveness’ between the ZX5 and ZX7 you would need some fairly precision instruments to find it.  For all intents and purposes, they are the same and by that point in the set they look the same from address as well.

There is difference in launch angle and spin.  A bit more launch and less spin per loft for the ZX5.

Does that difference matter to you in the 35/36 degree range?  For most people it is not likely to matter but only you can answer that question for your swing.

• Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

I did demo both new irons (inside).  I'm coming from a combo set of 5 iron in the 585, 6-pw in the 785.  I'm a twelve hcp. and I did not think that the 785 were that hard to hit, but definitely off center hits were punished  in my yardages.  The 585 was a little clicky for me and really loved the sound and feel of the 785's, but that 585 seemed like I could hit it anywhere on the face and would pretty much go my yardage.

In testing the new ZX5 and ZX7, for me the off center hits on the ZX7 were punished more than the 785's. The 7's have an almost blade like feel with a center strike, and really can tell when you miss the center.  The ZX5's sound and feel better than the 585's.  Very explosive feeling, a tiny bit clicky, but know way near the 585's.  I had on average 400 rpm's less with the ZX5 than the ZX7's but the launch was higher on the 5's and my descent angle was greater, so almost a wash for stopping power.  The 5's are 1* stronger, but I hit them almost a club longer I'm assuming  do to a greater launch and a little less spin.  Getting up there in age and loosing some speed these days, I opted for a full set of the ZX5's.  Been saying for a couple years now that at some point I might have to give up some feel and sound for better playability.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

I contemplated going ZX-5 in 5-7 and 8-AW in ZX7 but I know I don't do well with chunky wider soled irons so I went a full set of ZX-7.  They get delivered

this coming week so I'm like a kid before Christmas.   

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

16 minutes ago, Tzoid said:

I contemplated going ZX-5 in 5-7 and 8-AW in ZX7 but I know I don't do well with chunky wider soled irons so I went a full set of ZX-7.  They get delivered

this coming week so I'm like a kid before Christmas.   

Even though the ZX5 soles are a little large, they don't play that large because of the V-sole

• Like 1

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

3 minutes ago, dalillama47 said:

Even though the ZX5 soles are a little large, they don't play that large because of the V-sole

I imagine that helps but it's all personal preference with attack angle .   The photo shows what I like and have been playing for 5 years.  

Another Endo forged masterpiece 🙂 

onoff- 5 iron.jpg

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

16 hours ago, Tzoid said:

I imagine that helps but it's all personal preference with attack angle .   The photo shows what I like and have been playing for 5 years.  

Another Endo forged masterpiece 🙂 

onoff- 5 iron.jpg

Those Onoff's look awesome.  I always remember you commenting on them and at one time I was certain I was going to get a set when I was into JDM stuff...  Love that beveled leading edge.

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

So a few of you please help me out here.   I am so old that when I started playing there weren’t anything called game improvement, only blades.  So I favor blade like irons.  I have since enjoyed P790, and PXG 311 P.   Question is I hit the 921F and really liked them off artificial.  Want to try the ZX5’s and ZX7’s. Wondering just how much forgiveness and distance I will give up over the 5’s if I go 7’s. Seems to be a lot of folks on both sides of this issue. 

1 hour ago, Micrys2 said:

So a few of you please help me out here.   I am so old that when I started playing there weren’t anything called game improvement, only blades.  So I favor blade like irons.  I have since enjoyed P790, and PXG 311 P.   Question is I hit the 921F and really liked them off artificial.  Want to try the ZX5’s and ZX7’s. Wondering just how much forgiveness and distance I will give up over the 5’s if I go 7’s. Seems to be a lot of folks on both sides of this issue. 

It looks like small differences that gradually widen throughout the bag, but never really more than a couple mph of ball speed, a degree in launch and a few hundred revs of spin. I think TXG had similar findings, but marks’s speeds are probably more relatable.

• Like 1

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

On 1/23/2021 at 1:37 PM, kiwihacker said:

I have read this several times now. Was it the wide soles of the 565's that gave you problems? Or just the look and feel of the 765's that appealed more? 

I have no clue what gave me the problems with them.  Looks wise I don't really notice a difference.  I just can't hit them as well as the 765's.  I also have a U65 3 iron that makes up the combo set.  I can hit it great.  Just struggle with the 565's.

may be a bit different, but coming from t100s and I am going to use the zx utilities at the top with the zx7.  I have zx7 4-pw and the zx7 4 is much easier to hit than the t100s...I went to test the zx utility 3 because I felt my zu85 sole is a bit too wide to hit out of the rough...hit both and they were so easy to launch and feel was great.  Wasn't even thinking about replacing the 4 but it was much more forgiving than the zx7.  I am now looking to get both utilities and play 5-pw through zx7.  if you get a chance to hit the zx utilities I strongly suggest it.  So easy to launch with distance and impressive that they scaled down the size of the club.  Looks good with the zx7s too.  

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

I'm a 7 and have a full set of the 5's.  They're great clubs so far.  I struggle with launch, wanted more distance and feel not a priority as the 5's (they're close to my i210s).  Some people have posted about dispersion being better with the 7's vs. 5's but i have no issue with the 5's.   They do seem better than my i210's.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TravAz said:

It looks like small differences that gradually widen throughout the bag, but never really more than a couple mph of ball speed, a degree in launch and a few hundred revs of spin. I think TXG had similar findings, but marks’s speeds are probably more relatable.

Thanks for posting...great video! I was trying to figure out what the difference is between the ZX5 and the ZX7, and this video explains it well.

So to clarify for those of you who have tested both, the 5’s are higher launch, lower spin, more forgiving, and have a wider sole? And the 7’s are lower launch, higher spin, more workable, and more of a blade shape with narrower sole?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I'm a long-time Srixon iron fan currently playing the 765's 5-pw. Before that I used a set of i506's for many years. 

I find these clubs to be plenty forgiving for my 11-12 handicap. They aren't LONG by any means, but they aren't anything like butterknife blades of yore. 

The Maltby Playability numbers barely vary between the 765 and 565, or between the 785 and 585. I think they're mainly trying to fine-tune the flight and the look that players prefer. None of these are considered "game improvement" irons. They're more similar than different. 

All that said I just ordered a 5 and 6 iron in the old Z 355, which is a more forgiving cast/undercut cavity club with the same sole design as my 765's. I hit those clubs very rarely, but when I do I want as much distance forgiveness as possible. I doubt there's a ton of directional forgiveness, honestly. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

8 hours ago, BeyondVision said:

may be a bit different, but coming from t100s and I am going to use the zx utilities at the top with the zx7.  I have zx7 4-pw and the zx7 4 is much easier to hit than the t100s...I went to test the zx utility 3 because I felt my zu85 sole is a bit too wide to hit out of the rough...hit both and they were so easy to launch and feel was great.  Wasn't even thinking about replacing the 4 but it was much more forgiving than the zx7.  I am now looking to get both utilities and play 5-pw through zx7.  if you get a chance to hit the zx utilities I strongly suggest it.  So easy to launch with distance and impressive that they scaled down the size of the club.  Looks good with the zx7s too.  

I'm a 745 player - but figured to share my experience on the 4i spot.

I've played my 745's from 4-pw and never had any issues hitting them even in the long irons.   I agree they are very easy to hit.  My biggest issue has been I don't always get the distance I'm looking for out of the 4 iron, particularly into the wind.  Trajectory / launch fine, I can hit it plenty high, but it just doesn't provide enough of a difference over the 745 5 iron to justify a spot.  Launch monitor it looks great, on course w/ wind I don't seem to get the same outta it.

So I experimented with the U45 4iron (23 degree) in that spot and found it launched higher and was a breeze to hit, but I still wasn't getting much more out of it than the 5 iron.

Finally, I found a 545 4 iron and it seems to be just the ticket.  It definitely has an extra gear that the 745 and U45 don't in that spot, mainly due to spin reduction in my opinion.  It is HOT, when you step on it you can squeek an extra 5-10 yards easily.

Transitions perfectly to my U45 2i as well.  

Highly recommend trying blending the zx5 to utility rather than straight zx7 to utility 

On 1/22/2021 at 2:26 PM, ndisanti24 said:

I'm in the same boat, really want to try these but not sure where to split.  I have the 585s in 4 and 5, and 785s in 6-W.  I get really punished on mishits with the 785, but love the feel and control on good hits.  

1 hour ago, ejcrossl said:

I'm in the same boat, really want to try these but not sure where to split.  I have the 585s in 4 and 5, and 785s in 6-W.  I get really punished on mishits with the 785, but love the feel and control on good hits.  

I’m leaning towards ordering a whole set of 5’s and bending them a degree weak to get the the lofts I want

• Like 2

M5 CK Orange

Epic Flash Sub0 CK Blue

M6 Rescue 19 degree

Srixon ZX5 Modus 105x

Zipcore T 50-56-60

10 hours ago, DG Tiger said:

Guys,

My Ping i500 irons got stolen from my Tesla couple of weeks ago so I'm looking to re-tool! I'm a 12 handicapper & looking at Srixon ZX5. Any recommendations feedback greatly appreciated. My pings were white dot 3up & inch longer. 

Cheers,

DG

Sorry to hear about your i500, that is terrible luck. I would suggest looking at TXG's review, they test the entire ZX line, and give some really good feedback, in my opinion. Video is linked below. 

• Like 1

Ping G410+ 9.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x

Taylormade Sim Max 15* - Accra TZ6 M4 75 

Titleist TS2 20* - Accra TZ6 M4 85

Taylormade P760 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0

Vokey SM8 - 50* 54* 58*

Taylormade Spider X - 34.75"

Bridgestone Tour B X.

So many mixed messages out on these.  Some are saying the Zx7 is just as forgiving as the Zx5.  Others are saying they are very punishing on mishits.  I believe the punishing part based on my experience with 785s.  I'm definitely looking fwd to comparing the Zx5s to P770s which were my best latest launch irons.  

• Like 1

From my view:

If you not already done so, make sure that you test the vsole on grass not just mats.  They were fine for me during an indoor fitting but outside on grass, they just did not go through the turf well for me.

Already mentioned but the measured differences MOI by Golfworks on the 585/785 and the 565/765 are pretty miniscule.  No numbers yet but reasonable to assume that would apply to this range as well.

I'm not a very high spin player and both the 5 and 7 series (including the current line) have not been a great fit for me (but no doubt would be for many on here as evidenced in the comments).  They were at the bottom spin wise in my fitting versus other comparable irons.

• Like 2