Converting to graphite

Reesestix85

So my left shoulder surgery has failed again, for the 5th time. My right is equally messed up (hypermobility disorder), so I feel like my best bet is to switch over to a set of graphite irons/wedges. I need to do something to alleviate some of the stress/pain, a 6th surgery is off the table. Have any of you made the switch to graphite? What pitfalls do I look to avoid?  Cost is a huge issue, so maybe building a set? I'm just looking for a way, any way, I can continue to golf...

Thanks.  

There are a number of graphite shafts out there that are light.  Just takes due diligence to find the ones priced within your range.  From my experience $30 - $60 ea shaft is pretty common.  Though there are more expensive shafts.  Sets can have better prices. 

I made the switch to graphite too.  Finding the right profile might take time, it took a while for me.  The most common pitfall is coming from heavier steel to graphite is choosing the wrong weight, bend profile and getting the correct SW. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I made the shift from 120g steel to 95g graphite. Bit bigger jump then usual, part of it was getting a set used with them in it. So many good shafts out there, if you are very sensitive to feel/loading you want to try as a Recoil is different then a SF then a KBS etc....and within the families they have different feels. I play 110g in the wedges for a bit more heft. As a rabid practicer, tendonitis has all but been eliminated. I hope the same for you! 

If you are not too sensitive, get the weight and start shopping. You can find pulls pretty easily with the more popular ones if you are cost sensitive: I get not wanting to shell out 50-75 new for a shaft. Recoil, Steel Fibers are common pulls for example. 

- b

• Like 2

I started out playing graphite when I was 14 and bought my first set of clubs(almost 20yrs ago 😟). Played those for probably 5-6 years and got a set of Adams A4 irons with stock graphite shafts. Played those for 3-4 years as well. Then made the switch to heavier steel shafts. After probably 4 sets of steel irons, I just went back to the Steelfiber FC90cw this season. I have never had any tendinitis or other joint injuries luckily. I just prefer the feel of graphite. My driver ss at the moment average is 113. 

Very interesting topic...  I have never considered graphite shafts in my irons/wedges.  I used to play DG x100's but now play soft stepped DG s300's.  I enjoy hitting balls at the range almost as much as playing.  It is not uncommon for me to hit 200-300 balls a week at the range...  20 years ago when I played just about every day that was not a problem.  I never had any stiffness in my wrists, elbows or shoulders.  Now that I have started playing again and hitting balls at the range I have some pain in my left elbow, both wrists and occasionally in my left shoulder.  It typically takes 25 to 30 balls to loosen up now but will still have a knifing like pain in my left elbow from time to time...

When you guys switched to graphite shafts was it due to them being easier to swing because of the lighter weight?  Due to the absorption properties of graphite?  Or, a combination of both?

I recently purchased a mint set of PING S55's with the stiff CFS shafts...  I was planning to re-shaft them with DGs...  out of curiosity I went to the range yesterday and hit a bucket of balls and kind of liked the lighter weight CFS shaft.  I thought I would have a difficult time feeling the club through my swing but didn't have that experience at all...  now I am intrigued with lighter iron shafts and if going to graphite would reduce the soreness I am experiencing it may be an option I would be willing to consider.

I never would have thought about it until after my last surgery I was fooling around at a friends sim, and his dads senior flex graphites were sitting in the corner. I was amazed at the feel and ease that I was able to swing them and without pain. I use x100's currently, switching from s300s 2 years ago, and just need something to feel less harsh. I'll have to look at weight profiles and see whats going to be a good fit. May be able to get away with pulling heads and using a heavier graphite. 

• Like 1

Graphite shafts after elbow surgery. Going from fairly light weight steel to graphite 95gr was not noticeable.

Finding places to demo graphite is much more difficult than steel.  Depending on your location, trial and error of diffrent brands might be necessary.  One plus side of trial and error is being able to use them on a familiar course.

Cost wise the incrementl cost when buying new irons may not be much more than steel.  The upcharge for graphite can vary quite a bit between retailers selling the exact same club.        

• Like 1

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

For several years I had wrist and elbow pain after each round. By the end of the season I couldnt pick up a glass of water without pain. I used Ping shafts with the cushin inserts with some sucess for a few years but even using those the pain would be there. Finally over the winter three or 4 years ago I bought a used set of Ping i series with the stock graphite shafts to see if it would help with the pain. I can say since I bought those clubs I've been pain free. 

I've had stock shafts, recoil 95 and steelfiber 95 shafts and for me they all worked well  and I was pain free using any of them. 

• Like 2

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

I'll second the motions raised earlier as to the MMTs, and also for getting fit. 

As a note, the MMTs are  no-cost difference in the PXG 0211 set, for which I was fitted.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

Going back to graphite after half season of ping g710s with awt 2.0 stiff.

great clubs. Left elbow not happy

previouslty played all the aerotechs. Matrix 130 and GAT 95/105/115

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

I’ve played steelfiber 110’s and now recoil 95’s.  They save my wrist, elbow and back.  The recoils are “smoother” but the steelfibers were maybe a little more stable.  I liked both.  Keep you eyes on the BST and sometimes you can find a deal.  I posted a WTB and found the recoils at a really good price.

5 minutes ago, jomatty said:

I’ve played steelfiber 110’s and now recoil 95’s.  They save my wrist, elbow and back.  The recoils are “smoother” but the steelfibers were maybe a little more stable.  I liked both.  Keep you eyes on the BST and sometimes you can find a deal.  I posted a WTB and found the recoils at a really good price.

Made recoil mistake without trying recoil 680 F4. Too light. Worst shaft I’ve ever hit. Pound plus of lead tape didn’t help. I blame hogan. Bad match in forged ftx 

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

4 hours ago, Reesestix85 said:

Have any of you made the switch to graphite? What pitfalls do I look to avoid?  Cost is a huge issue, so maybe building a set? I'm just looking for a way, any way, I can continue to golf...

You have sustained significant injuries which limit your mobility.

If possible, contact a hospital with an orthopedic-sports medicine section. The doctors and physical therapists can do a motion analysis and see what moves you can make without further injuring yourself.

A related pathway uses the Titleist Performance Institute. A TPI team would consist of a medical professional and a golf pro. The med sider would give you movement assessment, and a panel of exercise routines to help you strengthen or stabilize body parts. Next, the golf pro helps you adjust your swing for any movement restrictions you have.

Good luck!

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

15 minutes ago, pingfool said:

Made recoil mistake without trying recoil 680 F4. Too light. Worst shaft I’ve ever hit. Pound plus of lead tape didn’t help. I blame hogan. Bad match in forged ftx 

That’s one reason I went with the steelfiber 110’s first.  I was worried about a large weight change.  After I was comforatable with that I tried some recoil 95’s which I really like, but would have been a big weight change if I went to them straight from 130g steel.  I can’t see going any lighter than the 95’s though.

1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

You have sustained significant injuries which limit your mobility.

If possible, contact a hospital with an orthopedic-sports medicine section. The doctors and physical therapists can do a motion analysis and see what moves you can make without further injuring yourself.

A related pathway uses the Titleist Performance Institute. A TPI team would consist of a medical professional and a golf pro. The med sider would give you movement assessment, and a panel of exercise routines to help you strengthen or stabilize body parts. Next, the golf pro helps you adjust your swing for any movement restrictions you have.

Good luck!

I dont have an injury that limits mobility. I have a medical condition which causes unlimited mobility. I have been being treated by various sports medicine, geneticists,  and countless others for the past 15 years. At the end of a round of golf I will have dislocated or sublexed my joints multiple times. 

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Reesestix85 said:

At the end of a round of golf I will have dislocated or sublexed my joints multiple times. 

R, sorry for my misread. Again, good luck finding a solution.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Having tried a lot of graphite options, I think coming directly from steel to graphite, Steelfibers or MMT will be the easiest to transition into. To me the MMT felt closer to True Temper stuff, and Steelfibers felt closer to KBS Tours.

Recoils are prob best at shock absorption in my opinion, but definitely bit less stable compared to others, especially in lower weight options (95 and below).

While its not as effective as full graphite options, Ive had success with prosoft inserts (or just closed cell foam used for window caulk application), although installation can be bit frustrating at first. For less than $10 and cost of new grips (unless you can blow yours off), it could be something you can use to get by until you can find the solution you are looking for.

6 hours ago, Gohigh said:

Having tried a lot of graphite options, I think coming directly from steel to graphite, Steelfibers or MMT will be the easiest to transition into. To me the MMT felt closer to True Temper stuff, and Steelfibers felt closer to KBS Tours.

Would you mind giving me your thoughts? 

Just what I've gathered, the MMT is based on the X100 profile. On the long review thread, it seems a lot of players that were in Project X and Modus found success with it. I don't get along with either of those. Maybe a Modus3 130 would work for me. C Tapers are a no go. S300 requires a lot of effort and X100 is closer to what works. KBS Tour X are just more consistent for me. I've played them for 10 years. It has a unique profile and is quite stiff compared to other options. I need to get out of steel if I want to keep playing. Ya know, that whole elbows and shoulders not hurting thing. 

As for the Steelfibers, are you referring to the 'i series'? It seems like the i110cw profile is rather close to an X100 and I'm thinking if I can find the 125 that may be closer to what the KBS Tour X is like. I haven't been able to find much about the 125 though. It seems as though the only thing that is close to the KBS Tour is the KBS TGI. 

I am considering switching to graphite, too. Right now, I am debating between three options:

1) Have Ping install cushin inserts in my Modus 120S shafts. 
2) Install ProSoft inserts

3) Switch to graphite 

I am also looking at a grip change. Considering the Golf Pride CP2 Pros and VDRs among others. 

I bought a set of AP2s on the bay with SF i95 stiff to try out, but I am a little concerned about dropping 20 grams of weight in one shot. I need winter to end to try them out. 

I think the best option will be to try a bunch of graphite shafts, but I don’t know how many options fitters will have on hand. 

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

12 hours ago, AllShowNoDough said:

Just what I've gathered, the MMT is based on the X100 profile. On the long review thread, it seems a lot of players that were in Project X and Modus found success with it. I don't get along with either of those. Maybe a Modus3 130 would work for me. C Tapers are a no go. S300 requires a lot of effort and X100 is closer to what works. KBS Tour X are just more consistent for me. I've played them for 10 years. It has a unique profile and is quite stiff compared to other options. I need to get out of steel if I want to keep playing. Ya know, that whole elbows and shoulders not hurting thing. 

As for the Steelfibers, are you referring to the 'i series'? It seems like the i110cw profile is rather close to an X100 and I'm thinking if I can find the 125 that may be closer to what the KBS Tour X is like. I haven't been able to find much about the 125 though. It seems as though the only thing that is close to the KBS Tour is the KBS TGI. 

MMT seems to be the hot choice right now, with prices to reflect it. I remember when Recoils first came out and it was pretty high dollar too. I definitely agree with PX and DG profile match, but I dunno about X100 as that seems to be a different animal altogether. Weight wise, I think the MMT tops out at 125g range, which would be at least 10g lighter than either PX, DGS300, or DGX100.

Steelfibers I was referring to are the i110cw, and I feel like it closely resembled KBS Tour profile. I dunno if I really felt any similarity with X100 in my experience. To me, the DG series always had a progressive stiffness feel from butt to tip, and I think Steelfibers felt bit more stiff towards butt and tip, with bit more flex in the middle. I think maybe due to high balance point on both KBS Tour and Steelfibers might draw some similarities too. Steelfibers in all weights tend to be balanced higher than most, so you will want to stick with i110 or above for SW consistency.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gohigh said:

MMT seems to be the hot choice right now, with prices to reflect it. I remember when Recoils first came out and it was pretty high dollar too. I definitely agree with PX and DG profile match, but I dunno about X100 as that seems to be a different animal altogether. Weight wise, I think the MMT tops out at 125g range, which would be at least 10g lighter than either PX, DGS300, or DGX100.

Steelfibers I was referring to are the i110cw, and I feel like it closely resembled KBS Tour profile. I dunno if I really felt any similarity with X100 in my experience. To me, the DG series always had a progressive stiffness feel from butt to tip, and I think Steelfibers felt bit more stiff towards butt and tip, with bit more flex in the middle. I think maybe due to high balance point on both KBS Tour and Steelfibers might draw some similarities too. Steelfibers in all weights tend to be balanced higher than most, so you will want to stick with i110 or above for SW consistency.

I appreciate the response. I play over length irons as well and have seen a few people say that the Steelfiber tends to work well in those situations. From a numbers perspective, the profile of the i110 and KBS Tour X seem pretty close. The SF has a stiffer tip though. The part that seems to limit me is that I find a lot that have a softer butt section and much softer mid section than my swing gets along with. At this point, "go get fit" is obviously the play. The responses seem to be all over the board. I'm also kind of surprised at the overall lack of information/media available for graphite iron shafts. You can find more than enough for woods but "graphite iron shaft" is like a dirty word. Just look at Faldo word vomiting about Bryson's wedges last summer. I'd love to see Rickie turn it around with the MMT's in play to bring some more credibility to the market.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AllShowNoDough said:

I would say the i125 is a beefier tipped version of DG.  Here are some Wishon shaft profiles, comparing various Steelfibers with DG and KBS Tour:

image.png.e2bbced8bcdb2c8ae36cdafe7d0b6781.png

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

So I’m thinking going 1/2” longer with graphite to keep the swing weight up. Figure I should go a degree flatter than my normal to compensate. Having longer irons is appealing to me as I have a bad back, and not having to bend over as much would help. 

• Like 3

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I've played DG-X100 since it's inception in 1980. It has always been a perfect shaft for my game. I started to think about a change to graphite a few years ago and tried everything available thru several venues. When I read the MMT 125TX was based off the X100 I took a chance, ordered a shaft, built an iron, and tried it side by side to test (for. myself) if it really felt and performed like an X100. Almost a year ago I built a set and could not be happier with the results. Distance and spin are basically the same and the dispersion is better. Best golf decision I've made in golf in a decade.

With a little patience you should be able to find the right graphite shaft for you as there's a lot of good stuff out there these days. It may seem like a hassle at the time but will be worth it in the end. Good Luck

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

8 hours ago, Gohigh said:

Definitely true about the balance points of steelfibers.  When I swing weighted my i500’s with steelfiber they were like c9.  After adding lead tape it worked out well, but it is a consideration