Stuck Ferrules and Graphite Iron Shafts

Hello Everyone,

I'm doing my first graphite iron build and I'm running into an issue with stuck ferrules. The shafts are .370 and I've confirmed the ferrules are also .370.

My process after tip trimming the recommended amount (same process I've used with countless steel shafted clubs without problems):

Tip prep to hosel bore depth (1 1/4in ish)

Apply a small amount of epoxy to the tip and use it as a lubricant to slide the ferrule on.

Insert the shaft into the club head and apply pressure to make sure the ferrule is seated all the way on.

The problem I'm having with these graphite shafts is that the paint layer is very thick and the ferrule is getting caught on the paint above the prepped tip. It literally won't slide past the prepped tip (I've applied a lot of pressure) unless I apply heat which risks warping the ferrule. 

The "easy" solution would be to grind more paint off up to where the ferrule would sit but I really don't want to risk grinding slightly too much and having be visible above the ferrule. Also, if I ever wanted to pull the shafts and use a different size ferrule (or sell the shafts) it wouldn't work. 

Has anyone run into this? Is there an easy solution I'm not aware of?

Thank you!

Edited by mgoblue83
  • mgoblue83 changed the title to Stuck Ferrules and Graphite Iron Shafts
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All you need to do is use some heat to soften the ferrule up.   Heat a cup of water in the microwave until it starts to boil then put the ferrule onto the tip but dont push it on yet.   Stick it into

No you just need to toss the ferrules by themselves in hot water.  They will expand on their own due to the heat.

Buy yourself a rat-tail file and file the inside diameter a little.  Or use a dremel attachment.  Problem solved.   Square hole - round peg.  There's always an easy solution.

Posted Images

All you need to do is use some heat to soften the ferrule up.   Heat a cup of water in the microwave until it starts to boil then put the ferrule onto the tip but dont push it on yet.   Stick it into the hot water for about 10 seconds then push it on all the way with the hosel.  Should slide on very easily.   If it's getting stuck when you try it cold, it will likely not need any epoxy.

• Like 4

As Stuart already mentioned, heat does wonders for expanding ferrules enough to get them on the shaft.  With practice, very easy to use a quick moving heat gun or torch to accomplish the same thing, just wouldn't practice on graphite to start.

• Like 1

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

I ended up using a heat gun on the ferrule that got stuck but it slightly warped the ferrule when sliding on. The color ring in the ferrule ended up slightly tilted. 

Stuart, are you saying to stick the tip of the shaft into the water with the ferrule attached? Wouldn't the hot water mess with the exposed graphite or at least make it impossible to glue on the club heads without letting it dry first?

I’ve used both methods and found the heat gun works the best for me...but be careful you only need a little bit of heat or you can melt or deform the ferrule. 

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15* Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21* Tensei Red R / Titliest 818 H1 25*(24*) Tensei Red R
  • Irons - Mizuno 919 HM Pro 5-PW UST Recoil 780 F3
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 34.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash
  • Grips -  Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R one wrap RH 
6 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I ended up using a heat gun on the ferrule that got stuck but it slightly warped the ferrule when sliding on. The color ring in the ferrule ended up slightly tilted. 

Stuart, are you saying to stick the tip of the shaft into the water with the ferrule attached? Wouldn't the hot water mess with the exposed graphite or at least make it impossible to glue on the club heads without letting it dry first?

No you just need to toss the ferrules by themselves in hot water.  They will expand on their own due to the heat.

• Like 2

Odyssey MXM 1W

12 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

There is a big difference in the output of most heat guns and the temperature of hot water (like 150*+ versus under 100*). 

What others are recommending is similar to how you’d prep a mouth guard. The hot water is just heating the ferrule enough to make it pliable. 

Edited by cwilk
  • Like 1

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / TM UDI 2i PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 100 6.5 / Srixon Z965 TT DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 TT DG TI S400 / TM Spider Tour Red

4 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Let them dry off first? Or does a little water on them not affect anything?

Slight shake is all you need if anything, that little bit of water wouldn't effect anything.  You want them to still be warm when you try to set them.  Working quickly is key.

Odyssey MXM 1W

46 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

You can do it that way but I prefer to use the tip of the shaft to both stick them in and remove them from the hot water.  I'm certainly not going to stick my fingers in there 🙂

But no, the hot water wont do anything to hurt the shaft or effect anything as long as you make sure it's dry by the time you apply the epoxy to glue the head onto the shaft.   And the almost boiling hot water usually dries pretty fast.

Edited by Stuart_G

I always dry fit and mark them first. Then use a ferrule installer to hammer them on tight so they'll never move. The ferrules also have a countersink so epoxy gets in where it meets the club head. It sounds like in your previous builds, the ferrules you had were too big. Now it sounds like you have the proper size ferrules. Even though they're .370 they should still be snug. You shouldn't be able to simply slide a ferrule on by hand all the way to it's final seat. There should be resistance. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

You can do it that way but I prefer to use the tip of the shaft to both stick them in and remove them from the hot water.  I'm certainly not going to stick my fingers in there 🙂

But no, the hot water wont do anything to hurt the shaft or effect anything as long as you make sure it's dry by the time you apply the epoxy to glue the head onto the shaft.   And the almost boiling hot water usually dries pretty fast.

Spoon...caveman...spoon  🙂

• Like 1

Odyssey MXM 1W

37 minutes ago, Skhacker said:

I always dry fit and mark them first. Then use a ferrule installer to hammer them on tight so they'll never move. The ferrules also have a countersink so epoxy gets in where it meets the club head. It sounds like in your previous builds, the ferrules you had were too big. Now it sounds like you have the proper size ferrules. Even though they're .370 they should still be snug. You shouldn't be able to simply slide a ferrule on by hand all the way to it's final seat. There should be resistance. 

I know it sounds like that but it's not the case. In previous builds with steel shafts I would use epoxy as lube and would use quite a bit of force to hammer them into place but they always fit without a problem. With this graphite build the painted shaft is significantly larger than the .370 ferrule and it literally will not fit on the shaft using any amount of force. The ferrule fits perfectly onto the prepared tip after sanding off the paint but once it hits the paint further up it's a brick wall. With further research the shafts are made to .370 BEFORE paint and finish is added so it sounds like this is expected I just wasn't sure how to deal with it. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I know it sounds like that but it's not the case. In previous builds with steel shafts I would use epoxy as lube and would use quite a bit of force to hammer them into place but they always fit without a problem. With this graphite build the painted shaft is significantly larger than the .370 ferrule and it literally will not fit on the shaft using any amount of force. The ferrule fits perfectly onto the prepared tip after sanding off the paint but once it hits the paint further up it's a brick wall. With further research the shafts are made to .370 BEFORE paint and finish is added so it sounds like this is expected I just wasn't sure how to deal with it. 

Buy yourself a rat-tail file and file the inside diameter a little.  Or use a dremel attachment.  Problem solved.

Square hole - round peg.  There's always an easy solution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

Try one of these. Small hammer after marking depth. 

EA000A37-AD6F-40F7-8F63-04D78D59330C.jpeg

As Socrates said file out the inside of the ferrule until it fits more easily.

I use a round file and place it in my drill...place the ferrule over the file and move it back and forth while the drill is turning the file.  This will remove a very small amount of the the interior surface and allow you to fit it better in these situations.

Epoxy in the hosel will adhere to the ferrule and keep it secure once in place.

Good luck!

Edited by BirdieBob

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE P790 - 4, 5, 6, PX IO 6.5
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TOUR CB, 5 - GW, PX IO/LS 6.5

TAYLORMADE MG2 52/9, DG TI x100; Hi-Toe 55/9, DG TI s400; MG2 60/8, DG TI s400 ONYX
VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 52/9F, DG TI x100; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper

2 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

As Socrates said file out the inside of the ferrule until it fits more easily.

I use a round file and place it in my drill...place the ferrule over the file and move it back and forth while the drill is turning the file.  This will remove a very small amount of the the interior surface and allow you to fit it better in these situations.

Epoxy in the hosel will adhere to the ferrule and keep it secure once in place.

Good luck!

6 minutes ago, GLF4EVR said:

One thing made for a works very well.  It is made for sharpening chainsaws. 

Sharpening Stones, 7/32

Someone always has a better mousetrap.  That's right, the square hole.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 9:34 AM, Stuart_G said:

The boiling water trick saved me a headache tonight. Thank you!!!!

Edited by olsonel14

All of these methods are good, I like hot water for most issues either installing or taking off.  I wanted to also mention another method for installation that has worked for me many times , use a little acetone or nail polish remover. Take a q-tip dip it in the acetone and swab the inside of the ferrule. The ferrule will slide right up to any position.

Take care and good luck to all.

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

On 1/27/2021 at 9:00 AM, Stuart_G said:

All you need to do is use some heat to soften the ferrule up.   Heat a cup of water in the microwave until it starts to boil then put the ferrule onto the tip but dont push it on yet.   Stick it into the hot water for about 10 seconds then push it on all the way with the hosel.  Should slide on very easily.   If it's getting stuck when you try it cold, it will likely not need any epoxy.

yup. Came here to say the exact same thing. 

Epic Speed 8* AD TP 6
Mavrik SZ 15* & 18* AD IZ 8

X Forged UT 21* KBS Proto S+
X Forged UT 24* $-Taper
APEX MB21  5-P - $-Taper
MD5  52s, 56W, 60w or 60x - $-Taper
Toulon San Diego Garage H5 KBS 120

Jones Trouper 2.0 @GolfDaddyPGA