Sling Shot training aid - Farmers 2021

I see a regular and a pro version.  Does anyone know the difference?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

3 minutes ago, getair23 said:

I see a regular and a pro version.  Does anyone know the difference?

Link? I can't find any info on this product

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway PM Grind 64*

Pro V1

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to post a review in the actual reviews forum so I'm posting my SlingShot review here! 

I’ve just recently had the pleasure of receiving all 3 models of the SlingShot trainer from the founder of the product, Tony. First off, what a guy. He loves the game and he’s had this swing trainer in the works for a couple of years. He told me it has gone through many iterations and rounds of feedback from coaches and he only released it now because it’s ready and working perfectly.

Let’s start with the philosophy of this training aid and photos to get everyone on the same page. There are three models out right now:

1.      All Star Model: 40” flexible shaft. Meant for juniors and/or slower swingers.

2.      Pro Model: 45” flexible shaft. Meant for adults with slower tempos.

3.      Tour Model: 45” carbon fiber stiff shaft. Meant for faster tempos and swing speeds 105mph+.

All three work the same way. They have weights at the head of the club and a ball in the shaft. There are two weights in the head to allow you to do light, medium, and heavy speed training. The ball in the shaft locks via a magnet to about the end of the grip of the club. This will stay in place with a good tempo on the backswing and then will snap into the bottom at the impact spot if you don’t cast or release too early. It’s a combination of speed training and timing, which is genius if you ask me.

IMG_3578.jpg.f9b77c6a9198baaf88c6f43efd29028d.jpgIMG_3579.jpg.cf97a67970bc727932d58126a07c6c1e.jpgIMG_3580.jpg.6e7734c7a21ee193fe15327bcf4a9b97.jpgIMG_3581.jpg.cdd5afc8efeabd224fa5bb8a5d0ebf25.jpgIMG_3582.jpg.076937c95a76b63c3abce0e801363e3d.jpgIMG_3583.jpg.6799e2ec1b869bb3bda9b017d9254eeb.jpg

My experience:

I’ve been using these for a little over a week now and I’m in love with this product. My driver swing speed is around 110mph so I use the Tour Model most often. The shaft feels a lot like swinging your driver, which I like. Slight flex but nothing that’s totally different. After using this, my initial reaction of what this does is something I’d call “responsible speed training”. You could have SuperSpeed sticks and be swinging as hard as you can to then find out later that your timing is way off. This solves that, it forces you to swing with the right sequence while also gaining speed. Additionally, the two weights at the end are easy to swap out and it means you don’t have to carry around multiple sticks, just one.

One surprise I found is that I actually really like the All-Star Model (Instagram of me swinging that model). I keep that in my gym that has shorter ceilings and less space. It has a nice whip to it and lets me focus a bit more on tempo with an iron swing.

I’ll rate this product in three areas from 1-5 after my first week of using it:

1.      Usability: 5/5 – I took this out of the box and it was ready to go. You get the idea right away.

2.      Repeatability (will I use it for a long time): 4/5 – you can focus on more than just speed and this will stay in my bag for training but also warm up sessions for a long time. My one knock on this is that the company needs to create a training regimen around it to keep people using it. There should be guidance on the best way to use the various weights, drills, and exercises to do. This is a brand-new company so I think they’ll get there soon.

3.      Look and feel: 4/5 – It’s a 5/5 for the Tour Model in the black carbon. That’s really slick and looks expensive. The other two models have clear shafts that don’t quite convey the same quality, but they aren’t as expensive as the Tour Model.

In summary, I’m incredibly impressed by this training aid. I’m not all that into training products and things like the Orange Whip and the Tour Striker ball have been short lived for me, but this is staying with me for a long time.

The next step:

Results are what’s important. Unfortunately, I only have a Voice Caddie SC200 without the swing speed mode. What I can do is track speed increases on actual shots and I plan to do that. My garage is small but I can fit a Rukket net in there to hit balls with less than driver. I’ve started by generating an initial set of results for my strong 4 iron (21* Hogan Ft Worth 15) and that’s below. In a few weeks I plan to follow-up with another set of results to see if there have been gains. But I will say that these numbers are up a bit for me and these were taken after a few days of using SlingShot!

Baseline Speed from 2.8.21 - 4 iron (21*)

Shot #

Swing Speed

Ball Speed

Total Distance

Average

• Like 4

Excellent review.  They have my attention.

• Like 1

Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway PM Grind 64*

Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

This product came through my Instagram feed as I was about to pull the trigger on the Superspeed training sticks. 

I like the fact that it is one unit. Though I worry about losing the additional pieces. Not a big concern but...

I was looking at the shorter model, due to space. Looking at the pictures, the carbon model seems the way to go.

does the whippiness help with tempo like the orange whip?

35 minutes ago, checkswing said:

This product came through my Instagram feed as I was about to pull the trigger on the Superspeed training sticks. 

I like the fact that it is one unit. Though I worry about losing the additional pieces. Not a big concern but...

I was looking at the shorter model, due to space. Looking at the pictures, the carbon model seems the way to go.

does the whippiness help with tempo like the orange whip?

Trust me, you won’t lose the other pieces. No reason to keep them out after using the different weights. 

The shorter model works if you really need to save space and it does have some more flex. None of these are anything close to the whippiness of the orange whip, it’s not trying to be. The ball bearing that snaps at impact is the timing part of it, not the whippiness. 

I would highly suggest the carbon model but depends on your swing speed, can’t go wrong with any model. I didn’t like the orange whip due to the difference in feel when switching to an actual club. These solve that as they feel like you’re swinging a real club but you also get the speed and timing benefit. Truly an amazing product. 

21 minutes ago, scott19 said:

Trust me, you won’t lose the other pieces. No reason to keep them out after using the different weights. 

The shorter model works if you really need to save space and it does have some more flex. None of these are anything close to the whippiness of the orange whip, it’s not trying to be. The ball bearing that snaps at impact is the timing part of it, not the whippiness. 

I would highly suggest the carbon model but depends on your swing speed, can’t go wrong with any model. I didn’t like the orange whip due to the difference in feel when switching to an actual club. These solve that as they feel like you’re swinging a real club but you also get the speed and timing benefit. Truly an amazing product. 

Scott19,

thank you for your response and helpful information.

I too did not like the orange whip for full swings, would mess me up before playing. Good to hear that this has a place in pregame warm up. 

For training protocols, I was thinking of using the superspeed training protocols.

I swing at around 100 mph.

1 hour ago, checkswing said:

Scott19,

thank you for your response and helpful information.

I too did not like the orange whip for full swings, would mess me up before playing. Good to hear that this has a place in pregame warm up. 

For training protocols, I was thinking of using the superspeed training protocols.

I swing at around 100 mph.

I'd go with the carbon model then! Yes, I follow the superspeed protocols as well. It's a good place to start. I believe Slingshot is working on their own protocol with a trainer but I'm not sure when that will be coming out or if it will differ very much.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cmy said:

I need something that will slow my tempo down vs speed it up.

The Slingshot training aid could work out well for you. There's a ball in the shaft that will pop out of it's spot at the top of the shaft if you take it back too fast and then it's designed to hit the bottom of the shaft at the bottom of the swing if you've timed it right. It's a good way to keep speed work going and make sure timing is in line. Otherwise I'd suggest the Gabe Golf trainer or those whippy clubs but my fear with those is losing speed over time.

Slingshot speed trainer update:

I've been using this training aid for almost two months now and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the first training aid that's lasted more than a few weeks. I'm lacking a swing speed measuring device as my Voice Caddie just isn't that reliable for swing speed but I did get on a Trackman recently. I didn't have a driver with me but I noticed that my 3 wood was jumping up to 107mph which is around 5-7mph faster than normal for me. What's been most important throughout my entire bag is strike. I'm seeing smash factors and overall contact just get better and better. I'm gaining speed and timing is getting better.

What I didn't expect was to find that I really enjoy the shortest Slingshot. It let's me really work timing and speed with something that feels more like a long iron and I love that. The owner of Slingshot now makes that model in a carbon shaft, which is exactly the improvement that was needed. I would highly suggest any of the models but for me the Tour Model is my preferred option for working on driver speed/timing and the All Star Model for the iron swings. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, scott19 said:

The Slingshot training aid could work out well for you. There's a ball in the shaft that will pop out of it's spot at the top of the shaft if you take it back too fast and then it's designed to hit the bottom of the shaft at the bottom of the swing if you've timed it right. It's a good way to keep speed work going and make sure timing is in line. Otherwise I'd suggest the Gabe Golf trainer or those whippy clubs but my fear with those is losing speed over time.

Which models should I look into?

2 hours ago, cmy said:

Which models should I look into?

Do you want something driver length or closer to a long iron? If you want driver length and have a fast swing speed then go with the Tour model. Or the Pro model if you want more flex but driver length. If you want something closer to a long iron then you really can’t go wrong with the All Star model. It’s a bit more flexible but I like using the shorter length.