9 minutes ago, Halebopp said:

I need to keep that in mind in the future to have a better understanding of what people are talking about. 🙂

Most courses around here have ladies' tees, ladies' tournament tees, men's tees and men's tournament tees. Some courses have an additional set of championships tees pushed way back and easy tees set up somewhere on the fairway.

But I do hope we could move on to calling each tee by their colours to make it slightly easier for men to move forward. 🙂 It's surprisingly common for men to complain about how far back the regular tees are and ask for them to be moved forward but flat out refuse to play even from the ladies' competition tees. :classic_blink:

Good luck.

Here in the States, as llew was saying (I think), way back when there were basically only 3 tee sets, front, middle, back.

Or, if you prefer, ladie's (red), men's (white) and tips (blue).

Nowadays, fuggedaboutit. Red and white still seem to be about the same but yellows (or gold) can be "senior's",,,, OR the tips.

Blacks are pretty new(?); to me anyway, but I've seen them way back (tips) OR way forward as senior's. :classic_wacko: Blues I've only seen somewhere back of white - maybe just behind the white or all the way back (tips).

Even some green tees around here. Slightly behind whites.

So what's in a color ? :classic_tongue:

• Thanks 1

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd be willing to bet that DJ outdrives Zack Johnson by closer to 80 yards rather than 40.  But, you are right that they have the same number of majors.  I'm not too sure how many more that DJ will wi

Another factor we take into account when selecting tees is the condition of the course. My group normally plays at 6250, but it's been really wet and cold here of late so we've moved up to 6000 yards.

Is there a set of tees in front of the "mens" at your course? If those approach distances are detracting from your enjoyment of the game then why not move up to the more forward tees on the longer hol

1 minute ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Unless and until courses are posting the men's and women's ratings/slope for each tee on the card, you're gonna still have the ladies tees called the ladies tees.

Most places have a couple of tees rated for women on the card.  Sometimes 3 tees, but sometimes only one (especially older courses).  I always appreciate when courses rate the longer tees for women, but understand why tees greater than 6500 yards or so (sea level) are rarely included.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Agree with that.  A large part of changing the tee designation was to encourage male players to move forward.

Some courses have moved on to numbering the tees because even the colours themselves carry the "stigma". If the course is 6137 meters from a given set of tees, the tees are named "61".

As a rules official on an unfamiliar course the numbers can get confusing when you try to remember which tees need to be set up and which ones to remove while also doing all the other pre-round checks, like ensuring holes are in the right location etc. 🙂

• Like 2

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
D & 3W: ST 180 / 21º, MP-H5 / 4-PW: MP-4 / 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: Hi-Toe / Evnroll ER-7

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Good luck.

Here in the States, as llew was saying (I think), way back when there were basically only 3 tee sets, front, middle, back.

Or, if you prefer, ladie's (red), men's (white) and tips (blue).

Nowadays, fuggedaboutit. Red and white still seem to be about the same but yellows (or gold) can be "senior's",,,, OR the tips.

Blacks are pretty new(?); to me anyway, but I've seen them way back (tips) OR way forward as senior's. :classic_wacko: Blues I've only seen somewhere back of white - maybe just behind the white or all the way back (tips).

Even some green tees around here. Slightly behind whites.

So what's in a color ? :classic_tongue:

So true, things have changed a lot and believe me, some courses around here  have up to 6 tee options. Pretty crazy. Some courses had starters that would ask to see your handicap card if you wanted to play the back tees. Now most general courses do not have a starter at the tee box at all nor if they did, they don’t dare ask. I loved the tee it forward program that was being pushed a while ago so that new players coming into the game as well as more seasoned players would have a variety of tees making the game more fun to get around the course. 

Edited by llewol007
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade R1 Motore Speeder 757X
TaylorMade Aeroburner 15* Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Wilson Staff Blades Black Recoil 95S 4-Pw

Wilson Staff Model 52/56/64 TI X100

TaylorMade Ghost Tour Long Neck
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

On 1/30/2021 at 9:26 AM, Hogan9 said:

Another factor we take into account when selecting tees is the condition of the course. My group normally plays at 6250, but it's been really wet and cold here of late so we've moved up to 6000 yards. 

Also, I've noticed another trend that is helping us short knockers. During the season our staff doesn't water as much and the course plays fairly fast. If I can get twenty yards of roll on my drives, I can usually beat some of my longer buddies who are not as accurate.  However,  it always comes down to putting whether it's my senior group or the PGA Tour. If you make the six to eight footers you will win most of the time. 

Well said and we do something similar at my club for our weekend games. It's pretty much only 4 caps and better so in the spring, summer, and fall we play from 7100 yards, but in the winter when it's cold and wet (due to the bermuda fairways never drying) we move up to a combo set that is around 6750.

Aside from a few the par 3s you really end up having the same distance for approach shots into most holes once you account for the temps and the fact that the ball isn't rolling out at all on your drives. 

Golf course management can't make every customer happy when it comes to tee yardages.  They try to accommodate those that frequent the course, but more, set up the course yardages to accommodate charter target customers.  That usually means the correct tee is the yardage closest to the players' skill level, as opposed to age, and color of tees may or may not indicate anything. 

In CA "Red" tees are disappearing at some courses, while other courses are including Green tees so short hitting fragile ole seniors don't have to play those dastardly "Red" woman's' tees.  Some courses are installing Green tees way short of Red for ole farts and kids.  I like the courses that provide rated Combo tees which usually include Black & Blue or Blue & White tees = 6500+. 

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei AV White "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
39 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Most places have a couple of tees rated for women on the card.  Sometimes 3 tees, but sometimes only one (especially older courses).  I always appreciate when courses rate the longer tees for women, but understand why tees greater than 6500 yards or so (sea level) are rarely included.

Unfortunately around here I think I can count with my ears the number of women that voluntarily played from the whites at our course.  First one was a girl playing in a junior tournament my dad ran because she wanted to play against the boys.  Second one was a resident at our hospital that played college golf...and hit it past most of guys I play with. Given the rural area I'm in, I doubt I'll see much more though the girls golf teams are exploding around here.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

17 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Unfortunately around here I think I can count with my ears the number of women that voluntarily played from the whites at our course.  First one was a girl playing in a junior tournament my dad ran because she wanted to play against the boys.  Second one was a resident at our hospital that played college golf...and hit it past most of guys I play with. Given the rural area I'm in, I doubt I'll see much more though the girls golf teams are exploding around here.

It is the same here.  I doubt there are more than a handful here in the valley that regularly play back of forward other than myself (there are a couple of older pros - not sure about them).  Probably the college kids although they played unofficial combo tees when they practiced at our club in years past.  I don't think the HS kids play anything, but forward around here.  It is sort of a golf wasteland here though.

1 hour ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Unless and until courses are posting the men's and women's ratings/slope for each tee on the card, you're gonna still have the "ladies tees" called the ladies tees.

So what set of tees are the "ladies" tees when three out of four (or five) sets of tees are rated for women? I've played numerous courses with five sets of tees that had men's ratings on the back four, and women's ratings on the front three or four. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

8 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

So what set of tees are the "ladies" tees when three out of four (or five) sets of tees are rated for women? I've played numerous courses with five sets of tees that had men's ratings on the back four, and women's ratings on the front three or four. 

They're just the ladies tees when they only have one set of rated tees...on the card.

Edited by SNIPERBBB

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

31 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

They're just the ladies tees when they only have one set of rated tees...on the card.

Sorry, but almost all of the courses that I've played have multiple tees rated for women. 

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

It is a different world out there, almost like society wants to do away with gender. Although personally, why is there still gender specific tees on golf courses? For a lot of municipal courses, three sets of tees would be sufficient, and 4, maybe 5 for upscale courses. Never a need for gender specific tees, and a good idea would be to remove the stigma'd color red tees. Most of this has pretty much be said, in other words, but this is my thoughts, tweak with your own opinions:

Municipal course at 6600 yards:

1) black or blue = back tees low cap 6600 yds

2) white = avg golfers  5600-6200

3) Green = front tees for shorter hitters 5000-5400 yds

On an upscape 7000 yard course, maybe this arrangement:

1) black = back tees or tips for elite golfers 7000yds

2) blue = for low cap golfers  6300-6600 yds

3) white = avg golfers 5500-6200yds

3) Green = front tees for shorter hitters 5000-5400 yds

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

IMHO, teeboxes should be 300 yds apart. Combo tees should be used when necessary. My old home course used to have 6600 yd blue tees, and 6000 yd white tees. Oy. Basically no men would play the whites, and the blues would kick their a**ses on this windy course. After years of kvetching they finally added a blue/white combo. 

Using the 5i*36 rule of thumb, the long hitters should have been playing 7000+ yds, and the short hitting (200 yds) seniors and women should have been playing 5200 yds. Sorry, but there's simply no way to accommodate this with 4 tee boxes.

As the game expands to include more players, there should be a minimum of four teeboxes with three combo tees 250 to 300 yds apart. Ideally there would be five teeboxes with four combos. The beauty of combo tees is that they require zero extra maintenance. They're simply an extra rating on a scorecard. 

I just finished playing Papago GC in Phoenix, a local muni. It happens to be the home course for Arizona State University. It has four teeboxes with three combos ranging from 5738 yds to 7316 yds. The combos are roughly 250 yds apart. 'Good combination. 

Edited by Argonne69

On 1/31/2021 at 1:25 AM, Argonne69 said:

I play with a lot of seniors. The vast majority have no chance of getting to the green in two. Heck, many can't do it in three. They're averaging 175 to 200 off the tee, and the woods are good for 150 yds max. Add in a few mishits and it's a long round. Short irons? Lol. That's for the third. 

Regardless of age, isn't that what handicaps are for?

• 2 months later...

I’m a little late to this post - sorry for that. We only have one tee position for mens at my home course and I have to hit 80, 164, 190, 180, 110, 130, 130, 175, 140, 218, 142, 175, 140, 140, 190, 160, 165, 80 yards on average into the greens. My GiR is 39%.

Now I’m wondering: Do I have to search for a shorter course in order to get my HCP into single digits?

Edited by dennispullhook
2 hours ago, dennispullhook said:

I’m a little late to this post - sorry for that. We only have one tee position for mens at my home course and I have to hit 80, 164, 190, 180, 110, 130, 130, 175, 140, 218, 142, 175, 140, 140, 190, 160, 165, 80 yards on average into the greens. My GiR is 39%.

Now I’m wondering: Do I have to search for a shorter course in order to get my HCP into single digits?

As the Course Rating will come down as the course shortens it won't make much difference.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, dennispullhook said:

Imo, those distances for second shots into the green are not excessive.  Improving GIR can be achieved with practice; your score could perhaps be improved with a better scrambling stat.

• Thanks 1
On 4/27/2021 at 2:58 AM, dennispullhook said:

Is there a set of tees in front of the "mens" at your course? If those approach distances are detracting from your enjoyment of the game then why not move up to the more forward tees on the longer holes and make the adjustment to the course rating and slope as defined by the USGA in Appendix G to the Rules of Handicapping? 

If your goal is to lower your handicap playing shorter courses with easier ratings it might actually have the opposite effect as pointed out by someone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 4/27/2021 at 7:41 AM, rogolf said:

Imo, those distances for second shots into the green are not excessive.  Improving GIR can be achieved with practice; your score could perhaps be improved with a better scrambling stat.

Right. The average is 150 yds, or approximately a 7 iron. The general rule of thumb is to play a length where the average approach is a 7 iron.

Agreed that practice is in order. Ignoring the flag, and firing at the middle of the green, one should be able to hit half of the greens that are less than 150 yds.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:58 AM, dennispullhook said:

it depends on your abilities—what clubs are you hitting there? For my game that looks like a fair mix of wedges, mid irons, hybrids, and a fairway wood on the 218. Regardless of my score, I would derive enjoyment from that variety of approach shots.

• Like 1
On 2/4/2021 at 6:02 AM, phil75070 said:

I'm of the opinion that as long as a set of tees has been rated for men there should be no stigma applied for playing from them. There could be a myriad of reasons to play from shorter tees including age, injury, disability, wanting to practice certain parts of one's game.......FUN! 

I've now seen many guys playing the "forward" tees that are not only THE tees that they need to be playing from for their distance, but make the game a heck of a lot more enjoyable for them.

There's a lot of people out there that enjoy playing the game that due to any number of reasons will never really see that much improvement or distance gain. But there's no reason those people can't go out and enjoy the game with the swing they've got.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1