2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Srixon ZX5 to ZX7

ndisanti24

1 minute ago, drvrwdge said:

Modus 130 definitely feels stiffer than the other two because of the stiff butt and mid but I do t think it actually is. For me the x100’s have always spun a little much but I’m finding spin with irons is not a bad thing. The modus launches the highest with C Taper just below with both spinning about the same. Definitely noticeable less then the x100 for me. C Taper has a very linear feel, think Atmos Black in an iron. Obviously the x100 flexes a bit and you can feel it. I’m hoping the 125 will be the x100 with a hair less spin and better feel. 

Super helpful! Thanks. I was recently fitted into CTaper 130x from project x 6.5/7.0. I find CTaper to be smoother than project x. I’ve always been intrigued by modus 130x. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Just now, LeftyMatt24 said:

Super helpful! Thanks. I was recently fitted into CTaper 130x from project x 6.5/7.0. I find CTaper to be smoother than project x. I’ve always been intrigued by modus 130x. 

So right, the C Taper and Project X are very similar to me, just a feel difference. I’d say if you fit into those you’d do ok with the 130. Generally people that fit into those don’t like the x100. 

Stay Tuned...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 2:46 PM, vman said:

You could always go 20 and 23 utility and 5-p ZX7, makes for a nice set up.

I did this exact setup this time around.  Was going to do 4-5 ZX5.... ZX7 rest but dropped the 4 Iron out and went all ZX7. 

I found between the ZX7 and ZX5 there was no huge upside for my swing.  Granted I hit it all over the face anyway LOL. 

Truthfully I did not see a huge difference in forgiveness between the two and feel on the ZX7 was much much better and I lean to feel more so over other aspects. 

EDIT: 19 / 23 on hybrids for what it is worth.

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 7:27 AM, Aviador Naval said:

If there is any difference in ‘forgiveness’ between the ZX5 and ZX7 you would need some fairly precision instruments to find it.  For all intents and purposes, they are the same and by that point in the set they look the same from address as well.

You have clearly only compared 7 irons.

ZX5 longer irons have a big fat cavity sticking out the back visible at address in the 4,5 & 6 irons. Absolute deal breaker. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

9 hours ago, bombs said:

ZX5 longer irons have a big fat cavity sticking out the back visible at address in the 4,5 & 6 irons. Absolute deal breaker. 

Actually, I compared them all - many times - currently outside US and full sets have been on display for months.  I wasn’t interested in anything beyond 6i so don’t recall much about the 4i and 5i.

Picked up my combo set today and already considering replacing the ZX5 6i with ZX7 6i or a 5i bent 1 degree weak.  Will wait a few rounds to decide but I’m not facing the ‘out of stock’ situation that exists in the US at the moment...

BTW, just verified look from address with my ZX5 6i - I’d need to be in a heinous reverse K set-up, like Old English script reverse K, to see the back at address.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

6 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

Actually, I compared them all - many times - currently outside US and full sets have been on display for months.  I wasn’t interested in anything beyond 6i so don’t recall much about the 4i and 5i.

Picked up my combo set today and already considering replacing the ZX5 6i with ZX7 6i or a 5i bent 1 degree weak.  Will wait a few rounds to decide but I’m not facing the ‘out of stock’ situation that exists in the US at the moment...

BTW, just verified look from address with my ZX5 6i - I’d need to be in a heinous reverse K set-up, like Old English script reverse K, to see the back at address.

Very interesting (not the alleged big bulge, lol)!

I'm coming from Legacy Blacks that I really like and they are basically the same material (endo forged sc20 - same thing basically as 1020) and love the feel of what I have.  I see or want to see the zx7s as similar and I think the zx7s are more similar to my last set of AP2s and the '16 Apex Pros (both of which I liked but not quite enough to keep them in the bag vs. the Callaway they were meant to replace) vs. the zx5s which I think of as more comparable to AP1s/Apex from a few years ago.  Those are my impressions but just keeping an eye on what others played prior to switching and how they think the zx7s feel and perform vs. heads they used before.  The zx5 still looks very attractive as well as an option.

I may combo, but with chucking 5i out of the bag in favor of a 27 degree hybrid, I come down to the 6i in zx5 as the only blending choice when looking at lofts, etc. and sit wondering about that difference between the two 6 irons.  I tried blending AP1 and AP2 the first time I bought AP2s and never really liked the 5 or the 6 and ditched that idea the next two sets and was happier, but that was just one experiment.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

Agreed, the 6 zx5 and the 7 zx7 next to each other look nearly the same. There is another way to see the cavity, setup with the face 45* shut at address. I might consider the ZX7 in the 6i as well, not for looks, just for feel since the 7 feels so dang good

The 4 and 5 aren't any different. 

• Like 1

These finally got the best of me and I ordered a set.. 

• Like 4

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

6 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'm coming from Legacy Blacks that I really like and they are basically the same material (endo forged sc20 - same thing basically as 1020) and love the feel of what I have.  I see or want to see the zx7s as similar and I think the zx7s are more similar to my last set of AP2s and the '16 Apex Pros (both of which I liked but not quite enough to keep them in the bag vs. the Callaway they were meant to replace) vs. the zx5s which I think of as more comparable to AP1s/Apex from a few years ago.  Those are my impressions but just keeping an eye on what others played prior to switching and how they think the zx7s feel and perform vs. heads they used before.  The zx5 still looks very attractive as well as an option.

I may combo, but with chucking 5i out of the bag in favor of a 27 degree hybrid, I come down to the 6i in zx5 as the only blending choice when looking at lofts, etc. and sit wondering about that difference between the two 6 irons.  I tried blending AP1 and AP2 the first time I bought AP2s and never really liked the 5 or the 6 and ditched that idea the next two sets and was happier, but that was just one experiment.  

Sounds like we were/are in a similar place.  I tried an AP1 4i with my 714 AP2s and it didn’t last long.  I’ve tried a couple other combo sets and the only one that endured was 718 T-MB 5i, CB 6i, and MB 7i-PW.  I’ve been very happy with hybrids since the Ping G25/Anser and Titleist 913 series but struggled to look at loft greater than 24 degs or so.  As I’ve found a 26/27 deg hybrid I’m comfortable with, it frees me up to play a wider variety of clubs in 6i and shorter.

I chose the ZX5 6i primarily to keep the yardage gap 12-15 yds from the ZX7 7i.  It is a degree stronger with a touch more launch and a little less spin.  They feel different but with decent balls outside it’s barely noticeable.  Having said all that, in the initial foray, the gap was near 15 yds with peak height a bit higher in the 6i so I’m confident a ZX7 6i or 5i 1/2” short and 1 degree weak would stay at 12 yds or greater and retain sufficient height/spin/descent angle.  Will wait until I get a dozen or so rounds with current set-up before making any decisions.

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

8 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I didn't think there was a big difference in feel between the 5's and 7's but I could definitely see the difference in off centered hits. That's just me. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

23 hours ago, bombs said:

Are you hooding your clubs closed at address??? I don't see a "big fat cavity" at address.

This is my ZX5 6 iron at address.

Zx5 6-iron.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

On 2/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, LeftyMatt24 said:

If you're intrigued by the 130x try out the 125x.  I was a project x 6.5 and then a x100 user for quite a few years.  The 125x has a similar profile to the x100 but with a stiffer tip.  That may fit your profile better than the modus 130x

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

I was dead set on going 4-6 in ZX5 and 7-W in ZX7 but I found a full set of new ZX7s on ebay in my desired shaft. Since they are showing sold out right now on the Srixon website I pulled the trigger. Now I'm having second thoughts as I really struggle hitting 5 iron with my JPX 919 pros. 

My fitter only has the 7 iron in both so I wasn't able to see how much extra help I would get in the long irons from the ZX5. 

13 minutes ago, jaggolfer1 said:

I was dead set on going 4-6 in ZX5 and 7-W in ZX7 but I found a full set of new ZX7s on ebay in my desired shaft. Since they are showing sold out right now on the Srixon website I pulled the trigger. Now I'm having second thoughts as I really struggle hitting 5 iron with my JPX 919 pros. 

My fitter only has the 7 iron in both so I wasn't able to see how much extra help I would get in the long irons from the ZX5. 

Don’t sweat it yet. Try em out for a few rounds. If you’re struggling with the long irons being zx7 just flip em and order the zx5 long irons.  Hopefully Srixon delays have eased by the time you’re ready to make that decision. 

Have seen so many people struggling with where to split these sets that I’d imagine there will be lots of people trying to unload/buy just a couple irons from one set or the other because they were unhappy with their original setup. 

If you have to flip em you might lose $100 or so on your “experiment” with the zx7s. 

Initial impression of a combo set split at ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i.  Two range sessions thus far - first round this weekend.

I split at 6/7 primarily to preserve 12-15 yds gap and apex/descent angle.  Lofts std (27 and 32 respectively).  Gaps and ballflight absolutely ideal for me from 7i-PW.  Currently hitting 6i a bit higher and further than I’d like to bridge between 7i and first hybrid.  I don’t want to strengthen the 7i and mess with its gap to 8i and weakening the 6i isn’t super appealing either since the sole is fairly robust and I’m already hitting it as high as I’d like.

There is zero observable difference in traditional forgiveness.  The ZX7 is like the 714 AP2 - a true GI type club in a small-mid size package with the added bonus that ZX7 feels much better than AP2.

Will gather more data in the coming weeks but I suspect a ZX7 6i is in my future.  The ZX5 6i looks and feels great - I just need a little less juice to better fit my gapping.

• Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X