GHIN digital profile

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

So this to me seems like a bit of a not enough to protect something that doesn’t need protecting. At any rate.  What makes this more secure than Microsoft servers ? 

It doesn't NEED to be.

You said yourself how unimportant, in the overall scheme of things, golfers scores are.

Who cares ? Who can make $$$ off of you if they hacked your GHIN ? Virtually nobody. So, less security required. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

55 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  And that’s very much needed for a proper peer review which is always preached as the main deterrent to cheaters.   If we don’t know when , how can we check against the tee sheet to see who the witnesses etc may be ?   When dealing with the cheats that I have , you have to have all the info.  

but that’s only a side irritation.   Yet another band of junk emails for me to delete every dang day , plus another password.  It’s just too much.  Reminds me of when hello fresh said my password wasn’t strong enough.  After 3 tries i deleted the app.  

Nothing has changed about what you can view. For members of your club you can still see everything (EXACT DATE, score, course/slope, PCC, differential, and course) so I would assume for your purposes of investigating cheating you can maintain your current routine. Unless you are investing people cheating at other clubs which I'm not sure why you would be doing that. For non-members at your club you can still see some info (month/year a score was posted, score, course/slope).

And as most of us have mentioned, the USGA isn't constantly sending out spam emails. The only emails I've ever gotten from them was a monthly newsletter from my state's golf association. Which I could easily unsubscribe from with 1 click if I wanted to. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

It doesn't NEED to be.

You said yourself how unimportant, in the overall scheme of things, golfers scores are.

Who cares ? Who can make $$$ off of you if they hacked your GHIN ? Virtually nobody. So, less security required. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right.  So why put me through the hassle ? So J-lo can play in secret ! Lol.   Just don’t see the need for it.  And more I guess irritated at the lockout of the account.  I just found it odd that this would come as a surprise deal.    I stewed on this since Saturday.  And almost started a thread myself.  But figured it was just me.  lol. Turns out there’s at least one more who uses the app universally .  Anyway- hallelujah, lol. 

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Nothing has changed about what you can view. For members of your club you can still see everything (EXACT DATE, score, course/slope, PCC, differential, and course) so I would assume for your purposes of investigating cheating you can maintain your current routine. Unless you are investing people cheating at other clubs which I'm not sure why you would be doing that. For non-members at your club you can still see some info (month/year a score was posted, score, course/slope).

And as most of us have mentioned, the USGA isn't constantly sending out spam emails. The only emails I've ever gotten from them was a monthly newsletter from my state's golf association. Which I could easily unsubscribe from with 1 click if I wanted to. 

Well that’s nice to know.  I assumed they acted like every other organization on earth. And communicate constantly.  And yes I realize the hypocrisy in that statement. I want to know about things like this change . But I don’t want to know when Sarah snd bill win the senior lefty righty , twins 4 ball.   My state association sends something out like that every day , I Swanee. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I have never felt that to be very secure.  If you get hacked, having all your passwords on the hacked machine feels bad.  I prefer ink on dead trees.  Tough to hack.

Totally get that. Can't blame anyone who's as safe as they want to be.

The only site I don't save my PW on my machine is my checking account bank. That's the one with a decent balance that can be raided.

Credit cards ? Who cares ? They have to refund fraudulent use.

Other sites ? Like golfwrx ? Nothing much on them anyway and if it's say, my IRA account, they require double and triple verification before they allow anything - also many sites now hold onto your device ID and recognize and challenge a different device trying to access your account.

MANY sites are doing the above now (device checking and challenging)

Titleist Pro V1X

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I just found it odd that this would come as a surprise deal.

I don't think this was a surprise.  For many months in late 2020 when I launched the GHIN app it told me it was going to need an email in 2021, right on top of the homescreen in bold red.  FWIW, i just looked at 12 months of email and have ZERO emails from the USGA in the past 12 months except for my handicap revision update (and they have had my email for years).  I don't think there will be a slew of marketing emails from every resort and newsletter and whatever. 

This should literally be a non-issue.  If you do get some emails, just unsubscribe.  Usually 2 clicks and 15 seconds.

Edited by david.c.w
spelllling, clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/26/2021 at 3:20 PM, bladehunter said:

Well that’s nice to know.  I assumed they acted like every other organization on earth. And communicate constantly.  And yes I realize the hypocrisy in that statement. I want to know about things like this change . But I don’t want to know when Sarah snd bill win the senior lefty righty , twins 4 ball.   My state association sends something out like that every day , I Swanee. 

Your state association sends you emails every day ? Click "Unsubscribe" as Abh suggested OR mark them as spam and you shouldn't see them again - at least not until you review and clean out your spam folder.

I don't use the phone APP so I don't know if GHIN notified anybody via that app but since about mid-November or early December there has been a red banner at the top of GHIN.COM every time I accessed it telling me that email addresses and passwords would be required come January.

I wonder if anybody (else) who uses the app can confirm seeing the same/similar message.

edited to add - Oopsie, I see david posted right before me. :classic_smile:

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

11 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

@bladehunter

I do find it somewhat humorous that you are complaining about POTENTIAL spam, when you may be the #1 all time poster in golfwrx history.  HA.

image.png.1a533b9cf14d92225965f2c14f7d7f94.png

Maybe I deserve that.  Or . Maybe this is a place designed For conversations? I suppose that’s up to personal interpretation.... at any rate. I’m not # 1. Lol. 

But it’s not the root of my gripe.  I hate change for sake of change.  This serves no purpose.  ( in my opinion. ) except to cause a headache and give the appearance of an upgrade.  I wish someone had a screen shot of that notification on the app.  It’s entirely possible I missed it.  I tend to miss the most obvious things.  Text wise.  Menu changes at restaurants for example give me fits.  Especially if the font or colors change.  What spectrum I’m on is up For debate. Lol

heres what I see if trying to log on to the app.  Kind of funny that I paid for this years ghin fee saturday too , just before I realized the account was locked.  

Since posting here I’ve called the pro shop for my ghin number.  Got the “ so and so isn’t here “ bit.  Wait for call back.  So I’ll likely have to make a trip up there.  Or wait till Sunday.  Yay ! 

E0DB8E7D-79A7-4EAD-95DA-226C895795DB.png

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

@bladehunter

YOUR picture

93737692_WRXBLADEGHIN.png.21ab266106437bc7220b6505ef63babc.png

FWIW, below is from the website. It's still there, even if you've already created the profile.

1820275513_WRXBLADE2GHIN.png.169060c4882da553224c157118378353.png

Titleist Pro V1X

39 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Maybe I deserve that.  Or . Maybe this is a place designed For conversations? I suppose that’s up to personal interpretation.... at any rate. I’m not # 1. Lol. 

But it’s not the root of my gripe.  I hate change for sake of change.  This serves no purpose.  ( in my opinion. ) except to cause a headache and give the appearance of an upgrade.  I wish someone had a screen shot of that notification on the app.  It’s entirely possible I missed it.  I tend to miss the most obvious things.  Text wise.  Menu changes at restaurants for example give me fits.  Especially if the font or colors change.  What spectrum I’m on is up For debate. Lol

heres what I see if trying to log on to the app.  Kind of funny that I paid for this years ghin fee saturday too , just before I realized the account was locked.  

Since posting here I’ve called the pro shop for my ghin number.  Got the “ so and so isn’t here “ bit.  Wait for call back.  So I’ll likely have to make a trip up there.  Or wait till Sunday.  Yay ! 

E0DB8E7D-79A7-4EAD-95DA-226C895795DB.png

I know for sure there was a notice on the USGA app splash page at least 2-3 weeks ago and it's still on yours. I know because I then set up my password protected account on 1/19.

I know that you like to complain about this but this is a one-time thing and once you sign in you're done. You then have all access you had before. In reality I find it shocking that our accounts weren't password protected before.

While you may think it's not necessary, I think you may want to consider this change to be proper IT practice and the right thing to do for the vast majority. Famous people even more so. Does Alice Cooper, Justin Timberlake, Steph Curry etc need some nutty fan to know that they play xyz course every Wednesday? I think the answer is no. 

Also on a separate note, you're third in the member ranking by post count. Only behind themoneyshot and Sean2. Immediately behind you and trailing by ~4k is bscinstct. 🙂

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

So ..... after several days of back and forth. Our association finally got our ghin numbers out.  Yes , turns out more than half the association has called in and asked for their numbers too.  So much so that they sent out an email saying don’t call in.  That our number would be sent out. So apparently I wasn’t the only one who stores his number in the app and hadn’t memorized it 🤦‍♂️

so i take it and try to create a login and get this error.  And resolution is to call my association..... lol.   This is after putting my last name and  ghin number in.  Thoughts ? 

54679C23-5CF5-4248-9BE1-2257A3495150.png

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Some digging later on the website and I find these frequently asked questions.  

seems you have to have the association add your email address through the admin portal first.   So yea guys. Easy peasy.   Seems pretty clear to me that email collection is the prime goal.  Otherwise why can’t I verify myself by my name and ghin number ?   Moreover , why can’t I add my own email ? I’d have to log into that to verify it.     Huge pain in the rear.  And  im a week locked out and counting .... this is why I hate change.  It comes in the form of a headache each and every time.  

767F7549-51B6-478C-8D16-E4B1B7F921CA.png

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

21 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

seems you have to have the association add your email address through the admin portal first.   So yea guys. Easy peasy.   Seems pretty clear to me that email collection is the prime goal.  Otherwise why can’t I verify myself by my name and ghin number ?   Moreover , why can’t I add my own email ? I’d have to log into that to verify it.     Huge pain in the rear.  And  im a week locked out and counting .... this is why I hate change.  It comes in the form of a headache each and every time.  

I didn't have any of those problems. All I had to do was enter my GHIN number along with an email address and create a password. Did it entirely myself and it took about 30 seconds. It sounds like your issues are specific to your golf association. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

I didn't have any of those problems. All I had to do was enter my GHIN number along with an email address and create a password. Did it entirely myself and it took about 30 seconds. It sounds like your issues are specific to your golf association. 

Right.  It is.  It’s because we aren’t either USga members , or have an email on file.  Guess what.  We just got an email saying “ we know about the email issue. Call in to let us know whether to add one or not and we will try to get them all added by Monday”. 

now the comedy part.  I’m on this committee .  Don’t have an admin login. But I have a vote.  Anyway.  So I’m part of the group text for that committee ( handicap association).  Well.  Said text lists 3 “ refunds requested “ so far this morning.    So yay.  We’re now losing association members.  

edit -   Might have talked those 3 off the ledge for the time being.  Now I’m being asked to come in and help find a way to add email addresses through the admin login.  Hilarious.  This is a side tickle in all this.   I’m not privy to any info as it comes  in , nor do I have the admin login.  But now I’m asked  to help fix it.    Current count is growing of people  locked out of the 105 or  so members.  The line will be long at the kiosk to post on Saturday.  Lol. Since that’s the only way to post now.   So much for social distancing.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Ok.  So I’ll leave this here for anyone else locked out.  

what you have to do is get your associations admin to logon and add your email from there.  It’s not in an obvious place , and must be from the first admin login.  None of our secondary admin logins had the option to edit the email . 

Then You wait for them to send you a invite email.  Then follow that emails link to creating a login for the app . re entree whichever email you provided and a password, then it will let you in and seems to save the password 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Ok.  So I’ll leave this here for anyone else locked out.  

what you have to do is get your associations admin to logon and add your email from there.  It’s not in an obvious place , and must be from the first admin login.  None of our secondary admin logins had the option to edit the email . 

Then You wait for them to send you a invite email.  Then follow that emails link to creating a login for the app . re entree whichever email you provided and a password, then it will let you in and seems to save the password 

I was able to do it myself via the GHIN WEBSITE.

So to be clear, since you're trying to help others, this was when you were trying to access/add email and set password via the PHONE APP, correct ?

Titleist Pro V1X

14 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I was able to do it myself via the GHIN WEBSITE.

So to be clear, since you're trying to help others, this was when you were trying to access/add email and set password via the PHONE APP, correct ?

It’s actually for app or website.  If your original ghin account doesn’t have an email attached. You’re locked out totally. Can’t post. You have to have the admin add an email , which will then invite you to setup a login. 

what you were allowed to do was enter an email , which it recognized as being attached already to your GHIN account. Then it allowed you to setup a login from that. For me it didn’t recognize any email I entered , and wouldnt allow me to view my handicap details at all.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

It’s actually for app or website.  If your original ghin account doesn’t have an email attached. You’re locked out totally. Can’t post. You have to have the admin add an email , which will then invite you to setup a login. 

what you were allowed to do was enter an email , which it recognized as being attached already to your GHIN account. Then it allowed you to setup a login from that. For me it didn’t recognize any email I entered , and wouldnt allow me to view my handicap details at all.  

The admin account you're referring to. That would be for access to your association, yes ? i.e. NOT USGA/GHIN ? Don't see why any member club would have access directly to GHIN.

It's certainly possible that USGA/GHIN had my email already, I don't recall ever giving it. I KNOW my association has my email. So perhaps there's a synergy there that I'm unaware of.

Of course that begs the question as to why I don't get bombarded by emails from the USGA to join (I'm not a member) if they already had my email addy. shrug.gif

Titleist Pro V1X

6 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

The admin account you're referring to. That would be for access to your association, yes ? i.e. NOT USGA/GHIN ? Don't see why any member club would have access directly to GHIN.

It's certainly possible that USGA/GHIN had my email already, I don't recall ever giving it. I KNOW my association has my email. So perhaps there's a synergy there that I'm unaware of.

Of course that begs the question as to why I don't get bombarded by emails from the USGA to join (I'm not a member) if they already had my email addy. shrug.gif

Yep. The associations admin login for ghin. Only it can add it. 

id bet a lot or most associations “ require” you to add the email already.  But ours didn’t since it wasn’t required by ghin. 

27 of 105 association members didn’t have one and were locked out. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. The associations admin login for ghin. Only it can add it. 

id bet a lot or most associations “ require” you to add the email already.  But ours didn’t since it wasn’t required by ghin. 

27 of 105 association members didn’t have one and were locked out. 

Couple (more) questions.

You're a member of your CLUB'S committee, yes ?

Your club belongs to your local association and your association is a USGA member association.

So your CLUB'S admin portal is to your association, correct ? And your club can ADD email addys to the association's database, yes ? And presumably that will funnel to GHIN ?

And once GHIN has it you can setup your PW.

That sound about right ?

IIRC you are in a 12 month season location. When did you and/or your members realize you couldn't access GHIN ?

We're a month into the new year. When did GHIN STOP allowing access without having set up an email and PW ?

Titleist Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Couple (more) questions.

You're a member of your CLUB'S committee, yes ?

Your club belongs to your local association and your association is a USGA member association.

So your CLUB'S admin portal is to your association, correct ? And your club can ADD email addys to the association's database, yes ? And presumably that will funnel to GHIN ?

And once GHIN has it you can setup your PW.

That sound about right ?

IIRC you are in a 12 month season location. When did you and/or your members realize you couldn't access GHIN ?

We're a month into the new year. When did GHIN STOP allowing access without having set up an email and PW ?

Locked out sometime last week.  I noticed last Saturday . 

yes. I’m voted on the committee. But I don’t have a login. I’m just like any association member. In the dark.  The club keeps control or lack thereof close to the vest. We’re more figureheads than a real committee. Something  to certify their allowances with . 

I suppose yes to the rest.  The association has a ghin login that interfaces with them.  It instantly sent out invite emails to us once email address was added.  Here’s the email I got. Has highlighted buttons on the bottom to setup a login from. This came a few seconds after we added my email.  

39357E40-5251-48BA-A705-97A4457468C2.png

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I haven't gotten a bunch of emails from the USGA lately, however, I have seen an increase in ink on dead trees membership solicitations.  I get maybe half a dozen or so emails per month from my state association that are either product/travel adverts, tournament adverts, or the twice monthly handicap updates.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:20 PM, bladehunter said:

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Locked out sometime last week.  I noticed last Saturday . 

yes. I’m voted on the committee. But I don’t have a login. I’m just like any association member. In the dark.  The club keeps control or lack thereof close to the vest. We’re more figureheads than a real committee. Something  to certify their allowances with . 

I suppose yes to the rest.  The association has a ghin login that interfaces with them.  It instantly sent out invite emails to us once email address was added.  Here’s the email I got. Has highlighted buttons on the bottom to setup a login from. This came a few seconds after we added my email.  

39357E40-5251-48BA-A705-97A4457468C2.png

So we've now gotten the culprit.

It's your local association who dropped the ball.

They send you DAILY emails so they had your email addy.

Yet they didn't coordinate with USGA/GHIN by giving them your CLUB members' email addresses.

Once GHIN GOT the email addy they notified you to set up your profile.

Case closed. :classic_smile:

Titleist Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I haven't gotten a bunch of emails from the USGA lately, however, I have seen an increase in ink on dead trees membership solicitations.  I get maybe half a dozen or so emails per month from my state association that are either product/travel adverts, tournament adverts, or the twice monthly handicap updates.

I got 3 emails per month from my local association.

2 revision notices (in season, once a month off season) and 1 "monthly".

Last revision notice I got was Jan 1. I expect I won't be seeing them anymore. But I guess I'll know tomorrow. :classic_laugh:

Titleist Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I got 3 emails per month from my local association.

2 revision notices (in season, once a month off season) and 1 "monthly".

Last revision notice I got was Jan 1. I expect I won't be seeing them anymore. But I guess I'll know tomorrow. :classic_laugh:

Why would you no longer get revision updates?