Switching Allegiances

Nelson.br.1515

I never used to have a brand preference but over the past year or two I've really become a fan of PING. Their stuff just works for me. Plus, I've had great experiences with their customer service and custom/repair department for adjustments needed to clubs. Stuff like that goes a long way for me. I got fitted in the Fall last year and went with a Mizuno combo in my sig.. I really like my setup but I still want a full PING bag, again.

I have no allegiances to any brand since none of them pay me to play their clubs. If you look at my signature and see all Ping up top it's because that's what I was fit for, I did my 3W and Hybrid in the summer and told the fitter just to fit me with what works best, don't care about brand, if I don't like look I'll bring it up. When I get fit again for new clubs in x years if I end up with a completely different bag I'm fine with that, if I end up with Ping woods and Srixon irons again then I know they work well for me. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

For over 30 years, I've been a Callaway woods guy, but with Ping irons.   With either Ping or Odyssey putters.

This past year I tested the Callaway Mavrik Pro irons, and I liked them.   They're a bit better than the Ping I3's I was playing with, probably due to improvements in shaft technology in that timeframe.

Now if Ping wants me to go to an all Ping bag, I'll take a $75000 sponsorship contract.   I'd be the first 16 handicapper with a contract.  

I'm a trailblazer

I did that as well. Was all in TM and went to Callaway for a little bit before circling back and actually putting a bag of favorites together. After a while, you do get bored and you start the chase again. Now Im into building a cobra set with some nice wedges and possibly a driver 3 wood combo in the mix. I like tinkering so it will never stop. I am finally over sticking with one brand. Now I have a mix bag which actually adds to the fun of putting it together. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Got into golf as a senior player and add on being a LH golfer.  That leaves many brands out.  Either they don't offer a LH option or for driver they only offer a 10.5.  The best fitter in the area and patient to work with an old guy getting into golf was a site that was also a Premier Titleist fitter.  So my bag, short of Ping SFT fairways, is all Titleist.  The Ping 7W was first since Titleist dropped the 7W after the 915. Now that I have T400 irons and TS-1 driver, maybe I should have looked at some Cleveland or Ping products earlier that were better designed for slower swing players.  But Titleist's new T400/TS-1 lines are competitive in the senior/women's market. and will see if the TSi-1 fairways can replace the SFT from Ping, as well as looking at the 425 Ping drivers.  The SM8 Vokey's also feel friendlier than past versions, so my bag is now closer to matching my ability.

Trying hybrids from 4 OEM's and irons from 6 OEM's would challenge my sanity.  I'm brand loyal for simplicity.

I am in the process of “switching” brand allegiances. I am currently play PXG, but have been somewhat disillusioned with them since they let go the team that hosted me at my Xperience.

Also, we sponsor a player and am going to switch to the line of clubs he plays....will be going all Titleist by March.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

No one needs allegiance to any brand, unless they sponsor you and pay you.  All these brands (even the ones we love), just want to make money off from us, so I'm very picky which one I choose.  My bag is very mixed,  TM Driver, Callaway 3 Woods, Mizuno Irons, etc.   I just buy what works the best for me at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy In Lyon said:

I was a Cleveland player for a number of years, everything except a putter. I sold everything before moving and wound up getting Ping gear, including putter. No particular reason really, just what I fancied at the time.

I had it all, the Cleveland Classic 4.5 was probably one of the best putters I've used!

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

I went Ping G410 woods after buying all new clubs and taking the game more seriously. Went Mizuno 919 HMP irons for the look, forgiveness, price, and most importantly being able to pick shafts and grips at no extra cost. Mizuno wedges for same reasons. Had an Odyssey 7s putter and didn’t care for it, Phantom X 5.5, and now the new Ping PLD.  Still have all 3 but may give the 2021 Phantom X 5.5 a go.  Also keep looking at Bettinardi 7.0.

My bag is all over the place. Mizzy irons, Ping hybrids and putter, Titleist Driver and fairway, Vokey wedges. I used to be all Titleist but in the past like 5 years have sort of let the clubs pick me as my game improved, and as a result my game improved. If that makes sense.

If I did have to only play one brand I'd go Ping.

Edited by DeadLetterOffice

What is this allegiance you speak of?

Prior to the age of 18, I was a big fan of Acushnet (Unknowingly of course). My first full set of irons were my dad's hand me downs. Cobra Baffler Blade II. I even played Pinnacle balls. As I got into high school, my first fitted irons were Titleist 981s and I played a Cobra SS 350 driver which still has my personal record longest drive. I even kept playing the Cobra Baffler 3 wood. Played all of that stuff for about 7 years.

Then at 25, I had my first great paying job and got a full bag fitting. It was TaylorMade. R9 TP irons, R9 Supertri TP driver, still Vokey wedges though. Got back into tournament golf, tried to get my PGA Card, played the best golf of my life. Still have the irons. Played an RBZ 3 wood for awhile. I've since added a Titleist 910 2h, and last year went to a TS2 driver (after failing with the TS3). 

A little more brand agnostic now with a Callaway UT, Wilson PMP 56, Mizuno 60, and Cleveland HB SOFT 11 putter. But any time I think of looking at something new, Titleist and TaylorMade are where I start. 

The only time I had a single brand bag was 6 or so years ago when I had recently gotten back into golf. All Callaway because new 2 year old stuff was pretty darn affordable. I used to think having a single brand was the only way to go. 

My bag is currently broken up between TM, Cobra, and Ping. I would love to have a full bag of Ping because they make solid stuff and I really like what they're about. But I'm going to keep playing what fits me best, which is why Mizuno is taking a spot when my 921 SEL's eventually show up.

Signature!