Try to tell me it’s not ego

Tree Levino

11 hours ago, DLiver said:

OMG who cares about this crap!?!? No one knows what iron I hit ever. Do guys stand around an announce their club and distance after a shot. Holy crow. Heck 99% of the guys I play with (all indexes <9) don't even know what clubs everyone plays, unless they're considering a new set and start asking around.

Haha I agree. It only bugs me when I'm looking at clubs I'd like to buy/game and they have a 44° PW. I'm used to a 47° PW and a 52° GW and have played this combo for years. A lot of modern sets seem to have a 43°-45° PW and a 49°-50°. Heck it seems like modern lofts just means dropping my 47° club and jumping straight from my 43° 9 iron to a 50° GW. That would leave me with a big distance hole in the 'scoring' clubs. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

7 hours ago, CokeZero said:

This pic is fuzzy enough that it doesn't automatically dox me lol, but yeah I really am, have been for a while.. But bruh apex and descent angle are never implied. They're the point. I don't care at all how I launch it, I care about how high it gets, how much spin is retaining through the air and how it lands. That's how I know where my pockets are and how I have to play the shot and how much room I have. And even Trackman doesn't tell the whole story because the software hasn't been programmed to take in some of the real world variables and impact conditions. 

Now if you can tell me as a player why, without a laser, just looking the shot over into a green from the fairway or first cut you want the 4I-PW to apex at the same number; what the ultimate advantage is to doing that I'll be happy to walk you through a couple things that set course records with the flag up. On the level, for real. Hell I all but answered the question just in setting the situation..

Screenshot_20201108-112145_YouTube.jpg

I don’t believe I want both to apex the same. I’d prefer the short irons be lower flighted than the 3/6 irons.  Of course with the option of many different windows. But as a general rule. High long irons. Flighted short irons. Green conditions and wind of course dictate that exceptions exist. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

13 hours ago, DLiver said:

OMG who cares about this crap!?!? No one knows what iron I hit ever. Do guys stand around an announce their club and distance after a shot. Holy crow. Heck 99% of the guys I play with (all indexes <9) don't even know what clubs everyone plays, unless they're considering a new set and start asking around.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only guy here that can't remember the last time someone asked me what club I hit. I'll bet its been 25 years since I asked someone that question. I just don't see the point. Party on.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

10 hours ago, CokeZero said:

This pic is fuzzy enough that it doesn't automatically dox me lol, but yeah I really am, have been for a while.. But bruh apex and descent angle are never implied. They're the point. I don't care at all how I launch it, I care about how high it gets, how much spin is retaining through the air and how it lands. That's how I know where my pockets are and how I have to play the shot and how much room I have. And even Trackman doesn't tell the whole story because the software hasn't been programmed to take in some of the real world variables and impact conditions. 

Now if you can tell me as a player why, without a laser, just looking the shot over into a green from the fairway or first cut you want the 4I-PW to apex at the same number; what the ultimate advantage is to doing that I'll be happy to walk you through a couple things that set course records with the flag up. On the level, for real. Hell I all but answered the question just in setting the situation..

So basically you called me a flaming idiot and yet the only disagreement remaining is whether or not height and/or descent angle are implied in a discussion of fitting and loft. I think they are implied, and I'll tell you why. First of all, I made the statement and I considered it implied. Second, any reputable fitter will incorporate those metrics. When I'm fortunate enough to have the time and resources for a fit I know for certain that the people I go to incorporate it, because I've experienced it. Third, and I could be wrong on my physics and math here, but I suspect that if launch angle, ball speed, and spin rates are given, then peak height and descent angle can be derived. At least in calculations which I agree come behind what happens outside in the real world. Given carry distance as I mentioned, it should be even simpler to back into it. Again, I could be wrong on the math and physics, but I'm thinking the monitors take measurement at impact and the brief moments before and after to calculate the rest. Certainly some track the ball in flight, but that just refines the accuracy.

I'm not a pro. I'm also not an instructor. I'm a consumer who prefers to try to understand the qualitative and quantitative aspects. I've been playing since I was 4 or 5, started caddying at our club when I was 12, and more recently I've spent almost a decade caddying in varying frequency at a globally renowned resort. It's been a great fit for graduate school, launching a new career, changing my mind on that, etc. It's also been an eye-opener to deal with the different atmosphere of a high-end resort vs a laid-back but nice country club. While I've caddied for the occasional tour pro and a fairly regular rotation of club pros and good players, the vast majority of our guests are average golfers. I've spent more time with 20-handicaps helping them enjoy the round as much as possible than most instructors have. So, when it comes to industry trends, I feel like I have enough experience to contribute a couple points without being labelled a "hot mess".

I don't represent the resort I caddie at. I only speak for myself. While it is impressive for somebody to set course records, it is also extremely satisfying to have a guest finish up their round and tell me that I was a major part of making their experience better than they ever thought it could be. There are different ways to define success, but I don't consider myself a failure regardless of what you or your grandpappy might think. I'm also not contributing to the toxic, unfortunate nature of the internet. I only commented on this thread to counter somebody who was, and since I don't feel like continuing those debates, I'll leave it at that.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bnperrone said:

So basically you called me a flaming idiot and yet the only disagreement remaining is whether or not height and/or descent angle are implied in a discussion of fitting and loft. I think they are implied, and I'll tell you why. First of all, I made the statement and I considered it implied. Second, any reputable fitter will incorporate those metrics. When I'm fortunate enough to have the time and resources for a fit I know for certain that the people I go to incorporate it, because I've experienced it. Third, and I could be wrong on my physics and math here, but I suspect that if launch angle, ball speed, and spin rates are given, then peak height and descent angle can be derived. At least in calculations which I agree come behind what happens outside in the real world. Given carry distance as I mentioned, it should be even simpler to back into it. Again, I could be wrong on the math and physics, but I'm thinking the monitors take measurement at impact and the brief moments before and after to calculate the rest. Certainly some track the ball in flight, but that just refines the accuracy.

I'm not a pro. I'm also not an instructor. I'm a consumer who prefers to try to understand the qualitative and quantitative aspects. I've been playing since I was 4 or 5, started caddying at our club when I was 12, and more recently I've spent almost a decade caddying in varying frequency at a globally renowned resort. It's been a great fit for graduate school, launching a new career, changing my mind on that, etc. It's also been an eye-opener to deal with the different atmosphere of a high-end resort vs a laid-back but nice country club. While I've caddied for the occasional tour pro and a fairly regular rotation of club pros and good players, the vast majority of our guests are average golfers. I've spent more time with 20-handicaps helping them enjoy the round as much as possible than most instructors have. So, when it comes to industry trends, I feel like I have enough experience to contribute a couple points without being labelled a "hot mess".

I don't represent the resort I caddie at. I only speak for myself. While it is impressive for somebody to set course records, it is also extremely satisfying to have a guest finish up their round and tell me that I was a major part of making their experience better than they ever thought it could be. There are different ways to define success, but I don't consider myself a failure regardless of what you or your grandpappy might think. I'm also not contributing to the toxic, unfortunate nature of the internet. I only commented on this thread to counter somebody who was, and since I don't feel like continuing those debates, I'll leave it at that.  

So that's either Streamsong or Pinehurst, I'll guess. If it's SS tell big Nate hi.

I was at Pebble a while when I decided to start to get back into the game and into game shape. I still like the place very much but it's got an expiration date, and got accomplished what I needed to. Its been said that a true lifer in this game has to spend enough time in Ayrshire, Monterey and the Sandbelt to truly understand this insane thing we call golf. True enough, but getting back on topic there are nuances and truths in this game and there's a lot of math and science for sure but they are deferential to a holistic philosophy. 

This is a results oriented task. The lowest score wins. Information is easy this day but knowledge is power and the freedom to bend certain things to your will. And there are limits, this is my passion but it's also at the end of the day just a big puzzle. It's not the end all be all. And I never called you stupid, so stop being so butthurt. Chill out millennial, think of it this way: the human writing this is pushing 50, has been doing this since 1980 and has knowledge and experience that maybe 20 people in the world have. He's pretty comfy with that, and only does things on his terms but likes talking shop on occasion. If that's not of interest no worries Jr Varsity. 

Peace Love & Inner Awareness 

On 1/27/2021 at 8:09 PM, TigerInTheWoods said:

So I’m hitting balls into the net tonight with launch monitor. My dad has his clubs sitting there and has a P790 demo he was trying out so I decided to compare to my backup set. 

Club A: P730 6i lofted at 31* 

Club B: P790 7i lofted at 30.5*

Both clubs within a quarter inch of each other. 

Both clubs carrying between 200-205y repeatedly. Ball speed identical. Smash identical. Both are essentially the same loft. One is apparently a tech filled rocket launcher one is pure blade. 

Loft for loft, it’s smoke and mirrors - they’re the same. The difference is I’m playing 5-AW in one set or 4-PW in the other. 

If it’s not about telling your buddies that you smoothed a 7i 180 I don’t know what else to tell you. 

Embarrassing tiger photo: A

Passively disclosing longer than tour average 6 iron distance: A+

B!tching about iron lofts: B+

Somehow shoehorning blades vs cavity into the post: C (I think you could have done better here)

Almost the perfect WRX sh!tpost.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

9 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Embarrassing tiger photo: A

Passively disclosing longer than tour average 6 iron distance: A+

B!tching about iron lofts: B+

Somehow shoehorning blades vs cavity into the post: C (I think you could have done better here)

Almost the perfect WRX sh!tpost.

It’s winter. Just add something of value or carry on. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CokeZero said:

So that's either Streamsong or Pinehurst, I'll guess. If it's SS tell big Nate hi.

I was at Pebble a while when I decided to start to get back into the game and into game shape. I still like the place very much but it's got an expiration date, and got accomplished what I needed to. Its been said that a true lifer in this game has to spend enough time in Ayrshire, Monterey and the Sandbelt to truly understand this insane thing we call golf. True enough, but getting back on topic there are nuances and truths in this game and there's a lot of math and science for sure but they are deferential to a holistic philosophy. 

This is a results oriented task. The lowest score wins. Information is easy this day but knowledge is power and the freedom to bend certain things to your will. And there are limits, this is my passion but it's also at the end of the day just a big puzzle. It's not the end all be all. And I never called you stupid, so stop being so butthurt. Chill out millennial, think of it this way: the human writing this is pushing 50, has been doing this since 1980 and has knowledge and experience that maybe 20 people in the world have. He's pretty comfy with that, and only does things on his terms but likes talking shop on occasion. If that's not of interest no worries Jr Varsity. 

Peace Love & Inner Awareness 

You're not as up on your resort knowledge as you think. I'm not butthurt over any of this. I'm just pointing out that you came through here acting like a d*** but clearly you enjoy that. As you said earlier, it's by design. You are what you rail against, but I have no expectation whatsoever that you will grow self-awareness at this point in your life.

I'm not a millennial, but you're sure sounding like a boomer. If you're spending your evenings getting stoned and binging Disney+ after playing golf then I can assure you there's way more than 20 people in the world who have managed that feat. Nothing against it, but not that special. And aren't you risking your tour card hitting the pipe, or have you moved onto pain pill dependency?

Speaking in the third person now? Does George like his chicken spicy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

It’s winter. Just add something of value or carry on. 

Try to follow your advice and not get your feelings hurt.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

I hope it's not ego...I get chirped at constantly for having jacked lofts.  But I knew that buying them. 

My group plays together every weekend,.so we know each other's numbers, so if I have 7 they have 6...but we talk about it in terms of distance.  

Let me tell you what the irons mean for me...add a wedge (which I'm good with) drop a wood or hybrid (which Im bad at).  I hit long irons well, can't hit a wood or hybrid for s***. I've been fit, tried multiples, etc.  Getting better using a 4wd (5wd @ 16.5), so don't Eff with me about 3 woods...😆

so DR, 4wd, 3-PW, 46, 52, 58.  Done.  Gaps a little bigger than I'd like PW-58, but that's what they invented 3/4 shots for.  

ego?  No. Hitting a shorter length club further and just as high with a good descent angle and 500rpm less spin?  Meh...doesn't affect my game. I hit my lowest hncp with this setup, been using it for 2 yrs.  Tech will improve and I'll use what works.  Doesn't mean crap that I hit my "x" iron further than my buddies when they fly me by 20 yds with their drivers.  

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Between all the disguised profanity, condescension and and pettiness you guys are determined to get this thread locked, aren't ya ? :classic_laugh:

Edited by nsxguy
  • Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

Between all the disguised profanity, condescension and and pettiness you guys are determined to get this thread locked, aren't ya ? :classic_laugh:

C'mon man its winter. And some guys have online tough guy reps to make😉

Edited by Bad9
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 2/2/2021 at 10:39 PM, CokeZero said:

Pro tip: low caps, when they need to mix clothes in cool weather, always go long pants/short sleeves never, ever shorts/jacket.

• Haha 2

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

2 hours ago, morgan1819 said:

Maybe its already been mentioned, but the easiest solution to this "problem" is to own one set of irons with traditional lofts, and one with modern lofts.

But what about in between?  I think a third set should be not only encouraged, but required.  

Blades (traditional), current cavity backs (little higher loft), hollow, power spec rocketships (25* PW).

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

4 hours ago, morgan1819 said:

Maybe its already been mentioned, but the easiest solution to this "problem" is to own one set of irons with traditional lofts, and one with modern lofts.

What problem would owning two sets resolve? I have two sets that are both exactly the same which means I can swap them in and out seamlessly with the same wedges and hybrids combo. With different lofts you'd probably need different wedges to get the gapping right. 

Edited by kiwihacker

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

4 hours ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Pro tip: low caps, when they need to mix clothes in cool weather, always go long pants/short sleeves never, ever shorts/jacket.

Pro tip: anybody, when they want to mix clothes in cool weather, need to keep their CORE warm. Legs ? Not so much.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

4 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

What problem would owning two sets resolve? I have two sets that are both exactly the same which means I can swap them in and out seamlessly with the same wedges and hybrids combo. With different lofts you'd probably need different wedges to get the gapping right. 

You totally missed the point.  Problem was in quotes, because it's not a real problem.

It solves a hypothetical Golfwrx problem.  Get it?

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts