Public Courses near the airport of Atlanta

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't really consider Suwanee central to anything really. It's a good 40+ minutes from Atlanta.   I know your original post mentioned you wanting to find courses near the airport, but a

Others may have some good suggestions, but in my opinion unless you are okay with playing the same 1 or 2 courses multiple times these two parts are going to be tough without going to a golf specific

On 1/23/2021 at 8:18 AM, keithbarker said:

Late august we are taking 12 guys down to atlanta, were looking at the suwanee area but housing is tricky.  So we wanted to see if there were some good public choices South side of the airport or nearish?   SE something in that region.  I've see wolf Creek for sure on here.

thanks

Keith

Is this a specifically a golf trip?

I would suggest staying on the north side of town if you're looking for great public golf.  

Courses in those areas are going to be far nicer than south of Atlanta near the airport.

Echelon, Cobblestone, Bear's Best, Trophy Club of Atlanta, St. Marlo, Woodmont, Barnsley Gardens

These are all on the north side and are generally in great condition.

45 min to an hour to get from Atlanta airport to Suwanee. Then you're driving all over for courses and...staying in Suwanee...

1 hr 20 min to get to Reynold's at lake oconee. 5 courses, resort, rental properties. 

Just saying, if you're taking a golf trip make it a golf trip. 

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
Artisan 0217, Customer #62

18 hours ago, keithbarker said:

Thanks for the info!!!   That seems like what we'll do!!  Looking at staying in the Suwanee area.  That seems to be central?

KB

I wouldn't really consider Suwanee central to anything really. It's a good 40+ minutes from Atlanta.

I know your original post mentioned you wanting to find courses near the airport, but as others have already said that is the last thing I would suggest if you are planning to stay in Suwanee. With just light-moderate traffic you'd be looking at a minimum of 1 hour of travel time each way if you're staying in Suwanee and trying to play golf near the airport. 

If this is a golf specific trip I agree with ND2005 that you're better off going somewhere like Reynold's Lake. Although there are a few decent options near Atlanta, the city isn't exactly a mecca for public golf courses.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

@keithbarker Right now it just seems like you are a bit all over the place. It would probably help us provide better recommendations if you let us know what exactly you are hoping to get or wanting out of this trip. All we know is that you are maybe staying in Suwanee but maybe not, you are thinking about courses near the airport, and you're also considering Reynolds lake and the Augusta area as well. None of those areas are near each other...

Do you want an area were you can play a bunch of golf and not have to drive all over to get to different courses? Are you hoping to find somewhere that offers golf but also offers entertainment at night? Are you staying for multiple days and wanting to play multiple rounds or is it just an overnight trip?  Do you have a budget?

Edited by Abh159

Sorry for the confusion but we pick a different destination each year however, we come form Tenn. Indiana SC NC and Ohio.  Were looking for somewhere that once we arrive there we don't drive over 20 min. to reach a course!  We want the most course for $80-$100 per round!  We prefer a vrbo house that holds 12.  Really would prefer an hour and half drive or less from the airport.   Ultimately what i do is look for housing, easy access from an airport,  then I start checking out the courses!  Which is why I'm asking different locations for golf.  I've already checked housing and access point.  Hope that helps some.

thanks for your help

KB

34 minutes ago, keithbarker said:

Sorry for the confusion but we pick a different destination each year however, we come form Tenn. Indiana SC NC and Ohio.  Were looking for somewhere that once we arrive there we don't drive over 20 min. to reach a course!  We want the most course for $80-$100 per round!  We prefer a vrbo house that holds 12.  Really would prefer an hour and half drive or less from the airport.   Ultimately what i do is look for housing, easy access from an airport,  then I start checking out the courses!  Which is why I'm asking different locations for golf.  I've already checked housing and access point.  Hope that helps some.

thanks for your help

KB

Others may have some good suggestions, but in my opinion unless you are okay with playing the same 1 or 2 courses multiple times these two parts are going to be tough without going to a golf specific resort like Reynolds Lake or Pine Needles / Mid Pines in NC (also close to Pinehurst) where you can get some sort of "stay and play" deal. Of course the drawback to something like that is you would typically want to stay on site to get the best deal and that would probably require getting multiple rooms.

If you are okay with playing the same 1 or 2 courses multiple times then you should be fine with some of the Atlanta area courses suggested above. 

The only places in the SE that I can think of that have a bunch of decent to good quality public access golf courses within close proximity are going to be coastal towns like Myrtle Beach, Destin, or a similar area. However, I would think a lot of those courses will have green fees north of $100 especially during the middle of the summer season. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Others may have some good suggestions, but in my opinion unless you are okay with playing the same 1 or 2 courses multiple times these two parts are going to be tough without going to a golf specific resort like Reynolds Lake or Pine Needles / Mid Pines in NC (also close to Pinehurst) where you can get some sort of "stay and play" deal. Of course the drawback to something like that is you would typically want to stay on site to get the best deal and that would probably require getting multiple rooms.

If you are okay with playing the same 1 or 2 courses multiple times then you should be fine with some of the Atlanta area courses suggested above. 

The only places in the SE that I can think of that have a bunch of decent to good quality public access golf courses within close proximity are going to be coastal towns like Myrtle Beach, Destin, or a similar area. However, I would think a lot of those courses will have green fees north of $100 especially during the middle of the summer season. 

100% agree. Reynold's Plantation is sounds like the best fit here without a doubt.