Adam Scott...autoflex

6 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Nope. 

You seem like you have a lot of access to equipment and are good at testing. You should at least try it out. I average a consistent 3-4 mph more ball speed and similar spin with mine and really like it. I compared it outdoors on radar numerous times to Ventus Blue, Black, and GDTP that I have played over the past couple years. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Br1an02; said:

Can someone give me a ELI5 on the autoflex?

See my reply above.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Just now, bward said:

You seem like you have a lot of access to equipment and are good at testing. You should at least try it out. I average a consistent 3-4 mph more ball speed and similar spin with mine and really like it. I compared it outdoors on radar numerous times to Ventus Blue, Black, and GDTP that I have played over the past couple years. 

Thats pretty good. I would love to try one. I am open minded about it. Exotic shafts are a bit tougher (for me) to come by. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Have you read any of the discussion.

Marketing hype aside, the speculation is that they have included a non-Newtonian material in the shaft construction so that it actually becomes more stiff when it is swung vs when you just give it a waggle. That, combined with the light weight is supposed to allow for more speed without loss of control.

A non-Newtonian material is one that changes its properties depending on the forces applied to it. A good example is Silly Putty. Stretch it slowly and it will stretch like you would expect. Stretch it quickly and it breaks because under increased force it becomes brittle.

I have, I have read a lot of reviews, watch a bunch of videos. I am open to being proven wrong. I just see the results being tied more to being long and light and not some super secret shaft sauce. Again, happy to be wrong. 

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, QuigleyDU said:

I have, I have read a lot of reviews, watch a bunch of videos. I am open to being proven wrong. I just see the results being tied more to being long and light and not some super secret shaft sauce. Again, happy to be wrong. 

Long and light is part of it.

The increase in stiffness and resulting consistency even though it is long and light is supposed to be the secret sauce.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvincent said:

Long and light is part of it.

The increase in stiffness and resulting consistency even though it is long and light is supposed to be the secret sauce.

Right, I understand that. It is also something that would be hard to prove since it wont show on a EI or other measuring device. So I am curious, but skeptical. 

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just now, QuigleyDU said:

Right, I understand that. It is also something that would be hard to prove since it wont show on a EI or other measuring device. So I am curious, but skeptical. 

Korean Hidden Technology!

A dynamic EI test is easy enough to do in theory but nobody has ever needed one before.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jvincent said:

A dynamic EI test is easy enough to do in theory but nobody has ever needed one before.

haha.. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

16 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I have not tried it and dont have a dog in the fight but being long and light is definitely part of the success and gains people see. But its “supposed”to be as stable as the heavier stiffer stuff, so best of both worlds. Id still like to see a blind test against like a 50 gram run of the mill senior shaft. I have one in an old burner superfast that plays 46.75”. I would like to see the dispersion difference.

9 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I think the Hidden Technology and theories as to some new advanced material they developed leads to the snake oil and all marketing comments. I like the shaft and think it works, but the logical side of me also thinks that if the developers are truly sophisticated and advanced enough to develop a radically new material that exhibits such sophisticated properties that they would be putting their efforts toward larger and more profitable markets instead of making the most niche golf club shaft ever developed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Well considering there are Ventus like shafts coming out from everyone. Probably not long. But what does this shaft offer?? It is long and light.. It is nothing ground breaking.. The price tag is the hype.. 

Correct.  The high price (just like the color) is a marketing tactic.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

15 hours ago, pga43 said:

Well since the Tour has a no inside the ropes policy for media and this policy will continue at least thru March (most likely longer cuz of Covid), I don't see much "range footage"!

Greg

Greg, I believe he was talking about video. But since you're a photographer with a media pass, I don't believe you're able to take moving footage and post it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bward said:

I think the Hidden Technology and theories as to some new advanced material they developed leads to the snake oil and all marketing comments. I like the shaft and think it works, but the logical side of me also thinks that if the developers are truly sophisticated and advanced enough to develop a radically new material that exhibits such sophisticated properties that they would be putting their efforts toward larger and more profitable markets instead of making the most niche golf club shaft ever developed. 

May be the developers are just hard core golf fanatics first. Who cares, good for them to come up with something alternative that is showing results.

At least Adam is not cheaping it with a Pink NVS ladies flex in 46" and calling that a "cheap" auto flex wannabe like some thread here....r u kidding me?!?!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I feel like TXG should be able to use Gears to tell how fast someone's hands are moving vs the clubhead. With the same hand speed, if a normal shaft moves the clubhead at X speed but the auto flex has that extra kick resulting in the clubhead moving faster then we'd be able to tell.

• Like 1

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

20 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Greg, I believe he was talking about video. But since you're a photographer with a media pass, I don't believe you're able to take moving footage and post it?

Yeah the Tour really frowns on taking video.  I can make a request for each tournament & if approved it can only be like 3 minutes or less and only up for 48 hours max.  Still not going to be from inside the ropes.

Greg

• Like 3

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

24 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Pink is a marketing tactic??

Colorways are a HUGE marketing tactic.  For example in the golf world there's no better example than TM and white drivers.  

• Like 2

Edel PROTO

47 minutes ago, J13 said:

Correct.  The high price (just like the color) is a marketing tactic.  

How does that change performance or the idea of trying something before making judgements?

I typically enjoy both your and Quigly's posts, but it seems like Autoflex is the new PXG - everyone feels the need to share their expert take on something they haven't tried and have no expertise on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

13 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

How does that change performance or the idea of trying something before making judgements?

I typically enjoy both your and Quigly's posts, but it seems like Autoflex is the new PXG - everyone feels the need to share their expert take on something they haven't tried and have no expertise on.

You a bit of a point that is fair. Still, I think there is less to this than what is being made about it. Again, I am very happy to be proven wrong and will readily admit when I am. I just do not see it just yet based on everything I have seen. I think it could be a bit of a launch monitor darling but in real play.. We shall see. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I hadn't heard about this shaft till this thread.  Looked them up, damn are they light 51g-54g and COSTLY at $790 ea.  Ouch.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

48 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

You a bit of a point that is fair. Still, I think there is less to this than what is being made about it. Again, I am very happy to be proven wrong and will readily admit when I am. I just do not see it just yet based on everything I have seen. I think it could be a bit of a launch monitor darling but in real play.. We shall see. 

We are in agreement.  Part of the reason I tried the AF, and am preparing to test a ladies flex (aldila NVS) and a senior flex (c. kua) with the same head, length, weight, etc. - to see what we see!

• Like 4

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

So much hate for the Autoflex, I'm reserving judgement in either direction until we see Adam's performance with it. Practically every guy on tour is rocking some form of Ventus, so at worst this adds a level of intrigue to the gear discussion. 

The TXG guys aren't some clickbait clowns and I think it's silly to compare this to infomercial clubs. The PXG comparison is much better, a premium brand that may decrease cost when the economies of scale kick in. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bward said:

Non-Newtonian materials aren't new technology. This is arguably a new application though.

From the descriptions and feedback of people who review it the non-Newtonian material is the obvious guess. It's in Autoflex's best interest to keep the details under wraps so that if it catches on competitors will be at a disadvantage.

As to the markets for this kind of stuff, it's not a new technology and if they can make a profit in the golf industry more power to them. At $750 a pop they can make a profit pretty quickly assuming the manufacturing cost isn't out of this world.

1 hour ago, MysteryV said:

A friend of mine locally bought an autoflex so i can speak on user experience but I haven't.  In fact I made no mention of my opinion on performance. What i am saying is the price and color scheme is a marketing tactic to garner attention, which it is. Every company on the planet uses these tactics.   Again, nowhere have I made a judgement on the shaft itself even though i could.

Edited by J13
  • Like 3

Edel PROTO

36 minutes ago, cleverprimate24 said:

So much hate for the Autoflex, I'm reserving judgement in either direction until we see Adam's performance with it. Practically every guy on tour is rocking some form of Ventus, so at worst this adds a level of intrigue to the gear discussion. 

The TXG guys aren't some clickbait clowns and I think it's silly to compare this to infomercial clubs. The PXG comparison is much better, a premium brand that may decrease cost when the economies of scale kick in. 

They did make a steadfast video though....and didnt totally trash it (it was deserved)

7 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

I get that, but PINK? For men?

The shaft can come in a variety of color schemes.  The Pink is meant to grab attention, especially if it makes it to TV.  But there are different colorways for the Autoflex that can be had.

Edited by J13
  • Like 2

Edel PROTO