Darren Clarke using a golf cart

I've always liked Darren Clarke and he's playing some great golf these days.  I'm wondering, does he have some medical condition that he needs to use a cart, because aside from being overweight he looks pretty healthy swinging a golf club.  If he's just choosing to ride in a cart he should be embarrassed, I'm pretty sure that 75 year old Hale Irwin didn't use one.  I think they should dock healthy players under 65 a couple of shots per round if they want to ride.

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its true   Never saw Winston Churchill blow out his ACL now did you?

yes

i was shocked to see the shape Darren is in. I couldn't believe it when they showed him

Posted Images

Maybe he has a foot or knee issue, who knows

It seems only a handful of years back he was down to 180 lbs or so, there are some incredible pics of him at the Masters, couldn’t believe how thin he was

And I am not judging, I’m also a bigger guy like DC

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

Darren always had weight issues as long as I can remember (since the early 2000s).  He's the Oprah of golf.  Some years he's fit as a fiddle, other years he's a fat slob.  

Lately he's starting to look like Santa Claus.

• Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

23 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Darren always had weight issues as long as I can remember (since the early 2000s).  He's the Oprah of golf.  Some years he's fit as a fiddle, other years he's a fat slob.  

Lately he's starting to look like Santa Claus.

I didn't recognize him when I saw him last week. 

• Like 1

Having not seen him for a little while it was a shock.

At the Dunhill Cup 1998, he stood on my foot whilst he was wearing metal spikes. I was just not long 13 and watching him on the putting green before he teed off. There was quite a huddle around the putting green and I kind got pushed in his way as people were trying to get autographs. Not sure my right foot has every recovered from it haha.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

2 hours ago, Tommyj said:

I've always liked Darren Clarke and he's playing some great golf these days.  I'm wondering, does he have some medical condition that he needs to use a cart, because aside from being overweight he looks pretty healthy swinging a golf club.  If he's just choosing to ride in a cart he should be embarrassed, I'm pretty sure that 75 year old Hale Irwin didn't use one.  I think they should dock healthy players under 65 a couple of shots per round if they want to ride.

Why?

What’s the problem with him using a golf cart?

Hes playing golf. It’s a 

Golf cart.

See what I’m saying ; )

• Like 4

If you have foot, knee, or hip problems, which happens after a life of playing golf after living on planet earth for over 50 years, sometimes a cart is prudent and cuts down on the wear and tear.  Losing 40 lbs would help as well, sure, but come on its the Senior tour, it's more about nostalgia than real world class competition.  

I agree there should be walking only on the regular tours.  

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

1 hour ago, MattyO1984 said:

Having not seen him for a little while it was a shock.

At the Dunhill Cup 1998, he stood on my foot whilst he was wearing metal spikes. I was just not long 13 and watching him on the putting green before he teed off. There was quite a huddle around the putting green and I kind got pushed in his way as people were trying to get autographs. Not sure my right foot has every recovered from it haha.

DC like

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

If you have foot, knee, or hip problems, which happens after a life of playing golf after living on planet earth for over 50 years, sometimes a cart is prudent and cuts down on the wear and tear.  Losing 40 lbs would help as well, sure, but come on its the Senior tour, it's more about nostalgia than real world class competition.  

Huh?  I agree with the first part but Bernhard Langer and others are world class for their age.  I bet Langer is fitter than 90% of the posters here.

I think he likes his food, his bevs, and certainly his smokes.  Someone needs to chime in...don't think it takes much to get a cart on Champions....but I could be wrong.  One of my training journals mentions health risk increases at slightest bit of belly fat...just saying.  We should all strive to look and be out best...death and taxes suck!

Oh, he had Ventus Goose had the Hulk...I enjoyed the coverage.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

2 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Sure losing some weight would help but the Champions Tour allows them.

As for that tour being more about "nostalgia" i couldn't disagree more. some of those guys are world class players regardless of age. They are certainly the best in the world in their classification without a doubt.

24 minutes ago, KGGolf said:

As for that tour being more about "nostalgia" i couldn't disagree more. some of those guys are world class players regardless of age.

If they were 'world class' they would be competing and winning on the regular tour. Phil is the only one that might fall into that category, and he hasn't done much winning lately.

Top 5 in 2020 are Langer, Els, Sutherland, Jiménez, and Parel.

They are indeed world class, but only in their age group.

41 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I think he likes his food, his bevs, and certainly his smokes.  Someone needs to chime in...don't think it takes much to get a cart on Champions....but I could be wrong.  One of my training journals mentions health risk increases at slightest bit of belly fat...just saying.  We should all strive to look and be out best...death and taxes suck!

Oh, he had Ventus Goose had the Hulk...I enjoyed the coverage.

He lost like 60lbs a while back so I’m sure he’s aware he needs to “get with the program”

I think he will, it’s been a tough year, think he couldn’t see his wife for 5 months because of Covid. 

He’s my age. I got the fitness bug a few years back and now...

I crushing it! Resting heart rate like 46! Other day I thought it stopped completely, lol. 

The key, IMO, is to have a sustainable deficit, like 200-400 calories a day. At his weight, maybe a little more. But people try to go “all in” and you get a 250 pound guy trying to get by on under 1800 calories. 

They lose weight fast then....gain it back.

Its a lifestyle meaning...for life!

Run a 200-400 calorie a day deficit, maybe a little more if you’re very heavy, you’ll lose 2 or 3 pounds a month. Wouldn’t you rather be 40 pounds lighter in a year and a half but not starving all the time and have a diet you can keep going with and lose more. Than suck 50 pounds in 6 months then go nuts eating chips every day and gain it back?

And count your calories. I’m helping a buddy who is like 350. I ask him, “how many calories did you eat today?”

Hes like, “I ate an avocado, and yogurt, and a turkey burger etc”

I’m like, “I kill you! I asked you how many calories, gimme a freakin number!”

He tries to eat like 1800 calories and then he’s starving and goes and eats a box of cookies. I told him he can eat 2500 or more of good food in 4 or 5 meals and he’ll lose 100 pounds in a couple of years. 

Oh, and eat fish. A half pound of Icelandic cod has like 200 calories. 

A half pound ribeye has 600 ; )

Rant over, I’m hungry 😂

• Like 4

No medical reason that I am aware of.  It's a choice, either the player rides or caddy, but not both.  

Given how long the cart rule has been in effect, it's not hurting the field.  If Darrin wants to ride, I would have no issues with it, even if I (70yrs old) was in the field as a super-senior.  Maybe next year...me hopes.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX
1 minute ago, m d g said:

If they were 'world class' they would be competing and winning on the regular tour. Phil is the only one that might fall into that category, and he hasn't done much winning lately.

Top 5 in 2020 are Langer, Els, Sutherland, Jiménez, and Parel.

They are indeed world class, but only in their age group.

I disagree. By that logic, guys on the PGA tour that never win/compete aren't world class.

I would argue that the fact that they are able to even get into a PGA Tour event qualifies them as world class.

Just now, KGGolf said:

I would argue that the fact that they are able to even get into a PGA Tour event qualifies them as world class.

Now you're playing semantics.

They are playing in a sub-category of PGA tour events, and are only world class amongst their peers.

To me, world class means amongst the best in the world regardless of qualifiers. Major League baseball players are world class. Minor league players are not. NBA players are, NBA G-League players are not.

Are all of these sub-league players amazing? Certainly. But not the best of the best.

Maybe we can agree that 'world class' does mean that they can qualify for a regular tour event.

Let's see some of these guys tee it up in a Monday qualifier and play a regular tour event. Then they'd be 'world class.'

The line may be a bit fuzzy, but it's there.

• Like 1