2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Persimmon woods in bag with modern irons... OK to do this?

I really like carrying the persimmons, but miss my Mizuno MP 64's, and Cleveland wedges.  

Anything wrong with me carrying the persimmons, and the Mizuno's together?  

Thanks fellas, 

Hit em good

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

There is never any issue putting these in your bag.  Just make sure you are playing a ball that will spin a little as persimmon woods perform better with that.

IMG_6572.jpg

P1010218.JPG

P1010186.JPG

M43T set_1.jpg

693 set.JPG

• Like 4

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

My signature set I do the opposite with the old irons and modern metals and hybrids. Like countless other members have said do what ever adds to your enjoyment of the game. 

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

It bothers me when people give me a hard time for playing old irons at the local par 3 even if it's good natured sometimes I don't want to hear it.

So I don't think anyone should be judging anyone with what they put in their golf bag.  It's kind of silly when you think about it but I've learned the past year golfers are an odd bunch and that's not us "vintage guys" it's the more mainstream folks out there.

You need to play what you enjoy.  What inspires you to get out of bed early on a day off?

• Like 4

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

8 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

It bothers me when people give me a hard time for playing old irons at the local par 3 even if it's good natured sometimes I don't want to hear it.

So I don't think anyone should be judging anyone with what they put in their golf bag.  It's kind of silly when you think about it but I've learned the past year golfers are an odd bunch and that's not us "vintage guys" it's the more mainstream folks out there.

You need to play what you enjoy.  What inspires you to get out of bed early on a day off?

I am not conscious of being judged for playing old gear, possibly regarded as being a little eccentric with a measure of curiosity thrown in.

Most of the guys I play with are my age or older so the main emotion evoked is probably nostalgia. It is usually quite interesting to see how long they can resist asking to try "that old persimmon". The result is normally smiles all round as they rediscover that lost pleasure.

Overall, I think they respect my choices and generally understand them by the time we reach the 18th, if not sooner. 😁

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I have somewhat switched since I last posted in here due to back issues but trust me when I get 100% heathly again it will be back with the old stuff. I have always been of the thought of doing what I darn well please and playing what I want to. I also have no problem with what others want to play. I will also say with pride that I was the last guy standing on the SE Mini Tours with persimmon in hand. Never switched to metal until 02 or so. Oh yeah you have some down here that think I am touched in the head if not a total fruitcake. 

A few years back over at Indian Wells when I was a member I was practicing with my persimmon and my FC-4000 blades. The World Am was going on and our pro had roped off an area for members to hit at on the range. A guy on the bullhorn called for the players meeting. Of course I kept on hitting. One of the older guys wandered over and his friend stood a little ways off. The old guy ( Lord bless him) told me they had called the players meeting. I told him thanks I was not in the event that I was a member practicing. I heard the other guy ask what I said. He told him and the other guy said " good because I did not want to **** with a man hitting woods and blades"  

Last year in March I think it was before I got hurt I had dragged out the whole set up because I was riding that day, Had the Mac Staff bag out with the 4000s ( my favorites) and a set of 57 Velocitized woods. Had seen some of the tourist golfers checking my stuff out while I was on the putting green which is norm with that set up. Played 18 that day with one of the other members. I was up on the patio enjoying a Pepsi and a cigar with my bud. One of the tourist golfers asked what I shot? Really I do not keep up with it per say playing vintage. The guy I had played with had kept score. He told the guy 76 which is +4 on that course. Shocked me because I just played and did not worry about it. Yep it shocks some that one can score reasonably well with old stuff

Love that story!  Which year 4000s do you like?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Totally Agree.  About 25 years ago I played in this after work league.  There was a guy who played these beautiful Macgregor irons from the 1950's they looked brand new.  He had special covers for them cleaned them after after shot I mean they were perfect.  He also had Macgregor Persimmons, same deal, perfect.  He wore cut off jean shorts, white t-shirt and the old school kilt full leather shoes, perfectly shined.  Never saw him shoot a number over par.  In fact he carded several 32's, we only played 9 holes.  Made him pretty happy and no one ever said a word about his gear or attire.  He was so good!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Love that story!  Which year 4000s do you like?

1962-- I have 2 sets. One set my old man got in 62 when he was on Mac staff--- He never got rid of them and I played them some growing up. A few years back one of our gracious members named Stickfish acquired a pristine set woods and all. He sent them to me free of charge said he wanted them in a home where they would be played. Trust me they get played. I do mix up the woods some. I usually play a 57 Velocitized driver that is a cannon it has been redone and does not have the original insert but has a hard plastic one. I also play the FC 4 wood from the "Fish" set. I may throw in the 5 wood from yet another set or a Hogan 5 wood I am fond of. Since the set has a 2 iron I hit a running waist high cut with it that runs like a scalded cat. Sometimes I throw a old Clover leaf sole plate 54 Mac 2 wood that I am also fond of. 3 woods for some reason even back in the day I never got along with

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jmcorr4 said:

Totally Agree.  About 25 years ago I played in this after work league.  There was a guy who played these beautiful Macgregor irons from the 1950's they looked brand new.  He had special covers for them cleaned them after after shot I mean they were perfect.  He also had Macgregor Persimmons, same deal, perfect.  He wore cut off jean shorts, white t-shirt and the old school kilt full leather shoes, perfectly shined.  Never saw him shoot a number over par.  In fact he carded several 32's, we only played 9 holes.  Made him pretty happy and no one ever said a word about his gear or attire.  He was so good!

Yep never bet money against a man that plays that type of stuff especially if he is older. He knows his game and his equipment. I know a guy in the Charlotte area have known him since I was a kid. He has always played FC-4000s even to this day. Back in the day all the folks in my area referred to FC's as "Black faced Macgregors" -----  About 6 years ago I was up there and saw a set leaning against the clubhouse in an old canvas bag. FC's and all but with a modern metal driver. Told the guy I was with I bet $100 I knew who those belonged to. Set my stuff beside him and went to the restroom. Came back out and there he was. I told him I knew and he laughed and said well he knew who had the lead taped VIPs too! Now he is around 80 now and is still one heck of a ball striker and player. I think he shot 77 or so. Said he hated to do so but had to go to the metal woods because he gave up so much distance. He was not really a big money gambler but a weekend warrior but those big money players were scared of him

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I get occasional comments about the age of my clubs, but not many.  What I've found interesting are the occasional comments about the type of irons I play.  One guy saw my Golden Rams in bag and commented on how I "wasn't doing myself any favors" with my irons.  LOL

He didn't seem to buy it when I told him it makes no difference in my score.  Actually it does, just in the opposite direction most folks assume, and I didn't think he wanted to have a dialog about it.   LOL

I can not count how many times I have heard " If you had some new stuff you could really play". 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

I get occasional comments about the age of my clubs, but not many.  What I've found interesting are the occasional comments about the type of irons I play.  One guy saw my Golden Rams in bag and commented on how I "wasn't doing myself any favors" with my irons.  LOL

He didn't seem to buy it when I told him it makes no difference in my score.  Actually it does, just in the opposite direction most folks assume, and I didn't think he wanted to have a dialog about it.   LOL

Ah, yes, the old "if only you were playing modern clubs..."

Funny thing is, I've never had anyone who beat me tell me that.

Interestingly, I have played with a guy who was sort of a pro (couldn't afford the money to finish qualifying for the JPGA tour), and when he looked at my irons he just said, "Hmm, you're using some difficult ones there." This was when I had my Mizuno MP4s in the bag. But to me, that's a good way of putting it.

Off topic, but he's a nice bloke to play a round of golf with. Great ball striker, but a terrible short putter. Not sure about his course management, either. Even with the modern ball and driver, he has the old persimmon and balata ball flight: start low and rise up. It's a thing of beauty.

• Like 3

I haven't had many people comment on my equipment whether I'm playing new or old.  I have noticed one thing though:  the more money a person spends on their equipment the more likely they are to comment negatively on my older equipment.  The $3000 bag guys can be downright snarky about it.  I think it peeves them off when all that money doesn't buy them a game.  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Ah, yes, the old "if only you were playing modern clubs..."

Funny thing is, I've never had anyone who beat me tell me that.

Interestingly, I have played with a guy who was sort of a pro (couldn't afford the money to finish qualifying for the JPGA tour), and when he looked at my irons he just said, "Hmm, you're using some difficult ones there." This was when I had my Mizuno MP4s in the bag. But to me, that's a good way of putting it.

Off topic, but he's a nice bloke to play a round of golf with. Great ball striker, but a terrible short putter. Not sure about his course management, either. Even with the modern ball and driver, he has the old persimmon and balata ball flight: start low and rise up. It's a thing of beauty.

This is the reason I continue to fool around with trying to play persimmon.  The trajectory (and feels).  Every once in awhile, it appears.  With the occasional perfect ball strike.  The starting low then rising ball flight.  I'm unable to replicate it with metal.  Indeed, "a thing of beauty".  Keeps me trying to repeat the experience one more time.  

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

11 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

The starting low then rising ball flight.

That's not necessarily a good thing to chase.  It's a sign of a bit too much spin.  🙂

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It's your free time, enjoy it any way you'd like. I went so far as playing in a tournament last year with vintage stuff and no one bothered me much. I made sure it was so within the rules of the tourney ahead of time.

• Like 3

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

3 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

That's not necessarily a good thing to chase.  It's a sign of a bit too much spin.  🙂

I still vividly recall standing behind Andy Bean at the '79 PGA Championship (Oakland Hills) watching him tee off.  The ball started low, and rose majestical, clear out of sight.  Thought it was the coolest thing. 

Don't deflate my carefully crafted idealism with spin rates.  😁

• Haha 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1 hour ago, Swingingk said:

I haven't had many people comment on my equipment whether I'm playing new or old.  I have noticed one thing though:  the more money a person spends on their equipment the more likely they are to comment negatively on my older equipment.  The $3000 bag guys can be downright snarky about it.  I think it peeves them off when all that money doesn't buy them a game.  😂

And trust me those snarky types will not play you for one thin dime, Deep down in the recesses of their brain they know that a person rocking that kind of equipment has some game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Only once have I run into snarky guy.  Started running his mouth in a condescending way about the antiquity of my gear on the day.  Didn't even know the clown.  Gave him a death stare, told him it was none of his GD business, and to F off.  His unsolicited attitude pi**ed me off in a nano-second.    

That's was the only incident.  Most are inquisitive.  Have struck up a conversation with others, especially when they see wood.  Often the comment is along the lines of,  "I remember playing those".  They're surprised to see someone actually trying to play wood these days.  All I tell them is it's kinda fun, I'm not all that good with them, but enjoy taking them out for a spin on occasion.  

LOL love it the death stare--- Yeah when I do it most folks tend to back off me and leave me alone. I think the last time I did it at the golf course some guys that knew me were giving me hell about my Pink shoe laces in my white FJs--- I looked at them with the icy death stare and told them " I lost a son to cancer so FO. They backed down quick. I guess word got around locally because I never heard anything about it again even when I rock my pink visor

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

LOL love it the death stare--- Yeah when I do it most folks tend to back off me and leave me alone. I think the last time I did it at the golf course some guys that knew me were giving me hell about my Pink shoe laces in my white FJs--- I looked at them with the icy death stare and told them " I lost a son to cancer so FO. They backed down quick. I guess word got around locally because I never heard anything about it again even when I rock my pink visor

Oh man that's even worse than the gear comments.  Sorry you had to deal with that.  I've lost loved ones to cancer too.  Pink on the play field of any kind would sorta put my mind in that direction but maybe it's because I've been there too.  

• Like 2