The Best Chipping Advice you have ever Received?

Mr_Wolfe

Probably getting to understand the "Sieckman/Pernice" method. I was always a "set up open,  hold on and rotate" guy and Pernice, especially, got me to me to understand that there's a different way that turned out to be much better for me.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Use the bounce by Monte Scheinblum.  Watched it a long time ago but did not implement.  Bad mistake.  Revisited and start using it.

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/use_the_bounce

Night and day number of up and downs before and after.  Can't count the number of strokes saved the last few months.

YMMV

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

This always boils down to how you define a chip and how much time you have to practice. A chip definition to me is get the ball on the green as soon as possible and allow it to roll out like a putt. Now as to the question of "why not just use the putter?" It's really not a bad option for most beginners and high capper's as they will end up closer to the hole using a putter, if it's possible (no hazards). In fact, it's a great option for everyone as long as you practice it a little. Like Dylgrisse said, it's the judging the running it thru the grass part that's tough. However, when there are hazards, you have to get over them. This is where the chip is more beneficial.

I was originally taught to chip by putting with loft (PWL) using a 6 and 8 iron (PW about 2 years later) and still do for 90 percent of my chips although the 8-6 is now a 9-7 due to strengthened lofts. You basically have a known 'stock carry to roll ratio' for each club and putt/chip to your spot on the green that allows for this ratio. It also reduces the dependency on spin. I'm not saying you don't sometimes need spin, but how many times did you mishit your little 'checker' that didn't check or stopped too soon?

IMHO this PWL is the best chipping method for those who don't have time to practice. It's more predictable and dependable under pressure, again for those who can't/don't/won't practice the other method(s). And you see a LOT of Tour players, young and old, still using it. It's admittedly not as sexy and an "old man' way to play golf, but it's worked very well for a long time and will continue to do so.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

NO matter how short a chip....... "accelerate down" through the ball.  Try it on the mat at the range.  Chip from one side of the mat to the other and stay on but still accelerate through the ball and down.  That's a tougher shot then regular length chips.... but you'll see how soft you can accelerate.

As far as wrists.... freeze them or bend them does not matter as long as you own it but if you're gonna bend them you better have "good hands" ..... infact if you got great hands its a shame not to use them as you can get great touch on the ball if you got the skills and you got no fear to break the mold that you have to freeze them.

Edited by Barfolomew

Can't figure how to like my own posts

14 minutes ago, MTgolfer said:

The best thing that ever happened to my short game was reading “your short game solution” by James Sieckman. I have been a decent player with a terrible short game my entire life and for some reason this book just clicked with me.

Agree, he successfully merged Pelz with some Seve and made it work. Really good stuff. But he (Sieckman) won't use the word 'chip' in his instruction.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

53 minutes ago, nitram said:

This always boils down to how you define a chip and how much time you have to practice. A chip definition to me is get the ball on the green as soon as possible and allow it to roll out like a putt. Now as to the question of "why not just use the putter?" It's really not a bad option for most beginners and high capper's as they will end up closer to the hole using a putter, if it's possible (no hazards). In fact, it's a great option for everyone as long as you practice it a little. Like Dylgrisse said, it's the judging the running it thru the grass part that's tough. However, when there are hazards, you have to get over them. This is where the chip is more beneficial.

I was originally taught to chip by putting with loft (PWL) using a 6 and 8 iron (PW about 2 years later) and still do for 90 percent of my chips although the 8-6 is now a 9-7 due to strengthened lofts. You basically have a known 'stock carry to roll ratio' for each club and putt/chip to your spot on the green that allows for this ratio. It also reduces the dependency on spin. I'm not saying you don't sometimes need spin, but how many times did you mishit your little 'checker' that didn't check or stopped too soon?

IMHO this PWL is the best chipping method for those who don't have time to practice. It's more predictable and dependable under pressure, again for those who can't/don't/won't practice the other method(s). And you see a LOT of Tour players, young and old, still using it. It's admittedly not as sexy and an "old man' way to play golf, but it's worked very well for a long time and will continue to do so.

Regarding putting from off the green, this golfer putts from off the green 10 times (no joke) more frequently than he did when he was a younger "cooler" golfer. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

Is the rotation an action or a reaction?  Tiger says he feels it all in his hands........chip like you putt can work, for a chip....low running mid iron type of shot.  You are correct, horrible advice for a soft pitch shot or a low spinner.  

I consider it an action. Putting stroke is a shoulder rock, chipping is shoulder rotation. When I saw it as that, it transformed chip & pitch game. The delegation of power & control is wider, hands still matter but their scope has been simplified. Pretty much nut every chip shot these days, but it did take a few months to re-work all this. Used to be too hands and arms. "Chip like you putt" works on funky semi-buried lies, it is not a consistent method on benign lies. 

I like using 1 club only (a 60 or whatever your preferred chipping club is) and then learning how to hit tons of shots by changing, setup, face angle, and impact dynamics. Low runners, low one hop and stop, high shots that stop with trajectory, high spinner, then learning to slightly fade or draw the ball with a chipping motion. Also STOP block practicing (chipping 20 balls to the same target from the same lie). Should be changing locations, fairway or rough, and shot types almost every couple shots. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

I like using 1 club only (a 60 or whatever your preferred chipping club is) and then learning how to hit tons of shots by changing, setup, face angle, and impact dynamics. Low runners, low one hop and stop, high shots that stop with trajectory, high spinner, then learning to slightly fade or draw the ball with a chipping motion. Also STOP block practicing (chipping 20 balls to the same target from the same lie). Should be changing locations, fairway or rough, and shot types almost every couple shots. 

Block practice to hone technique. Random practice to replicate "real" golf. Definitely both are needed, but should be more random practice than block, for sure, once one has developed a repeatable move.

• Like 2

Quite honestly, I'm still looking for the "game changer" when it comes to short game (trying to find it over the winter months). I'm quite mediocre and controlling flight and spin! Hit a lot of shots that I think are good off the face and end up 10+ feet away! 

I like the diversity of ideas in this thread! 

Edited by b.mattay

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

2 minutes ago, b.mattay said:

Quite honestly, I'm still looking for the "game changer" when it comes to short game (trying to find it over the winter months). I'm quite mediocre and controlling flight and spin! Hit a lot of shots that I think are good off the face and end up 10+ feet away! 

I like the diversity of ideas in this thread! 

Game changer for me was the "Jason Day/Steve Stricker" method where they keep their right arm straight for MUCH longer than I used to. I always had too much and too early wrist hinge. Could hit a lot of "cool" shots that way, but my consistency was not as good as I needed it to be for my level. I'll see if I can do some video of before and after when I get a chance. Short game is about the only thing I can do right now that doesn't kill my back.

• Like 1

Fascinating... I'm constantly grinding to have a better short game... and I don't think there is a more widely open subject; where everyone seems to have a technique that works fom him - that a-ha moment... Just from answers here (not even 24hrs in) - we have some pretty interesting thoughts, which can be mutually exclusive!... no wonder why I have no idea how to get better haha

Open face / Square face / Stand closer / Toe down
Use the bounce / Minivan acceleration
Follow through / accelerate through the ball
Don't break wrists / freeze your wrists / take the wrists out
Weight on front foot / use your hands & wrists
Right hand dominance
Padraig
Pernice / Sieckman (Pelz-Seve)
Putting with loft / 7-iron / Get the ball rolling / least loft possible
Hinge and hold
Use your chest / rotate and open chest
Straight back straight through
Use bigger grips

7 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Fascinating... I'm constantly grinding to have a better short game... and I don't think there is a more widely open subject; where everyone seems to have a technique that works fom him - that a-ha moment... Just from answers here (not even 24hrs in) - we have some pretty interesting thoughts, which can be mutually exclusive!... no wonder why I have no idea how to get better haha

Right hand dominance
Padraig
Hinge and hold
Use bigger grips

And in most of these cases what they think they are doing may very well not be what they ae doing.  Feel is not real.  IE....I play the stroke straight back and straight through.....but when someone videos that swing it definitely is NOT SBST.  OR I don't use my wrists then I chip.....but video will reveal that he does indeed use his wrists he just does not feel as though he does.

You have to try everything technique wise as well as feel wise to see what works for you both physically and mentally.  What you think you are doing may be totally wrong, but it'll work....for you.

Use the bounce 2.0 by Monte Scheinblum.  I bought the series for the 'vodoo' great reading technique after reading something on here.  But I actually got such a simple and effective set of short game principles.  Very, very good.  

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue St Max LS 9'
Titleist 915F 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70 15
Callaway Apex Pro 24 3,4,5 iron
Callaway Apex Pro CB 6 - 11 iron 
Vokey SM8 x 2
Scotty Cameron Newport

4 hours ago, Krt22 said:

A good putting stroke has a positive AoA, not ideal for chipping, even with a less lofted club. At that point why not just use the actual putter

Simply to get the ball airborne for a bit to clear some bumpy ground, the collar etc. yet still get the ball rolling on the green fairly quickly.  I use a basic putting stroke with a bit more weight on the left foot, same grip and motion.  But that's just one shot, certainly not a lofted pitch.  

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

48 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Right hand dominance
Padraig
Hinge and hold
Use bigger grips

LOL, I think you read and watch the same stuff I do.  If you haven't already check out Azingers short game stuff from the Golf Channel and go to Elks SITD site and watch his stuff with Phil Rodgers.  I have been deep diving into Larry Rinkers stuff as well.  All very similar, all of that generation seem to have hung out with Seve and some other guys like Utley who could really work magic. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, Obee said:

Game changer for me was the "Jason Day/Steve Stricker" method where they keep their right arm straight for MUCH longer than I used to. I always had too much and too early wrist hinge. Could hit a lot of "cool" shots that way, but my consistency was not as good as I needed it to be for my level. I'll see if I can do some video of before and after when I get a chance. Short game is about the only thing I can do right now that doesn't kill my back.

Been messing around with that method in the basement a bit! It has some promise for sure. The awkward part is needing to stand further from the ball so the lead arm hangs "angled out" rather than vertical. Feels super alien to me on a chip!

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

On 1/24/2021 at 5:15 PM, GoTime said:

"use the bounce"

Literally all you need to be a good chipper. You can literally “chunk” the ball 6 inches and still hit a good chip if the bounce is engaged.

Titleist TSi3 8.25* UST Lin-Q 7F5

Taylormade Sim Ti 15* UST Lin-Q 8F5

Mizuno Fli-Hi 2 Tensei Orange 100TX

Mizuno 223 Pro 4-GW DG TI X100

Taylormade TW MG3 56/60 BGT ZNE 130
Taylormade Spyder Aluminum Face (Still waiting for it in the Mail)

So many different techniques which can work. I think the biggest tip and realisation that I have come across is pick a method and stick to it. For a little while, I got stuck between so many different methods and tips that my chipping game went to pot. I was duffing chips, left right and centre.

During the course of last year, I decided simply to stick to one method - little to no wrist hinge and engaging the bounce. On that, the thing that really stuck with me is view the club coming into the ball like a plan coming into land. A plane wouldn’t land nose down and the club shouldn’t come into the ball with the front of the club down. Silly but effective for me and my short game was definitely hugely improved last year and the confidence that I had in it was really noticeable to me.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

3 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

So many different techniques which can work. I think the biggest tip and realisation that I have come across is pick a method and stick to it. For a little while, I got stuck between so many different methods and tips that my chipping game went to pot. I was duffing chips, left right and centre.

During the course of last year, I decided simply to stick to one method - little to no wrist hinge and engaging the bounce. On that, the thing that really stuck with me is view the club coming into the ball like a plan coming into land. A plane wouldn’t land nose down and the club shouldn’t come into the ball with the front of the club down. Silly but effective for me and my short game was definitely hugely improved last year and the confidence that I had in it was really noticeable to me.

There are a few ways to engage more bounce. So how are you engaging more bounce? Hands in center of stance to avoid de-lofting? Opening the face of the club? Toe down at address? Please elaborate.

Mr. Wolfe

16 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

There are a few ways to engage more bounce. So how are you engaging more bounce? Hands in center of stance to avoid de-lofting? Opening the face of the club? Toe down at address? Please elaborate.

Mr. Wolfe

Hand in the centre and then the feeling of gliding the club face in. Not against opening the face but just when the shot calls for it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023