Best way to get driver launch up but keep spin down...

Want to know what is the best way to increase launch angle, while keeping spin relatively low. Would a low spin head with a mid-high launch shaft be best or higher loft on the head with a low spin shaft? Keep in mind I mean low spin relatively, I realize that higher launch = higher spin for the most part, just don't want to lose distance from gaining too much spin.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Angle of attack matters for launch angle, not for spin values. Spin is dictated by vertical gear effects, so without a swing change, moving impact to minimum COG level will improve both launch angl

Hit it higher on clubface 

Increasing AoA is useless for managing spin unless you can do it without increasing the dynamic loft AND without making the face impact location worse (lower on the face).   Most am's can't manage tha

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, golfer55082 said:

Other than the equipment side as you are probably asking, a more upward Attack Angle (AoA) will help achieve a high Launch and low spin.  

Yeah thank you, I'm pretty steep in my swing but I'm good with the flight of everything else in my bag, so I'm just looking for the easy fix instead of changing my swing haha.

48 minutes ago, jacobanderson123 said:

Want to know what is the best way to increase launch angle, while keeping spin relatively low. Would a low spin head with a mid-high launch shaft be best or higher loft on the head with a low spin shaft? Keep in mind I mean low spin relatively, I realize that higher launch = higher spin for the most part, just don't want to lose distance from gaining too much spin.

Hit up on the ball.

And higher launch doesn’t mean higher spin. If the spin is too low the ball won’t stay in the air. 

• Like 2

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (10°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta or Stroke Lab Las Vegas
Ball: Bridgestone Tour BX
*Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup

If you want higher launch without changing your swing, more loft on the head is the most effective way to get there.  A "high launch" shaft just adds (dynamic) loft too, so both will add spin "all else being equal." 

A higher-loft head with a firmer-tipped shaft seems like a better recipe for control to me. 

Whether a higher loft head adds too much spin is something you would have to experiment to find out. Hitting it higher on the face will reduce spin more than anything else.

• Like 1
Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Exotics XCG 16* hybrid with Proforce V2
Titleist 909h 19* and 24* hybrids with NV 105
Adams CB3 5-iron with NV 105
Adams CB1 6 and 7-irons with RIP Tour 115 
Adams Pro Black MB 8-PW with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 52F-12 with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 56D-11 with RIP Tour 115
Vokey WedgeWorks 60T-04 with RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5

I remember watching one of TXG's older videos about this, and I found it to be true in my case as well.

I keep referencing TXG for their videos, and obviously its not scientific or concrete but good starting point.

Basically, the only way to influence launch angle to any significant degree is to change club head, with shafts having minimal impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VknJcSRoYrw

• Like 2

Broken record...hit up on the ball. During my last fitting, I was something like -8* AoA on my driver because I’ve been spending most of my practice time on irons swing. It sucks that there are different swings for driver and irons, but that’s golf. LST drivers only help so much. At the end of the day, learning to swing up or at least moderately neutral (pros are around -1*) is necessary to maximize your drive.

check out the ping chart for swing speed / spin / AoA to try to find your angle that will maximize your drives.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jacobanderson123 said:

Increasing AoA is useless for managing spin unless you can do it without increasing the dynamic loft AND without making the face impact location worse (lower on the face).   Most am's can't manage that (especially the first) and end up making the spin worse because of an increase in the dynamic loft delivered.

Best way to manage spin will depend on what's causing the problem in the first place.   Two most common causes of high spin are 1) face impact too low (use foot powder spray to judge) or 2) high dynamic loft delivered into impact (hands too far behind the ball at impact).

Shaft contribution to launch and spin us usually either small or vary unpredictable so it's usually not a good idea to try to chase numbers with shaft changes.   Pick the shaft for the best feel and the most consistent results and then use head characteristics (loft and c.g.) and face impact to manage the spin and launch (from the equipment standpoint).

Face impact and static loft is the easiest way for ams to manage spin although sometimes messing with tee height and ball position in the stance (forward/back) can help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

Angle of attack matters for launch angle, not for spin values.

Spin is dictated by vertical gear effects, so without a swing change, moving impact to minimum COG level will improve both launch angle and spin values.

If we take a 10.5 lofted head and FIX it in that position, and shot the ball against the face, this is how we can expect spin and launch values to change all due to impact position on the face.

1/8" UP = 240 rpm spin reduction and +0.35* on launch as average.

image.png.0c903aa5eb34489f7dfd7260597ec76b.png

I hope I’m not off here, perhaps my choice of wording is poor, but through gear effect,  strike location will produce different spin rates on each Driver head, (high on the face typically low spin, low on the face typically, high spin) but with two separate driver heads, one with a high VCOG and another with a low VCOG, wouldn’t a center face middle strike, produce two different spin rates, one higher than the other ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I don’t know what two drivers would be worth comparing in the past couple of years being I don’t know each ones VCOG, MOI, COG ..etc. maybe I’m inferring something that the data doesn’t support, but it seems like the logic behind my reasoning has merit🤔 

1. Tee it fairly high, 

2.ball position forward, left instep

3. Set up with some tilt to the right and head behind ball

4. Feel like hitting up on it

you will at some point start over doing it, at that point change your feel to swinging more level. 

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

47 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

1. Tee it fairly high, 

2.ball position forward, left instep

3. Set up with some tilt to the right and head behind ball

4. Feel like hitting up on it

you will at some point start over doing it, at that point change your feel to swinging more level. 

I’ve recommended this to a friend and he’s had success. Two teaching pros  on YouTube (I think they are brothers) called  “meandmygolf” call it the K-Bomb! It’s worth checking out. 

I need to change balls now to get my spin up a bit. Which leads me to say, maybe a ball change can help if your looking to reduce spin a little. With premium balls, there can be a change of 400rpm between a high spin premium Mizuno RB tour X and a low spin Bridgestone BX . 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

11 hours ago, jacobanderson123 said:

Yeah thank you, I'm pretty steep in my swing but I'm good with the flight of everything else in my bag, so I'm just looking for the easy fix instead of changing my swing haha.

You only get one spin axis. So if you want more launch with same or less spin, your ONLY option is to hit UP on the ball. And you'll need more ball speed if your side spin is more dominant over back spin.

Edited by Hack Daddy

Rogue Draw Rogue Silver 70g
Cobra Bio Cell 3W Rogue Black 80g
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 130X
Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 130X
Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
B330

13 hours ago, jacobanderson123 said:

It's certainly not unusual for us ams to be quite a bit better hitting off a tee than off the ground. Or vice versa.

Steep = spin. Can't get around it.

You don't want to change your swing so you're looking for equipment advice to fix the problem.

Don't know how anyone can give you that sort of advice without knowing what you play now. coffee.gif

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black