Playing the Correct Tees?

Hogan9

I've been using the 5i*36 rule of thumb for years. It's basically equivalent to D*26. However, it's just a starting point. Weather, elevation, and layout can change things.

I'm also a big fan of combo tees. If a course has 500 to 600 yds between teeboxes, and no combo set(s), I'll make my own. I see too many courses with 6600 (Blue) and 6000 (White) tees. Most players just aren't going to play at 6000 yds, but 6300 or so would be fine.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

20 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I've been using the 5i*36 rule of thumb for years. It's basically equivalent to D*26. However, it's just a starting point. Weather, elevation, and layout can change things.

I'm also a big fan of combo tees. If a course has 500 to 600 yds between teeboxes, and no combo set(s), I'll make my own. I see too many courses with 6600 (Blue) and 6000 (White) tees. Most players just aren't going to play at 6000 yds, but 6300 or so would be fine.

Agree that the recent trend of combo tees has been a good thing. My course for example has the following:

Championship tees = 7600 yards (primarily used for tour players during the annual stop)

Blue tees = 7100 

Blue/Member combo = 6700

Member tees = 6350 (member tees)

Most of the better members (myself included) will typically play from the Blue tees, but when it's wet/cold or we're just looking for a change of pace for our weekend games we'll play the combo tees. Those tees make the par 5's more interesting and it's good to have that option without having to go as short at 6350.

• Like 1

Since most professionals are hitting 5s in 2, think about how many times you have truly been in the green on a 535 yard par 5. 
6700 is my sweet spot where I will hit anywhere between 9-14 greens. 

the male ego is very fragile and the thought of playing a shorter course isn’t even considered for an am golfer until you’re well into your 40s. 

As long as you are keeping up with the pace of play then you are fine playing whichever set of tees you like. 

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

On 1/25/2021 at 12:00 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

If you frequently have to hit more than a 7 iron into a green for a GIR on a par 4, you're playing the wrong tees.

Unfortunately for me, my club is a PGA stop, so many guests feel the need to get the 'championship experience' when playing a round and I frequently see people using the tips when they shouldn't.

Like what constitutes fast pace of play, the bold statement leans on ones bias, maybe even lack of long iron ability.  Like telling someone because of their age they shouldn't own a 500+hp-TT sports car that goes 200mph.  Assumption being he/she can't handle it.  I am here to tell you, this 70-year-old still flies around the track at 160+mph, faster than many much younger than me.  Thank goodness none of us have the power to make those determinations for others.

I've played many tour stops and tournament tees too.  Most of the time I play tees under 6700yds but there are those occasions were friends and I walk to the back tees.  I still like to be tested.  I am happy to say, though I am hitting more than 7i into long Par 4 greens, I still walk away with scores high 70s...  Why do I do it?  Because I like the test and still able to hit accurate long irons, maybe as well as others hit short irons.  Recently, 460yd Par 4 = Driver & 2i or 3i on, or to apron, SW or LW to tap in par.

You have a good day.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Played the black tees at Kapalua Bay yesterday with some rain and howling winds. There were times JP wished he hadn't but it's a resort, what the heck. Playing Plantation tomorrow, expect small rain but some more howling wind. He's driving really well but still, expects 160-180 into the wind approach shots. It is kind of survival mode at times. He expects bunkers may not be the worst place to be at times. It isnt the distances so much but needing to be below the hole as the with grain downhill putts can be...just incredibly brutal. Playing back just makes it so much harder to put the ball where it needs to be. That's the issue, approach shots into possibly vicious greens with decent wind...so it's the struggle to control the ball and...JP likes a challenge. Bring on the brutalz....

• Like 1

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

With hardly a handful of courses checking handicap before playing a certain tee, there really isnt a perfect answer to that dilemma. This question often falls on the player and their personal ability. With that being said, when I started playing the game it was always ladies tees, mens tees and the tips. The longer I have played the game, it became ladies tees, forward tees, back tees and the tips. Now course have color codes based on yardage distances of the course and how long of a golf course you want to play. Mind you, I have playing for about 20 years now and it took me about 10 of those years to actually start paying attention. New players into the game dont care about playing the right tees unless a seasoned golfer will make the call. Younger players will often play the furthest tees as it is a swing for the fences game when you first get started. The player who has been around longer will often fall into the forward or white tees as their skill level will start to reveal itself. I rarely made it to the back tees early in my game until I started to hit the drive consistently enough and with enough yardage. For me, it was more embarrassing to play the back tees and not hit the ball far enough to back it up. Yes their should be some sort of recommendation on the first few tee boxes as to what tee boxes you should be using based off of how far you hit the golf ball. This is more for the general public versus those that will hit the ball far now matter what. You make a good point in that players would enjoy the game more if they were hitting from short iron in versus having to pull out a hybrid or fairway wood for their second shot. That is where the player has to be educated by the golf course to play the tees based on how far they drive it off the tee. There is now harm in that at all. At the end of the day, it still takes another shot or two plus  a couple of putts to finish the hole. If your scores arent improving, the tee box you are playing from could be the culprit. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Another factor we take into account when selecting tees is the condition of the course. My group normally plays at 6250, but it's been really wet and cold here of late so we've moved up to 6000 yards. 

Also, I've noticed another trend that is helping us short knockers. During the season our staff doesn't water as much and the course plays fairly fast. If I can get twenty yards of roll on my drives, I can usually beat some of my longer buddies who are not as accurate.  However,  it always comes down to putting whether it's my senior group or the PGA Tour. If you make the six to eight footers you will win most of the time. 

• Like 3

On 1/28/2021 at 10:54 AM, krtgolfing said:

As long as you are keeping up with the pace of play then you are fine playing whichever set of tees you like. 

There’s another issue. If the group in front of you decides they’re fast enough and won’t let you through even if you have less players. 

especially conducive to 5somes who are members and already are feeling entitled because they go out with 5. 

keeping up with the group in front is ideal but the truth is most groups are oblivious 

Pace of play threads like this one has deteriorated into always remind me of the George Carlin idea that "anybody playing slower than you is an idiot and anyone playing faster than you is a maniac." 😉

• Like 2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

4 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

What do you do when your ball comes to rest on a 'fairway Divot'?

Well in the rules of golf under rule 33-1 a fairway divot is considered an imovable manmade obstruction, so you receive free relief from it.

The proper way to take relief is:

1. First mark where the ball is resting

2. Next you must determine where your nearest point of relief is that is no closer to the hole.

3. Once you have determined your nearest point of relief you mark that spot also with a tee or a coin

4. From there you get a full club length, and from there you drop within that club length.

(It’s important to remember when you drop the ball that it doesn’t go closer to the hole, and if it does you get to drop again. If the ball goes closer to the hole on the second drop you get to place the ball where the ball landed on the second drop. Also we must remember when we take relief and drop the golf ball there’s a proper way according to the USGA rules.)

How will this speed up play or ensure you are playing from appropriate tees?

I play the senior tees. I didn't pick up the game until I was 50 (65 now), so there was never much of an ego to assuage. To me, the game is hard enough as it is. If some folks enjoy hitting fairway woods into most par 4's and off the tee on par 3's, that's their business, but I'd rather have some fun and hit irons into greens. 

I see guys out there struggling to reach greens in regulation and getting frustrated, but they would rather suffer that, then bruise their fragile egos, lol. 

It's a GAME. If guys my age still feel the need to whip out their you know what's to see whose is bigger, they still have some growing up to do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I play the senior tees. I didn't pick up the game until I was 50 (65 now), so there was never much of an ego to assuage. To me, the game is hard enough as it is. If some folks enjoy hitting fairway woods into most par 4's and off the tee on par 3's, that's their business, but I'd rather have some fun and hit irons into greens. 

I see guys out there struggling to reach greens in regulation and getting frustrated, but they would rather suffer that, then bruise their fragile egos, lol. 

It's a GAME. If guys my age still feel the need to whip out their you know what's to see whose is bigger, they still have some growing up to do. 

I play with a lot of seniors. The vast majority have no chance of getting to the green in two. Heck, many can't do it in three. They're averaging 175 to 200 off the tee, and the woods are good for 150 yds max. Add in a few mishits and it's a long round. Short irons? Lol. That's for the third. 

Pace of play is generally good, as they don't have excessive preshot routines. It's their round, but I don't see the fun in hitting woods all day long. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 1/25/2021 at 6:35 AM, Hogan9 said:

I keep reading and hearing about the "Play It Forward" campaign. I've seen the charts and they all are based on driver distance. I'm 71 and while I'm not very long off the tee anymore, I rarely miss the fairway. Also, my short game and putting is very good. Some of the guys in my group drive the ball thirty or forty yards past me. However, we often walk off the green with the same score. Everything I read says golf should be fun. Frankly, it's more fun for me to post a low score than to tell everyone I played a nine iron into our 425 yard number one handicap hole. There is no question that distance is king today. Dustin Johnson has proved that, but isn't it interesting that he has the same number of majors as the other Johnson even though DJ probably out drives Zack by forty yards.  Granted DJ will probably win more majors. I think it's because he is a much better putter now than a few years ago. 

Anyway,  maybe it's ego or just not wanting to face Father Time, but once I stop having fun playing our 6250 yard tees, I will move up. 

Congrats on still going strong at 71. I find that our ego often dictates which tee we play from and not our ability. It happens all the time in the groups that I play with. Not very smart, but true 😄 

I'd love to play it forward and score better. 

On 1/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, llewol007 said:

it became ladies tees, forward tees, back tees and the tips.

Are forward tees different from the ladies' tees? I've always thought it's a non-gender specific term for ladies' tees.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Just now, Halebopp said:

Are forward tees different from the ladies' tees? I've always thought it's a non-gender specific term for ladies' tees.

You are correct. But when I started playing in the mid 90’s, even the ladies called it ladies tees. Didn’t mean it in the literal as we called the white tees the men’s tees and the blue tees where the back tees. Rarely did you see tips laid unless a course was having a tournament of some sort. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

2 minutes ago, Halebopp said:

Normally not.  Typically forward tees are the shortest tee set formerly known as the ladies tees.  However, the most forward tees could be junior tees which are almost never referred to as the forward tees.  Possibly the most non-standard aspect of golf; tee names!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Normally not.  Typically forward tees are the shortest tee set formerly known as the ladies tees.  However, the most forward tees could be junior tees which are almost never referred to as the forward tees.  Possibly the most non-standard aspect of golf; tee names!

Well, as courses do have yellow tees often used by juniors and seniors. The red tees would be your forward tees, white is middle and blue was back. You would have those three options. So unless you were a better player, you either played the reds or the white tees. So in some way, it did become a ladies tees and men’s tees attached to it. Although we called it that, it was not set in stone. I had lady friends who were college players playing off the white tees with men because their game was that much better and they hit the ball longer than some of the guys I grew up playing with. It essentially was basing it on the yardage of the course you wanted to play. Nothing more than that. 

Edited by llewol007

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

There are no "correct" tees.  Play what you want as long as you are happy and aren't slowing anyone down.

• Like 1

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

4 minutes ago, llewol007 said:

Well, you are incorrect. As courses do have yellow tees often used by juniors and seniors. The red tees would be your forward tees, white is middle and blue was back. Although we called it that, it was not set in stone. I had friends whose were women college players playing off the white tees with men because their game was that much better and they hit the ball longer than some of the guys I grew up playing with. 

Don't understand your post.

15 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I need to keep that in mind in the future to have a better understanding of what people are talking about. 🙂

Most courses around here have ladies' tees, ladies' tournament tees, men's tees and men's tournament tees. Some courses have an additional set of championships tees pushed way back and easy tees set up somewhere on the fairway.

But I do hope we could move on to calling each tee by their colours to make it slightly easier for men to move forward. 🙂 It's surprisingly common for men to complain about how far back the regular tees are and ask for them to be moved forward but flat out refuse to play even from the ladies' competition tees. :classic_blink:

Edited by Halebopp
  • Thanks 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

1 minute ago, Halebopp said:

I need to keep that in mind in the future to have a better understanding of what people are talking about. 🙂

Most courses around here have ladies' tees, ladies' tournament tees, men's tees and men's tournament tees. Some courses have an additional set of championships tees pushed way back and easy tees set up somewhere on the fairway.

But I do hope we could move on to calling each tee by their colours to make it slightly easier for men to move forward. 🙂 It's surprisingly common how much men complain about how far back the regular tees are and ask for them to be moved forward but flat out refuse to play even from the ladies' competition tees. :classic_blink:

Agree with that.  A large part of changing the tee designation was to encourage male players to move forward.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 11:45 AM, sui generis said:

These types of threads invariably turn into Johnson contests. 😉

Yep - except those with little Johnson's got nothing to compete with.  They can only talk. lol

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

7 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Don't understand your post.

I think he was agreeing with you. Kinda. :classic_wacko:

At least the last sentence of yours. :classic_biggrin:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

27 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Unless and until courses are posting the men's and women's ratings/slope for each tee on the card, you're gonna still have the "ladies tees" called the ladies tees.

Edited by SNIPERBBB

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind