2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

I can’t gain distance

eagles88

I have been playing for about five years. Just a weekend warrior and sometimes during the week. I have been fitted for clubs and love my clubs. I hit the ball very straight. Problem is I can’t hit it far at all. I swing at a senior speed and I’m in my thirties. I hit my driver about 190. I have been to numerous instructors in my area. Have sent different coaches swing videos all over the country and have had them analyze. Problem is I just can’t seem to get it down. Sometimes I just want to sell my clubs. But I won’t because I love the game so much. Any pointers anyone? 

Just now, tthomasgolfer605 said:

I'd say since you paid a lot of money for lessons and club fittings and they didn't help, you just need to accept the fact that some are born with raw clubhead speed and some aren't. Are you playing the proper tees for your distance? 

I think you may be right. Unfortunate but it may be time accept it. I used to think it was because I’m overweight but I see a lot of overweight players smash the ball. Yes I’m playing the proper tees. I play at about a 23 handicap. 

37 minutes ago, eagles88 said:

I have been playing for about five years. Just a weekend warrior and sometimes during the week. I have been fitted for clubs and love my clubs. I hit the ball very straight. Problem is I can’t hit it far at all. I swing at a senior speed and I’m in my thirties. I hit my driver about 190. I have been to numerous instructors in my area. Have sent different coaches swing videos all over the country and have had them analyze. Problem is I just can’t seem to get it down. Sometimes I just want to sell my clubs. But I won’t because I love the game so much. Any pointers anyone? 

Tho it's true that some people are more athletic and built for speed, everyone can train to expand his/her limit, to become faster and stronger, given that he/she has no disabilities that might hinder the efforts.  

I'd suggest u give Superspeed a try. I've been working on the system for the past 3 months and seen significant gains in distance across the board. Combining with an appropriate work out routine and u'll see a difference in no time. 

It is possible, mate.  

Good luck.

If you don't have any physical limitations (like real limitations, not just being overweight), you have an issue with your technique if you're only driving it 190. I wouldn't accept that is the best that you can do and I also wouldn't worry about increasing your swing speed. You have to fix your swing first and the speed will follow.

You also should find an instructor who can help you and stick with him/her. Changes take time. Sounds like you're seeing a lot of instructors and expecting them to fix you.  You won't improve until you commit to a swing change and be consistent. 

Post a video

Share what the coaches said

Try super speed

Try Monte

Also - in all seriousness - you don't have to hit the ball far to be good at golf.  There are plenty of seniors who hit it 190 and break 80 regularly.

Also - and this might sound jerkish - but it's not intended to be - try swinging harder.  That's kinda the basis for Superspeed in general.  Givein yourself permission to swing harder with no ball - and training your brain to swing faster.

You'll be just fine - but it takes a lot of dedication.  Golf is really hard.

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

6 minutes ago, eagles88 said:

Thanks everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it. Here is a DTL video of my swing. It’s not great because it was done on my Rapsodo. I will get a face on video tomorrow and post it on here. 

IMG_0114.mov

My 2 cents. (disclaimer: I'm not a PGA teaching professional)

You're coming over the top and so it's likely you are making multiple compensations such as flipping wrists to make the ball go straight. If you try to 'muscle' your way to more distance with this swing, you'll likely injury your hands/wrists/etc.

My best advice is to gain more flexibility....as a start. 

I’d take straight over distance anyday!!! Many guys may be able to hit far but not many can find the fairways. You already have an advantage by staying in play. Distance is just one component of lowering your handicap, you still need course management, precision on irons/approaches and short game. You can improve on those to lower your handicap.

You said you play the correct set of tees- which is what exactly? Yardage/slope/rating?

I’d try a pro who teaches with video analysis. Sometimes the issue is so small that people cannot see it without the help of videos. I’d try that route and see if anyone can help. 
It helps to have distance but you don’t need it to be a good golfer.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MysteryV said:

Post a video

Share what the coaches said

Try super speed

Try Monte

Also - in all seriousness - you don't have to hit the ball far to be good at golf.  There are plenty of seniors who hit it 190 and break 80 regularly.

Also - and this might sound jerkish - but it's not intended to be - try swinging harder.  That's kinda the basis for Superspeed in general.  Givein yourself permission to swing harder with no ball - and training your brain to swing faster.

You'll be just fine - but it takes a lot of dedication.  Golf is really hard.

Yep, swing harder.  Maybe check out Bryson and Kyle Berkshire on YouTube, Alex Evans channel as well.  Tour Tempo won’t hurt either.  Mainly, just don’t accept limitations. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

One thing that can help struggling golfers is understanding the role of strength, mobility and power in their swing.

• Mobility is range of motion of body parts.
  • Strength is the ability to produce muscular force.
  • Power is the ability to exert maximal force in as short a time as possible...(i.e., speed)

You mentioned that you are overweight, and feel you have the swing speed of a senior golfer. Many younger golfers have trouble with swing speed if they have jobs where they sit a lot. In all seriousness, they develop very strong thighs, but often have weak hip muscles and low hip mobility. 

One thing that might help is a fitness program related to golf. Here is a link to a suggested baseline exercise package from Practical Golf. And, some workout gyms have physical trainers who specialize in golfers.

For a more formal program, consider the Titleist Performance Institute The TPI program combines the efforts of a physical trainer and a PGA golf pro to develop both your conditioning and your golf swing. And if you have any strength or mobility issue related to old injuries, the pair can help you stabilize body parts and adjust swing motion to compensate.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

6 hours ago, eagles88 said:

I think you may be right. Unfortunate but it may be time accept it. I used to think it was because I’m overweight but I see a lot of overweight players smash the ball. Yes I’m playing the proper tees. I play at about a 23 handicap. 

In all honesty, to make a better move where you can get the club coming from the inside will take some effort on your part. You're going to have to shed some weight to give your arms more room to make the changes you need to make.   It's true that some big golfers smash the ball, but they have faster twitching muscle fibers and more flexibility. Another thing I noticed is that you hit your 8 iron 125 yds. The driver should be going about 30-40 yards farther based on that speed. Were you fitted for your driver too? Try a soft ball with less compression as well. Like the Callaway soft, Titleist Tour soft etc.. 

• Like 1

Sounds like you ran 100m one weekend in 14 seconds..

did nothing all week, maybe bought a new pair of shoes, came back next weekend and ran 14 seconds again..

it takes effort, the same as anything else in life. Improve your technique, improve your fitness. Commit to it. Swing changes take months and years. You aren’t just going to get a swing tip here or anywhere else, go out and find 25 yards..

red pill mate 

9 hours ago, stryper said:

Yep, swing harder

+1

Try speeding up your backswing a bit. This may allow you to apply more force to the club in the downswing.

Also - for what it’s worth -

My advice would be to focus on working out to gain strength. If you are a newbie in the gym perhaps a trainer would be helpful or even asking for help from others in the gym - you’d be surprised how willing others are to help you out. Gaining strength will help you gain more muscle, develop more fast twitch/explosive power, and lose some weight. If this is not something you’d like to pursue then I would suggest walking 18 holes instead of riding (if you are not already doing this). You’d be surprised how much you walk on the course over 18 holes.

Anyway, I wish the OP good luck. We all want more speed and distance!

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Since most club head speed is from proper loading and unloading of the wrists and neither of those things are happening, you have speed to gain.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

@eagles88 dont get down on yourself. 

I'm 36 years old, 6'1 285. And I average about 275 yards, with the occasional 300 yarder. And since really working on my swing I've dropped my handicap down from 18+ to 5 in 20 months now. But this is the beauty of golf. No person with my body type is winning the 100 yard dash, or playing PG in the NBA, or scoring from a bicycle kick in the world cup, or lifting the Wimbledon trophy. Not going to happen. But look at guys like John Daly, Stadler, Cabrera, Tim Herron, Lowry, Beef Johnston, Claydon, Aphibarnrat, Carl Petterson that have won on tour. You can list dozens more, and even some of the best LPGA players of all time. Golf is your sport, stick with it. 

On the opposite side of the spectrum. Look at someone like Gaby Lopez. I'd be willing to bet you could beat her at arm wrestling, and bench press more than she can. Shes 5'6. 130. And thats probably in shoes with a backpack on, yet she hits it 250+. Technique, technique, technique. In your swing it looks like you get extremely steep, and really stall out before striking the ball. So, yes... We should lose some weight and improve flexibility. We should start lifting and improve core, back, leg strength. And if improving the golf game can be a motivating factor in that, then fantastic. But I am telling you, that you already have speed in you that just needs to be unlocked. It's not about being skinnier, but just being more athletic and making a better move at the ball. 

The Prince Fielder Bat Flip. That ball will now be exiting the field. - GIF  on Imgur

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I struggle with the same issue, though I am 65. I too tried everything. I have come to accept it is what it is, and if I play the appropriate tees I can still have fun...as opposed to hitting a fairway wood into just about every par 4. I have also worked very hard on my short game...you don't need to be young or athletic to develop a good short game, and a good short game is a real stroke saver. 

• Like 1

I think you move just fine but haven't been helped at all by any instruction you've had.    As noted, Your arms/wrists are the source of a lot of the issues you currently have.     Poor structure and wrists don't set early or correctly.      Setup up from dtl looks decent - you could probably benefit by having your left arm more on top of your left pec than beside it.   You certainly make a big enough turn and get some angles - getting up onto the ball of left foot certainly helps.    Early on though you get the club going too inside with no wrist set until way too late - arms work up, pivot provides the around.

a place to start 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJoJjW_jp93/

would be to see a good instructor in person but depending on where you live this might not be possible -  Monte from this site offers an online live version via facetime/zoom - can take it anywhere you have about 15 feet to set up a phone/table with camera at hand level centered on hands and room to make a swing and hit anything - he can film your swing, play it back and tell you issues, walk you thru changes, make sure you are doing them correctly, etc - the flaw id part takes maybe 5-10 minutes max and rest of time is spent on what is needed to make an improvement - and getting you to actually make the new motion multiple times in front of Monte.     https://rebelliongolf.com/remote-live-lessons/

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

How fast/far can you throw a baseball?

The way your body is moving in your golf swing makes it look like you could barely throw a baseball across the room but I'm guessing you can throw it A LOT farther than that.

The point is when you throw something you use your natural athleticism without thinking about it and if you can apply the same concept to your golf swing the speed will follow. Instead of thinking about positions or hitting the ball just think about throwing the club as far as you can down the range. Step into it like a baseball player and really give it a rip. Everything else will fall into place or can be adjusted later. Right now you just need to get some athleticism back into your swing. 

I'm with some of the folks that say this is a swing issue, not a physical limitation and certainly not something that you should just "swing harder".

A few years back I got to go to the Louisville Slugger museum, and one of their exhibits was a pitching cage where you could see your speed. I'm a big guy (6'5" 265#) and pretty athletic, and I figured I could get some good speed. Not 80+ or anything like that, but I figured with my size and strength, how could I not be throwing 65-70 mph? Nope... Topped out around 55 mph and damn near threw out my shoulder. I didn't have the mechanics and all I get from adding effort was adding risk of injury (and losing control of aim).

Yet in golf I have no problem generating clubhead speed, because my mechanics are much better swinging a club than throwing a ball. 

Fix your swing, and you'll get more power naturally. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Said long ago that the golf swing is a 'remembered feel'.  Your muscles have no memory but your mind does.  Your mind can remember how the successful swing felt, so your mind and body can build on that.  That's what happens to kids. 

But for the adults taking up golf, or those trying to improve on poor technique, the correct feeling is not in place, so what's to remember?  I suggest that the very common problem happening to the OP is the strong desire to 'hit the ball'.  When the idea of hitting the ball becomes dominant in the mind, no amount of body conditioning or practice training will help becoz there is NO correct 'remembered feel'. Only an incorrect memory and incorrect technique.

How to solve this problem? As Monte opines: free the wrists and reduce the tension  esp in the upper body.  And i can add, must start the downswing with the lower body.  If the shoulders pull the hips around, i do not think anything good will happen.

My 2 cents.  

21 hours ago, tthomasgolfer605 said:

I'd say since you paid a lot of money for lessons and club fittings and they didn't help, you just need to accept the fact that some are born with raw clubhead speed and some aren't. Are you playing the proper tees for your distance? 

This is a load of crap IMHO. Asking to swing 115+..sure not possible for everyone. But there is no reason someone in their 30s shouldn't be able to swing ~100mph unless they have a legit disability. It doesn't take take anything abnormal in terms of strength, flexibility, or athleticism, just decent mechanics. Most people who are that low in speed have some major mechanical flaws (perhaps driven by improper intents)

• Like 2

Can't see any physical impediments to swinging 100+. Plenty of burly scratches / pluses on here that have won club champs etc. and swing plenty fast.

Swinging harder / Superspeed etc. is just pouring oil on the fire IMHO. See (or get online lessons from) a good teacher or listen properly (there are bad students too who don't listen and add their own pieces, not saying that is the case).

I would be shocked if the OP didn't gain at least 6-10 mph without trying to hit it any harder within one in person lesson from a teacher like @MonteScheinblum or @iteachgolf

Edited by GolfTurkey

The me everyone for your advice. I really appreciate the great answers I received. I wish I could reply to everyone. It’s refreshing to know about my technique. I think getting in better shape and working on my technique and mechanics will help. I think I wouldn’t stick with an instructor long enough and just jump around without giving one a fair shake. Anyway I will work on getting better. Bought a net for my backyard and going to get some new lessons and not stop until I get my technique down. 

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts on your backswing.

If you look at your video clip frame-by-frame, you will notice that your upper body lifts up - along with your head.

Your head should not move, period.

On the downswing, you are trying to generate club head speed by uncoiling your upper body,  instantaneously releasing all your energy too early. This flaw in your swing sequence is why you are coming over the top. 

Search YouTube for lessons on the 'magic move' (iirc), which will show you how to initiate your downswing.

Hope these comments are helpful.

🍻