Stuck Ferrules and Graphite Iron Shafts

mgoblue83

Hello Everyone,

I'm doing my first graphite iron build and I'm running into an issue with stuck ferrules. The shafts are .370 and I've confirmed the ferrules are also .370.

My process after tip trimming the recommended amount (same process I've used with countless steel shafted clubs without problems):

Tip prep to hosel bore depth (1 1/4in ish)

Apply a small amount of epoxy to the tip and use it as a lubricant to slide the ferrule on.

Insert the shaft into the club head and apply pressure to make sure the ferrule is seated all the way on.

The problem I'm having with these graphite shafts is that the paint layer is very thick and the ferrule is getting caught on the paint above the prepped tip. It literally won't slide past the prepped tip (I've applied a lot of pressure) unless I apply heat which risks warping the ferrule. 

The "easy" solution would be to grind more paint off up to where the ferrule would sit but I really don't want to risk grinding slightly too much and having be visible above the ferrule. Also, if I ever wanted to pull the shafts and use a different size ferrule (or sell the shafts) it wouldn't work. 

Has anyone run into this? Is there an easy solution I'm not aware of?

Thank you!

Edited by mgoblue83

• mgoblue83 changed the title to Stuck Ferrules and Graphite Iron Shafts

All you need to do is use some heat to soften the ferrule up.   Heat a cup of water in the microwave until it starts to boil then put the ferrule onto the tip but dont push it on yet.   Stick it into the hot water for about 10 seconds then push it on all the way with the hosel.  Should slide on very easily.   If it's getting stuck when you try it cold, it will likely not need any epoxy.

• Like 4

As Stuart already mentioned, heat does wonders for expanding ferrules enough to get them on the shaft.  With practice, very easy to use a quick moving heat gun or torch to accomplish the same thing, just wouldn't practice on graphite to start.

• Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I ended up using a heat gun on the ferrule that got stuck but it slightly warped the ferrule when sliding on. The color ring in the ferrule ended up slightly tilted. 

Stuart, are you saying to stick the tip of the shaft into the water with the ferrule attached? Wouldn't the hot water mess with the exposed graphite or at least make it impossible to glue on the club heads without letting it dry first?

I’ve used both methods and found the heat gun works the best for me...but be careful you only need a little bit of heat or you can melt or deform the ferrule. 

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

6 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I ended up using a heat gun on the ferrule that got stuck but it slightly warped the ferrule when sliding on. The color ring in the ferrule ended up slightly tilted. 

Stuart, are you saying to stick the tip of the shaft into the water with the ferrule attached? Wouldn't the hot water mess with the exposed graphite or at least make it impossible to glue on the club heads without letting it dry first?

No you just need to toss the ferrules by themselves in hot water.  They will expand on their own due to the heat.

• Like 2

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

12 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

There is a big difference in the output of most heat guns and the temperature of hot water (like 150*+ versus under 100*). 

What others are recommending is similar to how you’d prep a mouth guard. The hot water is just heating the ferrule enough to make it pliable. 

Edited by cwilk
  • Like 1

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

4 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Let them dry off first? Or does a little water on them not affect anything?

Slight shake is all you need if anything, that little bit of water wouldn't effect anything.  You want them to still be warm when you try to set them.  Working quickly is key.

Spider Tour X3

46 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

No you just need to toss the ferrules by themselves in hot water.  They will expand on their own due to the heat.

You can do it that way but I prefer to use the tip of the shaft to both stick them in and remove them from the hot water.  I'm certainly not going to stick my fingers in there 🙂

But no, the hot water wont do anything to hurt the shaft or effect anything as long as you make sure it's dry by the time you apply the epoxy to glue the head onto the shaft.   And the almost boiling hot water usually dries pretty fast.

Edited by Stuart_G

I always dry fit and mark them first. Then use a ferrule installer to hammer them on tight so they'll never move. The ferrules also have a countersink so epoxy gets in where it meets the club head. It sounds like in your previous builds, the ferrules you had were too big. Now it sounds like you have the proper size ferrules. Even though they're .370 they should still be snug. You shouldn't be able to simply slide a ferrule on by hand all the way to it's final seat. There should be resistance. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

You can do it that way but I prefer to use the tip of the shaft to both stick them in and remove them from the hot water.  I'm certainly not going to stick my fingers in there 🙂

But no, the hot water wont do anything to hurt the shaft or effect anything as long as you make sure it's dry by the time you apply the epoxy to glue the head onto the shaft.   And the almost boiling hot water usually dries pretty fast.

Spoon...caveman...spoon  🙂

• Like 1

Spider Tour X3

37 minutes ago, Skhacker said:

I always dry fit and mark them first. Then use a ferrule installer to hammer them on tight so they'll never move. The ferrules also have a countersink so epoxy gets in where it meets the club head. It sounds like in your previous builds, the ferrules you had were too big. Now it sounds like you have the proper size ferrules. Even though they're .370 they should still be snug. You shouldn't be able to simply slide a ferrule on by hand all the way to it's final seat. There should be resistance. 

I know it sounds like that but it's not the case. In previous builds with steel shafts I would use epoxy as lube and would use quite a bit of force to hammer them into place but they always fit without a problem. With this graphite build the painted shaft is significantly larger than the .370 ferrule and it literally will not fit on the shaft using any amount of force. The ferrule fits perfectly onto the prepared tip after sanding off the paint but once it hits the paint further up it's a brick wall. With further research the shafts are made to .370 BEFORE paint and finish is added so it sounds like this is expected I just wasn't sure how to deal with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I know it sounds like that but it's not the case. In previous builds with steel shafts I would use epoxy as lube and would use quite a bit of force to hammer them into place but they always fit without a problem. With this graphite build the painted shaft is significantly larger than the .370 ferrule and it literally will not fit on the shaft using any amount of force. The ferrule fits perfectly onto the prepared tip after sanding off the paint but once it hits the paint further up it's a brick wall. With further research the shafts are made to .370 BEFORE paint and finish is added so it sounds like this is expected I just wasn't sure how to deal with it. 

Buy yourself a rat-tail file and file the inside diameter a little.  Or use a dremel attachment.  Problem solved.

Square hole - round peg.  There's always an easy solution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

Try one of these. Small hammer after marking depth. 

EA000A37-AD6F-40F7-8F63-04D78D59330C.jpeg

As Socrates said file out the inside of the ferrule until it fits more easily.

I use a round file and place it in my drill...place the ferrule over the file and move it back and forth while the drill is turning the file.  This will remove a very small amount of the the interior surface and allow you to fit it better in these situations.

Epoxy in the hosel will adhere to the ferrule and keep it secure once in place.

Good luck!

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

2 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

As Socrates said file out the inside of the ferrule until it fits more easily.

I use a round file and place it in my drill...place the ferrule over the file and move it back and forth while the drill is turning the file.  This will remove a very small amount of the the interior surface and allow you to fit it better in these situations.

Epoxy in the hosel will adhere to the ferrule and keep it secure once in place.

Good luck!

6 minutes ago, GLF4EVR said:

One thing made for a works very well.  It is made for sharpening chainsaws. 

Sharpening Stones, 7/32

Someone always has a better mousetrap.  That's right, the square hole.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 9:34 AM, Stuart_G said:

The boiling water trick saved me a headache tonight. Thank you!!!!

Edited by olsonel14

All of these methods are good, I like hot water for most issues either installing or taking off.  I wanted to also mention another method for installation that has worked for me many times , use a little acetone or nail polish remover. Take a q-tip dip it in the acetone and swab the inside of the ferrule. The ferrule will slide right up to any position.

Take care and good luck to all.

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

On 1/27/2021 at 9:00 AM, Stuart_G said:

All you need to do is use some heat to soften the ferrule up.   Heat a cup of water in the microwave until it starts to boil then put the ferrule onto the tip but dont push it on yet.   Stick it into the hot water for about 10 seconds then push it on all the way with the hosel.  Should slide on very easily.   If it's getting stuck when you try it cold, it will likely not need any epoxy.

yup. Came here to say the exact same thing. 

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003