Adam Scott...autoflex

8 minutes ago, PhlashPhace said:

About enough to lose the tournament. Hard to win when you hit one fairway in 18 holes. 

Especially when the rough is 4 inches long.  Torrey Pines is brutal enough when it's cold.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

14 hours ago, Marc.Golf54 said:

Copying Ventus...not Autoflex 

Not saying your wrong, please help me understand a little better. Aldila is available with much lighter options, and torque values in lighter weights are night and day vs. Ventus. 

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

12 hours ago, 1s1k said:

Rahm and Hovland both in the bunker with their drives on 18.  Noticing a pattern here.

12 hours ago, 1s1k said:

How many penalty strokes has Scott received from errant drives?

12 hours ago, 1s1k said:

Rory just missed the fairway with his drive and put it in the hazard.  He should get rid of that driver shaft

12 hours ago, 1s1k said:

Reed just missed the fairway with his drive.  He should get rid of that driver shaft

It's ok, you don't need to let people on the internet make you feel insecure about your purchase. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

13 hours ago, Hacker541 said:

Blocking a tee shot off the planet is not a shaft problem it’s a bad swing. I would think it’s a fair assumption that he’s searching for something by even putting the autoflex in play this weekend it shouldn’t come as a shock he struggled with the driver. 

It started with some quick hooks and turned into him hanging on and hitting blocks.  To me it looked like a classic example of a really badly fit shaft.  

He hasn't been a very good driver this year but when you're aiming at the wrong fairway because there is trouble left it's time to take a little inventory of what's going on.  I could be totally off here but I would be surprised if he has the auto flex in the bag next time he tees it up.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Torrey4Life said:

He seemed to lose a lot of things right.  Any idea how long he's had it?  From what I've heard it takes a decent amount of time to get used to it.

Why would you want to wait around to get used to anything?  Equipment is supposed to work for you, the idea is to not adjust.  If you are adjusting, you are modifying yourself to suit the equipment when the equipment should be modified to suit you.  Defeats the purpose.

• Like 4

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I watched Scotty do his thing with the Autoflex, his error was left.  However, he was long and many drives in the fairway, so I would be surprised if he doesn't keep it in play.  But like other golf decisions, choice in driver shaft for pros may be influenced by the next course layout or chasing dispersion frustration.  IMO - at some juncture though, many tour guys are going to face an increase in dispersion because he's hitting it so far.  Time will tell.

Remember, Autoflex price is not the most expensive from boutique developers.  I agree with some other posters.  Shafts costing that much are using price as a marketing gimmick.  However, there's something to be said if price helps make inroads in the highly competitive shaft market.  When PXG started out their prices were ridiculously high.  Now, they seem to be coming down to be more reasonable. 

Back in the 90s Honma had some graphite shafts made in a White-room, where staff hand-laid titanium threads the full length of the shaft, they cost about $700 ea, and I bought two.  Would I spend that much again, no?  However, I did spend quite a bit for two Ventus Red shafts, and they were well worth the investment.  At my age, I didn't think it was possible to increase driver distance.

I am happy to have been proven wrong by Fujikura.

• Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

tested the XX this past weekend, my fitter works with a lot of pros on long island and had just gotten one in. ball speed up 6 mph, but spun off the planet and couldn't keep it in the fairway. by far the most unique feeling shaft i've tried. 

• Like 1

WITB

Sim2 - Ventus TR Blue 6x

Sim 3 Wood - PX Smoke 6.5 

Mavrik Pro 3 hybrid - Ventus Blue HB 8x

ZX 4 Utility - aerofiber 110x

P770 - Modus 120x

Milled Grind, High Toe - S400

38" Counterbalanced Phantom X9

I’ve had this shaft in the bag for 3 weeks.  I watched every review, read every article and pulled the trigger.  I took my rapsodo launch monitor to the range for the first session.  I made it a point to warm up properly and fought every urge to just start hulk smashing this thing.  My gamer is a TM sim max with a Diamana x flex at 45.5”.  Once i got to the driver I hit 5 balls with my gamer set up.  Fastest swing speed swinging as I normally would clocked in at 109 mph.  On the 6th ball I put he auto flex in...115 mph.  This can’t be.  What the hell? Was it a bad read? How is this possible?  I asked myself every question i could possibly think of.  The next 4 swings all clocked in between 113-117. I switched back to the gamer shaft thinking i must have hit my peak on balls 6-10.  I was wrong.  Couldn’t get it past 109!  Hit balls 11-15 then went back to the auto flex and 117 on ball 16!  Ok so at this point I’m convinced it’s faster no doubt.  I took a quick break and assessed what had just happened.  As i sat there i realized that every ball that i hit with the auto flex was hit nearly dead center.  I’m not good enough to hit 2-3 balls in the center of the face but this shaft somehow delivers a very consistent strike point and that alone had me sold.  I also noticed my dispersion seemed to be more consistent so I went at it again and focused on 2 things.  First, I looked at my shot pattern and secondly at the true carry distance.  The range had a piece of plywood out at 285.  I was so psyched about what I was witnessing that i took out 4 sleeves of brand new pro v’s to get a true distance test.  That’s how amazed i was that I voluntarily threw away $50 in just a few short minutes.  So my diamana would take a few hops and end up around the plywood at 285.  First poke with the auto flex  and it flew the board.  I had my buddy with me who was tracking the landing area with my rangefinder and sure enough it was out there..  Nothing could explain the massive distance gain.  Same ball, same club head, same mediocre swing....different shaft.  I will say the biggest takeaway was the inconsistency on the apex metric.  Some balls were hit really high and some were mid trajectory.  I had to eventually turn the head down to 7 degrees, add some lead tape to get to D 0.5 (optimal is D0-D1) and move it about an inch back in my stance.  That combination for me is money.  Nearly every drive I’ve hit in my last few rounds have been past 300.  My strike pattern is insane.  It’s really hard to lose the ball in either direction.  You can’t over power the shaft because it won’t perform.  I’m tryin got figure out how to build speed with my aggressive transition so that’s been challenging.  If you actually buy one of these you’ll need a few range sessions and multiple rounds and it’s imperative that you get on a radar to optimize the spin and launch.  Longest drive to date was on a par 4 which is level from tee to green.  It was a smidge down wind and i knew it was cranked so i had my buddy stand on the tee box while i went to measure.  347!   I am not a physics major or an engineer but there’s no denying it...this shaft and its dark web engineering is flipping unique.  I’m doing everything in my power to refrain from buying 12 more shafts for all my clubs.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Golfrnut said:

Why would you want to wait around to get used to anything?  Equipment is supposed to work for you, the idea is to not adjust.  If you are adjusting, you are modifying yourself to suit the equipment when the equipment should be modified to suit you.  Defeats the purpose.

Honestly bud I'm not sure how to answer this.  I get your point for sure.  Anecdotally and personally, I've been fitted quite a few times for various clubs/club sets and no matter how dialed I was in at the time the profile has always been different than what I'd used previously and required an adjustment period.  The variance and period of adjustment are undoubtedly smaller for someone like him but I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be one.  I don't have the stats in front of me but I am pretty sure that equipment switches demonstrably have a negative impact on tour pros for at least a small period - it's why we read about guys switching back to old setups from time to time.  

10 hours ago, Golfingfanatic said:

He's had it since the Masters apparently.

Thanks for that data point!  

Edited by Torrey4Life

For the numerous people here that never seem to read other golf sources than WRX here is a nice roundup on Adam Scott and the AutoFlex shaft.

https://golf.com/gear/drivers/adam-scott-driver-shaft-jon-rahm-odyssey-wall-to-wall/

Bonus content for those that won't read the article. Phil appears to have been gaming the TM Original One driver the last two events.

The entire article is a good read for the supposed gear heads here. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I watched Scotty do his thing with the Autoflex, his error was left.  However, he was long and many drives in the fairway, so I would be surprised if he doesn't keep it in play.  But like other golf decisions, choice in driver shaft for pros may be influenced by the next course layout or chasing dispersion frustration.  IMO - at some juncture though, many tour guys are going to face an increase in dispersion because he's hitting it so far.  Time will tell.

Remember, Autoflex price is not the most expensive from boutique developers.  I agree with some other posters.  Shafts costing that much are using price as a marketing gimmick.  However, there's something to be said if price helps make inroads in the highly competitive shaft market.  When PXG started out their prices were ridiculously high.  Now, they seem to be coming down to be more reasonable. 

Back in the 90s Honma had some graphite shafts made in a White-room, where staff hand-laid titanium threads the full length of the shaft, they cost about $700 ea, and I bought two.  Would I spend that much again, no?  However, I did spend quite a bit for two Ventus Red shafts, and they were well worth the investment.  At my age, I didn't think it was possible to increase driver distance.

I am happy to have been proven wrong by Fujikura.

He didn't hit many drives in the fairway.  I've never seen Adam hit so many errant drives that would curve that much like he did at Torrey Pines this past weekend.  I highly doubt we will see him with the autoflex in his bag next time he tees it up.  We might however see him with the same shaft you are gaming currently.  😉

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

9 hours ago, CardeL said:

I’ve had this shaft in the bag for 3 weeks.  I watched every review, read every article and pulled the trigger.  I took my rapsodo launch monitor to the range for the first session.  I made it a point to warm up properly and fought every urge to just start hulk smashing this thing.  My gamer is a TM sim max with a Diamana x flex at 45.5”.  Once i got to the driver I hit 5 balls with my gamer set up.  Fastest swing speed swinging as I normally would clocked in at 109 mph.  On the 6th ball I put he auto flex in...115 mph.  This can’t be.  What the hell? Was it a bad read? How is this possible?  I asked myself every question i could possibly think of.  The next 4 swings all clocked in between 113-117. I switched back to the gamer shaft thinking i must have hit my peak on balls 6-10.  I was wrong.  Couldn’t get it past 109!  Hit balls 11-15 then went back to the auto flex and 117 on ball 16!  Ok so at this point I’m convinced it’s faster no doubt.  I took a quick break and assessed what had just happened.  As i sat there i realized that every ball that i hit with the auto flex was hit nearly dead center.  I’m not good enough to hit 2-3 balls in the center of the face but this shaft somehow delivers a very consistent strike point and that alone had me sold.  I also noticed my dispersion seemed to be more consistent so I went at it again and focused on 2 things.  First, I looked at my shot pattern and secondly at the true carry distance.  The range had a piece of plywood out at 285.  I was so psyched about what I was witnessing that i took out 4 sleeves of brand new pro v’s to get a true distance test.  That’s how amazed i was that I voluntarily threw away $50 in just a few short minutes.  So my diamana would take a few hops and end up around the plywood at 285.  First poke with the auto flex  and it flew the board.  I had my buddy with me who was tracking the landing area with my rangefinder and sure enough it was out there..  Nothing could explain the massive distance gain.  Same ball, same club head, same mediocre swing....different shaft.  I will say the biggest takeaway was the inconsistency on the apex metric.  Some balls were hit really high and some were mid trajectory.  I had to eventually turn the head down to 7 degrees, add some lead tape to get to D 0.5 (optimal is D0-D1) and move it about an inch back in my stance.  That combination for me is money.  Nearly every drive I’ve hit in my last few rounds have been past 300.  My strike pattern is insane.  It’s really hard to lose the ball in either direction.  You can’t over power the shaft because it won’t perform.  I’m tryin got figure out how to build speed with my aggressive transition so that’s been challenging.  If you actually buy one of these you’ll need a few range sessions and multiple rounds and it’s imperative that you get on a radar to optimize the spin and launch.  Longest drive to date was on a par 4 which is level from tee to green.  It was a smidge down wind and i knew it was cranked so i had my buddy stand on the tee box while i went to measure.  347!   I am not a physics major or an engineer but there’s no denying it...this shaft and its dark web engineering is flipping unique.  I’m doing everything in my power to refrain from buying 12 more shafts for all my clubs.  

This feels like an ad more than a review. The fact that this is your first post as well, tells me you're a bot running cover for Autoflex stock holders. Your maidian voyage on the Tour didn't go so well and the fact that it was with a high profile player with one of the best swings out there hurts even more. That's why this ad really gets to the heart of your target audience. This shaft isn't for the stronger, faster player, at least not yet. This shaft is for the guy that wants to feel like the faster player, that physically can't or doesn't want to put the work in. Good luck, Im sure you'll do great. There are a lot of people who fit that bill its just getting it in there hands and convincing them to pay $800

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CardeL said:

What was the weight of the diamana and autoflex? What was the playing length of the autoflex?  Ive been begging someone to test it against a similar weighted shaft and flex, but to no avail. Theres no doubt that going lighter and longer will give some people extra speed. But how is it any different than your run of the mill 50g shaft? I mean since you are willing to toss 50 bucks in the can, maybe you could do that for us 😜

This is a quote form Autoflex in a "Golf" article on equipment.  They are recommending AS lower the swing weight of his driver to tighten things up.  At some point don't you lose all awareness of where the head is?  He killed it with Ventus Red.  Hope it all works out.

“If Adam has a chance, we hope he considers trying the swing weight at D1 or even D0, to further stabilize the clubhead on the downswing. The lighter swing weight should also help to increase clubhead speed and add more distance, while maintaining the face more square on impact.” 

Edited by getair23

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

37 minutes ago, getair23 said:

This is a quote form Autoflex in a "Golf" article on equipment.  They are recommending AS lower the swing weight of his driver to tighten things up.  At some point don't you lose all awareness of where the head is?  He killed it with Ventus Red.  Hope it all works out.

“If Adam has a chance, we hope he considers trying the swing weight at D1 or even D0, to further stabilize the clubhead on the downswing. The lighter swing weight should also help to increase clubhead speed and add more distance, while maintaining the face more square on impact.” 

He looked hesitant to go to his fairway woods off a couple of the tees where he needed to get the ball in play and I wonder what that has to do with such a drastically different feel in shafts between the AF and the P95 (if he's still playing that in his 16.5).

He's obviously been killing the AF in practice otherwise I'm sure it wouldn't be in the bag but it sure went badly wrong once the pressure was on.  I think he hit 9 of 28 fairways on the weekend.  

Adam Scott is in search mode and until he settles on something it's all a crap shoot.  Because tour players don't really have an off season, they use the winter as the time for testing new gear.  Come April you will know whats what with Scott.

Edited by J13
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, getair23 said:

Critical element with the Autoflex. I'm at D1.5. Had friends who stayed at their regular swing weight and they had no joy with it. As soon as they dropped the SW....things dropped in to place. Would like to try the G425 head in the Autoflex...but don't think i can get the SW down. I use the Sim 9 degree and it works incredibly well. I have an Epic Flash Sub Zero Double Diamond, it works great...had to remove the weight from the track for SW. TSI3 coming this week with lighter weights.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OcRockRoller said:

This feels like an ad more than a review. The fact that this is your first post as well, tells me you're a bot running cover for Autoflex stock holders. Your maidian voyage on the Tour didn't go so well and the fact that it was with a high profile player with one of the best swings out there hurts even more. That's why this ad really gets to the heart of your target audience. This shaft isn't for the stronger, faster player, at least not yet. This shaft is for the guy that wants to feel like the faster player, that physically can't or doesn't want to put the work in. Good luck, Im sure you'll do great. There are a lot of people who fit that bill its just getting it in there hands and convincing them to pay $800

I'm at 114mph driver speed using 505x. Does that eliminate me as a faster player? What was your experience when using the shaft? What length did you play it at? Swingweight? Any gains/losses in distance/ dispersion? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ksmiffi said:

I'm at 114mph driver speed using 505x. Does that eliminate me as a faster player? What was your experience when using the shaft? What length did you play it at? Swingweight? Any gains/losses in distance/ dispersion? 

Well that would all depend. Are you at 114 with/because of the autoflex?  Or are you like the post I quoted, in the 109 range with a more conventional weight for a stronger player?  Either way I would only classify 114 as faster now a days you would have to be on the older side of 40, give or take, but I don't really know, it's a tough thing to quantify. I do know that if you are a good teenager, 20 something, or strong player in mid 30s,  114 would be average to slow now a days or good cruising speed for golf course swings. Not swinging as hard as you can on trackman with a 50 gram shaft. Also I don't have any experience with the Autoflex, just a little rich for my blood, also I'm happy with what I'm playing 

9 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

He didn't hit many drives in the fairway.  I've never seen Adam hit so many errant drives that would curve that much like he did at Torrey Pines this past weekend.  I highly doubt we will see him with the autoflex in his bag next time he tees it up.  We might however see him with the same shaft you are gaming currently.  😉

Before putting Autoflex in the bag, Scott was gaming Ventus Red and finding a lot of fairways with some distance. 

The Autoflex rep must have had a good spiel.  He hit a few Autoflex drives really long, but you're right, too many in the rough. LOL  No doubt, shafts in 40-50 gram range will do that.  The problem is making them stiff enough and being able to swing weight them to fit the user.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

TXG basically just showed you can gain everything you can get out of the autoflex with more accuracy with a Ventus blue at plus an inch.. 

😆😆

Even though they say that is not what they prove. Even though that is exactly what they proved.. lol.. 

• Like 3

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

28 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

TXG basically just showed you can gain everything you can get out of the autoflex with more accuracy with a Ventus blue at plus an inch.. 

😆😆

Even though they say that is not what they prove. Even though that is exactly what they proved.. lol.. 

That is exactly what I took away from it as well, and I own one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

😆😆

yep that kinda put out the fire. Its longer and lighter, but not whippier...? 

• Haha 1