2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MMT 105 TX

drvrwdge

I hate posting threads like this because I understand everyone's mileage may vary but anyone have any real world experience with these? Looking at ordering in the Apex Pro's but wondering if it's worth it. I guess really the main reason is the vibration dampening. I had my tennis elbow flair up pretty bad two summers ago when I was hitting a lot of balls. Mainly looking at comparisons between the 130ish gram X stiff shafts. X100, PX 6.5, KBS Tour V etc. I have tried the DG 120 x100's and realized after playing those there will definitely be some getting used to the difference in weight with the MMT compared to what I am used to playing but will I see similar number to heavier steel while getting the vibration dampening? Is it really all that big of a difference to be worth it? Will I be sacrificing anything?

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I just built up a set of 105 TX in some Srixon ZX7's.  I was coming from a 120g range of KBS $ taper or Tour V.  I'm sure you know, even though they say 105, they are 114g so a bit heavier.  For me, they feel great and launch lower than the KBS and spin roughly the same.  Now the Srixons spin less as well.  But they are by no means soft.  They came out very tip heavy which was great for me as I didn't have to tip weight any of them to get to a normal swing weight for me.  I'm assuming that's because they are tip stiff patterned after the X100's.  

My buddy who plays 130g $taper hit them and I think it surprised him how much he liked them.  Very stable he said.  

But I haven't played them enough to know if they are going to decrease any elbow issues.  I have struggled with tendinitis before, but it's been a while.  

Why not look at the MMT 125?  

• Like 1

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

10 minutes ago, shellbmb said:

I just built up a set of 105 TX in some Srixon ZX7's.  I was coming from a 120g range of KBS $ taper or Tour V.  I'm sure you know, even though they say 105, they are 114g so a bit heavier.  For me, they feel great and launch lower than the KBS and spin roughly the same.  Now the Srixons spin less as well.  But they are by no means soft.  They came out very tip heavy which was great for me as I didn't have to tip weight any of them to get to a normal swing weight for me.  I'm assuming that's because they are tip stiff patterned after the X100's.  

My buddy who plays 130g $taper hit them and I think it surprised him how much he liked them.  Very stable he said.  

But I haven't played them enough to know if they are going to decrease any elbow issues.  I have struggled with tendinitis before, but it's been a while.  

thanks for the reply! Basically because the 105 is a stock offering in the Apex Pro. I know Ancer plays the 105’s. So thought I would just go that route. 

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

I just ordered a Combo Set of Apex/Apex Pro with the MMT 105 TX. Like you, I have elbow issues after years of playing X100 and Nippon 130X. Year before last I dropped down to DG 120 X100 then last year I went with the Steelfiber FC115 in my Apex Pros. The damping was night and day with the FC115's but they spun a little too much from the 5-7 irons. The MMT 105 TX weigh in at like 112 grams so the weight will be about the same as the FC's. Hopefully I can report back once I get the new sticks. 

• Like 2

I'll be following this one too. I don't have club building space or skills so really tinkering one club at a time is not that easy. I would love to be able to work with the 105s since they are more available, but am gaming 130g $ Tapers so was thinking the 125S or the TX soft stepped would be a better transition.

I'll be calling a few different fitting spots to see what MMT options they have to test and will report back if I am able to test them.

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

I'll be following this one too. I don't have club building space or skills so really tinkering one club at a time is not that easy. I would love to be able to work with the 105s since they are more available, but am gaming 130g $ Tapers so was thinking the 125S or the TX soft stepped would be a better transition.

I'll be calling a few different fitting spots to see what MMT options they have to test and will report back if I am able to test them.

I’ve been a few places and no one has them. 

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Last weekend had my 125 STIFFS installed but now have 6" of pow... Will report back but I wish we had 1 MMT thread and not 7..... @GolfWRX can we get a the "MMT" threads combines maybe down to 2 or 3?

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Add me to the list of folks thinking about transitioning to the 105TX.

I've essentially been a DG player my entire life, aside from a one year dalliance with PX LZs.

I'm holding out hope the local fitting spot will get them in stock so I can don't have to blind buy, but I'm definitely intrigued.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* Ventus TR Red 
Titleist TSR3 16.5* Evenflow T1100

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titleist T350 4 T200 5 T150 6-9 Accra iSeries 125

Titleist Vokey SM9 46*F (@45) / 50*F / 56*D (@55*) / 60*M DG TI X100
SC Super Select Squareback 2

About a year and a half ago I did a bunch of iron shaft testing.  I had always played DG S300 and wanted to try something different, I tried Steelfiber 110, Project X LZ 6.0 and Modus 120.  Long story short I am still playing DG S300.  Of those shafts I tried I loved the Steelfiber but could not get used to the weight difference (and its counterbalanced so that didn’t help) and it showed in my shot dispersion.  I loved how it dampened the vibrations and I am also thinking about MMT 125 or Steelfiber 125 because I liked it so much.  Point of my story be careful about weight reduction it can be harder than you think..  

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

I’ve been playing DG TIx100 for many years. I just turned 46 and battle a bad back and an elbow surgery. I have a set of Titleist 620cb with MMT 105tx being delivered tomorrow. I’ve entertained graphite for a few years and was about to try steelfibers before the MMT hit the scene. I’ll be forced to hit inside a dome for a couple months here in Michigan unless we get an occasional warmer day. I’m very excited to give these a go. The shaft won’t do much for my back, but my hands and elbows should like me better. 

On 1/27/2021 at 3:27 PM, shellbmb said:

Do you know what actual weight the MMT 95 stiff shafts are? I can’t find the actual/cut weights anywhere. 

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5 with HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX

Taylormade SIM2 Max 3 HL (16.5) with stock Ventus Blue 6S

Haywood Signature Driving Iron 18 with MMT 90S

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Apex Pro 6-PW with MMT 95S

Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 degree wedges

Odyssey putter

2 hours ago, brettmag said:

Do you know what actual weight the MMT 95 stiff shafts are? I can’t find the actual/cut weights anywhere. 

Right from the website: https://www.mca-golf.com/products/mmt™-taper-irons

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 22.24.08 .jpg

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

8 hours ago, Cruisin1966 said:

Thanks

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

Thinking about 105 TX soft stepped twice as the 105 S isn’t an option in the new Apex Pros

• Like 1

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

35 minutes ago, brettmag said:

Thinking about 105 TX soft stepped twice as the 105 S isn’t an option in the new Apex Pros

Just remember, if you don't already know, that will restrict you to 5-AW, as the MMT only has 3-PW shafts.  This was the reason I soft-stepped mine once, so I could play the 4-PW

• Thanks 1

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

11 minutes ago, Cruisin1966 said:

Just remember, if you don't already know, that will restrict you to 5-AW, as the MMT only has 3-PW shafts.  This was the reason I soft-stepped mine once, so I could play the 4-PW

Good reminder. Thanks. Guess I could get the 4 irons soft-stepped once then 5-PW twice. 

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

On 1/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, drvrwdge said:

I hate posting threads like this because I understand everyone's mileage may vary but anyone have any real world experience with these? Looking at ordering in the Apex Pro's but wondering if it's worth it. I guess really the main reason is the vibration dampening. I had my tennis elbow flair up pretty bad two summers ago when I was hitting a lot of balls. Mainly looking at comparisons between the 130ish gram X stiff shafts. X100, PX 6.5, KBS Tour V etc. I have tried the DG 120 x100's and realized after playing those there will definitely be some getting used to the difference in weight with the MMT compared to what I am used to playing but will I see similar number to heavier steel while getting the vibration dampening? Is it really all that big of a difference to be worth it? Will I be sacrificing anything?

I also had elbow issues last year and typical played X100 then X100 soft stepped once.  I then made the switch to DG 120 X100 and noticed it took less of a toll on my body after a range session or a round.  The DG 120 felt more "lively" to me, but my dispersion was not like it was it was in the X100 soft stepped shafts.

I am also looking at the MMT, but at 125 to keep weight in line with the X100 (although the MMT 125 is 5 grams lighter than the X100).  I just wonder is soft stepping the MMT125 TX will be just like my X100 soft stepped.  Or hard step the MMT 125 S.

Either way, keep us posted on your decision.  Curious to see what you end up going with and how it works out.  Best of luck!

• Sad 1

SIM 9.75* - Diamana DF 60X | SIM 15* - Diamana D+ 70X | SIM 19* - Diamana D+ 80X | ZX7 - shafts TBD | Zipcore 50/54/58 S400 | NP2 Button Back

12 minutes ago, Cruisin1966 said:

Another alternative since I’m doing an Apex and Apex Pro combo would be Apex 4-6 with the 95S then 7-PW 105TX soft-stepped twice. 

Thoughts?

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

2 minutes ago, brettmag said:

Another alternative since I’m doing an Apex and Apex Pro combo would be Apex 4-6 with the 95S then 7-PW 105TX soft-stepped twice. 

Thoughts?

This may be a strange thing, but have you called Callaway to see if you can get the 105S even though it's not listed in the options?  I thought I saw it in some other publication, maybe I'm mistaken, but it never hurts to ask.  

As to your "combo" question, providing the swing weights aren't all over the place, you could do that.  I did something similar with my P7TW's, when I had Modus3 105S in the 4/5 irons and 120S in the rest

• Like 1

Just now, Cruisin1966 said:

This may be a strange thing, but have you called Callaway to see if you can get the 105S even though it's not listed in the options?  I thought I saw it in some other publication, maybe I'm mistaken, but it never hurts to ask.  

As to your "combo" question, providing the swing weights aren't all over the place, you could do that.  I did something similar with my P7TW's, when I had Modus3 105S in the 4/5 irons and 120S in the rest

I did call Callaway HQ and they would have to special order the MMT 105S and that would be way too much $$

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

I wish Callaway offered the MMT 125TX as a custom option. I would buy a set of the new Apex Pro irons with the 125TX soft-stepped.

The C-Taper 125 S+ has always fit me best and I think the MMT 125TX soft-stepped would match up really closely to it. I probably will try to go with the MMT 105TX to see if it works anyway though. It’s only a 12g difference in weight, so that shouldn’t throw my tempo off too much. 

Thoughts?

Ping G425 LST 9°, GD TP6X
Maltby KE4 Tour TC 14°, KINETIXX TS-F X

Maltby KE4 Tour FDI 19°, Ventus HB 8X

Takomo 101T 4-PW, KBS Tour 130X
Edison 50°, 55°, 60° KBS Tour 120S

Axis1 Tour-S

Titleist Pro V1X left dash

I happened to buy a 3i (Honma) on the BST because it had a 105TX in it.  Just wanted to try it out before swapping out anything in my current set up in case I didn’t like it.  Man I love it so much I purchased a brand new one off eBay to install into my PXG Gen 2 driving 4I.  All my irons (Gen 2 4i, Gen 3 (5-GW) all have the X100 120g shafts.  It feels so good in both the 3 and now 4I, I’m going to swap out all my irons with the MMT 105TX.  I’ve always had a very high flight and this does help a bit to lower but the main difference is the feel.  My long irons always hurt my elbow and since I’m getting older I’m getting more and more pain in the elbows and shoulders.  Have a few range sessions off hard mats and no issues at all.  Also 1 full round and again no issues.  

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 2/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, nietzscheman said:

I wish Callaway offered the MMT 125TX as a custom option. I would buy a set of the new Apex Pro irons with the 125TX soft-stepped.

The C-Taper 125 S+ has always fit me best and I think the MMT 125TX soft-stepped would match up really closely to it. I probably will try to go with the MMT 105TX to see if it works anyway though. It’s only a 12g difference in weight, so that shouldn’t throw my tempo off too much. 

Thoughts?

You can get any shaft you want through Callaway....the problem is, they will charge you the full cost of a set with a stock option plus the full cost of the exotic shaft you choose.  So if the set is $1400 and you choose a shaft like the MMT that isn’t on the normal menu, you pay an extra approx $500 for the shafts.  
I called Callaway to ask them and they confirmed.  
On the plus side - apparently such orders go through their tour dept for the build.  Oh, and you have to wait longer for your clubs.  

I decided to buy my MMTs direct from a vendor and will install them myself....

223F18A2-3B23-4A8B-981D-A1B242F0DAAE.jpeg

• Like 4

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I have that exact shaft you will love it..

• Like 2

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

If all else fails I highly recommend Will Peoples.  He's been my go to for a number of years.  I have the MMT 125 TX and they are absolutely fantastic.  I was looking for something that would launch lower than my recoil protos and spin a little less as well.  I consulted with Eric from New Level and he recommended these.  Great feel with mid/low launch and spin on the lower side.  They were supposedly designed to have the same characteristics as the X100.  They play more like the c-tapers with slightly lower launch and the same low spin but do not feel like rebar at all.  The only difference between mine and the 105 is weight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, Wardonation said:

I have that exact shaft you will love it..

Me? 

If so, may I ask....what is your driver SS or say 6 iron SS?  Are you playing them straight in or have you stepped them at all?

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

125 STIFF straight in D 112 6 iron 86

• Like 1

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

7 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

125 STIFF straight in D 112 6 iron 86

Sweet....those are very similar to my numbers.  

How do you like the shafts so far?  I will be installing them into some Apex Pro 21s I have on the way.  I've considered throwing them in my T100S irons....but leaning towards the newness.

Any steel shafts you would compare them to in terms of ball flight performance specifically?  

I just got a set of 6-W 623-M's from New Level and their M-Type Wedge in 50 degree with MMT Shafts.  I got the MMT 105-TX in the 6-W and the MMT 105S Wedge in the 50, all irons 1/2" long, 1 deg flat, stock lofts.   I am playing the 105TX straight in.   

Took a flyer on these, they had a 15% off sale going on (still is) and decided to pull the trigger on them.   I had been playing Srixon 965's with Oban CT-115's in X-  flex in Std LLL.  Wedges I alternate between Ping Gorge Tour with DG Spinners and Ping Glides with CFS Wedge shafts.   I hit my 6 iron around 190 and I hit my clubs fairly high. 

I wanted to move to graphite due to some recent elbow pain and had been waiting for other brands to come out with competitive shafts to steelfiber and recoils.  4 yrs ago when I got the srixons, the steelfibers didnt perform all that well for me so I went with the Oban at that time.  

Early first impression is that this will be a sick combo.  I have a skytrak, hit some shots over lunch quick to see how they felt, really smooth feel especially when you flush one.  Even on a poor strike, you still know where you hit it on the face.  Thinner strikes are dampened by the graphite, the same thin strike with the Srixon/Oban combo I would feel in the hand/elbow much more.   I had them spec'd out at D2 which my Srixons are as well, but in my hands the MMT's feel a touch heavier but I do like the feel.

I haven't had a chance to do a full bag compare yet, will post an update when I do (clubs just came).     The 105S Wedge in the 50 deg felt pretty good too, depending on how that goes I will order the 54 and 58 with that shaft too.    Real test will be when we can hit shots outside again once Winter ends.

Here are some pics:

Club3.jpg

club2.jpg

Club1.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I found a 95s to hit locally, and the results there were enough to get me to make the jump to order a set of Apex Pros with 105tx shafts.

Now I just have to wait for the backordered shipment...

(Good thing we still have snow on the ground)

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* Ventus TR Red 
Titleist TSR3 16.5* Evenflow T1100

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titleist T350 4 T200 5 T150 6-9 Accra iSeries 125

Titleist Vokey SM9 46*F (@45) / 50*F / 56*D (@55*) / 60*M DG TI X100
SC Super Select Squareback 2