Converting to graphite

7 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

So I’m thinking going 1/2” longer with graphite to keep the swing weight up. Figure I should go a degree flatter than my normal to compensate. Having longer irons is appealing to me as I have a bad back, and not having to bend over as much would help. 

If you really need the longer length that's fine.  But it's a horrible idea to use longer lengths as a way to manage swing weight or to change length when switching to graphite.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I made the switch to graphite due to injuries myself.  For reference i'm a +1hcp and my driver SS on course is around 116-118mph.  The reason I gave my stats is to reassure you that no matter what swi

I am 62 now & last year switched to graphite shafts in the irons mostly due to my hands, osteoarthritis.  Wish I would have done this a couple of years ago.  I kind of had a narrow window for pick

So I’m thinking going 1/2” longer with graphite to keep the swing weight up. Figure I should go a degree flatter than my normal to compensate. Having longer irons is appealing to me as I have a bad ba

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

If you really need the longer length that's fine.  But it's a horrible idea to use longer lengths as a way to manage swing weight or to change length when switching to graphite.

I am a little taller than average, with shorter arms, If you use a Ping fitting chart or whatever other method I usually am standard length or on the cusp of slightly longer.  Longer lengths have never bothered me in terms of contact, as long as the lie angle is correct.  I am generally 2 up at standard length.  So I was thinking 1 up 1/2" long might be close.  Would need to demo a club first to confirm.  The whole "getting fit" mantra in a hitting bay doesn't do much for me. I need to hit some clubs off of turf and watch ball flight to really know whether I am comfortable with the specs.  It's why I usually buy Ping, I know my specs with them and they work.  

• Like 3

Ping G425
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G irons
Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

On 1/26/2021 at 8:00 PM, Gohigh said:

MMT seems to be the hot choice right now, with prices to reflect it. I remember when Recoils first came out and it was pretty high dollar too. I definitely agree with PX and DG profile match, but I dunno about X100 as that seems to be a different animal altogether. Weight wise, I think the MMT tops out at 125g range, which would be at least 10g lighter than either PX, DGS300, or DGX100.

MMT 125 is 125g and DGX100 is 130g.  So it's a 5g difference not 10.  MMT's will also swing weight heavier than DGX100.  As for price I suspect in time it will come down as all things do, especially as more OEM's use them as stock options.  For example, Callaway has the 105S and 105TX as a stock shaft option for Xforged irons.  

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

I am 62 now & last year switched to graphite shafts in the irons mostly due to my hands, osteoarthritis.  Wish I would have done this a couple of years ago.  I kind of had a narrow window for picking what type of graphite shaft to use.  Have been a Project X player for many years.  Finally did visit a fitter in 2019 and what I was using was exactly what was recommended.  Since I already knew the shaft type, I just kept watch for picking up a pulled set of shafts since I do my own work.  Got a set of PX LZ graphite at a great price on BST.  The shafts were 90 grams.  Had a slight learning curve when I started using them.  Do not know if I actually changed my tempo or not, but found better accuracy with the graphite.  My distances & gaps remained the same.  My height is 5' 11" & come out right at standard length.  I did not change my club length when I switched.  Only change was the use of tip weights.

If you are not sure of changing, maybe just have a graphite shaft placed in one iron to see what you think of it.  If your current steel shafts are a good fit for you, there will likely be half a million posts on WRX for a good graphite shaft comparison.  I first started wondering about switching to graphite at least 4-5 seasons ago.  Like I said, wish I would have made the change earlier.

• Like 4
On 1/27/2021 at 2:16 AM, Stuart_G said:

My Tensei AV White AM2 shafted irons are standard 620 series length and D2, SW & LW are longer and heavier SW. 

Other than simple bias, WHY do you say that? 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei AV White "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

Currently playing MMT's in my P770/P7MC irons and like them so much, I am replacing Recoils in my back-up Ping i210's.  MMT's feel to me to be the closest graphite shaft that plays like steel...

• Like 3

Ping G425 SFT Driver Alta CB 55

Mizuno ST-Z 3 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Mizuno ST-Z 5 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 23* MMT

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 26* MMT

Ping i210 6 - W SteelFiber i95

Callaway MD5 50/54/58 KBS C-Taper

Scotty Cameron Golo

36 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

My Tensei AV White AM2 shafted irons are standard 620 series length and D2, SW & LW are longer and heavier SW. 

Other than simple bias, WHY do you say that? 

Length is generally considered a much higher priority fitting spec and determining best playing length should come before the other specs (except maybe grip size - but that's arguable).   While it's certainly not universal, for am's going longer tends to be much more widely detrimental to the quality of the results - especially as the added length will typically extend into the longer clubs.  And considering how easy it is to increase swing weight with tip weights or other means - it becomes almost a no-brainer.   All risk, no reward.

Now if ti's just in the context of wedges - where length problems only show up when you go too short - it's not nearly as much of a big deal as it is if you take that approach with the whole iron set or in any of the longer clubs (hybrids, fairways, drivers).

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For those of you that have switched to graphite for elbow/joint reasons, did you also switch to a softer grip?  

I bought a set of used AP2s with SteelFiber i95S to test and the grips are shot.  I am debating putting on my usual MCC or going to CP2 wrap.  Does graphite absorb enough vibration to make grip choice inconsequential?

Edited by NorthStar7

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

4 hours ago, NorthStar7 said:

For those of you that have switched to graphite for elbow/joint reasons, did you also switch to a softer grip?  

Does graphite absorb enough vibration to make grip choice inconsequential?

I went from X100 and CP2 's to MMT-125TX and back to No1 50 Pro's.

Titleist JDM TSi3  9*                     Fujikura Ventus Red 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5
MIURA CB57 4-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

On 1/25/2021 at 2:38 PM, J13 said:

I made the switch to graphite due to injuries myself.  For reference i'm a +1hcp and my driver SS on course is around 116-118mph.  The reason I gave my stats is to reassure you that no matter what swing or speed you have there are graphite shaft options to fit your needs.  I play the MItsu MMT's and love them.  I'm also enjoying the reduction in stress on my joints.  

When switching to graphite don't throw the baby out with the bath water meaning most players make the mistake of playing a 110g+ steel shaft then try to play graphite shafts that are like 80g's.  Do the best you can at making a lateral shift and stay within the same weight range.  UST Recoil's are a good option and can be found for pretty good deals.

You must be my brother from another mother!  LOL.  My handicap is not quite as impressive as yours but I make the same ss as well and hey, we both play the MMT 125!  I switched to the MMT after J13 recommended them to me via PM.  I'm coming from recoil protos and before that c-tapers.  The transition was seamless although the ball did launch lower, spin less and it was def welcome.  The old graphite shafts couldn't really hold up very well for high ss players like us, but the modern ones these days are different.  I'm guessing it's because some of them are reinforced with metal mesh so technically they are hybrids.  The MMT is so stable and never feels loose or too soft/whippy.  I only know the the bare bones of the science behind it, but it sure works for my swing. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

4 hours ago, NorthStar7 said:

I bought a set of used AP2s with SteelFiber i95S to test and the grips are shot.  I am debating putting on my usual MCC or going to CP2 wrap.  Does graphite absorb enough vibration to make grip choice inconsequential?

Elbow wasn't the primary reason why I switched to SteelFiber i95, but it was one of the reasons.  I did NOT switch to a softer grip, as I've been using Golf Pride New Decades since they were introduced, I think ~2004.  However, I did try a friend's club, same head, same shaft, but with a Tour Velvet grip, and it seemed to dampen vibration better than my New Decades.  Never tried the CP2, so I can't give you an exact comparison.

Ping G400 Max Driver | 9.75° Ventus Blue
Callaway Epic Speed | 15° | Diamana ZF

Callaway Epic Speed | 18° Accra Fx 2.0 200F
Ping G410 3H | 19° Graphite Design IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Srixon ZX4/ZX5 | 5I-6I / 7I-PW LAGP Tour AXS BLUE 105
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° & 54° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway PM Grind 19 | 58° KBS HiRev2.0

Spider X Chalk | Stability Tour

9 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I'm guessing it's because some of them are reinforced with metal mesh so technically they are hybrids. 

It's actually not the steel strands.  The thin strands of steel wire aren't for strength, but more for weight.  Graphite is actually stronger than steel, in the application of golf shafts.

You could make some pretty strong steel shafts, but the weight could be an issue.  😉

The reason modern graphite iron shafts are stronger than those of yore is purely the efforts to engineer them to be so.  Companies have learned graphite isn't just for folks looking for weight savings.

Disclaimer:  the above comments are my paraphrasing of comments from @Stuart_G.  Hoping I haven't butchered it too badly.  LOL

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.5" 

3w: Cobra King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

On 2/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, NorthStar7 said:

I used the CP2 wrap for 3-4 years on my graphite irons but just switched back to TV grips. The CP2 are very nice but they seemed a little too soft especially on the driver compared to the TV grips for me. The graphite will absorb a lot of the vibration...buy one CP2 and try it out.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S 
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15*(17*)Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (20*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 23*(24*)Tensei Red R 
  • Irons - Callaway Rogue Pro 5-PW UST Recoil ES 460 F3
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 34.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x 
  • Grips -  Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R 
On 1/28/2021 at 11:35 AM, chasdr said:

Currently playing MMT's in my P770/P7MC irons and like them so much, I am replacing Recoils in my back-up Ping i210's.  MMT's feel to me to be the closest graphite shaft that plays like steel...

That's what I've been saying all along to my golf buddies.  I got a good friend of mine that used to play on the UCR golf team and his handicap was +4 at one time and currently +2.  He was fitted for the c-tapers in his irons.  He asked me what I thought about the MMT.  I let him hit some balls out on the course last Saturday.  He loves them.  While they launch a little lower than the c-tapers they are low spin IMO but Mitsubishi has them as mid spin.  He said it's the closest thing to steel. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

The only drawbacks with today's graphite iron shafts is the expense and the lack of different profiles.  If you had a graphite iron shaft vs. a steel shaft that was the same weight and same profile, it's likely going to perform very similarly but will be easier on the hands/wrists/elbows/shoulders.  But given the expense compared to steel, most people just go to steel shafts anyway and that's where shaft manufacturers can make numerous different profiles of steel shafts and you are more likely able to find a steel shaft that suits your speed, launch and spin conditions.

The biggest difficulties I find with graphite iron shafts is that they usually come in too light for me (I usually play best with 125 gram shafts) and they tend to launch a little high for me as well.  Although I think with the latter you could theoretically just bend your lofts stronger to get what you want.

RH

2 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

The only drawbacks with today's graphite iron shafts is the expense and the lack of different profiles.  If you had a graphite iron shaft vs. a steel shaft that was the same weight and same profile, it's likely going to perform very similarly but will be easier on the hands/wrists/elbows/shoulders.  But given the expense compared to steel, most people just go to steel shafts anyway and that's where shaft manufacturers can make numerous different profiles of steel shafts and you are more likely able to find a steel shaft that suits your speed, launch and spin conditions.

The biggest difficulties I find with graphite iron shafts is that they usually come in too light for me (I usually play best with 125 gram shafts) and they tend to launch a little high for me as well.  Although I think with the latter you could theoretically just bend your lofts stronger to get what you want.

RH

Right now there aren't a ton of options but it's improving.  Good news for people is the cost will come down and graphite allows companies to create much better profiles for players vs steel.  Steel is extremely limited in what you can do comparatively.   I have always played 125-130g shafts and the MMT 125TX have been a seamless transition with better performance over my modus 120TX.  As more and more PGA Tour players move to graphite (this year alone it's really picking up steam) you will see steel slowly fade away and graphite become the norm.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

3 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

RH

Check out the MMT 125.  They are every bit as good as any heavier steel shaft with the added benefit of great feel and less vibration.  It's absolutely worth paying the upcharge for the sake of joint health.  

• Like 2

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

On 2/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, NorthStar7 said:

I have CP2 Pro's on D, 4wd, & LW, and really like the grip.  And have TV Align on 2-SW.  At first, I switched to graphite due to some medical issues.  I've since put those issues behind me.  Only coping with osteoarthritis for the remainder of time. 

From Steelfiber i110S I switched back to PX then discovered my current graphite shafts and switched to enjoy lighter weight shafts and faster SS which = more distance.

Good graphite absorbs vibration, but a good choice in grip can block out vibrations too.  I can address whether CP2 Pros block more vibration because I use TV align on 2-SW.  I been debating on whether to install CP2 Pros on the rest of my irons. 

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei AV White "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1