2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TSi4 news?!

Whodamon1

3 hours ago, Shilgy said:

So much for that idea. The TSi3 beat out the new TSI4 and my TS4 today. 5-6 mph more ball speed and more forgiving with the TSi3. For that I can get over the larger size. Sticking with the current shaft, PX Riptide CB. 

Wow interesting result. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see how the tsi4 compares to the sim 

FWIW, I hit the TSi4 on Thursday next to my TSi3. I picked up a full 5MPH ball speed from the TS3 to TSi3, same shaft, just a head change. Ultimately I went to a different shaft for my TSi3. I did the same comparison TSi3 to TSi4, same shaft, just a head change. Basically identical ball speed, spin rate literally about 700RPM lower. I'm not a typical WRX golfer that hits it 390 on the fly with a +8.2 index. I was a decent player a long time ago, don't play much now, my index is up to 1.9 now and I don't get after it as much as I used to. 

From memory here so bear with me, approximately 155MPH ball speed with both heads (plus or minus a MPH or two), 2500-2600 RPM with the TSI3 8 degree head at B2 (3/4 degree upright), carry in the 255-260 range, About 1700'ish RPM with the TSi4 head, 8 degree set to D4 (8.75 degrees of loft, standard lie), carry in the 260-265 range. I don't remember what the total distance numbers were as it's just an algorithm for rollout that I don't put a ton of trust into as each course, fairway, weather condition is different. The fitter commented on the attack angle as at one point it was like +7 or something? At any rate, his comment was "I didn't even know that was possible" which may be why I have needed to go down to the lower lofted driver over the years. 

Bottom line, for me, same ball speed, way lower RPM, and the loft with the lower spin had to go up higher to get the carry right, but wow was it a penetrating flight that looked like it just carried forever. Obviously it doesn't, but it was visually more of a flatter sustained trajectory vs. ballooning, and according to the Trackman numbers, it carried as far or slightly farther, with way less spin.

For me, the leading edge looked very straight, and not a bulge / rounded face shape like the TSi3. Honestly I didn't like the looks at first, but that spin rate changed my mind on that really quickly. The leading edge view from above didn't look at all like the pics I have seen online. Your results and opinions may vary. 

Edited by azoufan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, azoufan said:

FWIW, I hit the TSi4 on Thursday next to my TSi3. I picked up a full 5MPH ball speed from the TS3 to TSi3, same shaft, just a head change. Ultimately I went to a different shaft for my TSi3. I did the same comparison TSi3 to TSi4, same shaft, just a head change. Basically identical ball speed, spin rate literally about 700RPM lower. I'm not a typical WRX golfer that hits it 390 on the fly with a +8.2 index. I was a decent player a long time ago, don't play much now, my index is up to 1.9 now and I don't get after it as much as I used to. 

From memory here so bear with me, approximately 155MPH ball speed with both heads (plus or minus a MPH or two), 2500-2600 RPM with the TSI3 8 degree head at B2 (3/4 degree upright), carry in the 255-260 range, About 1700'ish RPM with the TSi4 head, 8 degree set to D4 (8.75 degrees of loft, standard lie), carry in the 260-265 range. I don't remember what the total distance numbers were as it's just an algorithm for rollout that I don't put a ton of trust into as each course, fairway, weather condition is different. The fitter commented on the attack angle as at one point it was like +7 or something? At any rate, his comment was "I didn't even know that was possible" which may be why I have needed to go down to the lower lofted driver over the years. 

Bottom line, for me, same ball speed, way lower RPM, and the loft with the lower spin had to go up higher to get the carry right, but wow was it a penetrating flight that looked like it just carried forever. Obviously it doesn't, but it was visually more of a flatter sustained trajectory vs. ballooning, and according to the Trackman numbers, it carried as far or slightly farther, with way less spin.

For me, the leading edge looked very straight, and not a bulge / rounded face shape like the TSi3. Honestly I didn't like the looks at first, but that spin rate changed my mind on that really quickly. The leading edge view from above didn't look at all like the pics I have seen online. Your results and opinions may vary. 

Did you order the TSi4? 

13 minutes ago, azoufan said:

Wow...going to agree with the fitter, those are some *WILD* numbers. I'm fascinated how you could get 7* up and still have 2,500 rpms on a TSi3.

MGS just released their 2021 driver numbers today, obviously not perfect and different for each user, but does give you a general idea where these things fall in the offerings. 

TSi4: 2,302 rpms (2nd)

TSi3: 2,386 (9th)

TSi2: 2,447 (19th)

TSi1: 2,806 (33rd)

3 minutes ago, gators78 said:

Wow...going to agree with the fitter, those are some *WILD* numbers. I'm fascinated how you could get 7* up and still have 2,500 rpms on a TSi3.

MGS just released their 2021 driver numbers today, obviously not perfect and different for each user, but does give you a general idea where these things fall in the offerings. 

Like I said, I'm not as good as I used to be, so for all I know that was just one or two swings with that attack angle. Nobody is accusing me of being Mr. Consistency with as little as I play these days. The one thing that was consistent for me was a significant reduction in spin rate with the TSi4 vs. the TSi3. The numbers you posted there are likely done with either machines or golfers that are way more consistent than I am. I definitely saw a reduction many order of magnitude more than the difference the MGS numbers you shared above. Again, everyone else's results may vary from mine. 

I have not ordered the TSi4 yet, I had a 3 day event this past weekend so I was focused on that vs. figuring out what driver to use. Now that Monday has come, you can see where I'm spending my time, haha. I am definitely going to order the TSi4, I'm just struggling with the fact that I just bought the TSi3 2 months ago. It's only money I guess, you gotta pay to play. That's what I'm trying to tell myself anyway. 

A quick look at the numbers from my FlightScope Mevo over the past month or so shows me mostly in the 2,400 to 2,600 RPM range with the TSi3. There's the odd outlier of 1,900 and 3,000 (Mr. Consistency strikes again!) but that's the general area. I am still shocked at the massive reduction in spin that I saw with that TSi4 head. 

3 hours ago, gators78 said:

For tsi4 and tsi3 being 2nd and 9th with 84rpm difference says alot with the keeping up with the competition. With sound and looks makes it a no brainer why tour pros wanting the tsi3

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, teude said:

Yep..  I watched this earlier.   I would not exactly call it a ringing endorsement.. he really struggled to find the fairway... but the one he DID catch on the screws......... 🙂   

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

It's worth taking a look at the 2nd Swing review video. This is a usable low spin driver for certain players. For many (most) they would get far more optimal numbers to play golf with using a different product. For me that product is the TSi 2 - forgiveness and great spin for the actual golf course

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2021 at 10:49 AM, FOOTJOY16 said:

Yep..  I watched this earlier.   I would not exactly call it a ringing endorsement.. he really struggled to find the fairway... but the one he DID catch on the screws......... 🙂   

I characterize Shiels as a golf entertainer, not a club reviewer. Just my take on the guy.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

11 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Yeah, you have to take his reviews like a grain of salt.  

Totally agree with you both.  When it comes to actual club performance I usually just rely on TXG to give me the real data.  Matt is like a human iron Bryon.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wonka said:

If you struggling with attack angle (low side) The TSi4 will bite you in the Word not allowed?

4 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

No doubt about it!

Low as in overly positive angle of attack(and low spin) or actually a low low angle, near level?

IG: instagram.com/launchedgolf                                      

G430 LST Tour 2.0 Black 65X

TSR2+ HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.5                  
UW 19* MMT  (G430 19* Hybrid Kai'li 80X)
'24 Apex 23* MMT 105X

'24 Apex CB 5-11, DGX100

SM9 54/10M
Jaws Full Toe 58*

Ping Redwood Anser (the original Redwood)

On deck: Paradym Super Hybrid 21*, TSR3 24* hybrid, Apex CB 4-11, Apex MB 8-10, Apex Pro 4-6, Apex UT 23*, Apex UW 19*  Something has to fill the gap between that 8-iron and the driver

18 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

I characterize Shiels as a golf entertainer, not a club reviewer. Just my take on the guy.

I'm curious to know if someone with your speed would be looking at the TSi4? I recall you smothering that TSi3, but was curious to hear your thoughts. 🙂

• Like 1

Titleist....

On 2/22/2021 at 2:53 PM, azoufan said:

Just curious.

Since COR/CT/whatever has more or less been maxed out for 15+ years now, to what would you attribute an additional 5 mph ball speed ?

And forgiveness ? How'd that work out ? The "4" is reputed to be a fair bit less forgiving than the others.

I mean you do realize that at 1700 back spin your spin axis ("side spin") better be consistently low/good,,,,,,,,, otherwise that ball will die like a wounded duck and (usually) snap hook,,,,,,,,,,,,

I recall reading just today(?) about "chasing" a lower spin rate and what the "cost" is.

According to flightscope your spin reduction from 2500-1700 would result in approx 2.7 yards additional carry. Rollout  would increase about 12 yards on firm fairways.

Worth the loss of control on wayward shots ? Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, MrShield said:

Anyone else noticed that TSi4 actually ranked as more forgiving than TSi3 in Most Wanted M/G/S Driver test. 

I really don't need to know that... 🙂

1 minute ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Going to order as soon as I can test it at the range outside.  Trying to do things different this year like try before I buy😂

I dig it...

21 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Just curious.

Since COR/CT/whatever has more or less been maxed out for 15+ years now, to what would you attribute an additional 5 mph ball speed ?

And forgiveness ? How'd that work out ? The "4" is reputed to be a fair bit less forgiving than the others.

I mean you do realize that at 1700 back spin your spin axis ("side spin") better be consistently low/good,,,,,,,,, otherwise that ball will die like a wounded duck and (usually) snap hook,,,,,,,,,,,,

I recall reading just today(?) about "chasing" a lower spin rate and what the "cost" is.

According to flightscope your spin reduction from 2500-1700 would result in approx 2.7 yards additional carry. Rollout  would increase about 12 yards on firm fairways.

Worth the loss of control on wayward shots ? Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,

Not directed at me but....coming from the TS4 I found the same thing with the new TSi line. 5 more mph ball speed with the same club speed. TSi3 is on order. I will be using my current shaft though....PX Riptide CB.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar