GHIN digital profile

What is up with the new GHIN digital profile?  They are now forcing me to give them my email to use the mobile app?  I am paying to use their service and they now are going to benefit by selling my address???  The system worked well before..... rubs me the wrong way!  Just another reason I dont like the USGA....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, slprince67 said:

What is up with the new GHIN digital profile?  They are now forcing me to give them my email to use the mobile app?  I am paying to use their service and they now are going to benefit by selling my address???  The system worked well before..... rubs me the wrong way!  Just another reason I dont like the USGA....

It's about security with a real login. 

LOL, where's the selling the address coming from?  

I do get email blasts from some partner with the Iowa Golf Association which are generally meaningless, but take only a second to delete. Unfortunately the only unsubscribe option is from all the emails from IGA and some I want to get, so I put up with it - I assume this "Global Golf" thing makes them a little money and that's okay with me.

It irked me too.  I still haven’t created a login to get back in.  And may not. Makes me mad to Have to revamp something that was working at the touch of a button.  It’s a fix of something that wasn’t broken.  Why do i need my damn ghin account to  be more secure ? 

ill have to call in to get the ghin number , just a hassle.  

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, davep043 said:

Before, anyone who knew your GHIN number and name could enter scores to your account.  Now that you define your own password, its a bit more secure.  Some changes are for the better, and for legitimate reasons, not for sinister purposes.

True. I never felt secure only with my GHIN number and name because anyone can look up my GHIN number at my home club. Then anyone could enter 20 scores of 100 or worse in my profile, thus making me an instant sandbagger. 😂

Missouri Golf Association has my email address for years and I get their newsletter with GHIN updates twice monthly. I prefer the new changes.

• Like 3

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I have absolutely no problem with them creating an actual login with a password to keep the account more secure. Both GHIN and my state's golf association have had my email for years and the only emails I've ever gotten from them was a monthly newsletter.

Unless you've literally never made a single online purchase in your entire life I can assure you that your email address is already out there. Giving it to GHIN is probably the last thing you should be worried about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh the irony. In order to make that first post, he had to use an email address to login that is ALREADY being bought and sold. Just use the same email. It’s already compromised. 

It’s also more secure. I’m sure there is a way to social engineer your unsecured GHIN number back to your credit card info. I don’t know how, I’m not a crook, but I’m sure there’s a way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

It irked me too.  I still haven’t created a login to get back in.  And may not. Makes me mad to Have to revamp something that was working at the touch of a button.  It’s a fix of something that wasn’t broken.  Why do i need my damn ghin account to  be more secure ? 

But it WAS broken. Didn't you read Dave's post ?

Assuming you're talking about the GHIN.COM site, just click the "Remember me" box and/or have your browser save your password(s).

You will however still have to click on the "Login" button - sorry about that. :classic_laugh:

You'll have to call in to get your GHIN number ??? Don't you know it ?

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Blade I don't think you want someone to be able to access your GHIN records and modify etc, do you? 

All it takes with the old way is knowing your GHIN number (everyone at your club and more have that info) and your last name--- and they can be in screwing with your scores, monitoring where you play and days you play etc.  Not secure by any cyber or physical security standards.   

Now by requiring an email registration and password it at least brings a level of security. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nsxguy said:

But it WAS broken. Didn't you read Dave's post ?

Assuming you're talking about the GHIN.COM site, just click the "Remember me" box and/or have your browser save your password(s).

You will however still have to click on the "Login" button - sorry about that. :classic_laugh:

You'll have to call in to get your GHIN number ??? Don't you know it ?

No I don’t know it . Why would I ?  I clicked on the app.  Entered my score.that’s it. Didn’t need to.  If I Needed it , the card is ( or was ) on the app.  Now I’m locked out. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Blade I don't think you want someone to be able to access your GHIN records and modify etc, do you? 

All it takes with the old way is knowing your GHIN number (everyone at your club and more have that info) and your last name--- and they can be in screwing with your scores, monitoring where you play and days you play etc.  Not secure by any cyber or physical security standards.   

Now by requiring an email registration and password it at least brings a level of security. 

So you’re saying we can no longer see other folks postings ?   

that’s no good.  That’s how we “ peer reviewed “ our sandbaggers out of the club the last 2 years.  By watching them like hawks.   I know one cheat in particular that will exploit this.  We just called him out 6 weeks ago for 3 scores he posted in succession to that he  didn’t actually play.   If his cap goes down he will randomly enter 3/4 high scores to level it off.  We’ve noticed this pattern and finally caught him.  He posted as having played these 3 rounds while we had the course closed to put the new cartpath in.  

I personally don’t care of someone else could see , I have zero to hide.  it’s not as if big brother can’t look at it if they want , password or no . We all wear gps tracking devices 24/7 anyway.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Just now, bladehunter said:

No I don’t know it . Why would I ?  I clicked on the app.  Entered my score.that’s it. Didn’t need to.  If I Needed it , the card is ( or was ) on the app.  Now I’m locked out. 

Why wouldn't you know it ? It comes up all the time on the app(?) and/or the website. And it's on the card you used to(?) carry in your wallet. You haven't memorized it by now ?

But why should you be locked out ? GHIN had messages up for at least a month or 2 late last year that they were going to required email addresses and passwords.

I wrote to them and they assured me their site(s) would prompt for users to enter the email and set up a password.

Didn't your app/web site solicit same ? 

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody's NOT out to get you. :classic_laugh:

Titleist Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

that’s no good.  That’s how we “ peer reviewed “ our sandbaggers out of the club the last 2 years.  By watching them like hawks.   

I personally don’t care of someone else could see , I have zero to hide.  it’s not as if big brother can’t look at it if they want , password or no . We all wear gps tracking devices 24/7 anyway.  

No that's NOT what he's saying.

He's saying that nobody can mess with YOUR numbers.

You CAN still lookup other player by state and name and see their numbers. What you CAN'T see is the EXACT date the rounds were played.

Titleist Pro V1X

1 minute ago, nsxguy said:

Why wouldn't you know it ? It comes up all the time on the app(?) and/or the website. And it's on the card you used to(?) carry in your wallet. You haven't memorized it by now ?

But why should you be locked out ? GHIN had messages up for at least a month or 2 late last year that they were going to required email addresses and passwords.

I wrote to them and they assured me their site(s) would prompt for users to enter the email and set up a password.

Didn't your app/web site solicit same ? 

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody's NOT out to get you. :classic_laugh:

No to all that.  I literally tried to enter Saturday’s score and poof. Locked out.  Still haven’t entered it. I don’t get their emails ( no email entered ) don’t visit their site.   100 % surprise move from my view.  

and the ghin number is literaly not used on the app.  Once the app was setup , you simply enter the score hole by hole and submit.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

that’s no good.  That’s how we “ peer reviewed “ our sandbaggers out of the club the last 2 years.  By watching them like hawks.   

These are two separate things--- You can still look up any Index you want by name and state, same as before.  What's new is that to enter scores you need to be properly logged in to your own account.  The old way provided zero protections to your account, which in the world of IT is unacceptable and irresponsible.  With the old system anyone that knows your GHIN and last name can act like you in the system, which is not good. Anyone could screw with you and the only solution would be to get a new GHIN and hope no one finds the new number.  With a password protected account that virtually solves those issues.

Maybe you didn't care about people knowing where and what days you play but I guarantee there are plenty that would care, especially celebs/famous people.  I bet if someone kept going into the system and entering scores for you that you'd definitely care.  Again setting up a password protected account makes that incredibly difficult for troublemakers, stalkers etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

No that's NOT what he's saying.

He's saying that nobody can mess with YOUR numbers.

You CAN still lookup other player by state and name and see their numbers. What you CAN'T see is the EXACT date the rounds were played.

Right.  And that’s very much needed for a proper peer review which is always preached as the main deterrent to cheaters.   If we don’t know when , how can we check against the tee sheet to see who the witnesses etc may be ?   When dealing with the cheats that I have , you have to have all the info.  

but that’s only a side irritation.   Yet another band of junk emails for me to delete every dang day , plus another password.  It’s just too much.  Reminds me of when hello fresh said my password wasn’t strong enough.  After 3 tries i deleted the app.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

No to all that.  I literally tried to enter Saturday’s score and poof. Locked out.  Still haven’t entered it. I don’t get their emails ( no email entered ) don’t visit their site.   100 % surprise move from my view.  

and the ghin number is literaly not used on the app.  Once the app was setup , you simply enter the score hole by hole and submit.  

Well, as I almost never used the app on my smartphone I can't vouch for what they did or didn't do last year when one signed on.

But how DID you log onto your app ? You had to enter something. Or did it NEVER "log you out" ?

At the moment I had to enter either my email address (new obviously) or my GHIN number and a password.

The OLD GHIN.COM only required a GHIN number and a LAST name as a "sign on". Again, I don't remember what the APP required.

Anywho, there IS a "Forgot Login Information" link on the app so I suppose you could click on that and straighten it out.

Titleist Pro V1X

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  And that’s very much needed for a proper peer review which is always preached as the main deterrent to cheaters.   If we don’t know when , how can we check against the tee sheet to see who the witnesses etc may be ?   When dealing with the cheats that I have , you have to have all the info.  

but that’s only a side irritation.   Yet another band of junk emails for me to delete every dang day , plus another password.  It’s just too much.  Reminds me of when hello fresh said my password wasn’t strong enough.  After 3 tries i deleted the app.  

If they are in your club you can see the course and date.  Even with the old system, I could see the index of someone not in my club, the scores, diff, slope, rating and month, year of the course they played but NOT the specific date or course.  When you play in a tournament you surrender your GHIN number and they can see all the details, dates and score etc.  In the old system once you turn over your GHIN ID to someone you've made your account more vulnerable.  

To be clear, with the new system you have NO limitations compared to the old, with access to the same info about others, however there is one important distinction.  Your account is now much more secure from tampering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nsxguy said:

Well, as I almost never used the app on my smartphone I can't vouch for what they did or didn't do last year when one signed on.

But how DID you log onto your app ? You had to enter something. Or did it NEVER "log you out" ?

At the moment I had to enter either my email address (new obviously) or my GHIN number and a password.

The OLD GHIN.COM only required a GHIN number and a LAST name as a "sign on". Again, I don't remember what the APP required.

Anywho, there IS a "Forgot Login Information" link on the app so I suppose you could click on that and straighten it out.

Never loggged out.  I don’t even recall it having a password.     

if you click on the forgot login it asks for your email or ghin.  And my email isn’t recognized.  Same email since 2001.   So if I had ever entered one it would know it.  Snd I haven’t called in to get my ghin number.  

I don’t do passwords on anything.  It’s either set to not log out , or it’s thumbprint or face recognition protected for things that matter.  If you’re smart you can protect everything important that way and never type a password.  And I’m far and away the least tech savvy  person here. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I can only assume "that" is the exact date. Sorry, not available for security purposes and personal info protection as BDP mentioned.

Interesting though. I can't ever remember a single time I used GHIN to look up and check on someone else's rounds. shrug.gif

And how could you possibly know how many junk emails you'd get because you registered the email with GHIN ? More assumptions in place of facts, right ? :classic_laugh:

And besides, 2(?) clicks fix all. If you get spammed you click on "This is spam" or whatever your email provider has and voila', no more emails in your inbox from that email addy.

First world problems, eh ? :classic_laugh:

Titleist Pro V1X

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

if you click on the forgot login it asks for your email or ghin.  And my email isn’t recognized.  Same email since 2001.   So if I had ever entered one it would know it.  Snd I haven’t called in to get my ghin number.  

I don’t do passwords on anything.  It’s either set to not log out , or it’s thumbprint or face recognition protected for things that matter.  If you’re smart you can protect everything important that way and never type a password.  And I’m far and away the least tech savvy  person here. 

With the app and pc browser you only need to log in once to the GHIN system, then it keeps you logged in.  So you only need to enter the PW once.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Wow, who says you're not tech savvy ? Thumbprint and facial rec on EVERY site you visit ? I'll have to look into that.

I don't even know if my bank, or any other site for that matter, handles FR or TP. Then again I seldom use my phone for internet so maybe that's the difference. Sounds to me like you use your phone for everything.

But GHIN never HAD your email addy. If you can't give it your GHIN # how do you expect them to verify it's you ?

Guess you'll have to contact your committee. They must have your GHIN and then you can set it up. And good grief, you might actually have to have a password. :classic_ohmy:

Titleist Pro V1X

5 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

If they are in your club you can see the course and date.  Even with the old system, I could see the index of someone not in my club, the scores, diff, slope, rating and month, year of the course they played but NOT the specific date or course.  When you play in a tournament you surrender your GHIN number and they can see all the details, dates and score etc.  In the old system once you turn over your GHIN ID to someone you've made your account more vulnerable.  

To be clear, with the new system you have NO limitations compared to the old, with access to the same info about others, however there is one important distinction.  Your account is now much more secure from tampering. 

I suppose on hindsight, I thought it was already that way  Since I only accessed it via the app.  Didn’t seem like anyone else would have access to it.  Yet I get how they could.  But I don’t guess I get why anyone would  what to ? Or maybe it’s just that I don’t value it as valuable info ?  It’s not something I use really , so if it were infiltrated , I doubt I’d care much. It’s no great loss compared to most info.  

I’ll stop now I guess. I just have an aversion to setup procedures. It’s like nails on a chalk board to me. And to have to do it for a service I already pay for and has already set up abs worked 100 % ( for me ) , is worse.  And having to recover a password every time I enter a score is another fear.  I don’t have the ability to remember them.  And find myself having to change one everytime I have to enter one. ( Netflix  being a prime example ).  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I suppose on hindsight, I thought it was already that way  Since I only accessed it via the app.  Didn’t seem like anyone else would have access to it.  Yet I get how they could.  But I don’t guess I get why anyone would  what to ? Or maybe it’s just that I don’t value it as valuable info ?  It’s not something I use really , so if it were infiltrated , I doubt I’d care much. It’s no great loss compared to most info.  

I’ll stop now I guess. I just have an aversion to setup procedures. It’s like nails on a chalk board to me. And to have to do it for a service I already pay for and has already set up abs worked 100 % ( for me ) , is worse.  And having to recover a password every time I enter a score is another fear.  I don’t have the ability to remember them.  And find myself having to change one everytime I have to enter one. ( Netflix  being a prime example ).  

Your BROWSER can remember ALL your passwords for you along with your used IDs. :classic_wink:

Edited by nsxguy

Titleist Pro V1X

3 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Wow, who says you're not tech savvy ? Thumbprint and facial rec on EVERY site you visit ? I'll have to look into that.

I don't even know if my bank, or any other site for that matter, handles FR or TP. Then again I seldom use my phone for internet so maybe that's the difference. Sounds to me like you use your phone for everything.

But GHIN never HAD your email addy. If you can't give it your GHIN # how do you expect them to verify it's you ?

Guess you'll have to contact your committee. They must have your GHIN and then you can set it up. And good grief, you might actually have to have a password. :classic_ohmy:

Not on every site I visit. On anything I consider important ( $ , stocks , phone itself etc ). iPhone will let you do it. I do use my phone for all. Last laptop I bought was 2010. I use it for tax time and once a month for customer billing.  

sure. I do assume - more junk ..... but it’s a safe one. Lol. Sign up with email. Get more junk.     My email is public , and it’s off the. Business website server.  And while I have near unlimited space as one of the admin accounts , I still have so much spam that I have to dump 500  or so emails every 30 days.  Just to stay under the storage quota i allot   myself.  Partly because of the spam settings. If I tag anything from ghin as spam , it will never allow another  thing to come through from them again.  I’m not talking about them selling my email to others , I’m talking about them sending me crap themselves.  

for the password thing.  Riddle me this.  I have. Kid who plays online games.  So I have a Nintendo - and a Sony Microsoft account for him .  Password protected etc. each of those accounts has been hacked via the game network servers twice each.  This didn’t stop until I added two step verification.... which for me is a texted code to my phone .     They’ve tried and not beat that several times now.    So this to me seems like a bit of a not enough to protect something that doesn’t need protecting. At any rate.  What makes this more secure than Microsoft servers ? 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock