• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Play a full set of ZX7's. Ridiculously forgiving.    The long irons in the ZX5's also look pretty bad at address with the massive cavity sticking out.    

You can order ZX5 according to the specs you want. For example you can custom order ZX5s in ZX7's lofts for the whole set if you want the help of ZX5.   If you want to split, you can adjust

These finally got the best of me and I ordered a set.. 

Posted Images

On 1/25/2021 at 2:40 PM, ejcrossl said:

I'm in the same boat, really want to try these but not sure where to split.  I have the 585s in 4 and 5, and 785s in 6-W.  I get really punished on mishits with the 785, but love the feel and control on good hits.  

For me, my 7-iron is a scoring club and would want the ZX7 for control, so I'd make the split between the 6 & 7.

On 1/23/2021 at 12:27 PM, Aviador Naval said:

If there is any difference in ‘forgiveness’ between the ZX5 and ZX7 you would need some fairly precision instruments to find it.  For all intents and purposes, they are the same and by that point in the set they look the same from address as well.

There is difference in launch angle and spin.  A bit more launch and less spin per loft for the ZX5.

Does that difference matter to you in the 35/36 degree range?  For most people it is not likely to matter but only you can answer that question for your swing.

When I hit them, the 5 seemed a little harsher at impact. This, to me, suggests that it has a bigger, more forgiving sweetspot. But perhaps not as pure of a result that you'd get on a perfectly centered shot that you might get from the 7.

2 hours ago, TTCarrera said:

For me, my 7-iron is a scoring club and would want the ZX7 for control, so I'd make the split between the 6 & 7.

For me 7 is definitely a scoring club too but my 7 iron is 35° versus the ZX 5 and 7 being 31° and 32° respectively which is my 6 iron.

So I'm really confused about where to split the set. 

I only want 5-PW so it's either 5-7 in the 5 and 8-PW in the 7

or 5-6 in the 5 and 7-PW in the 7.

I suppose if I'm really on the fence I could just buy two 7 irons and swap them out depending how confident I'm feeling or which setup suits me better. LOL 

Edited by kiwihacker
  • Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I had a split set of the Z785 and 585. I played 585 in 4-6 and 785 in 7-PW (I also had the 6 iron in 785 because I didn't know where I wanted to split them. I ordered a split set of the ZX5 and ZX7. I ordered the ZX7 one degree strong to match the lofts of ZX5's (I did the same last time, then adjusted the lofts myself to get the correct gapping). After hitting these, I ended up get the ZX7 4-6 irons and will replace the ZX5s because I found the 7's so forgiving. 

• Like 1

I went to PGA superstore yesterday after being fit for the ZX irons(c-taper) and hit the 7,6, and 5 in both sets to try to find a place to split it. I hate only fitting with a 6 or 7 and this is a good way to test some different lofts. They didn’t have all the lofts in the fitting shafts obviously, but they had the whole set with Nippon 120’s which worked for this experiment. 

I settled on splitting at the 6. The 5 and 6 in the ZX 5 are a little clicky, but nothing too bad that would put me off. I did order the zx5 1* weak to help with some spin and shorten up the carry. 

I’m a 8hdcp and strike my irons pretty well. I could have easily gamed the 6 in either club, but just like the idea of having my 6 a little more forgiving. I also love having a HOT 5i in the bag to close my gap between my 4i UT. The ZX 4 UT carries about 220, so I need my 5 to carry 205, and the ZX5 did just that. 

However you split them, they’re fantastic clubs. 

Edited by Ryan19jwu

I’m a plus handicap and recently ordered the combo set that’s “pre-packaged” on Srixons website. Zx5 4-6, zx7 7-pw. For a few reason: first, for whatever reason it was cheaper than doing the 6-pw in zx7 then ordering separate zx5 4 and 5 irons, normally when I’m hitting a 6i it’s usually into a par 5 or a long par 3 so a little more height is never bad, honestly the 6i is probably the least hit club in my bag and if I absolutely hate I can order a zx7 6i. I just don’t think that will be the case. I also ordered the 5 and 6 one degree weak. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 14.5 Ventus Blue 7x
Ping G410 19H Tensei Blue TX
TBD

Cleveland Zipcore 52MID/56LOW/60MID

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Stealh, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

11 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

I’m a plus handicap and recently ordered the combo set that’s “pre-packaged” on Srixons website. Zx5 4-6, zx7 7-pw. For a few reason: first, for whatever reason it was cheaper than doing the 6-pw in zx7 then ordering separate zx5 4 and 5 irons, normally when I’m hitting a 6i it’s usually into a par 5 or a long par 3 so a little more height is never bad, honestly the 6i is probably the least hit club in my bag and if I absolutely hate I can order a zx7 6i. I just don’t think that will be the case. I also ordered the 5 and 6 one degree weak. 

Yes. Par 5's and Par3's. The hotter and higher the better!

3 hours ago, bombs said:

ZX7 full set. All day.

ZX5 feel is not great. Long irons have huge sole and cavity.

I keep reading this which is totally keeping me from ordering a set. Where I am in my ball striking I would only get he ZX5 (just not consistent for the ZX7) but reading more and more about how clicky there are. Bummer because the ZX5s look amazing to my eyes. 

Cobra Speedzone Extreme HZRDUS T1100 75 6.5
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 16* Rouge Silver 70
Adams Red Hybrid 18*/20* Matrix Altus Tour
Callaway Rogue Pro 5-AW KBS Tour V110 Steel
Cleveland Niblick 42"/Don White 56*
Bobby Grace F-18

15 minutes ago, dixiethunder said:

I keep reading this which is totally keeping me from ordering a set. Where I am in my ball striking I would only get he ZX5 (just not consistent for the ZX7) but reading more and more about how clicky there are. Bummer because the ZX5s look amazing to my eyes. 

Go hit them. For the category they’re in, I don’t think they sound or feel bad at all. If you’re hitting them side by side with the zx7, then of course they don’t feel as good. 

if you hit them side by side with other irons in that category they might be better. Besides, feel is entirely subjective. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Since so many are asking, from least forgiving to most forgiving.

NOTE: If you put a bad swing, none of them will be good for you... Go get some lessons.

1. Z Forged

2. ZX7

3. Z785

4. Z585

5. ZX5

6. ZX Utility

7. ZX Hybrid

Just checking on 2 and 3 - I guess the ZX7 don’t have much tungsten, but they have more than the z785 (which have none).  It’s probably a toss-up, but I would probably flip them.

1 minute ago, lordemsworth said:

Just checking on 2 and 3 - I guess the ZX7 don’t have much tungsten, but they have more than the z785 (which have none).  It’s probably a toss-up, but I would probably flip them.

This list is coming from my personal experience so not a definitive list. My previous clubs were Z785 and on paper ZX7 is supposed to be more forgiving due to the Tungsten. But when I brought Z785 to test side by side with ZX7, Z785s were more forgiving probably it is slightly thicker (topline and sole). 

7 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

This list is coming from my personal experience so not a definitive list. My previous clubs were Z785 and on paper ZX7 is supposed to be more forgiving due to the Tungsten. But when I brought Z785 to test side by side with ZX7, Z785s were more forgiving probably it is slightly thicker (topline and sole). 

Ah - experience trumps everything.  Out of curiosity - is the z785 more forgiving off the toe or thin strikes?

45 minutes ago, dixiethunder said:

I'm coming from a set of tour stage Bridgestones 909 x blades and purchased the X7's but I did manage to hit the 4 iron in the x5 and it sounded fine to me ,ball fly's off the face I didn't find them harsh or click'y at all, that said my fitter had lent out the X7 demo that he had so I didn't get to hit the X7 at all I'm buying on the blind , I wouldn't worry about the sound of the X5 at all if I where you , you can get a great discount here from some of the members .

10 minutes ago, alpineto said:

I'm coming from a set of tour stage Bridgestones 909 x blades and purchased the X7's but I did manage to hit the 4 iron in the x5 and it sounded fine to me ,ball fly's off the face I didn't find them harsh or click'y at all, that said my fitter had lent out the X7 demo that he had so I didn't get to hit the X7 at all I'm buying on the blind , I wouldn't worry about the sound of the X5 at all if I where you , you can get a great discount here from some of the members .

You probably got a great deal didn’t you?

On 1/27/2021 at 10:42 AM, ejcrossl said:

So many mixed messages out on these.  Some are saying the Zx7 is just as forgiving as the Zx5.  Others are saying they are very punishing on mishits.  I believe the punishing part based on my experience with 785s.  I'm definitely looking fwd to comparing the Zx5s to P770s which were my best latest launch irons.  

In the TXG video posted above, Matt specifically says he would absolutely do a combo set with ZX5s in the long irons. I'll take his word over a bunch of WRX'ers any day. In fact, I did. When a combo set with my exact specs popped up on BST, I was all over them. 5-6 ZX5 and 7-PW ZX7, and couldn't be happier. I will probably need to do a trackman gapping session and have the loft's 100% dialed in, but I honestly don't even think about it from address - they blend so well I can just play golf.

• Like 1

Handicap (Arccos calculated):  4.7

Current Bag:
Big Dog: Cobra SZ Pars\Stripes, Ventus Blue 6s

FW: Ole Blue

Hybrids: TM 2 Rescue, Cobra f7 
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: TM EF 50, PM Grind 58\64

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: TP5x for now

1 hour ago, Champ2430 said:

I saw Shane Lowry had the zx5 in the 4 and 5 iron. That says a lot to me if you’re still thinking about the zx5 being too big or clicky. 

Great point and thanks to everyone on here for chiming in. The ZX5 are at the top of my list to demo when I get the chance, if they work out, I'm going to have to track down a member here that may be able to help me get a deal

Cobra Speedzone Extreme HZRDUS T1100 75 6.5
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 16* Rouge Silver 70
Adams Red Hybrid 18*/20* Matrix Altus Tour
Callaway Rogue Pro 5-AW KBS Tour V110 Steel
Cleveland Niblick 42"/Don White 56*
Bobby Grace F-18

3 hours ago, lordemsworth said:

Ah - experience trumps everything.  Out of curiosity - is the z785 more forgiving off the toe or thin strikes?

Sorry. I am not too sure about the toe strike as my misses are usually thin strikes. Z785 was more forgiving on thin strikes. On paper it would make sense that ZX7 would be more forgiving with toe mishits but again would be best to test it out personally if you have access. But if you consider price into the purchase decision then I would go with Z785 as difference is very minimal.

6 minutes ago, bombs said:

Shane Lowry's gut must be robbing him of the necessary club speed to launch a long iron properly.

What is a long iron these days? Back in the day 2, 3 and 4 irons were long irons 5, 6 and 7 were mid irons and 8, 9 and PW were short irons. I guess with today's jacked lofts 4, 5 and maybe even the 6 would be considered long irons. 

Edited by kiwihacker

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I currently play 6i-PW in the Z945 and 4i and 5i in the Z585.  In the past I have bagged the ZForged full set and 785 full set and Z945 full set.

I decided to go ZX7 PW-7i and ZX5 in the 5 and 6 after hitting both on TrackMan.  I am not sure I will gain a single thing, but I will have new irons.  I am playing to an 8 this winter, but almost doubled that today.  New irons were a must after todays round...my swing is much better than that score :-).

Edited by rxk9fan
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon ZX5 5i&6i with Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX7 7i- PW with Recoil 95 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

Ive done the same just waiting for them to arrive. I went with the "pre-packaged" combo set from Srixons site. zx5 4-6, zx7 7-pw. First of it was cheaper for some reason than piecing together separately the zx5 4/5 and then zx7 6-pw. Plus honestly the 6i is probably the least hit club in my bag so im not sure it will make a huge difference. I can always buy a zx7 6i if i hate it that much. Modus 125x on a whim, was initially dead set on the Tour V which I love the feel and performane of but I did find on partial shots the lighter weight caused a bunch of pulls. Something over time I could probably adjust to. Could have naturally gone with the Modus 130 but I've hit it before and have never hit the 125 so the GolfWRX in me obviously said go with the one youve never hit ha. Im sure I'll be fine, I like x100's so if the 125's perform similar with better feel we should be all roses. 

Edited by drvrwdge

TBD

Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

11 hours ago, drvrwdge said:

Ive done the same just waiting for them to arrive. I went with the "pre-packaged" combo set from Srixons site. zx5 4-6, zx7 7-pw. First of it was cheaper for some reason than piecing together separately the zx5 4/5 and then zx7 6-pw. Plus honestly the 6i is probably the least hit club in my bag so im not sure it will make a huge difference. I can always buy a zx7 6i if i hate it that much. Modus 125x on a whim, was initially dead set on the Tour V which I love the feel and performane of but I did find on partial shots the lighter weight caused a bunch of pulls. Something over time I could probably adjust to. Could have naturally gone with the Modus 130 but I've hit it before and have never hit the 125 so the GolfWRX in me obviously said go with the one youve never hit ha. Im sure I'll be fine, I like x100's so if the 125's perform similar with better feel we should be all roses. 

How do you find modus 130 compares to x100 or even CTaper 130x if you have comparisons. 

TSi3 8 Diamana D+ 70TX

Tsi2 18 Tensei Raw White 2.0 85TX 

ZX Utility 18* ADDI 95X

Need a 4 iron 

5-PW CB 801 X7 

SM8 50.12 at 51 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

RTX ZipCore 55 and 60 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125

Scotty X 5.5 

Srixon XV and Titleist -ProV1X

40 minutes ago, LeftyMatt24 said:

How do you find modus 130 compares to x100 or even CTaper 130x if you have comparisons. 

Modus 130 definitely feels stiffer than the other two because of the stiff butt and mid but I do t think it actually is. For me the x100’s have always spun a little much but I’m finding spin with irons is not a bad thing. The modus launches the highest with C Taper just below with both spinning about the same. Definitely noticeable less then the x100 for me. C Taper has a very linear feel, think Atmos Black in an iron. Obviously the x100 flexes a bit and you can feel it. I’m hoping the 125 will be the x100 with a hair less spin and better feel. 

the modus does launch high but I had no issues flighting it if needed. The Tour V is a very good shaft as well, very crisp at impact but I think the weight got me. 

Edited by drvrwdge

TBD

Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0