2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone remember GolfOpinions or BombSquadGolf from the early 2000's???

ddubose

I saw a post on this site recently that brought back a flood of memories from the early 2000's. Sitting up late at night perusing the boards when I should have been studying! I started as a young pup on GolfOpinions and reluctantly lurked around on BombSquad from time-to-time. Both sites seem defunct now.

Anyone else on this board remember those early days? I was literally logging in with a free Juno dialup account to read insider tour news and the occasional snap from a tour event. GolfWRX has way more/better access to legit intel than we did back then; it was a lot of speculation. I remember a poster named..."Easy***"??? That's where Joe Kwok first made an internet appearance too. It's funny how we go from 24 to 44, seemingly overnight!

Hope to hear some funny stories...

Stay well, everyone. 

DD

• Like 2

I was a frequent browser of both sites. GO is still active and I believe is now owned by GolfWRX. BSG seems to be gone. I had forgotten about it and just looked.

I made lot of nice online friends from both sites since the turn of the century.

• Like 2

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I'm pretty sure this site was created due to how BSG operated (that was the one right? It's been a while). I was never a member there but many early members here were, i am sure they will tell some great stories (i heard them all second hand)..

I think they jumped the shark when they started burying reviews and trying to sell everyone 500$ lime green shafts right?

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I spent about 30 minutes on BSG when The Golf Channel Discussion board finally bit the dust.  Wasn’t for me. 

Found WRX not long after. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I was on the golfonline forums in 98/99 and went over to Golf Equipment Afficianados when Pingboy started it.  I didn't spend much time on Golf Opinions and BSG wasn't for me.  GolfWRX has been home for over a decade but I've been spending more time on MGS lately.  It has the more friendly feel of the early days of GolfWRX.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I'm pretty sure this site was created due to how BSG operated (that was the one right? It's been a while). I was never a member there but many early members here were, i am sure they will tell some great stories (i heard them all second hand)..

I think they jumped the shark when they started burying reviews and trying to sell everyone 500$ lime green shafts right?

I remember the GolfWRX boards referring to them lovingly as “lime green dork sticks,” I had one so I felt attacked 😂

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I was at BSG for a year or so before jumping over here. I wanted one of the lime green shafts but would never pay the amount they asked. I enjoyed the site, the pics from PGA tournaments and just general golf discussions. But could see the way it was going before too long and I was posting here and browsing here more often and this place was such a more friendly atmosphere. I went back a couple times just to read around and the forum was dead, I guess this was after the major issues they had. 

Oh yeah! I spent a lot of time on both back in the day. This site was born as a direct result of a member wanting an alternative to what BSG had become. Now BSG is gone and WRX is pretty much the gold standard. I also visited tourspecgolf quite often. I think it’s still an active site, but more of a store than forums now. This makes me think of TM “holy grail” 300 series driver heads, tour only rac iron heads (well anything TM tour issue only) and of course who could forget lime green Ozik! Haha

Edited by TIScape

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 4:57 AM, BIG STU said:

I think GEA is gone now--- I was over there then got kicked off--- Did a course review on a course here. Did not say anything hateful but told the truth. Come to find out one of the Mods was from down here in the Dirty Myrtle area and was friends with the owner of the course. I got put in time out so to speak. When I came back I gave it to them with both barrels and was promptly banned.  Good riddance I came here and MGS

GEA is still around but virtually dead. A new GEA spun off but it's a 99% political site with almost no golf talk. FGI is gone, too but replaced by Golfbuzz

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 3:57 AM, BIG STU said:

I think GEA is gone now--- I was over there then got kicked off--- Did a course review on a course here. Did not say anything hateful but told the truth. Come to find out one of the Mods was from down here in the Dirty Myrtle area and was friends with the owner of the course. I got put in time out so to speak. When I came back I gave it to them with both barrels and was promptly banned.  Good riddance I came here and MGS

Like ctonr I was on Golfonline, though only just; I'd just started playing golf and was looking for the golf version of what I'd found for bowling in Usenet newsgroups.  Then found GEA, spent a LOT of time there over the years, especially in the chat.  GO was born of a moderator-split with GEA, I tried it but wasn't a fan.  BSG was something that had little allure for me.

Amusingly, I'd known about WRX well before I'd joined, but knowing it was a split from BSG made me a bit wary, LOL.  Held off from joining for a few years until I realized it wasn't just another BSG.  

Brother Stu, I'm guessing Art is the GEAer who was torqued by your MB comments.  He ran his own MB forum, organized the MB trips that several GEAers took each year.  I'll just say not surprised by your story.  😉

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 2/14/2021 at 9:37 AM, garyt said:

GEA is still around but virtually dead. A new GEA spun off but it's a 99% political site with almost no golf talk. FGI is gone, too but replaced by Golfbuzz

The politics are what killed GEA, though it took a fair bit of time.  The addition of the non-golf folder, and the politics within, is one of the things that helped spawn GO.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Like ctonr I was on Golfonline, though only just; I'd just started playing golf and was looking for the golf version of what I'd found for bowling in Usenet newsgroups.  Then found GEA, spent a LOT of time there over the years, especially in the chat.  GO was born of a moderator-split with GEA, I tried it but wasn't a fan.  BSG was something that had little allure for me.

Amusingly, I'd known about WRX well before I'd joined, but knowing it was a split from BSG made me a bit wary, LOL.  Held off from joining for a few years until I realized it wasn't just another BSG.  

Brother Stu, I'm guessing Art is the GEAer who was torqued by your MB comments.  He ran his own MB forum, organized the MB trips that several GEAers took each year.  I'll just say not surprised by your story.  😉

That is exactly who it is and he will not talk to me on here now--- And he will not talk to me face to face--- I am not hard to find everyone on the South End knows me and where I hang my shingle so to speak

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I was on BSG as well. Even bought an Adams hybrid with the lime green ozik shaft, as well as an Adams 4060 fw. 

The drama around the time of the split was sort of fun, but glad wrx won out. 

• Like 2

[size=1][b]Driver[/b] Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
[b]Spoon[/b] [/size][size=1]Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S[/size]
[size=1][b]Hybrid[/b] Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
[b]Irons[/b] Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
[b]GW[/b] Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
[b]SW[/b] Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
[b]Putter[/b] Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura[/size]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I started out on FGI (freegolfinfo) back in like 2001.  Graduated to BSG around 2003 at the beginning of the 510DF surge.  Got bit by the tour issue bug and bought a few things (300 tour, various shafts).  Got disillusioned by the constant clear hyping of the gear they sold and moved to WRX.  Best decision of my life.  From a forum perspective.  

• 1 month later...

Never gave the net forums much attention until around 03.   AltaVista searching for “TaylorMade 300 Tour” because a guy at our CC who played Nike Tour back in the day had one and people wouldn’t stop talking about it.   Found BSG and kinda hung out on there reading about all the cool gotta have it’s.   I was mostly a Mizuno and Titleist guy back then so I kept my mouth shut.  

Long story short didn’t post much and in late 2005 ended up with a driver from a friend of a friend, R7 Quad TP “Tour issue” with a Graphite Design PM902X in it.   Posted about it on BSG and got banned within an hour of making the post.   Todd told me to never talk about TM tour equipment I didn’t get from him ever again, I politely told him a few different ways he could have sex with himself, and he actually told me to come over here with my “**** kind.”    Such a nice guy he was.  

So that was how y’all got stuck with me 15 years ago.   Sorry.   Blame Todd.   

Edited by dan360
spelling errors
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

On 2/23/2021 at 11:55 AM, indianagolf2 said:

Bomb squad yes, he sold the Taylor made supposed tour stuff...also the y cutters tour wedges

I still own two sets of those RACFe2O3 wedges, one set with "tour box grooves" and one set of "Y Cutters", I still game them...

I was on BSG hardcore, and GO too, came here after the BSG "blow up", GO was kinda overrun by BSG.

BSG did hip me to Fujikura shafts, they were hyped before the Ozik debacle...

• Like 1