Help MtlJeff pick irons

OK, i've posted a few times about various irons lately. I use Ping G410s currently, mostly because every now and then i like playing SGI's just so i can tell frenemies like my boy @bladehunter that you can play well with big fat ugly clubs (i'm joking blade, you know i love you!)

But then every couple of years i go back to a forging of some sort, something big enough to give me a bit of forgiveness but that still feels nice, and helps me fit in better in my interclubs and mid-ams. Prior iterations of this include 2016 Apex pros, and 2015 JPX850 Forged. 

I want new irons. I don't NEED new irons i just want them. I also can't get fit because of Covid. This is a luxury purchase. Please don't tell me to get fitted. This is a luxury purchase. I basically have it narrowed down to:

1) Callaway Apex Pro '21: I feel like these are too small for me. I'm a little concerned about playing the 4-5 irons. 

2) Srixon ZX5/7 combo set: They look nice, but not crazy about the ZX5 loft bunching at the bottom, they have 3 irons in a 4 degree gap. Plus no gap wedge in lefty....ehh. Not good

2) Mizuno JPX921 SEL: Seems to make sense on paper. Loft spacing is nice. Forgiveness in the long irons and a gap wedge in lefty

3) TMAG P770: These are my favorite right now. I hear they are slightly bigger than the Callaways. They look really sexy with the blade-ish design...And TMAG has the best shaft offering, for example i really want to try Modus 130s and they are a free shaft with the P770s

So basically....Can anyone convince me not to get the TMAGs? 

You have 24 hours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/ Diamana D+ 95
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So as long as the OEM confirms the order with no upcharge here it is:   Cobra Forged TEC 4-GW with Modus 130s   King MIM black 56 and 60    Thank you, and good night

So my Cobra order was all good. No upcharge on the Modus or crazy lead times or lack of lefty heads   So i'm all set.   thanks again, this was fun

Pull a Fleetwood and mix it up.  You'll be more intimidating.  I say older generation long irons from Srixon (4-5?), 770's 5 or 6-P.  Get a non set gap wedge, and make sure it does not match your sand

Posted Images

The 770s are an awesome looking iron. I've heard 'feel' is just ok and maybe not Mizuno soft but I can't comment on that personally. I'd 100% combo with a 790 4 iron. Would be an awesome set of clubs. Honestly, couldn't go wrong with any of those options. 

Srixon z785 9.5'
Srixon F85 3W 15'
Ping G Hybrid - 18'
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
Titleist SM7 54' and 58' - S Grind
Bobby Grace Tour Triple Diamond

2 minutes ago, XHoop24 said:

The 770s are an awesome looking iron. I've heard 'feel' is just ok and maybe not Mizuno soft but I can't comment on that personally. I'd 100% combo with a 790 4 iron. Would be an awesome set of clubs. Honestly, couldn't go wrong with any of those options. 

Thanks, to be honest the thing that really has me hooked is the free Modus shafts. I believe they are the only one who offers this.

I really want to try the 130's , have hit them briefly as part of a fitting and liked them

Plus the P770s look really nice, and a "big" blade has been a long time want for me. I actually asked Scratch golf to make me a set for my wedding present, but the lefty thing was a bad fit for them

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

49 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

You have 24 hours. 

Haha...feel like this should be accompanied by a giant 24 countdown on the screen and a closeup of Kiefer Sutherland...wait, I’ve got it: 🤣🤣

kiefer sutherland fangirl challenge GIF

• Haha 2

TaylorMade SIM Max D (10.5*) / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

TaylorMade SIM Max D (16*) / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4 FW

Srixon Z U85 (20*) / UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

TaylorMade P770 (4-PW) / Project X Rifle 6.0

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦

I wouldn’t consider the 770 a “big blade”, to my eye it’s a pretty small club head. Like others have said the feel just isn’t the same as the Mizunos or Srixon’s. For me, the Srixon combo would be the first choice, followed by some sort of Mizuno combo set. 

a buddy of mine had the 770’s and recently switched to the 921 Forged and is hitting those much better. 

DriversPXG Proto 0811x (10.5) Ventus Blue Velocore "Patriot Edition" 6 (stiff)....back up: Callaway Mavrik Subzero / Aldila Rogue White 60s
Fairway:  Taylormade Rocketballz (15)

Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler (18.5) / Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) / Aldila Tour Blue 85 (stiff)
Irons:  Cleveland UHX (5), Srixon Z565 (6-Aw) / Recoil 110 (F5)
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore (54/12) / Nippon Modus 115w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom)....back up: Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9Ht (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9

Slightly different perspective on the Srixon loft for your consideration...

I will have a legit shoot out this Spring between i210 and a ZX5/ZX7 combo, BST the loser and commit to the winner for at least two years.

While open minded I hope the Srixon’s win because I can go from 27 deg to 46 deg with one less club and provide some options at either end of the bag.  Could probably go as low as 24 in Srixon ZX5 or Utility as well based on LM numbers but I’m very happy with the hybrids I’ve got.

BL - their loft progression is a little wacky but as long as 5 degrees from 31 and higher doesn’t create issues for you it can be turned to an advantage...

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

bet it would be fun seeing these show up.  
set you get to salt and pepper to your taste.  

https://www.golfsub70.com/

otherwise the 410 not are a complete pendulum swing into the SGI world. The penultimate SGI from ping would be the g710

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s
Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 5-U 

mizuno T7 54° Bent to 52°
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind bent to 56°
Ping glide 2 58°. ES bent to 60°
Ping anser

Go Mizuno.  I have no other reason other than your comment on them and my previous experience with them (the product and the company).  That's all I've got...

Edited by 14max

--------------------------- modern ---------------------------

Driver PING G10 (12*)

Fairway Woods Callaway Big Bertha Warbird (16*, 20*, 24*)

Irons PING G10 XG (5-9, PW, UW)

Wedges PING Eye2 XG (55*, 60*)

Putter PING Karsten 1959 Anser X (35")

------------------------------ classic ------------------------------

Woods Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawk Eye (10*, 14*, 18*)

Irons PING ISI-S (4-9, PW, SW)

Putter PING Anser X (35")

9 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

I wouldn’t consider the 770 a “big blade”, to my eye it’s a pretty small club head. Like others have said the feel just isn’t the same as the Mizunos or Srixon’s. For me, the Srixon combo would be the first choice, followed by some sort of Mizuno combo set. 

a buddy of mine had the 770’s and recently switched to the 921 Forged and is hitting those much better. 

Thanks for chiming in, how big are the P770? I have read that they are a bit bigger than the Apex Pro 2021. 

I am a pretty good ballstriker and play off a 0.6 currently. I don't like blades, but am fine with smaller clubheads if the 4 and 5 iron are somewhat playable. 

If the P770 is similar to say, the Cobra Forged TEC....that would be fine

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Pull a Fleetwood and mix it up.  You'll be more intimidating.  I say older generation long irons from Srixon (4-5?), 770's 5 or 6-P.  Get a non set gap wedge, and make sure it does not match your sand and lob.  No one will want to play you for money.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

M6 Driver, Paderson Kinetixx

M4 16.5, Paderson Kinetixx Launch

Rogue Heavenwood, Paderson Kinetixx Launch

Rogue 21 Hybrid, KBS Tour Proto Hybrid shaft 

Apex '19 5-P, KBS tour 90

MD4 50, 54, 58 (Raw), KBS tour 90

Odyssey 7 triple track slant neck/ Toulon Custom Madison Long neck

2 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I give up. Get them.

What are you giving up on? Have you tried to convince me of anything to date? LOL

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

2 minutes ago, 14max said:

Go Mizuno.  I have no other reason other than your comment on them and my previous experience with them (the product and the company).  That's all I've got...

On paper the 921 SEL makes a lot of sense. I am definitely still considering those, and am convinced i could easily play them

The P770 looks really nice and has the Modus shafts at no upcharge

If the TMAGs are not too intimidating i like them. But if people are convinced they are maybe a bit too small....the Mizunos are the choice

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

1 minute ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Combo set? ZX5? LOL, you're a player!

Since it's luxury - the ZX7s are pretty sexy, and since you'll need a wedge then you'll just get yourself some nice custom wedges starting with GW from @joey3108! That's true luxury, you Canadians need to work on conspicuous consumption. 😉

It's just hard for me to go Srixon over the 921 SEL...i like the Mizuno gaps better in the irons and i can get a set gap wedge

No difference in the shafts , i'd probably go AMT tour White in either and both are free for those. 

The Srixons are sexy, i mean nothing against them. I just think the Mizunos offer a tiny bit more

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

2 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Thanks for chiming in, how big are the P770? I have read that they are a bit bigger than the Apex Pro 2021. 

I am a pretty good ballstriker and play off a 0.6 currently. I don't like blades, but am fine with smaller clubheads if the 4 and 5 iron are somewhat playable. 

If the P770 is similar to say, the Cobra Forged TEC....that would be fine

My buddy had the Rogue Pro/770/HMB and now 921...he said the 770 and HMB were pretty comparable. Forged Tec are bigger and more my style for a low double digit handicapper. 

DriversPXG Proto 0811x (10.5) Ventus Blue Velocore "Patriot Edition" 6 (stiff)....back up: Callaway Mavrik Subzero / Aldila Rogue White 60s

Putter:  Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom)....back up: Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9Ht (Custom)

48 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Thanks, to be honest the thing that really has me hooked is the free Modus shafts. I believe they are the only one who offers this.

I really want to try the 130's , have hit them briefly as part of a fitting and liked them

Plus the P770s look really nice, and a "big" blade has been a long time want for me. I actually asked Scratch golf to make me a set for my wedding present, but the lefty thing was a bad fit for them

The P7MC are REALLY nice irons. You could do 8-PW in those for a beauty combo. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 8* Rogue White 130MSI 70x | Ventus Black 6x

Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* Rogue White 130MSI 80x | Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB, 56* TW Grind, 60* TW Grind Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey WH Pro #7 | Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Srixon Z-Star XV

Ping Hoofer

1 minute ago, eddiebigeddie said:

My buddy had the Rogue Pro/770/HMB and now 921...he said the 770 and HMB were pretty comparable. Forged Tec are bigger and more my style for a low double digit handicapper. 

Hmmmm, you might need to ask Mizuno for a commission here because you're doing a good job leaning me there. 

If the P770 is smaller than the forged TEC....i'm a little concerned

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Just now, MtlJeff said:

Hmmmm, you might need to ask Mizuno for a commission here because you're doing a good job leaning me there. 

If the P770 is smaller than the forged TEC....i'm a little concerned

770 100% smaller then Forged Tec...I’ve been playing 0211 and now Srixon 565’s and those are same size as Forged Tec, the 770’s scared me looking down at them. Don’t get me wrong they’re beautiful but not for my game and I’m a decent ball striker. 

[deleted]

Edited by nsxguy

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

1 minute ago, eddiebigeddie said:

770 100% smaller then Forged Tec...I’ve been playing 0211 and now Srixon 565’s and those are same size as Forged Tec, the 770’s scared me looking down at them. Don’t get me wrong they’re beautiful but not for my game and I’m a decent ball striker. 

Thanks dude, appreciate it. Just to confirm you are talking about the "blade" Forged TEC right? (https://www.cobragolf.ca/king-forged-tec-irons)

I have held these in golftown many times so i'm very familiar with the size. if the TMAG's are noticeably smaller than this that's an issue.

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

It's just hard for me to go Srixon over the 921 SEL...i like the Mizuno gaps better in the irons and i can get a set gap wedge

No difference in the shafts , i'd probably go AMT tour White in either and both are free for those. 

The Srixons are sexy, i mean nothing against them. I just think the Mizunos offer a tiny bit more

I'm just channeling my desire to get some ZX7s, lol.  Looked on the Mizuno site, those are really nice irons - then I went to the reviews and the second one starts with "Get fitted!", haha.  Doesn't look like anyone could go wrong with them!

2 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

[deleted]

I'm not willing to do that, i just don't like the lofts associated with [deleted]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

2 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

I'm a Mizuno guy so it's hard to argue against that. But I will. 

The Apex pros look awesome and I'll bet they feel pretty darn good too. You can always get the regular Apex in the 4-5 and go Pro in the rest of the set. 

My pro is a Callaway guy and he's pushing hard on these. But it's a really long shot

If i'm talked about of the P770's it's almost certainly gonna be 921 SELs

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

3 minutes ago, wobgon said:

How about some new Honma TW 747v's and use the extra 700.00 for a good time.

I'd like to order these through my pro shop. Our head pro is a really good dude.

He can't order Honma or PXG for example...

So it's mostly just the mainstream OEMs

SGC #002 flow neck 385g